BoatingABC.com

Son's first truck

Posted By: Silverbullet

Son's first truck - 01/14/20 04:42 AM

He is 12 and now has 4 years to make it his. It needs work, but parts can be had.

1985 toyota 4x4
Solid axles
22re engine
5 speed
Pretty straight body
Some surface rust
Sunroof (I wish it didn't)
Am/FM tape deck

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Posted By: captkevin

Re: Son's first truck - 01/14/20 12:55 PM

What an great father son project. Can't wait to hear about the progess.
Posted By: GoFirstClass

Re: Son's first truck - 01/14/20 05:11 PM

My son's first truck was a Toyota pickup. He was a hands-on kind of kid so was always tearing one thing or another apart on it. He kept it for years and it always looked good.

In our family we have a 1981 Toyota that my wife's father bought new. He drove it for years then her son used it when we went to college. It still runs though we have to disconnect the battery when we're done driving it. It only gets driven a couple of times a year when something needs to be hauled. If we didn't disconnect the battery it'd be deader than a doornail. I think her son is saving it for his son who is now 9 years old. That would make 4 generations behind the wheel of that truck. Gotta be some kind of record there.

Here's a photo of it when I was using it 5 years ago to work on the boat.
[Linked Image]

Re: Son's first truck - 01/14/20 06:49 PM

Wow Mike continues to keep the resident cheapskate title with a 1981 truck. Good job - still looks pretty good.

Re: Son's first truck - 01/15/20 06:21 PM

By way of a confession, it's not my truck. It belongs to my step son. He's just hung onto it after college. Keeps it licensed and keeps insurance on it and we all get to use it. I put a new battery in it a few years ago. I figured that was the least I could do to have access to free transportation when I need it.

Whenever anyone uses it, they have to hook up the battery cable, give a shot of starter fluid down the carb and it fires right up.
Posted By: WayWeGo

Re: Son's first truck - 01/15/20 07:59 PM

GFC, why don't you put a battery disconnect switch on that truck? It would make life easier!
Posted By: Admin

Re: Son's first truck - 01/15/20 10:09 PM

But it would COST MONEY! ouch Perish the thought! gunner2
Posted By: On Holiday

Re: Son's first truck - 01/16/20 06:08 PM

I'm driving my son's truck now. My mother-in-law has willed her car to him as well however he doesn't know that yet. Right now he thinks he will be buying himself a brand new Massarti for his first vehicle. He's 12.
Posted By: Dock Holiday

Re: Son's first truck - 01/18/20 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by On Holiday
Right now he thinks he will be buying himself a brand new Massarti for his first vehicle. He's 12.

If he wants to own a Maserati, you should guide to him to take all auto shop classes offered at his high school.

Re: Son's first truck - 01/19/20 06:59 PM

OH, when I was much younger than I am now and was serving in the USAF in Alaska I had one of those AHA moments. I noticed that all of the newer cars and trucks were driven by the younger guys who lived in the barracks or were married and lived off base, and the older guys drove older cars and trucks.

I have carried that lesson throughout my adult life and probably have saved a ton of money by living that way.
Posted By: Jack T

Re: Son's first truck - 01/20/20 05:03 AM

Two or Three tons of money, maybe more like it?
Posted By: On Holiday

Re: Son's first truck - 01/23/20 02:54 PM

Agreed GFC, on social media a friend said he recently cut the cable bill. I cut my cable bill back in 1999 when I purchased my first house and this was because I didn't have the extra cash to spend. Now 20 years later we still don't have cable and that is alright with me. I figure if cable is $80/month and that may be cheap, I've saved close to $20k not paying a cable bill.

As far as cars, we pay cash on a used vehicle and the last one we got rid of was in our family for 20 years. Our one truck has been with us for 17 years which may become our sons in a few years.

Re: Son's first truck - 04/23/20 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by WayWeGo
GFC, why don't you put a battery disconnect switch on that truck? It would make life easier!

WWG, I just caught up with this thread and I think that's a great idea. I'll pick up one of the battery switches and put it in the truck the next time I borrow it. Does it matter if it's hooked up on the negative or positive side?
Posted By: MarkHB

Re: Son's first truck - 04/23/20 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Dock Holiday
Right now he thinks he will be buying himself a brand new Massarti for his first vehicle. He's 12.

If he wants to own a Maserati, you should guide to him to take all auto shop classes offered at his high school.

Oh, Nothing wrong with wanting a Maserati. Beautiful car to drive.

Re: Son's first truck - 04/27/20 12:29 PM

Agreed GFC, on social media a friend said he recently cut the cable bill. I cut my cable bill back in 1999 when I purchased my first house and this was because I didn't have the extra cash to spend. Now 20 years later we still don't have cable and that is alright with me. I figure if cable is $80/month and that may be cheap, I've saved close to $20k not paying a cable bill.

