BoatingABC.com

New Chapter

Posted By: captkevin

New Chapter - 12/28/12 11:09 PM

Well it is official. As of 4 pm cst today my brother & I are owners of a house in Sullivan Illinois by Lake Shelbyville.

http://www.list-a-home.net/Bitzer/bitzer_prop_info.asp?mls=216462

Re: New Chapter - 12/28/12 11:13 PM

Not much to look at but with a lot of work it will turn into a nice little summer place. Has 4 bedroom & 1.5 baths on 4.6 acres of property.

We are going to do some major rehab

Tear off roof & replace with metal roof.

Get rid of the shingles on the side of the house & re-frame the exterior to be normal siding.

On the interior we are going to get rid of all the carpet & put in wood floors.

Tear out the kitchen

Re: New Chapter - 12/28/12 11:15 PM

Something we have been looking at for a long time & this deal was too hard to pass up. We got a great deal & are less than 1 mile from the lake. Probably less than 4 miles from the closest launch.

We have been working on this deal for awhile. It was a short sale & it took all of the planets lining up to get it closed. Glad it finally happened so I could share our news. At times it didn't seem like it would happen.
Posted By: MarkHB

Re: New Chapter - 12/29/12 12:09 AM

Real nice digs there. Congratulations.

Re: New Chapter - 12/29/12 12:20 AM

It isn't real nice now but it will be

What it does have is lots of potential

Wife has not even seen it in person - said she knows we will do a good job - shes a keeper
Posted By: Parrott_head

Re: New Chapter - 12/29/12 12:34 AM

I see lots of potential with what you have.
On the facing end you can put in a nice large screened in porch. On top of the porch roof put a railing and a door into the house. Now you have a secluded sun porch.

Extend out from the porch a bit and put in an outdoor kitchen.

I like it.

Re: New Chapter - 12/29/12 12:36 AM

If we get all of the house rehab done this year - next year will be pole barn time & then new boat.

Re: New Chapter - 12/29/12 12:38 AM

One of the bedrooms upstairs is 22' x 24'. We are going to divide it into 2 rooms 12' x 24'. That makes 5 bedrooms. Lots of rooms for friends & family.
Posted By: Dave R

Re: New Chapter - 12/29/12 12:56 AM

Congrats! That's so cool and so reasonably priced. Good luck!

I used Fabral standing seam metal roof for my "boatport". Love it.
Posted By: BToran

Re: New Chapter - 12/29/12 01:45 AM

congrats! we bought our current house on a short sale. nerve wracking process, but worth it when it works out.
Posted By: GoFirstClass

Re: New Chapter - 12/29/12 02:14 AM

Short sales are a PITA but they can provide a good deal on a home. That's how we bought our home in AZ. We ended up paying about 40% of what it sold for when new in 2007.
Posted By: CharlesS

Re: New Chapter - 12/29/12 04:39 AM

Congrats! Looking forward to watching your progress making you own.
Posted By: Mike K

Re: New Chapter - 12/29/12 12:23 PM

Congrats and good luck!
Take plenty of "before" pics.
Posted By: Dock Holiday

Re: New Chapter - 12/29/12 02:12 PM

Congrats. There is nothing more satisfying that owning real estate, especially 4.5 acres of real estate! What are you going to do with the huge lot?

Re: New Chapter - 12/29/12 02:49 PM

3 of the acres are farmed & generate $600 a year of income.

Re: New Chapter - 12/29/12 03:27 PM

Originally Posted By: captkevin

Sweet! Certainly beets cutting the grass on 3 acres.

Re: New Chapter - 12/29/12 03:29 PM

Sweet!! No mowing!!

If you are going to be doing any plumbing work try to find a place to put a drain in real low and a vent in real high. For the winter you shut the water off and gravity drain all your lines and leave the taps open.

Windshield washer fluid makes a great cheap product to put into the sink traps and toilets. A half gallon of pick Anti Freeze in the washing machine and let it do a final spin cycle.

Make sure you have a dryer vent that closes tight or field mice will make a Congo Line into your place.

Re: New Chapter - 12/29/12 04:05 PM

If you have internet access at the lake house, you can get devices to remotely monitor things such as ambient temperature inside the house.

Re: New Chapter - 12/29/12 08:28 PM

The Admiral just informed me that today is the 1 year anniversary of our lake house. Just arrived for our 2nd NYE in the house.

IMHO, your first project should be a fire pit in the yard. Nothing like knocking back a few cold ones by the fire after a long day of boating!
Posted By: Lambert Laker

Re: New Chapter - 12/29/12 10:46 PM

Congrats CK, what a sweet deal you guys have!
And more compliments to you, BT, GFC and others who have made the right financial decisions do get something like this done.
We are on the other side of a short sale currently & posts like yours are inspiration for us to get righted ASAP.
We hope to be where you are within 5-10 years.
Great stuff – looking forward to the progress thumb

Re: New Chapter - 12/29/12 11:54 PM

LL - Sorry to hear that you are on the flip side of a flip. Hopefully everything will work out for you. thumb
Posted By: kdl

Re: New Chapter - 12/30/12 11:54 AM

Congrats captkevin. Nice to have a place to get away to.
Posted By: Philr

Re: New Chapter - 12/30/12 06:14 PM

Way to go Kevin. That will be great for your two families for years to come.

BTW, does this mean I have to sell my boat next year?

Re: New Chapter - 12/30/12 06:23 PM

2014 would work - thats when the pole barn goes up

Re: New Chapter - 12/30/12 06:40 PM

Would I get visitation rights?

Re: New Chapter - 12/30/12 08:13 PM

Anytime you want. Old boat is still going strong & looking well.

Re: New Chapter - 01/02/13 04:27 PM

View looking at the back of the house.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/20200912@N05/8135850339/]

Re: New Chapter - 01/02/13 04:28 PM

Looking at front of the house. One of the best surprises was the Lennox heat pump. Was manufactored in 2004. Don't know when it was installed but this was a gift we didn't expect to find. Ad for house didn't even list ac.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/20200912@N05/8135829963/]

Re: New Chapter - 01/02/13 04:29 PM

Beautiful kitchen. Cabinets could actually be cleaned up & reused but since we are tearing out all of the flooring & going hardwood figured we would put in new cabinets. Doesn't hurt that good friend owns a custom cabinet shop.

P1030893 by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/20200912@N05/]

Re: New Chapter - 01/02/13 04:33 PM

View of kitchen from dining room sign. Nice job on the install of the fan. We are not going to reinstall cabinets over the island to open it up some more.

P1030890 by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/20200912@N05/]

Re: New Chapter - 01/02/13 04:36 PM

Think the only thing keeping the shed up is all the junk inside.

P1030914 by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/20200912@N05/]

Re: New Chapter - 01/02/13 04:37 PM

There is actually a nice little pond just beyond the trees.

P1030907 by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/20200912@N05/]

Re: New Chapter - 01/02/13 04:39 PM

22' x 24' bedroom upstairs - worst of the inside. Can see water damage from leak from the non functioning solar panels. Not to bad. Going to make this into 2 bedrooms each 12' x 22'

P1030899 by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/20200912@N05/]

Re: New Chapter - 01/02/13 04:50 PM

Looking down the hallway. Side door must have been leaking for awhile. There is subfloor damage just inside of door. We be tearing out all flooring shortly to evaluate extent of damages.

P1030892

Re: New Chapter - 01/02/13 04:52 PM

Not sure if this is the dining room side or living room space.

Re: New Chapter - 01/02/13 04:57 PM

Another of the upstairs bedrooms. Carpets are great.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/20200912@N05/8135837975/]

Re: New Chapter - 01/02/13 04:58 PM

Last upstairs bedroom. Another great carpet choice

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/20200912@N05/8135863752/]

Re: New Chapter - 01/03/13 12:36 AM

Wow Kevin, some interesting "decorating" there.

That paddle fan install slays me!

Re: New Chapter - 01/03/13 12:44 AM

It is hard to believe what some people consider acceptable.

Re: New Chapter - 01/03/13 01:18 AM

It is hard to believe what some people consider acceptable.

In today's society, nothing surprises me at all what people deem acceptable. idn

Re: New Chapter - 01/03/13 01:35 PM

Kevin - What is the history of this house?

Re: New Chapter - 01/03/13 02:48 PM

Unfortunately being a short sale we don't have a lot of info. House was built in 1979. Prior to us the house has always been a year round residence - which makes not having any type of garage seem odd. House was vacant less than a year. Previous owner paid more than twice what we paid. That is about all we know.

Re: New Chapter - 01/07/13 12:42 PM

Last weekend we went down & started the clean up process. There was much more junk left behind than it seemed. Filled up 6 large contractor bags. Pulled up 1800' square feet of the dirtiest ugly carpet. Smell in the house is about 100% better.

Re: New Chapter - 01/07/13 12:43 PM

Meet our first neighbor. Told us we are the 4th owner of the house. #1 built home & only stayed a few year. #2 was there the longest amount of time. #3 was they a few years.

Re: New Chapter - 01/07/13 02:16 PM

Pulled up 1800' square feet of the dirtiest ugly carpet.

Been there, not fun. Amazing how much dirt falls through carpet.

What will you put down Kevin? Something hard I assume?

