BoatingABC.com

Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !)

Posted By: tpenfield

Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 07/13/21 11:01 PM

I got the Formula 330 on the market as of last week and am now thinking about the next boat.

I've been toying with the idea of getting a 38 footer w/ triple outboards. The Admiral is not as keen on those types of boats and really liked the Cruisers 328 CX that we saw at the Palm Beach boat show.

Captain's (me) preference is a bigger boat to handle bigger seas. the ones I like are. . .

1) Donzi 38 ZSF
2) Intrepid 377/370 cuddy (the more pricey of the 3)
3) Fountain 38 LX

All come with triple Mercury Verados 250-300 HP each

The Admiral (wifey) likes the stern access of the I/O boats. So, those would be . . .

1) Cruiser 328/338 (mid-cabin bowrider)
2) Chaparral 327/337 SSX (similar to the Cruisers)
3) Formula 330 CBR (similar to the other 2, but more pricey)

These boats would be about the same size as my F-330, but would have a lot more seating due to the bowrider aspect. They do come in outboard versions more recently, but they would be about 2-3X my budget, so it would be I/O versions of these new-style bowrider/crossovers.

If I did get an I/O, I could possibly convert it to a twin outboard in the future, once I have saved more of my weekly allowance laugh

Thoughts? Go big, or . . . Stay the same? idn Thoughts on any of these 6 boats? Other boats to consider?

PS - as far as usage . . . I use my current boat mostly for sandbar activities (Beach/Boat/Beer), no fishing, a few overnights.

Posted By: captkevin

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 07/14/21 01:32 AM

How exciting to be looking for new boat.

Whoever gets your old boat is going to get probably the best maintained boat ever.

Outboards would definitely seem like a good choice in saltwater but keeping wife happy is huge.

Those are some great choices.
Posted By: On Holiday

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 07/14/21 11:41 AM

You know what they say about a happy wife
Posted By: Silverbullet

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 07/15/21 02:53 PM

Is there an MCOB that would work to give you more seating, but also a mid cabin?

You are so far out of my boating allowance and opportunity, but it's fun to see what's coming.

And I agree with Kevin. Whoever gets your boat is getting something special.

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 07/15/21 09:11 PM

Hi SB-

I'm struggling with "MCOB" . . . mid-cabin outboard??? idn

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 07/16/21 01:36 AM

Guessing you are right on the mid cabin outboard

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 07/21/21 11:15 PM

Quick update . . .

I have accepted an offer on the Formula and the survey is scheduled for Monday (hoping all goes well).

The Admiral and I took a look at a Cruisers 328 that happens to be near us. Definitely a nice boat - built like a tank. So, we will be going for the 'happy wife' approach and focusing on the Cruisers 328/338's.

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 07/22/21 11:52 AM

That is great news. Congrats. Can't wait to hear more about new boat.

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 07/28/21 08:28 AM

Throwing another brand/model into the Mid-cabin Bowrider mix. . . .

Cobalt 336 (or R35). . .

So, I got on the 33-foot short list

Cruisers 328/338
Chaparral 327/337
Cobalt 336/R35
(Maybe) Formula 330 CBR . . . although I prefer to stay with a 22˚ deadrise hull - the Formula is 21˚

Just waiting for the end-of-season market price slump to kick in. crazy

I would still like to step aboard one of the 38 foot OB's on my list, but none near me on the market.

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 07/28/21 02:47 PM

Those are some nice choices.

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 07/28/21 09:47 PM

OK . . . since the 38 footers (with outboards) are mostly in Mid-Atlantic and Florida, I decided to add a couple of 35 footers to my list . . .

Intrepid 348 WA . . . (twin outboards) . there are a couple in the MA/RI area.
Posted By: athiker

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 07/29/21 04:06 PM

I can't help with any info on those boats, but if you want to stay in the Formula family and go up to 50 feet, here is your boat - Formula 500 SSC

I was going to write a bunch of comments about it, but just watch the video...amazing what they threw into this thing.

If you want to build a new one, bring about $3M - heck the graphics upgrade costs $31k! - https://www.formulaboats.com/500-super-sport-crossover/overview

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 07/29/21 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by athiker
I can't help with any info on those boats, but if you want to stay in the Formula family and go up to 50 feet, here is your boat - Formula 500 SSC

I was going to write a bunch of comments about it, but just watch the video...amazing what they threw into this thing.

If you want to build a new one, bring about $3M - heck the graphics upgrade costs $31k! - https://www.formulaboats.com/500-super-sport-crossover/overview

Yea, if only my weekly allowance was at that level. . . laugh I'm not sure I'd want any of the big boats that they (Formula) make, unless I had a slip (instead of a mooring). . . but if you can buy one of those boats, a slip is chump change. funny

I'm looking forward to boat shopping and probably will take a look at the 35 footers first to see how they compare up close to the Cruisers 328 that we looked at. I *think* the boat market is starting to come back to a more normal state, as I see price reductions more frequently. Demand is still pretty high, but I think the supply has caught up in the near term.

