Your On-Line Port'o'Call

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#570722 - Yesterday at 09:28 AM Re: A much better trip this time. [Re: GoFirstClass]  
Dave R Offline
Admiral
Dave R  Offline
Admiral

Raymond NH
Originally Posted by GoFirstClass
Dave, how does the Navionics on a laptop keep track of your position? I downloaded it to my phone just to try it before we went on that trip. It worked fine, but my phone has a built in GPS. I don't think my laptop has a GPS in it.

I don't think it would work on a laptop, but most tablets (ipad etc.) have GPS built is and can connect to the cellular network, so they would operate like your smart phone when using the app. I use the Navionics web-based charts to plan a trip while sitting in my office, but not while I'm on my boat. That said, if I use my phone as a hot spot, I can access the navionics website with my laptop while on my boat, so I could review charts and such on the fly, but the laptop would still not operate like a plotter, it would be better described as an electronic chart viewer. Hope that makes sense.

"Mischief Managed"
2000 Regal 2550 LSC
7.4 MPI Bravo 3
A Word from Our Sponsors
#570723 - Yesterday at 12:03 PM Re: A much better trip this time. [Re: GoFirstClass]  
GoFirstClass Online content
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Online Content
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
Yup, that makes sense even to an old fart like me.

Thanks,

Mike

"Beachcomber" 1995 Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge

Anchor's down......Bottoms Up!
#570729 - 4 hours ago Re: A much better trip this time. [Re: GoFirstClass]  
WayWeGo Offline
Admiral
WayWeGo  Offline
Admiral

Oakton, VA
GFC, we run the Navionics app on an Android tablet and it works as well as the dedicated Simrad chartplotter, only without all the NMEA 2000 network resources (depth sounder, etc). Once I make some more changes to the electronics, we will have a chart plotter at each helm and the tablet will be able to mirror the screen of the plotter at the helm we are not using. That will give us quit a bit of capability at a reasonable price.

Garmin (who purchased Active Captain and Navionics in the last year) just announced that they are going to release Active Captain on the Navionics app by the end of this year. That will be a nice addition for those times you are out of wifi range and not able to use the Active Captain web interface.

Thinking about your power problem, I wonder if you were not running into issues with changes to the National Electric Code (NEC) that now require dock power to have ground fault protection. Depending on how it is implemented, a ground fault or leakage fault on your boat (not at all uncommon) can take down the whole dock: We have run into this before when connecting our boat with twin 30A cords. By using a 50A adapter, the problem was solved, telling me that we have an issue with how the neutrals are connected on our boat. While this is a bit dated, there is more info at: https://gilwellbear.wordpress.com/c...c-topics/emerging-ac-electrical-concern/

Last edited by WayWeGo; 4 hours ago. Reason: added details about the Navionics app

1975 Trojan F36 Convertible, Twin Chrysler 440's
2014 West Marine AL360 Inflatable, 1966 Mercury 6HP, 1992 Mercury 20HP
#570730 - 2 hours ago Re: A much better trip this time. [Re: GoFirstClass]  
GoFirstClass Online content
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Online Content
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
WWG, I read that article and found it interesting and it brings to mind a question: We overnighted at the Arlington, OR Marina. It had shore power recently installed on the docks (2017-2017) and I would assume that since it's owned by a municipality, that it would be compliant with the codes in force at that time.

We plugged in using the reverse splitter (two 30A plugs down to one 50A) and everything worked fine. Then we got to Hood River the next night. They also had a newly installed electric system on the docks. Not only did we not get any power, but the red light on the reverse adapter did not come on, indicating no power to the pedestals. No tripped breakers, zip, nada, nothing.

Then when we moved to the third dock were there was shore power that had been installed years ago, when we hooked up using the reverse adapter we got the red light indicating there was power, and when I turned on the 50A/240V breaker on the boat the LED indicators showed the power climbing up to 240V as it should have. But as soon as I flipped on the other breaker that I would normally use when hooking up only the 240V side to the boat, it tripped the dock breaker.

We reset the dock breaker and the power to the boat came back on. But when I tried flipping the breaker for any of the 240V appliances (we used the water heater breaker because it immediately draws power) it immediately tripped the dock breaker again.

So that begs the question of why, when using two different power sources (Arlington and Hood River) both of which were recently installed, did one work and the other not work?

Stymied Mike

"Beachcomber" 1995 Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge

Anchor's down......Bottoms Up!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Admin 

Sponsors
New Topics
New US Navy Patrol Boats in 2018
by Jack T. 04/24/18 01:18 PM
Battery Charger Died/What to buy
by Boatbottom. 04/21/18 08:55 AM
CHAPARRAL
by canuckchick71. 04/16/18 12:28 PM
Spring 2018 - NOT!
by Boatbottom. 04/16/18 11:45 AM
A much better trip this time.
by GoFirstClass. 04/14/18 10:52 PM
Need a few more prayers.
by Silverbullet. 04/07/18 08:41 PM
Florida Keys next Winter
by Dave R. 04/07/18 08:30 AM
2018 USASA Nationals
by Ladybugskater. 04/02/18 11:18 AM
Fastest 24' Bowrider--And Other Configs
by Jack T. 03/24/18 04:22 PM
New boat dock!
by Cycleboater. 03/20/18 04:05 PM
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 76 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
canuckchick71, Captjim, DaveyJisOK, TeapotJane, firstboat
5439 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23
Topics37,123
Posts562,068
Members5,439
Most Online252
Aug 5th, 2017