Re: New Chapter - 01/07/13 03:05 PM

Leaning toward an engineered pre-finished product. Will have to see what we can get a deal on.
Posted By: casualboater

Re: New Chapter - 01/07/13 10:39 PM

Sounds like the right call to me. Hard surface makes a lot of sense in a seasonal place, you can put down rugs where you want them.

I've done a couple laminate floors, our kids rooms, goes down fast and looks good. I will say there is a difference in the quality of the product. The frost one we did was plastic molded to look like wood, and while its not bad, the bamboo floor we did in the other room is definitely better quality in both installation ease, appearance and feel.

Re: New Chapter - 01/08/13 02:40 PM

After a little research it looks like we will be removing 1800' feet of 3/8" particle board that they used for sub floor. Every where we have looked said it is a no no to put any type of wood floor over it.

Re: New Chapter - 01/08/13 04:07 PM

Last upstairs bedroom. Another great carpet choice.

Ummmmmm, Kevin, was the prior owner of the house blind? laugh laugh Those are some great carpets...to tear out.

You have your work cut out for you, but then you already knew that. The end result will be very nice and will suit you and your Admiral.

Keep the pics coming as you go through this process, will you?
Posted By: Capn Morgan

Re: New Chapter - 01/08/13 04:31 PM

Well it is official. As of 4 pm cst today my brother & I are owners of a house in Sullivan Illinois by Lake Shelbyville.

Originally Posted By: GoFirstClass

The end result will be very nice and will suit you and your Admiral.

.......and your brother and his admiral, their kids, your kids, all their friends, your friends, your brothers' friends, your parents and your pets too.

Should be a nice summer retreat.
Posted By: RX 4 Fun

Re: New Chapter - 01/15/13 05:53 PM

Nice. We go to Shelbyville almost every weekend. We keep our camper at Sullivan campground and marina. Our boat will likely be slipped this year at the marina. So maybe we'll see you on the lake when your done with your renovations...

I've often thought about buying some property down there as the prices are reasonable, but we have to much fun hanging out with our camping/boating friends and I like being able to walk or drive the golf cart down to the lake.

Re: New Chapter - 01/16/13 02:26 AM

Small world. We stayed in the cabins at Sullivan Campground a few times last year. Used to have a camper in Findlay at Arrowhead campground across from Lone Point for about 10 years.

There are some great deals out there & we couldn't pass.

Re: New Chapter - 02/27/13 04:48 PM

So far we have been doing lots of demo. Getting ready for warmer weather so we get going on the exterior projects.

We did sign papers on the boat barn. 30' x 48' should hold anything we want to put in. Should be up by early April. Can't wait. More excited for the pole barn than the house. Pole barn was a better deal than I was prepared for.

Re: New Chapter - 02/27/13 10:19 PM

Nice size on the pole barn. I'd be excited about that too! Lots of pictures please.

Re: New Chapter - 02/27/13 10:59 PM

10' tall walls & doors will be nice too. No more having to put down the bimini top.

Re: New Chapter - 05/09/13 02:28 PM

Pole barn should be done either yesterday or today. Heading down this weekend & will get some pictures to post up.

Bought 2000 sq feet of Shaw 3/4" oak pre-finished hardwood flooring. No bad carpet for me ever again.

Getting the final measurements to order the metal roofing this weekend. Hopefully getting that going in the next couple of weeks. That will be the biggest change.

Re: New Chapter - 05/10/13 12:53 AM

How much of the work will be DIY?

Re: New Chapter - 05/10/13 01:35 AM

Other than the pole barn 100%.
Posted By: bud8808

Re: New Chapter - 05/12/13 05:15 PM

Make sure you buy the right blade for your table saw or miter for cutting that wood. Did a laminate floor in my house and that stuff will burn up regular saw blades. Im sure you knew that but thought it was worth mentioning. Congrats on the place and the pole barn much fun shall be had for years to come.

Re: New Chapter - 05/13/13 12:04 PM

Spent sometime on the roof over the weekend removing solar panels. Have a contractor coming today to give us an estimate to do the work. Seems like a better plan.

Pole barn just needs the roof put on. Looks great. Will post up some pictures as soon as i get the chance.

Re: New Chapter - 05/13/13 12:19 PM

....Have a contractor coming today to give us an estimate to do the work. Seems like a better plan.

Good decision. Admiral have anything to do with that? When I used to get up on my roof, mine would stand in the yard and glare at me.

Re: New Chapter - 05/13/13 01:50 PM

Came up with the plan on my own, but admiral is 100% in favor. After being up on the roof for just a short time we realized how much fun it wasn't going to be. There is no shortage of other projects for us to concentrate on that would be a much better use of our skills.

Re: New Chapter - 05/13/13 02:24 PM

....um, yeah .... and perhaps less dangerous?

Re: New Chapter - 05/14/13 03:12 PM

Should be finished today

Re: New Chapter - 05/14/13 03:38 PM

Re: New Chapter - 05/14/13 03:40 PM

P1010647

You can see the solar panels we took off in this picture. We cut them loose & pushed them off. Not 1 broke.

Re: New Chapter - 05/14/13 03:42 PM

We can probably get another year or 2 out of this

Going to ask the roofer if we get a discount for the tear off being more of a sweep off?

The better looking spots are under where the solar panels were sitting.

This picture is of the southern exposure. Northern exposure side looked much better.

Re: New Chapter - 05/15/13 07:55 PM

Concrete guy said he should be ready in 2 weeks.

Re: New Chapter - 05/15/13 08:24 PM

Is your concrete guy named Jimmy Hoffa by chance? laugh laugh

Re: New Chapter - 05/15/13 10:53 PM

Hope not
Posted By: PhatboyC

Re: New Chapter - 05/16/13 01:22 PM

Barn looks better than the house. ha ha ha

Your not keeping the solar panels?

Re: New Chapter - 05/16/13 01:27 PM

Talking with previous owners they never worked. They were put on when house was new. House will be receiving dramatic improvements shortly. Then is should look better than the barn. Otherwise we could convert the barn into living space>
Posted By: Dave R

Re: New Chapter - 05/17/13 09:02 AM

What type of metal roof are you doing? I did standing seem Fabral on my last project. Really like it and planning to do the whole house next. The roof was cheap, the trim parts are where they really get you... I ordered the roof panels in the exact length I needed and designed the roof so that there would be no need to rip any panels. I did very little cutting. I like that there's no need for plywood, just purlins on the rafters.

Re: New Chapter - 05/17/13 10:59 AM

We are going with the standing seem.

Re: New Chapter - 05/17/13 05:11 PM

Plan C on the roofing. Just got the quotes & the metal roof was almost 3 times the cost of the architectural Owens Corning 130 mph 30 year shingles. So shingles it is. Should be done by the end of the month.

Re: New Chapter - 05/19/13 11:05 PM

Pole barn is up just waiting on concrete

Re: New Chapter - 05/19/13 11:06 PM

Ugly kitchen is no more

Re: New Chapter - 05/19/13 11:07 PM

Different view

Re: New Chapter - 05/19/13 11:09 PM

Another view of pole barn.

Re: New Chapter - 05/19/13 11:23 PM

Next week little more demo in kitchen & 1st floor demo is complete. 2nd floor only remaining demo is dropping ceiling in 1 bedroom. Then some cleaning & we move on to construction.

Re: New Chapter - 05/19/13 11:25 PM

Demo is the fun part

Re: New Chapter - 05/19/13 11:27 PM

It was kind of a blast taking the sledge to the old cabinets & soffits.

Re: New Chapter - 05/19/13 11:32 PM

Making good progress!

Do you have a date set for completion of the construction?

Re: New Chapter - 05/20/13 12:03 AM

No - were are just trying to get as much done as possible. After demo is done there is 1900' sq feet of subfloor to put down. At that point we figure it will be some what usable. Enough where we can go down do some work & then hit the lake.

There is lots to do & we hope to have most of it done this year.
Posted By: Jack T

Re: New Chapter - 05/20/13 12:21 AM

Looking good. I see you have your best friend as supervisor.

Actually, I feel for you. Later last year, we remodeled the master bath in our home,and it took a long time. I did a lot of the work, and I am very slow because some of the stuff I had never done before. My duties were pre-contractor duties, so I essentially held up progress. Then, there were the problems we had with the plumbing fixtures--quality control. We wanted to be done by Thanksgiving. The bathroom was usable by then, but we really didn't get all the issues solved until this week.

BTW, we started on the second bathroom this past Monday. I decided to just shuck out the money for the contractor, and keep my role to a minimum. Well, they won't let me hold them up any longer, so the stress and headaches are still there.

Never again will I have anything to do with a bathroom remodel. They are the smallest rooms in the house, but after the kitchen--maybe more, they are the most difficult to do.

Anyway, you are doing a great job on a very comprehensive remodel. Things are looking good.

Re: New Chapter - 05/21/13 01:09 PM

Roofing contractor called last night & to let us know that he will get the roof done & sides demoed next week. Can't wait. Things should really start to move.

Re: New Chapter - 05/21/13 01:16 PM

Can't wait to post the pictures of before & after. Even just having house wrap is going to be a 1000% improvement. Going to look so much different without the sloped walls with shingles. Can only imagine how good it will look with the added windows & new siding. Getting an architect friend to come down & draw up some options for the exterior & floor plans.

Re: New Chapter - 06/27/13 02:10 AM

Progress has been a little slow. Concrete is done in the pole barn & they did a great job. Roofer finally started yesterday - only a month behind. As of Monday we have water. Didn't know what we would find - had 4 issues but we were able to repair.