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 08/03/21 09:43 PM

There is a 37 footer w/ triple OB's about 30 mins away from me. A bit out of my budget range, but over priced. (It has been listed since the Spring)

Dare I look idn

Meanwhile - more bites on the F-330, but I've decided to keep it for a few more weeks as we will have house guests coming and would hate to be boat-less shocked

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 08/04/21 10:55 PM

Can't hurt to look? Never know. If it has been on market as long as you say they might be ready to deal.

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 08/05/21 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by captkevin
Can't hurt to look? Never know. If it has been on market as long as you say they might be ready to deal.

Yup - 3 Intrepid boats in the general area (MA) a 377 (37') w/triple 300 HP OB's, and two 348 (35') w/ twin 300 HP OB's.

I think we will look at those first and see if the Admiral thinks they are 'OK'.
Posted By: Silverbullet

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 08/06/21 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by tpenfield
There is a 37 footer w/ triple OB's about 30 mins away from me. A bit out of my budget range, but over priced. (It has been listed since the Spring)

Dare I look idn

Meanwhile - more bites on the F-330, but I've decided to keep it for a few more weeks as we will have house guests coming and would hate to be boat-less shocked

My only comments is if you get a hard bite on the 330, I'd let it go even if it means going boatless.

I have nowhere big enough to need a 33' boat, but having that on our lake would sure smooth it out. No, that's not a hard bite!

Where is it listed?

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 08/07/21 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Silverbullet

My only comments is if you get a hard bite on the 330, I'd let it go even if it means going boatless.

I have nowhere big enough to need a 33' boat, but having that on our lake would sure smooth it out. No, that's not a hard bite!

Where is it listed?

Yes - I would go boatless, if need be. I have the boat listed on CL, FB, BoatTrader, and SmartMarineGuide

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 08/18/21 09:39 AM

Quick Update -

I still have the Formula crazy . . . which is OK actually, as we've had family and friends visiting over the past few weeks and the boat has come in handy.

I get inquiries just about every day, but most of them are hit and runs. I've had 3 showings, and a few more potentially for this weekend, but nobody has sealed the deal. I will say that the market is very active with people 'looking' at boats, but I don't see the buying frenzy of a few months ago. Of course, a lot more boats came on the market in July. So, it probably will take a while to settle out.

Facebook seems to be the preferred marketing channel, as most of my inquiries have come from there vs. Boattrader, CL, or others.

The number of hours on the engines seems to be a stumbling block for my situation. 'Fresh water' folks only want fresh water boats. 'Salt water' folks don't mind a boat that has been in the salt.

I'm thinking if the boat does not sell, I'll do a rebuild of the engines over the winter and take another run at it next spring. (priced accordingly of course).

I've also been studying up on the I/O engines on newer boats, if I go that route with the 'next' boat. Lots to be concerned/knowledgeable about since everything 2012+ has Cat Converters, so it adds a new twist ($,$$$) to the maintenance of an I/O in ocean waters.

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 08/18/21 09:47 PM

Surprised to here you boat has not sold already.

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 08/18/21 11:14 PM

Surprised to hear you boat has not sold already.

I am thinking it is the age and the hours, but who knows idn

I do have to laugh though . . . I have inquiries from people both near and a few far away. The couple of inquiries from far away have both said "It's is exactly what I am looking for"

I'm thinking to myself . . . a 25 year old boat with over 1,000 hours on the engines is exactly what you are looking for ????

Really???
Posted By: Puddle Pirate 2

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 08/30/21 07:32 PM

Looked at your ad and it looks like it's under contract. Congrats! She looks extremely clean and well maintained. Love the doggy ladder.

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 08/30/21 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Pirate 2
Looked at your ad and it looks like it's under contract. Congrats! She looks extremely clean and well maintained. Love the doggy ladder.

Yes, and fingers crossed is sells. I'm ready for the next adventure laugh

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 08/30/21 09:48 PM

Good luck

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 09/07/21 09:44 PM

The boat is sold. Now I am officially a buyer and no longer a seller. laugh

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 09/07/21 10:04 PM

Congrats
Posted By: Puddle Pirate 2

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 09/13/21 10:13 PM

[img]https://scontent-bos3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...818c5d7bafa2e0136e60a1cc&oe=615E94E6[/img]

The boat is sold. Now I am officially a buyer and no longer a seller. laugh

Welcome to the suck. Not a lot out there. I'm jonesin'...killin the wife looking at boats every weekend and finding problems left and right. Wife spotted bad blistering on the radar arch of a boat I have looked at 3 times now...she has a good eye for faults even tho she doesn't know jack about boats really.

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 09/13/21 11:14 PM

I have a few boats in mind . . . the thing is that with the end of the season approaching in the northeast, most of what is left on the market is over-priced. . . . even for COVID pricing . . . and they have been on the market all summer. I have a 'Pro' level BUCvalue subscription, so I can get the much of the same pricing info the marine surveyors get.

I can deal with problems, and to some extent I'd prefer to go after a boat with certain problems that keep others away. It is more a matter of not paying an inflated price for problems.

