BoatingABC.com

Holiday DEALS

Posted By: KCook

Holiday DEALS - 11/23/18 08:51 PM

Best Buy got me. Scored a Samsung 10" Android tablet with GPS for $130.

Kelly
Posted By: MarkHB

Re: Holiday DEALS - 11/23/18 11:42 PM

I scored a Corona outa my fridge for free. Wife bought them so it is free to me but I am sure it will cost me somehow. I guess it did cost me a cabin in the Smokey Mountains last month.
Posted By: captkevin

Re: Holiday DEALS - 11/24/18 02:43 PM

Saw the Queen movie "Bohemian Rhapsody" with some free passes the wife got from work. Great movie

Then went out for dinner with a gift card that i got from work.

Great night & total cost $0
Posted By: Silverbullet

Re: Holiday DEALS - 11/24/18 05:23 PM

Being stuck in rest mode on black Friday isn't good.

Bought an iPad to make paper management for work easier
Bought a new printer for the house
Bought a new desktop as my current one crashes constantly. Not sure if I'll keep it.
1 TB SSD hard drive
Hunting base and mid layers

Basketball hoop for toddler, magic bullet blender.
Posted By: GoFirstClass

Re: Holiday DEALS - 11/24/18 05:55 PM

I didn't hit any stores yesterday. I usually don't anymore. When I used to get up at 0dark30 to go shopping it was more of a trip to see what was going on in the stores, do some people watching, etc. Only occasionally would I buy something.

This year mama wants a spa to put in the upstairs area where our sports bar is. Costco has 'em on sale in December. That's probably the only gift we'll get, aside from getting the genset rebuilt.

Oh, and I bought a bottle of No-Flex Digester for the black water tank--big spender that I am.

Re: Holiday DEALS - 11/25/18 06:50 PM

Pointless update -

Turns out that these Samsung Galaxy devices and Google Inc are joined at the hip. I could not access any of the "built-in" apps without first reviving my old Google account. Old as in really old, I hadn't done anything with that account for several years. I don't think my old Lenovo tablet required this. For all I know a Google membership is required for all Android devices regardless of brand. But somehow I don't get a warm feeling knowing that I am now in the warm embrace of the Google citadel.

That said, the Galaxy Tab E is a nice piece of gear, a big step up over my old Lenovo. And lightyears less expensive than Apple.

soitgoes

Re: Holiday DEALS - 11/26/18 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by KCook
Pointless update -

Turns out that these Samsung Galaxy devices and Google Inc are joined at the hip. I could not access any of the "built-in" apps without first reviving my old Google account. Old as in really old, I hadn't done anything with that account for several years. I don't think my old Lenovo tablet required this. For all I know a Google membership is required for all Android devices regardless of brand. But somehow I don't get a warm feeling knowing that I am now in the warm embrace of the Google citadel.

That said, the Galaxy Tab E is a nice piece of gear, a big step up over my old Lenovo. And lightyears less expensive than Apple.

soitgoes

All samsung devices require it and I think all android devices do since android is owned by Google. You're stuck with either an apple ID or Google ID. Or both.

Re: Holiday DEALS - 11/26/18 04:50 AM

So it seems.

Another bump in the road. Even though I made a fresh download (from Google Play store) of my favorite Android game its graphics will not work on the new Samsung. So if you go Android, stick with one gear brand for any hope of continuing video compatibility.

ohwell
Posted By: On Holiday

Re: Holiday DEALS - 11/27/18 12:35 PM

I went kayaking at the lake house on Black Friday, no crowds and very peaceful.
Posted By: WayWeGo

Re: Holiday DEALS - 11/27/18 07:47 PM

Kelly, I bought a Samsung tablet to use on the boat a couple of years ago. I have been using a Samsung phone for a few years and was amazed at the level of integration they have achieved. When I turned on the tablet and logged into Google the first time, it realized that I had another device and asked if I wanted to replicate it or pick and choose applications to install automatically. I picked the ones I wanted and the installation was seamless.

Yup, Google has lots of info on me, but I have resigned myself to stop worrying about it. I have been very careful to not let them have anything I don't want them to have. That said, they sure know a lot about my searching and shopping habits, so have a pretty accurate profile.

I was a good boy this year and did very little shopping for stuff that I didn't need. Just some holiday presents that I had already planned to purchase and were on sale. We had a house full of family and had a great time. Hope everyone else did too!

Re: Holiday DEALS - 11/27/18 10:55 PM

Yup. When I fired up "Maps" on this new tablet it automatically went to my house on my street. Info that I had not entered since getting the tablet. Google knows all . . .

ohwell

Re: Holiday DEALS - 11/28/18 07:02 PM

You can run but you can't hide...

Re: Holiday DEALS - 11/28/18 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by WayWeGo

lol

Re: Holiday DEALS - 11/29/18 03:49 AM

And now Google is working on becoming a telecom by adding cell service.

Re: Holiday DEALS - 11/29/18 06:49 PM

Not only does Google have a phone service, but you can get a free number from them that you can forward to your own phone. Then you can give the Google number out to people you don't want to have your real phone. If it gets to be a problem you can get a different Google phone number that is not associated with your old one.

Re: Holiday DEALS - 11/30/18 02:33 AM

Not only does Google have a phone service, but you can get a free number from them that you can forward to your own phone. Then you can give the Google number out to people you don't want to have your real phone. If it gets to be a problem you can get a different Google phone number that is not associated with your old one.

That's cool.
© 2019 BoatingABC.com