Re: New Chapter - 06/27/13 12:57 PM

Going deluxe with the cement floor. Nice. Not just for storing boats I suppose?

Re: New Chapter - 06/27/13 01:07 PM

He wants it to look nice for midwest BABC members' guest boats...

Re: New Chapter - 06/27/13 01:18 PM

Its basic purpose is toy storage - boats, waverunners, snowmobiles & etc. We are trying to do everything right the first time on this project.

Re: New Chapter - 07/10/13 11:59 PM

Looks a little different without the shingles on the sides.

Re: New Chapter - 07/11/13 12:08 AM

Can't wait to get the siding up.

Re: New Chapter - 07/11/13 12:14 AM

Putting 3 new windows in on this side on the second floor.

Re: New Chapter - 07/11/13 12:34 AM

Looking good!

Re: New Chapter - 07/11/13 03:30 AM

I like the barn. Something very rare in our parts. Everything is so commercial.

Re: New Chapter - 07/11/13 11:32 AM

We still have a long way to go but at least you can see some results now. Started priming walls & ceilings last trip. Next trip should get some finish coats up. Then we can put in the new subfloor & then hardwood. Maybe someday we can even get the boats in the water.

Re: New Chapter - 07/11/13 03:59 PM

Yeah no more shingles on the side! 100% improvement.

Re: New Chapter - 08/09/13 01:59 PM

Hopefully this is gone when we get there tomorrow

Re: New Chapter - 08/09/13 02:00 PM

Been doing some interior work - before

Re: New Chapter - 08/09/13 02:01 PM

After - Little better - now they just need subfloor, hardwood & trim

Re: New Chapter - 08/09/13 02:05 PM

Long way from this - not the same room but you get the idea.

Re: New Chapter - 08/09/13 02:07 PM

Notice the missing texture ceilings - looks much better in person

Not much work getting done this weekend. Admiral & 1st mate are going to see it person for the 1st time. Then we are going to hit the lake. Might paint some trim but thats about all.
Posted By: Wet Doggg

Re: New Chapter - 08/09/13 02:52 PM

Looks great.
Posted By: wasjr

Re: New Chapter - 08/09/13 02:58 PM

Hopefully this is gone when we get there tomorrow

It would more likely be taken if you had put a for sale sign with a price of $500 on it.
Posted By: Admin

Re: New Chapter - 08/09/13 03:12 PM

Some might see an old hot tub.

I see the makings of a second boat.

Red Neck

Re: New Chapter - 08/09/13 03:17 PM

Hot tub is in better shape than it looks like. Good cleaning would go a long way. Think it needs a new pump & should be good to go.

Deck was built around the hot tub - getting it out was a pain. Next weekend we are going to fill in the hole in the deck.

After we got it out of the deck we rolled it like a wagon wheel out to the street - that was a lot of fun.

Re: New Chapter - 08/12/13 12:44 PM

Great news - hot tub was gone when we got there this weekend.

Re: New Chapter - 08/12/13 07:29 PM

Took the weekend off from working this weekend & took out the boat for the 1st time this year. Beautiful weekend & great time was had by all. Got to find the camera to post up some pics

Re: New Chapter - 08/12/13 11:24 PM

Here is the boat getting hooked up & ready to go for its first ride of the year. Boat still looks & runs great. She was happy to be back on the water. Love having the barn to put her back in at the end of the day. House is 2 miles from the launch.

Re: New Chapter - 08/12/13 11:26 PM

Boats fits nicely in its new home - You can even leave it hooked up to the truck & it still fits. Katie enjoys playing in the barn & is the 1st one ready to go on the boat.

Re: New Chapter - 08/12/13 11:29 PM

Katie seldom misses a photo opportunity. Even with shoes on the wrong feet.

Re: New Chapter - 08/19/13 12:27 PM

That picture looks familiar. Sure fits nicely in the pole barn.

Attached is the ad on my boat. It is in great shape & has been taken great care of.
http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/boa/4005779177.html

So, are you buying your second boat from Phil R wink

Re: New Chapter - 08/19/13 01:07 PM

Will have to stand by for updates. Have 4 people coming to look at the old boat on Saturday. Kind of bitter/sweet. Been a great boat & it is still in fantastic shape but we knew this day would come.

Re: New Chapter - 08/19/13 01:21 PM

Standing by.... was wondering if this new cottage has taken up all your time for boating , and if you were just selling for lack of use. Your boat should sell in short order , no problem.
Good luck in whatever you decide.

Re: New Chapter - 08/19/13 01:28 PM

House has taken up a lot of our potential boating this summer. But really the weather has been all that great. Me & Philr chatted but i don't think he is ready yet. Maybe next time. Picking up new boat today. Will snap some pics & post up.

Re: New Chapter - 08/19/13 02:01 PM

Here is the updated ad with more pics

http://decatur.craigslist.org/boa/4005770025.html

Re: New Chapter - 08/19/13 02:14 PM

Another ad with some other pics

http://chambana.craigslist.org/boa/4005751556.html

Re: New Chapter - 08/19/13 02:38 PM

Heck with that old junk - I wanna hear about the NEW boat.

Really? You bought a NEW boat, as in NEW new? Kevin, that's not like you man.

Re: New Chapter - 08/19/13 02:42 PM

New to me

Re: New Chapter - 08/19/13 02:45 PM

New to me

C'mon man, spill it, I know there's pics on your phone. Work can wait .....

ps: no pics of the engine in your CL ad?

Re: New Chapter - 08/19/13 02:55 PM

Sorry no engine pics - she still looks great - we have been very kind to her & kept it in great shape. Notice the interior piece that was completely redone? One that had the tear in it.

Will give this much. New boat is 2004. Has 146 hours on 350 mpi/bravo 3. Red in color.

Work is nuts - trying to take 1/2 day but doesn't look like that will happen.
Posted By: WaterMutt

Re: New Chapter - 08/19/13 03:52 PM

It's red, that's all that matters!

Re: New Chapter - 08/19/13 04:11 PM

Re: New Chapter - 08/19/13 05:04 PM

I like thumb

Re: New Chapter - 08/27/13 02:08 PM

New boat is resting comfortably in its new home in pole barn. We went with a 10' wall - if we were to do over we would have gone 12'. Bimini clears by a few inches.

Re: New Chapter - 08/27/13 02:18 PM

Kevin, I've been watching your progress on your projects and it looks like things are starting to take shape. I like the new boat. There's a Rinker dealer in Spokane who brings their boats down here periodically for an "in the water" boat show. Nice work they do.

Keep the pics coming of the boat and the home.

Re: New Chapter - 08/27/13 02:53 PM

House is starting to take shape. In the next few months the interior will really come together. Unfortunately we didn't do much to the house this weekend but worked on laying out some things.

We measured up the ceiling in the kitchen family room & marked up the layout for the recessed lighting & fans we are putting in. Then we can replace the couple of sheets of drywall we took down. Get everything primed & painted. Then install all the lighting.

After than its time to start laying out sub-flooring. Once the hardwood flooring goes in there will be a huge transformation.

Will keep the pics coming.

Re: New Chapter - 08/27/13 03:03 PM

Old boat sold in 1 week. It left on Saturday & new boat went right in its new home. Purchase & sale worked much better than I could have hoped for. Told the wife we might have to wait until spring to sell old boat. We were both thrilled it worked out so well.

Re: New Chapter - 08/27/13 07:26 PM

Got all the appliances delivered yesterday - now we only need a kitchen to put them in. Home Depot had a great deal over the 4th of July on Samsung stainless package that we couldn't pass up. Should be ready for them in 2-3 months. Now they look pretty sitting in the pole barn next to the new boat. Really got to remember to bring the camera.

Re: New Chapter - 08/28/13 04:07 AM

Home Depot had a great deal over the 4th of July on Samsung stainless package that we couldn't pass up.

Geesh maybe you could show them to Sea Ray so they'd have an idea of something to use with their Home Depot cabinets they are installing now. mad

Re: New Chapter - 01/01/14 05:12 PM

Any updates on the lake house?

Re: New Chapter - 01/02/14 07:25 PM

Wow can't believe I have not posted anything in so long. We have made some good progress. Sub flooring is in. We added new windows on the south side of the house. Have to look for some pictures.

Re: New Chapter - 02/24/14 11:21 PM

After a long break we were back at it this weekend. Have more pics that need to get uploaded. We will be hitting it hard before summer to get the interior done. Doesn't look like much but it has come a long way.

Re: New Chapter - 02/25/14 02:36 AM

Here is a exterior shot that shows all the window we added on the southern exposure. Makes a big change.

Re: New Chapter - 02/25/14 02:39 AM

Progress doesn't seem like we have got much done but this is what it looked like less than a year ago.

Re: New Chapter - 02/25/14 02:46 AM

Doesn't seem like we have done much but its getting there. At this time last year there was no barn. We have done a majority of the ground work & lots of things should come together quickly. As in before boating season which we are planning on big this year. Will try to do a good job of posting pics & keeping updated.

Looks like a different house already. We are going to be concentrating on getting the interior done first & then switching over to the exterior. By end of summer should be in really great shape.

Re: New Chapter - 02/25/14 02:56 AM

Here is a picture while we were adding the last window on the south side of house.

Re: New Chapter - 02/25/14 05:10 AM

Another in progress picture while window installation was still on going.