As far as cars, we pay cash on a used vehicle and the last one we got rid of was in our family for 20 years. Our one truck has been with us for 17 years which may become our sons in a few years.

WE cut cable around 10 years ago. We do have to pay for internet and Netflix which is about $70 per month total. I figure we save $50-$70 per month on that. I'm not always that thrifty though. But, I rarely pay for convenience, sometimes to a fault. I am paying my kid for convenience as he does chores around the place to earn money. We're even thinking about having a housecleaner come in once per month to clean a few areas in the house. That's a long story.

Originally Posted by GoFirstClass

WWG, I just caught up with this thread and I think that's a great idea. I'll pick up one of the battery switches and put it in the truck the next time I borrow it. Does it matter if it's hooked up on the negative or positive side?

I don't think it would matter as long as you break all the connections, i.e. are there multiple leads off the negative? Heck, I think they even make battery terminal clamps that have a disconnect built in. When you remove a battery, they tell you to usually remove the negative first anyway.

Originally Posted by MarkHB

Oh, Nothing wrong with wanting a Maserati. Beautiful car to drive.

Nothing wrong with it at all. Mom and I remind him that nice cars and big garages generally take good jobs.

I don't know if his high school does. That's my one regret about high school classes. I wish I would have taken all the shop classes. Primarily auto shop, but I wish I could go back and take them all.

Re: Son's first truck - 04/27/20 07:38 PM

GFC, for your purpose, either terminal will work and you should probably pick the easiest one to wire to. The negative terminal usually has only one wire, but the positive sometimes has additional wires which can make it more difficult to work with.

Just don't let anyone turn off the truck using the battery switch! It can fry the alternator if you don't use a special switch that has poles to break the alternator wiring also.

Re: Son's first truck - 04/29/20 12:16 AM

Just don't let anyone turn off the truck using the battery switch! It can fry the alternator if you don't use a special switch that has poles to break the alternator wiring also.

Thanks for that info. As you guys already know, I'm not a mekanyk.

I'll have to make a point of educating Tina's son about that. He's a Very good CPA, great father and husband but he's one of those guys who, before he uses a screwdriver has to think to himself "Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosey". I think he owns two tools. One is a hammer and the other a screwdriver and I'm sure he thinks they're interchangeable.

Re: Son's first truck - 05/14/20 05:08 PM

[quote=WayWeGo][quote=GoFirstClass]I'll have to make a point of educating Tina's son about that. He's a Very good CPA, great father and husband but he's one of those guys who, before he uses a screwdriver has to think to himself "Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosey". I think he owns two tools. One is a hammer and the other a screwdriver and I'm sure he thinks they're interchangeable.

My dad was not a mechanic at all, though he did fix everything himself. My favorite story about his efforts was when he broke off the dipstick tube flush with the block on his old '60 Cadillac when changing the oil. To try and turn it out, he raided my brothers nice tool chest and got out a big Craftsman straight blade screwdriver. It grabbed the broken tube fine but he couldn't turn it by hand, so rather than use a wrench on the square shaft, he put vise grips on the plastic handle. Eventually, the handle split and broke off, so he got out my brother's new 1/2" drill and chucked up the four sided screwdriver shank in the three sided drill chuck. Obviously, they did not match up and the screwdriver was not exactly inline with the drill, causing the drill to oscillate wildly. He proceeded to drill out the rest of the broken tube with the drill, banging it around fiercely, leaving it heavily battered. Once he completed this operation, he was able to put in the new dipstick tube and go on his way.

My brother started locking his tools up after this. The drill looked like it had many years of abuse with lots of grease covering up the dings and scratches, and the screwdriver would not have been useable, even if it still had a handle.

As for the Caddy, it spun a bearing a week later since he never thought to change the oil after dropping all those metal filings into the oil pan.

I learned a lot from watching that scenario, which lead to me buying my own tools (remember my brother started locking his up) and hanging out at a friend's house where his father taught all of us the right way to do things and let us drool over his extensive tool collection.

Re: Son's first truck - 05/14/20 07:04 PM

Great story WayWeGo

My Dad used to lock up his tools - even though i had better ones.

Re: Son's first truck - 05/15/20 09:04 PM

I certainly lock mine up.
Posted By: casualboater

Re: Son's first truck - 05/22/20 03:10 PM

I have a distinct memory from when I was young, 11 or 12 I imagine, of my dad getting on my case for using his good hammer and losing it. He was kind of relentless about it. We opened up the boat in the spring, surprise, hammer! When he passed I ended up with a lot of his tools, and I made especially sure to grab that hammer. It's hanging above my bench and I sometimes smile when I use it.
Posted By: Jack T

Re: Son's first truck - 05/23/20 01:04 AM

Nice story
© 2020 BoatingABC.com