Re: New Chapter - 02/25/14 02:30 PM

Doesn't seem like we have done much but its getting there.

Amazing progress given that you are doing this on weekends and live a few hundred miles away! It is really taking shape nicely.

What are you going to do for siding?

You don't have much for over hang on the sides and no gutters. This looks to have been part of the original design where the sides were sloped and part of the roof. Will you be extending the roof and/or adding gutters?

Re: New Chapter - 02/25/14 02:48 PM

For the siding we are going to do fiber cement. Looks great & has lasts forever. Should be working on during the summer/fall.

It would be nice to have more over hang but we had to many things going on to get into. Once the siding goes on gutters will be going up. Will help with getting water away from the house. We also need to do some grading around the house as there is a slight pitch back towards the house.
Posted By: On Holiday

Re: New Chapter - 02/25/14 03:25 PM

The housewrap is upside down.

Re: New Chapter - 02/25/14 03:57 PM

That was done by the roofer.

Re: New Chapter - 02/25/14 05:47 PM

Tradesman humor?
Posted By: KD4PBS

Re: New Chapter - 02/25/14 06:31 PM

OH beat me to it wink
Looks great! Glad you don't have my contractor working on it or it would barely have the upside down wrap done. We FINALLY got final inspection on the garage last week. Like you, now I'm busy doing interior stuff.

Re: New Chapter - 02/25/14 07:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Philr

Tradesman humor?

Not sure I'd give them that much credit - they did do a nice job on the roof.

Re: New Chapter - 02/25/14 08:53 PM

This seems to be pretty commonplace. I'm guessing, but the workers probably used their primary hand (right or left) to unroll the Tyvec in the most natural direction. How this preference and the direction of wind on the roll worked together made the letters right-side-up or not. If they were using their other hand, the printing would be right-side-up. Maybe the manufacturer should consider winding it the other way?

Re: New Chapter - 02/26/14 03:07 AM

Looks like you will be appliance shopping before long. Have you been to Abt's showroom in Glenview? Worth a trip as it is a really neat store. They have pretty good prices as well.

Re: New Chapter - 02/26/14 03:35 AM

Keeps looking better and better thumb
Thanks for the progress updates.

Re: New Chapter - 02/26/14 05:35 AM

We bought all new Samsung stainless appliances that are waiting in the barne. Just waiting for a kitchen to put them in. Thinking of going with Ikea cabinets. Hopefully in by Memorial day.

Re: New Chapter - 02/26/14 10:01 PM

For the record our appliances came from Home Depot but our cabinets will not. Don't want it to look like a Sea Ray.

Re: New Chapter - 02/27/14 03:41 AM

lol

Re: New Chapter - 02/27/14 06:20 PM

Thought you might appreciate that one GoFirstClass.

Re: New Chapter - 02/28/14 06:41 PM

Here is a picture of what we are eventually going to do.

Re: New Chapter - 02/28/14 06:47 PM

This gives you an idea where we are heading with paint, trim & siding on the exterior

Re: New Chapter - 02/28/14 06:50 PM

What the east end of the house will look like - before any additions

Re: New Chapter - 02/28/14 06:58 PM

Another picture from this weekend. Gives you a different view & shows the pond to the right.

Re: New Chapter - 02/28/14 07:33 PM

Your place is coming along nicely.

Re: New Chapter - 03/18/14 06:26 PM

Back to work again this weekend. Will make sure to take lots of pics to keep everyone updated.

Re: New Chapter - 03/20/14 05:17 PM

Well unfortunately this weekend is off. My Dad has to have some surgery tomorrow so we will push on plans back a week. Oh well.

Re: New Chapter - 03/21/14 01:56 AM

CK,
Best wishes to your Dad and his surgery.

Re: New Chapter - 05/20/14 02:20 AM

Time flies when you are having fun. Bought this last year. Been in the parents garage since. Had to move the 80 boxes down to the lake. Lots of fun. Used snowmobile trailer put 12 boxes on & 14 boxes per trip in the truck. Got it there in 3 loads.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/nETsGG]

Re: New Chapter - 05/20/14 02:39 AM

Made a quick trip to Bonita Springs Florida over Easter. Went fishing out of Naples on a charter. Not much of a fisherman. It was awesome. Charter was thru Pure Naples & I highly recommend them. We were on a 45' boat & the guys that ran it were awesome.

Went 23 miles into the gulf & were only in 54 feet of water. Private charter me, Dad, brother Mike & son Tyler. My Dad has been on this boat 6 times & keep pushing us to go. Decided it might be fun. I was wrong - it was awesome. We were catching fish like no tomorrow. Guy running the boat could not believe how good we did. Probably caught 16 groupers over 24". Dad caught a 29.5". I caught a 27". The 2 guys running the boat could not keep up with us.

http://www.purenaples.com/fishing/deep-sea-fishing/

We were on the MV Kudo

From left to right my brother Mike, Dad, son Tyler & me in the back row. Thats the 29.5" grouper that my Dad caught

Re: New Chapter - 05/20/14 02:45 AM

Back to reality & work. Old patio door had to go. For cost reasons we went from the 8' door to 6' door. Didn't make a big change & since we are putting on all new siding it will look like it was always there. Would you believe that big door was held in with 6 screws. Think we used 40 on the new door.

Patio door on 2nd floor will be leaving shortly. Currently it is a 20 x 22 room. We are going to make into 2 rooms each 11 x 20. Will replace patio door with a couple of window when we move on to exterior.

Re: New Chapter - 05/20/14 02:50 AM

Nice to have a new door that works easily. Soon as we get the interior done we move on to siding. Will look like it was always there.

Re: New Chapter - 05/20/14 02:58 AM

Back to concentrating on the interior. Like normal things have taken longer than expected. Trying to get things together inside before working on the outside.

1st bedroom has floor. Lots of fun

Re: New Chapter - 05/20/14 03:01 AM

Never did hardwood before. Lots of work. Don't have any thoughts of a career change. End result is awesome.
2nd bedroom has floor. After spending the day laying floor putting together an Ikea bed is not a great time but much better than sleeping on the floor for a year.

Re: New Chapter - 05/20/14 03:06 AM

After 2 days on our knees putting down the flooring we needed to do something else. So we painted the downstairs. Really starting to look like we are getting something done. Hard wood flooring will be next. Then kitchen.

Re: New Chapter - 05/20/14 03:08 AM

The lodge is coming along nicely. A lot of work and it looks great. When is the party as GFC said he will supply and cook the steaks (without heaving any into the pond) and also bringing the case of Casa Noble Tequila that Justi gave him.
Sounds like a good time to me.

Re: New Chapter - 05/20/14 03:09 AM

Tyler with one on the hook

Re: New Chapter - 05/20/14 03:14 AM

There was a Marine Max next to the fishing charter. This looked familiar.

Re: New Chapter - 05/20/14 03:32 AM

Looking better

Re: New Chapter - 05/20/14 04:06 PM

Here is the boat from the fishing charter at the dock. Boat was 45' & a great size for going 23' miles out. Saw lots of way smaller boats out there. We hit a couple of good waves that i can't imagine how they would be in a smaller boat. We will be back next year. Can't say enough about what a great job the guys running the boat did. It was immaculate too - could not have been cleaner.

Re: New Chapter - 05/20/14 04:11 PM

Interior from a different angle. Looking more like a house. Only needs flooring.

Re: New Chapter - 05/20/14 06:18 PM

There was a Marine Max next to the fishing charter. This looked familiar.

Yes, it does look familiar. I'm putting a coat of wax on our Whaler today then I'll take some pics of the boat on the new trailer.

Re: New Chapter - 06/02/14 05:02 PM

Doesn't seem to be a lot of clearance on the wheels on that trailer either.

Re: New Chapter - 06/03/14 06:06 AM

I went back and looked at it. There's more clearance than what it looks like. It's just that the fender sidewalls wrap around the tire and gives the illusion of being very tight.

Re: New Chapter - 06/23/14 09:17 PM

Started like this - picture looks a lot better than it did in person

To this

Re: New Chapter - 06/23/14 09:19 PM

To this. With a little work

Re: New Chapter - 06/23/14 09:20 PM

Started like this

Starting to feel more like a house.

Re: New Chapter - 06/23/14 09:23 PM

Interior is getting closer. You can see in the earlier picture that the window wasn't there. Makes a big improvement.

Re: New Chapter - 06/23/14 09:27 PM

Hard to believe it started like this.

Re: New Chapter - 06/23/14 09:59 PM

Still have a long way to go but at least it is starting to turn the corner - at least inside. Picked out Corian counter tops. Kitchen should go together fast.

Then we move to outside to get some siding up. Can't wait to get that going.
Posted By: Brian S

Re: New Chapter - 06/23/14 10:51 PM

Nice work. I do like the changes which open up the floor plan.

Re: New Chapter - 06/24/14 02:16 AM

Looking good.
I assume recessed lights where the tails are hanging? Lightolier makes a nice 5" remodeler for old work like you have there. 1004ICR for the housing and 1076 WH for a white stepped trim.

I hope your going to keep the brown extension cord to the ceiling fan. wink

Re: New Chapter - 06/24/14 03:46 AM

Lots of recessed lights & 2 ceiling fans. Sadly the brown extension cord will not be making a return.

Re: New Chapter - 06/24/14 09:42 PM

It's really taking shape. You've done a good job with it and have come a long ways!
Posted By: J&J

Re: New Chapter - 06/25/14 05:30 PM

Looks great! Keep up the great work, it will all be worth it in the end!

Re: New Chapter - 07/14/14 05:25 PM

Ikea cabinets are in. Got rid of the soffits & went with 39" upper cabinets. Came out very nice. Doing some Corian countops. Very impressed with the Samsung appliances as well.

Re: New Chapter - 07/16/14 07:15 PM

Here another shot of living room. Kind of messy from working all weekend but you can see some improvements like ceiling fans up.

Re: New Chapter - 07/16/14 08:22 PM

Looking good Kevin...

Re: New Chapter - 07/16/14 08:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Philr
Looking good Kevin...

+1 thumb

Re: New Chapter - 07/16/14 09:03 PM

We are actually heading down in the morning to finally do some boating. 1st time this year. Can't wait. Time to start enjoying the fruits of our labor. Will have to do some clean up & get some better shots.

We are going to finish the kitchen & move on to siding. After a little break.

Re: New Chapter - 07/16/14 11:11 PM

Been out once. River has flooded twice. 51* overnight. frown

Re: New Chapter - 07/17/14 01:58 AM

Weather for us hasn't been all that great either. So at least we have not felt bad.

Re: New Chapter - 08/26/14 07:05 PM

Have not made much progress last 2 months. Finished a few interior details but not much more. Have been able to use & enjoy some time on the lake. Starting to complete exterior in 2 weeks.

Re: New Chapter - 08/26/14 10:46 PM

Kevin:
I wish I had something like that to show after doing it myself. I'm way past the age that I think I can do anything on my own, so I pay someone else-except for the simple things and those that do not require climbing a tall ladder (:-).

Re: New Chapter - 10/06/14 01:48 PM

Started the siding this weekend. Next weekend weather permitting we move to the 2nd floor which is getting lap siding. Using LP Smartsiding.

Re: New Chapter - 10/06/14 01:51 PM

Hard to believe it started like this

Re: New Chapter - 10/06/14 02:20 PM

Posted By: Justification

Re: New Chapter - 10/06/14 03:52 PM

Looks a lot better.
Those windows in the upper rooms are a great improvement I'm sure.
Because the garage/barn/shed was in the center of the before picture it took me a minute to figure out which building you changed blush

Re: New Chapter - 10/06/14 05:08 PM

Kevin, that's an amazing turn around from an old, outdated looking building to a much more modern look.

Nice job, my friend.

Re: New Chapter - 10/06/14 05:10 PM

Wait till next week. We have a few more tricks on the exterior.

It has been a long road but its getting there.

Next year it should be real good shape.

Re: New Chapter - 10/13/14 02:04 PM

Got some more work done this weekend. Found 1 of the windows on the lower east end of house had a bad seal. It was cheaper to replaces both windows then having the damaged panels replaced. Ends up there are only 3 of the original windows left & now we have good inventory of replacement pieces if needed. Patio door on 2nd floor is going away. There will be 2 windows added above the 1st floor windows before that end gets sided.

Re: New Chapter - 10/13/14 02:06 PM

After the windows are in it was time for some siding.

Re: New Chapter - 10/13/14 02:10 PM

Got the freeze boards & fascia up. Also got some of the trim up around the downstairs windows before the rain started. Next trip the lap siding starts on 2nd floor.

Re: New Chapter - 10/13/14 05:28 PM

It looks like good progress is being made. Nobody who knew what the former building looked like would recognize it now.

Re: New Chapter - 10/14/14 02:48 PM

Here is what the east looked like before we started. Removed 8' sliding door & replaced with 6' door to save some $$$.

Re: New Chapter - 11/03/14 05:06 PM

Started 2nd floor siding. Little slow going at first but once it was laid out starting going pretty quick. Will be a pro by the time we are done.

Re: New Chapter - 11/03/14 05:55 PM

What a difference it makes having the siding on the top floor.

Are you seeing the light at the end of the tunnel yet?

Re: New Chapter - 11/03/14 06:41 PM

Long way from this.

We have come a long way but there is still plenty to do. December 28th will mark 2 years of ownership. Guess like any project would have hoped to be further along by now but it getting better all the time.

Re: New Chapter - 11/03/14 07:05 PM

Color you see is just primer. Final color will be gray. Weather permitting we will be back next week working on other side.

Re: New Chapter - 11/03/14 07:19 PM

How come the siding is going in a different direction on each floor ?

Re: New Chapter - 11/03/14 07:33 PM

Friend who is an architect suggested the siding layout to add some style. It is actually 2 different kinds of LP smart siding. Lower portion is 4' x 8' sheets where the top is 8" lap siding.

Re: New Chapter - 11/04/14 03:47 AM

"......but it getting better all the time."

You can say that again, and again, and again, .....

Re: New Chapter - 03/16/15 02:27 PM

Well after a quick stop to pick up some 2x4's were are back at it with the 1st trip of the year. Hard to believe this is the start of year 3. Where does the time go? Would have hoped to be further along at this point. We have got a lot done & it is very useable now. By summer time it will be even better.

Re: New Chapter - 03/16/15 02:31 PM

Ground was a little soft for exterior work so we decided to tackle the framing on the remaining upstairs room. It was originally 24' x 22'. We are going to divide it into 2 rooms that will leave us 2 good size bedrooms. Making the total number of bedrooms 5.

Hard to believe we used 60 2'x4's.

Re: New Chapter - 03/16/15 03:58 PM

Why the double bottom plate?

Re: New Chapter - 03/16/15 04:13 PM

Had some short 2"x4" that we needed to find a home. Trying to use up everything we have. When these rooms are finished we should be done with any more lumber.

Re: New Chapter - 03/16/15 05:37 PM

captkevin:
I like your stick-to-itiveness. I would have stopped working long ago, and leave it up to a contractor to finish. Lazy? No, just have more to do than I can handle by myself, now.

I also don't have the vision that guys like you have. I can't visualize anything unless it is actually in front of me. Then, I make my decision based on how I feel. I am a visual guy, I guess.

Re: New Chapter - 03/16/15 05:45 PM

We are trying to do things as economically as possible. Only work we hired out was the pole barn & roof on the house. The rest has been all us. It would have been nice to just hire someone & have it done but cost some good $$$.

Re: New Chapter - 03/16/15 05:47 PM

Kevin, I'm glad to see you're sticking with it and making progress. Not only are you saving money doing it yourself, but there's a lot of satisfaction in doing the job and doing it well.

Kudos!

Re: New Chapter - 03/16/15 06:39 PM

We are in it to the end. From day 1 our plan was not to cut any corners & do it right time 1. Will have lots of sweat equity when its done. Its a long way from where it started.
Posted By: athiker

Re: New Chapter - 03/16/15 08:31 PM

As said above, you will enjoy it that much more knowing you did it yourself. thumb

Re: New Chapter - 03/17/15 01:37 AM

Wish ya lived nearby, would love to help.

Re: New Chapter - 03/17/15 01:59 AM

Looking good.

Re: New Chapter - 03/18/15 02:32 AM

I hear you on the 2x4s. I figured on needings 90ish to frame my basement. Ordered 130, figuring on extra. Nope, darned if I won't end up using pretty much all of them.

Re: New Chapter - 03/18/15 03:35 AM

Not sure where they all go. We probably need 30 more to finish all the framing before we move on to drywall next weekend.

Re: New Chapter - 05/18/15 02:47 PM

Progress has been slow but managed to wrap up a few projects.

We must have looked at a million samples before picking the material for the counter tops. They came out great. Look much better in person than in the pictures. Only problem is my wife likes them more than what we have at home.

Re: New Chapter - 05/18/15 02:53 PM

Had some time to do some framing & put in a couple new windows.

Hopefully next trip we can get the siding done.

Re: New Chapter - 05/18/15 02:55 PM

Big change from this.

Re: New Chapter - 05/18/15 02:58 PM

Still need to mount handles but it is getting closer.

Re: New Chapter - 05/21/15 03:23 AM

Kitchen came a long way from this

Re: New Chapter - 05/21/15 03:49 AM

Great looking cabinets!

Re: New Chapter - 05/21/15 03:57 AM

Ikea

Re: New Chapter - 08/27/15 05:01 PM

Progress this summer has been slow. Have had some really nice weekends on the lake & still managed to get some thing done.
Kitchen is finally 99%. Need to put on the baseboards on the cabinets, put in 1 more outlet & hook up electric for dishwasher.

Before

After

Re: New Chapter - 08/27/15 05:04 PM

1st picture of kitchen sink actually functioning. Plumbing drain pipes in crawl space were a mess & required a little more redoing then planned - like everything else on this project. At least we are getting some big items off the list. Next couple work trips will be focused on wrapping up some outside projects while weather is good. You can get a better view of the corian in this picture. Can't be more pleased with how these came out after agonizing over so many choices.

Re: New Chapter - 08/27/15 05:09 PM

We have had some really great weekends on the water this summer so can't complain about the slower progress. Having the boat in the barn is great. We are 2 miles to the launch & it works out amazing. Love not having to put covers on & off.

Re: New Chapter - 08/27/15 05:15 PM

thumb

Re: New Chapter - 08/27/15 05:31 PM

Can't beat time on the water over time working on the house anytime. Progress will continue more when boating weather ends.

Re: New Chapter - 08/27/15 06:41 PM

That counter top looks great. You're going to love the look that you've put into the kitchen more and more every day.

Re: New Chapter - 08/27/15 06:46 PM

Only problem is that i may have done too nice of a job - wife likes kitchen at the lake much more than home. Told her the best solution is to spend more time at the lake & less @ home.

Re: New Chapter - 08/27/15 08:17 PM

I like that philosophy. Wish I could say the same about our second home.

Re: New Chapter - 08/27/15 09:02 PM

I didn't say it was going to work

Re: New Chapter - 09/28/15 04:04 AM

Back to work this weekend. Progress has not been as good this year but we have been able to enjoy it more. Got some siding up.

After

Before

Re: New Chapter - 09/28/15 04:08 AM

Got second floor done on north side & part of east end. Also winterized boat.

Re: New Chapter - 09/30/15 04:37 PM

Wasn't that long ago it looked like this.

Re: New Chapter - 09/30/15 05:13 PM

Those don't even look like the same building. Nice job!

Re: New Chapter - 10/01/15 01:58 AM

Kind of like the old look better.

Just kidding!!! Looks great!

Re: New Chapter - 11/16/15 04:59 AM

Took advantage of some great November weather this weekend & finished up some exterior work this weekend. Just needs paint now but that will have to wait until spring. Also finished up some interior projects.

Re: New Chapter - 11/16/15 02:49 PM

Will you winterize it, or leave it available?

Re: New Chapter - 11/16/15 03:38 PM

We drain all the water lines but leave the heat on at 50 degrees. We put in hardwood floors through out & don't want to risk any issues with freezing. We try to take advantage of any decent weekends to get some more work done when possible. It has come a long way since the beginning. December will mark 3 years of ownership.

Before

After

Re: New Chapter - 11/20/15 05:32 PM

I guess a nice wide deck across the front is the in the future? If so will you screen it it?
Looks so much nicer now then before.

Re: New Chapter - 11/20/15 07:41 PM

There are some plans for decks in the future. They have not been finalized but we are thinking a screened in room on the back of the house.

Re: New Chapter - 11/27/15 04:51 AM

One hint on screening. Avoid fiberglass screening. In our neck of the woods there are grasshoppers that can cut through it like a can opener.
Posted By: Brian S

Re: New Chapter - 11/28/15 03:17 PM

Wow. The transformation looks awesome.

Re: New Chapter - 10/03/16 09:11 PM

Just realized i have not posted any updates in a long time. Over last winter we completely gutted the downstairs bath to the studs. Came out awesome but like everything else it took longer than expected. Will try to get some pictures of this weekend when we go down to wrap up the hardwood flooring in the last bedroom. Below picture shows the family room in its current state. It is getting closer.

Not to long ago it looked like this.

This is what it looked like the day we looked at it.

Re: New Chapter - 10/03/16 09:16 PM

From this

Last weekend we finished hardwood in bedroom #4. Biggest room at 10' x 20'. Originally the space on the east end of the upstairs was one big room approximately 20' x 20' that they used as a family room. We divided in half to make 2 good size bedrooms. Will be glad to close the door on my hardwood flooring career. Notice no more patio door & new windows added.

Re: New Chapter - 10/03/16 09:19 PM

Day 1

Currently looks like this. Have got a lot of the small things wrapped up. Even had a chance to hang up the tv.

Re: New Chapter - 10/04/16 04:03 AM

Man that looks really nice.
Good finding a diamond in the rough that used to be.

Re: New Chapter - 10/04/16 05:54 PM

Kevin what a great transformation. Now you're almost ready to flip it and start on another one!

Re: New Chapter - 10/04/16 10:22 PM

We can be confident that we know who the money guy is around here. I understand he uses high quality steaks as chum--but can't figure out why he never catches anything. Hasn't figured out what that stick with the string wound up on that round thing is for. :-)

Re: New Chapter - 10/05/16 10:44 PM

GFC - not sure I'm ready to sell - it would have be a really great offer. We got really lucky when we found it & replacement would take some effort. Also not looking to take on as big of a project again. I say that but if the numbers worked out it might change my mind. Look at the listings at least once a week just in case.

Have learned a lot of things along the way but I'm glad to be at this end of the renovation. It has been a long road.

Re: New Chapter - 10/10/16 09:00 PM

Here are some more pictures are promised. Let me start by saying my photography skills could be better. Taking pictures in a small room is not easy. Pictures don't do the bathroom justice. Might help if i used a real camera instead of my phone. Bathroom came out amazing. Nicest room in the house for now.

Before

During

After

Re: New Chapter - 10/10/16 09:01 PM

Last one of the tile work.

Re: New Chapter - 10/10/16 09:03 PM

Last bedroom has hardwood. Time for trim.

Re: New Chapter - 10/10/16 09:10 PM

Better shot of downstairs.

Re: New Chapter - 10/11/16 01:26 PM

The bathroom does look nice. Great job.
Posted By: J&J

Re: New Chapter - 10/19/16 04:54 PM

Great job! Looks great!

Re: New Chapter - 11/15/16 06:45 PM

Took advantage of the nice November weather & was able to get some much over do outside painting done. Feels really great to finally be able to wrap up some of the projects.

3 years ago this was what it looked like.

Re: New Chapter - 11/15/16 06:52 PM

Current view of east side.

Re: New Chapter - 11/16/16 02:52 PM

Added some pendant lights over the island in the kitchen.

Re: New Chapter - 11/16/16 02:54 PM

Re: New Chapter - 11/16/16 07:31 PM

Nice work. I especially find that people who have vision to see things before work gets started are a very special breed. There is no way that I would have tackled a project like this.

Re: New Chapter - 05/23/17 02:40 PM

Been working on wrapping up as many interior projects as possible before the weather gets nice. It is looking more like a real house. Hard wood floors are completed. 5 bedrooms completed. The east end of the upstairs was one big room 24' x 24' with a patio door in the center when we bought house. We turned it into 2 bedrooms 12' x 24' & removed patio door & added windows.

Whole house is completely trimmed out. We scored enough free 4" oak base to do all but 1 bedroom. Came out great. Amazing the difference it makes. Even put up curtains. Pictures don't look all that different but lots of little details & touch ups have been done.

[

Re: New Chapter - 05/23/17 02:53 PM

Interior work is almost complete. Only thing left do to is redo utility room & upstairs bathroom but those will wait until fall. We have plenty of outside projects to catch up on as the last 4 years have been spent on the house. Plenty of trees to clean up.
On a positive note we will not run out of fire wood for a long time if ever.

Re: New Chapter - 05/23/17 06:55 PM

YOWZERS, looking at that leaning tree I'd say that light pole is in serious jeopardy. roflmao

The pics are great. You must be very proud and happy with the results of your labors.

Where and how did you score the free oak?

Re: New Chapter - 05/23/17 08:48 PM

My other brother & his wife bought a new house that was fully trimmed out with stained 4" oak trim thru out. She didn't like the looked of stained oak & wanted painted white trim. Also didn't like that you could see the grain on the oak if you painted it. Worked out great for us. They also tore all the 4" casing off all the windows. We were able to trim the entire house for $50 dollars out of pocket & have very nice trim work.
Posted By: WayWeGo

Re: New Chapter - 05/24/17 03:54 AM

Really looking good!

Re: New Chapter - 08/14/17 04:12 PM

When we bought the house there was this old crappy shed & from day 1 we planned to get rid of. Unfortunately there was always other things to do & the next thing you know 4 years have gone by.

[Linked Image]

Re: New Chapter - 08/14/17 04:14 PM

Well this weekend we finally got around to it. Hooked it up to the truck with a tow strap & was able to move it to an area away from things.

[Linked Image]

Re: New Chapter - 08/14/17 04:14 PM

Didn't take much to get it going.

[Linked Image]

Re: New Chapter - 08/14/17 04:15 PM

Once she got going it didn't take long.

[Linked Image]

Re: New Chapter - 08/14/17 04:16 PM

And going. Was a little scary for a minute.

[Linked Image]

Re: New Chapter - 08/14/17 04:17 PM

Guess it was a little close to this dead tree then it should have been.

[Linked Image]

Re: New Chapter - 08/14/17 04:18 PM

Not much left the next morning. Dead tree was still smoldering. 1000x improvement.

[Linked Image]

Re: New Chapter - 10/09/17 01:30 PM

Got the area all cleaned up. Must have been a million nails of every size in shape left after the fire. Now all we have to do is get some grass planted.

Re: New Chapter - 12/22/17 08:13 PM

Hard to believe but next week will mark the 5th anniversary of the closing date on the lake house. Not sure where the time went. It has been alot of fun but I am glad some of the jobs are behind us. We don't have that many remaining projects & house is 100% usable.

Re: New Chapter - 12/23/17 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by captkevin
Hard to believe but next week will mark the 5th anniversary of the closing date on the lake house. Not sure where the time went. It has been alot of fun but I am glad some of the jobs are behind us. We don't have that many remaining projects & house is 100% usable.

The time has gone by fast for me as well - I would have guessed that it has been only 2 or 3 years.

Thanks for sharing your project with us, I have enjoyed following the progress.

Re: New Chapter - 12/23/17 03:31 PM

Took a few minutes & reread complete thread from the beginning. Hard to imagine how far we have come.

Re: New Chapter - 03/27/18 03:53 PM

Here is a funny one. Got a letter in the mail from the tax assessors office. They have reduced our accessed value on the property. Net result is a reduction in our annual tax bill by $100. Reason for reduction - removal of structure - the shed!!!! Almost fell over laughing. Should have burned it down 4 years ago. Apparently they use a computer program that compares satellite images to see if people try to sneak new buildings up & without permits to avoid taxes. In our case they picked up the removal of the structure.

Re: New Chapter - 04/16/18 02:00 PM

Well this weekend we finally got back to work on the lake house again. Bad weather & other commitments had delayed our any attempts to get down earlier this year. One of the big projects we want to get done before summer gets here is redo of the upstairs bathrooom. When we first got the house we need a quick fix replacing toilet, vanity, sink, faucet & threw in a peel & stick vinyl floor to make it usable while we concentrated efforts elsewhere. Its finally time to do it right. Had an 30" x 34" fiberglass shower stall. Ripped that out & going to expand the shower to 48" x 34" by stealing some space from the hall closet. Next trip going to put in new shower base, move plumbing, durarock & maybe tile. Next trip durarock floor of backroom & ceramic tile. Should be nice improvement

[Linked Image]

Re: New Chapter - 04/29/18 11:51 PM

Working on redoing the plumbing this weekend. Get new control all soldered up & turn on water to test for leaks. Water is shooting out the front of the control?? WTF - brand new control. Spend about an hour trying to figure it out. Finally go to Delta website to look at parts blow up. There are a ton of parts missing. Seems some low life was having a problem & bought it to switch out the parts & then returned. They repackaged the box so you could not tell. Had to make a trip to buy a new one & like magic no more leaks. Really stinks that someone did that & cost us several hours of work time. Oh well its all good now.

Re: New Chapter - 04/30/18 02:03 PM

Picture doesn't show much change but we are well on our way but new wall is framed & plumbing has been moved & is ready for the next phase. Would have had more if we didn't get sidetracked with the shower control. Back next week to hang the Hardie backer board & get the tile up.

[Linked Image]

Re: New Chapter - 04/30/18 04:42 PM

Projects like this one seem to take forever but then all of a sudden they're done and you get to enjoy the benefits.

Re: New Chapter - 05/07/18 12:41 PM

Progress is slow but looking good.

[Linked Image]

Re: New Chapter - 05/07/18 04:08 PM

When we got the house there were 5 solar panels on the roof. We took them down before putting the new roof & just stacked them behind the barn. With scrap prices being so high currently decided to take one apart & see what is inside. Picture is of the copper heat exchanger 38# of copper @ $2.60 per pound = $63 bucks x 5= $315. Have a pretty healthy pile of copper that used to connect them all. Would guess another $150 worth. So if you have any scrap laying around now is a good time to get rid of before scrap prices come down.

[Linked Image]

Re: New Chapter - 05/21/18 03:24 PM

Doesn't look like much progress but this weekend we finished the wall tile in the shower, put down new hardi board subfloor & tiled floor. Won't take much too finish up from here. Will get it finished up next trip just in time for boating season to get kicked off.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 2Suns

Re: New Chapter - 05/21/18 10:57 PM

Dang man, you started this thread in December 2012. I applaud your patience and drive to get it done. Not sure I could have stuck it out this long.

I’m thinking a BABC house warming bash is in order when it’s done. 😁😁

Re: New Chapter - 05/22/18 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by 2Suns

I’m thinking a BABC house warming bash is in order when it’s done. 😁😁

I'm in! thumb

Re: New Chapter - 05/22/18 03:24 PM

Progress has definitely been slow but we figured that from the start. We have also taken the time to do everything the right way the first time. Example being the floors. Upon removal of carpeting we discovered subfloor was particle board & we removed 1900' sq feet & replaced. For flooring we put in 3/4" prefinished solid oak - took time but results are beautiful. Could have cut corners & done it much faster but didn't want to have any regrets when its done. Lake house being 3 hours makes more frequent trips tough & typically we are limited to working on the weekends. When the weather is good we switch from work mode to boating mode & use house at its status. That leaves us the fall & spring to work. We always have intentions of making a few trips in the winter but holidays & snowmobile trips take priority. House now is probably 90% complete & fully usable.

Re: New Chapter - 06/29/20 02:29 PM

Wow hard to believe that i have not posted anything in so long. We are still at it & making some good progress wrapping some projects. As of yesterday the barn now has electric, beer fridge, lights, stereo, nice big fan & it is hard believe how we ever did without. My son has been coming down alot this summer helping out & it is amazing how much help 1 more person makes getting projects done. He has been instrumental on some much needed hvac work & it has made the house way more comfy. If things can stay on track it feels like we might really get things much closer to where we would like to have them. We have been doing some major yard clean up. Some of it was not optional as we lost a couple of big trees in the back of the property that had to be cut up & that kind of lead to more clean up. Amazing the difference it is making. My son seems to really enjoy this work & we would not have taken on nearly as much without his help. There is a pond on the property but it has been not viewable due to all the over growth but one of our goals for this year is to change that.

[Linked Image]

Re: New Chapter - 06/29/20 02:34 PM

Here is one of the trees that we lost. Would have to guess it was 25' tall. It made for one heck of a bonfire. Don't think we will ever run out of stuff to burn. Currently our fire pit is 12' in diameter & most time stuff is hanging way out of it. It has been getting a major work out this year.

[Linked Image]

Re: New Chapter - 06/29/20 06:10 PM

Kevin, congrats on making good headway (hey, is that a boating term???) on your project. You have come a long way since you started and the extra comfort is your reward for all the hard work.

Re: New Chapter - 06/30/20 07:29 PM

Heck one of these days we might even get the boat in the water.

Re: New Chapter - 07/13/20 03:48 PM

Have made 2 more trips down & boat still has not made it into the water. It was out of the barn yesterday for oil & gear lube change. Looking good for the next trip. We have wrapped up some more projects around the house. Electric in barn is 100%. Only thing left to do is add some kind of lighting for party mode - 16 florescent bulbs are a little bright for that.

Re: New Chapter - 08/21/20 06:51 PM

[Linked Image]

Looks alot bigger without the tree laying there. We have spent alot of time this summer clearing brush & just general trimming & clean up that was much over due. Going to resume clearing once the weather cools down. Right now we have been enjoying some much needed boat time. Has been a great summer & it has been nice enjoying the fruits of all are labor. Last Friday wife & got down around 10 pm. Unloaded truck, opened window in house & went sat outside the barn, turned on the stereo, had a few adult beverages & just watched the stars. We don't get that in the suburbs of Chicago.

Re: New Chapter - 08/21/20 06:59 PM

[Linked Image]

One of the advantages of clearing the brush was being able to make the above improvement. Needless to say daughter approves.

Re: New Chapter - 08/24/20 12:12 PM

[Linked Image]

Made some more progress this weekend, Hard to tell but the above path ends at our pond. Going to work on clearing the brush this fall. Will make a huge improvement.

Re: New Chapter - 08/25/20 02:25 AM

Lookin good.
How are you going about cleaning? chainsaws, strong backs and weak minds?
what are you doing with the stuff you pull out? The earlier mentioned burn pit?

Re: New Chapter - 08/25/20 12:20 PM

So far it has all been chainsaw and cordless sawzaw My son really seems to enjoy the work. Everything goes directly onto the fire ring. Needless to say we have had some impressive fires.

Re: New Chapter - 08/25/20 02:43 PM

I'm impressed with all the work you have put into this. It's really looking good.

Re: New Chapter - 08/26/20 12:23 PM

Thanks GFC. We have been hitting it pretty hard this summer & it is amazing the transformation. Taking this weekend off - daughter bday. Back at it next weekend for Labor day - hard to believe. Probably won't get much done but once the weather cools down the plan is to hit it hard again.

Re: New Chapter - 09/08/20 07:58 PM

Made it down for an amazing 4 days at the lake. Awesome labor day. Even got some work done. Had so much fun didn't even take any pictures. So nice to be able to get away from everything for a few days. Heading back down on Friday. Will try to get some pics if we don't have too much fun again. No promises.

Re: New Chapter - 09/10/20 04:02 PM

[Linked Image]

Found the wife had taken a few pics. On sunday it started out pretty rainy & overcast. Finally cleared out about 2 but was very windy. Decided it would be a good day for the waverunner. Not sure how it looks calm in the picture as it was very rough. Picture is me & daughter going for a ride.
Posted By: Frantically Relaxing

Re: New Chapter - 09/11/20 09:36 PM

So, was it hard towing that monolith? laugh

Seriously, it looks like you're towing it, there's even what appears to be a rope--- wink

Re: New Chapter - 09/13/20 12:23 AM

Thats funny

Re: New Chapter - 09/21/20 03:03 PM

Since the weather wasn't cooperating for boating this weekend we decided to finally start the last piece of exterior work we had to complete. The 2nd floor on the back of the house still had the vertical cedar siding. We tore all of that off. Then had to tear off the black fiber board they used for sheathing off & replaced it with new osb. Should have new siding up shortly. Although this upcoming weekend is calling for low 80's so we will probably take advantage of what could be last boating weekend.

[Linked Image]

Re: New Chapter - 10/12/20 02:23 PM

Little bit closer. Planning on going down next weekend to finish peak.

[Linked Image]

Re: New Chapter - 10/26/20 12:21 PM

Exterior siding complete. Just needs a little paint but that will have to wait for spring. Feels good to finally get that off the list.

[Linked Image]

Re: New Chapter - 11/04/20 02:01 PM

Long way since it looked like this.

[Linked Image]

Re: New Chapter - 11/05/20 06:40 PM

Kevin:
Looks like you could qualify as a miracle worker.

Re: New Chapter - 11/30/20 02:52 PM

Part of my son's landscaping project at the lake he was building a go kart track.

He has moved on to phase #2.

This is kart #1. Basically for his sister 10 year old Katie

[Linked Image]

Re: New Chapter - 11/30/20 02:54 PM

Then he found #2.
This one is at least adult sized & has suspension.
He has ordered up a new more powerful engine & other performance enhancements.

[Linked Image][/url]

Re: New Chapter - 11/30/20 02:55 PM

This weekend #3 was added to the fleet

[Linked Image]

Re: New Chapter - 11/30/20 02:59 PM

Currently on the search for another kart like #2 & that should round out the collection. For now anyway.
If this keeps up at this pace we are gong to need a bigger barn sooner rather than later.
There is actually talk of building a lean to structure behind the barn for extra toy storage.
When he first came clean about what he was building i thought he was nuts but it is actually turned out to be alot more fun that i would have ever imagined.
He is just a big kid at heart & wants to make sure his little sister has as many opportunities as possible to expand her activities.

Re: New Chapter - 11/30/20 04:35 PM

Does the seat on the bike say "Coleman?" I have never seen one of those.

Re: New Chapter - 11/30/20 04:55 PM

It is a Coleman

https://www.colemanpowersportsusa.com/products/bt200x/

Re: New Chapter - 12/01/20 01:59 AM

Cool Bike. Is it really $600 new?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzTe0vCxnaU&feature=emb_rel_end

Re: New Chapter - 12/01/20 03:15 AM

We paid $549 brand new.

Re: New Chapter - 12/01/20 06:22 AM

I don't suppose it qualifies as a street bike.

Re: New Chapter - 12/01/20 01:09 PM

No brake lights or turn signal so definitely not street legal.

But for $549 its plenty of fun.

Once we get all the modifications done it will be even more fun.

Re: New Chapter - 12/01/20 06:20 PM

Kevin, nice gains on the house but I gotta ask--with all those toys how do you ever find time for working on the house?

I'm loving the scooter. When I was 15 and not yet legal to drive I bought a Cushman Husky from a friend for the princely sum of $25. It was street legal and became my main mode of transportation for a couple of years. I put a bazillion miles on that thing (seemed like it anyways!) in the couple of years I owned it. It was white, just like this one...

[Linked Image]

Re: New Chapter - 12/01/20 07:18 PM

GFC that is a very cool looking Cushman. Can't imagine what a blast it must have been at 15 to be cruising around on that.

Luckily we have gotten a good portion of the work done before the latest round of toys began arriving.

Re: New Chapter - 12/01/20 07:32 PM

We have always enjoyed as much fun time whenever possible.

That is the biggest reason the project has taken so long.

Re: New Chapter - 12/22/20 05:05 PM

[Linked Image]

Go kart #2 is under going fairly extensive rebuild.

New engine - original 6.5 horsepower - new motor 12 horsepower

New brakes, axle, shocks, clutch, sprocket, seat, brakes & throttle cables

probably forgetting something.

Re: New Chapter - 12/29/20 01:01 AM

Eight years ago today we closed on the lake house. Hard believe. Doesn't seem that long ago. It has been a long road but we are at a good place. Learned a lot along the way. Been a great way to spend time with my brother & son especially during covid its been nice to have our own place to escape to.

Re: New Chapter - 12/29/20 01:29 AM

Eight years ago today we closed on the lake house. Hard believe. Doesn't seem that long ago. It has been a long road but we are at a good place. Learned a lot along the way. Been a great way to spend time with my brother & son especially during covid its been nice to have our own place to escape to.

Wow, 9 years? I would have guessed it has been 4 or 5 years.

Wednesday will be our 9 year anniversary. We have made a lot of improvements, but nothing as dramatic as what you have done. However, this spring, that may change. We are in the planning stage of a renovation project that will add SQ footage and reconfigure existing rooms. The goal is to make the lake house our primary residence, sell our primary residence, and then purchase a winter home.

If you ever want to go riding in WI or Norther IL, give me a ring, I have 2 quad bikes, always looking for people to ride with.

Re: New Chapter - 12/29/20 03:14 AM

One area where we put a lot of effort was landscaping. Half of our property was brush and various undesirable species. Here is our side yard 9 years ago on move in day:

[Linked Image]

Here is the same view from this fall after reclaiming over 1 acre of brush:

[Linked Image]

From a few different perspectives:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: New Chapter - 12/29/20 03:17 AM

That is impressive how much better that looks. Great job. Gives me motivation to get going on ours.

Re: New Chapter - 02/07/21 01:03 PM

Another addition for the barn

https://global.yamaha-motor.com/business/waverunner/products/gp1800rsvho/

My son was searching for one of these last years & was unable to find one.

Picked this one up last week - apparently they are already sold out for 2021.

Sales continue to be strong & inventory is very low.

He was searching all over to find one.

Re: New Chapter - 02/07/21 05:57 PM

That's a great looking ride. Good job on finding it.

If I got on that I'd probably kill myself. I've ridden my brother's sled on Lake Huron and when I started jumping 3' waves I fell off so many times I'm, surprised I'm still alive, and it's just a plain-Jane machine that isn't a high power sled.

Re: New Chapter - 02/07/21 07:43 PM

1.8 liter fuel injected supercharged 300 horsepower should definitely get the job done.

Bought it in Azure blue - best looking Yamaha color.

Can't believe i'm thinking waverunners & the tempeture here is 0 today

Re: New Chapter - 02/07/21 11:59 PM

Can't believe i'm thinking waverunners & the tempeture here is 0 today

At least you're looking forward to the season by buying a new toy d
Not gonna get primed for it this year since there's not gonna be any boat shows to stoke the fires c

That beast should blow your hair off, not just back.

Re: New Chapter - 05/03/21 02:48 PM

Maiden voyage on the waverunner was this weekend. Thing is crazy fast & going to be lots of fun. Amazingly stable

Re: New Chapter - 10/31/21 03:57 PM

Not a lot of progress to report this summer. Added some hardwood on the stairs. Made a huge improvement. Finished up some small details.

[Linked Image]

Re: New Chapter - 11/01/21 01:08 PM

Every little bit helps to reach the goal. Looking good.

Re: New Chapter - 11/15/21 12:55 PM

Went down this weekend & closed it up for the year. All in all was a good year. Wrapped up some minor odds & edds. Exploring adding a lean too on the north side of the barn that would be used as outside living space. Hopefully numbers come in favorable & we can get it done by spring.

Re: New Chapter - 11/22/21 12:44 PM

My dock is all set for winter now. A couple of projects in the spring like repainting all the steel and coat the concrete with non slip epoxy. I also have a new Nest camera with flood lights to install over the winter.

Re: New Chapter - 11/22/21 09:44 PM

Here is our "New Chapter".

[Linked Image]

Re: New Chapter - 11/23/21 04:23 PM

Looks amazing - where is it?

Re: New Chapter - 11/24/21 05:21 PM

This is in SW Fl. We hope to close in February.

Due to the pandemic, we accelerated our retirement plans and sold our primary home and then contracted new construction in FL. We are living in the lake house in the mean time. I guess "Final Chapter" is probably more accurate than "Next Chapter" as this will be our retirement home.

Re: New Chapter - 11/24/21 05:30 PM

Are you keeping the lake house once Florida house is completed?

Re: New Chapter - 11/24/21 06:06 PM

Are you keeping the lake house once Florida house is completed?

We are going to decide that after 1 or 2 years to see how much time we spend in each location. It may come down to wether or not we can tolerate a summer in the FL heat and humidity. ouch

Re: New Chapter - 11/29/21 08:32 PM

Are you retiring to Florida? Is the house on the water so you can have your own dock?

Re: New Chapter - 12/04/21 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by MarkHB
Are you retiring to Florida? Is the house on the water so you can have your own dock?

We plan to retire in FL, but retirement is still a few years away.

We are not on the water, but we have a spot in the in/out service at the local marina. Due to the pandemic, and the mass migration to FL, there is a long wait for in/out services. We worked hard to get a spot in our local marina and were able to find a slightly used Regal 29 OBX as well.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: New Chapter - 12/04/21 02:46 PM

Nice looking boat, Congrats

Re: New Chapter - 12/05/21 07:42 PM

I agree, it is a nice looking boat.
Back to the house, A screened in pool to make the humid summers bearable?

Re: New Chapter - 12/05/21 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by MarkHB

I agree, it is a nice looking boat.
Back to the house, A screened in pool to make the humid summers bearable?

We opted for the extended lanai with outdoor kitchen (grill, vent hood, ice maker, fridge, sink). We also upsized the pool and opted for salt water vs clorine. Both the lanai and pool will be under a screened enclosure (these are pretty much standard down there these days).

I forgot to mention that boat was a group purchase (3 couples) - which really takes the sting out of the purchase price and the in/out service. All three (house, boat, in/out service) cost significantly more than they would have pre-pandemic. God only knows what the market will be like next year.

Re: New Chapter - 01/05/22 06:00 PM

Reynold, not a very good first post as it doesn't apply to New Chapter. Suggest you introduce yourself on a new thread and not solicit a business.
© 2022 BoatingABC.com