The Admiral is not liking the layouts of the 'fishing' style boats, even though the models I'm considering have more seating than what you would consider normal for 'fishing' boats. The mid-cabin bowriders seem like they are going to win the day for our selection process. Just a matter of who wants to sell and who wants to keep their boat for the winter. The mid-cabin bowriders that I have under consideration will be I/O powered, but in time I can swap the engines over to outboards. I may throw an offer out on a boat this weekend to see what happens. idn I've been without a big-boy boat for a week now and am starting to have withdrawal symptoms funny

Meanwhile, the guy that bought my boat has been getting some good use out of it and has some nice plans for its future. thumb

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 09/17/21 09:02 PM

Looking at a couple of boats this weekend. . . . checkbook in hand. laugh idn funny

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 09/17/21 10:38 PM

Very exciting. Keep us posted

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 09/19/21 10:39 PM

0 for 2 this weekend . . .

We looked at a Cruisers 328 mid-cabin bowrider that we had looked at earlier this season. I found the engines had quite a bit of rust on the pulleys/belt area and the engine mounts were not serviceable due to heavy rust.

Then we looked at a Donzi ZSF that was in good shape, but the helm position and forward visibility seemed to be a problem. I figured it would be hard to manage around tight spaces and the dock.

Next on the hit list are another Cuisers 338 and an Intrepid 35 footer w/ twin OB's.

Many of the prices seem to be about 30% high, which I'm not seeing that the current market will support. We shall see how things play out heading into the off season.

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 09/20/21 04:58 PM

We have another Cruisers 338 that is just coming on the market to potentially look at. So, hopefully we will have some traction soon.

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 09/21/21 05:47 PM

We looked at an Intrepid 348 today and have appointments for Cruisers 338's on Saturday and Tuesday.

The Intrepid was better than the Donzi ZSF from a piloting perspective, but the boat seemed a bit tired, even though it had a lot of updating . . . 2 new Mercury Verado 350's.

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 09/21/21 08:28 PM

Verado's would be nice - now if only the rest of the boat was nice.

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 09/21/21 09:37 PM

As I shop for boats, I am hearing crazy stories about the circumstances in which people buy boats, don't use them, then decide to sell them. Or people that buy a boat and want to trade-up only a few months later .

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 09/24/21 09:57 PM

We will be looking at one boat on Saturday and then 2 boats on Tuesday. Another boat that I looked at locally and might have passed on may still be in play as the broker called me today. That makes it 4 boats under consideration right now . . . so we shall see if we find our way to one of them over the next week or so . . .

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 09/25/21 12:13 PM

Sounds like fun. Inspired me to look around & within 500 miles didn't really see anything of interest. Keep us posted.

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 09/25/21 03:53 PM

Update Du Jour . . .

We looked at one boat today, it was fine, a bit pricey, but who knows.

Tuesday - There is another boat I want to take a look at not too far from the other 2 boats. So, we may have a third boat to look at that day.

I think it is going to come down to who wants to sell and who doesn't.

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 09/26/21 07:21 PM

It appears that I picked up a nail or something in the rear tire of my car while looking at the boat yesterday. After having driven home, I went out to the car and the tire was flat.

All indications seemed to point to a nail in the tire ( tire deflates in 2-3 hours ) So I spent about 2 hours last night looking for the nail and came up empty. My car has those 'run-flat' tires and therefore has no spare tire or tire changing jack/tools. I called AAA this morning to assist with the jacking and wheel removal. It turned out that whatever punctured the tire was no longer there and just a hole in the tread where air was escaping.

Once found, it was a quick fix with a plug in the tire.

Looks like I better stock the car with some tools and a jack for any future occurrences.

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 09/27/21 12:06 AM

I was under the impression that run flats were non repairable.

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 09/27/21 12:26 PM

I was under the impression that run flats were non repairable.

I was questioning that myself, but it looks like they can be and have been repaired, . . . as long as the nail in not near the sidewall, because the sidewalls are much thicker on the run-flat tires (as I understand it).

Anyway, the hole in the tire was dead center, so no question about it. I drove from VT to MA this am and no issues.

We are going to take our other car to Long Island, NY to look at several boats tomorrow, giving mine a rest laugh
Posted By: Justification

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 09/27/21 01:44 PM

How did the car (and what car was it) ride and handle running "flat"? Noticeable difference?
Are you just supposed to go to the nearest repair shop, or can you run a couple hundred miles without damaging the tire?

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 09/27/21 02:17 PM

That's a lot of questions . . . . idn

The car is a 2015 BMW 5-series.

I think we hit the nail (or whatever) on the way back from seeing the boat on Saturday and it had not lost a lot of air by the time we got home. The tire pressure warning system never gave a message. However, later in the day when heading out to dinner, the car told me it had a flat tire as soon as I started it up and not to go over 50 mph. We took another car.

The tire gets down to about 10 PSI and then the sidewalls of the tire support the weight, so air does not leak out beyond that and the tire looks like it is half-inflated. It seems like the whole run-flat concept is to get you off the road/highway and to a service station, not having to actually change the tire out on the road.

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 09/27/21 02:57 PM

That's a lot of questions . . . . idn

or if you prefer

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 09/29/21 09:16 AM

Boat shopping trip debrief . . .

We saw 3 boats yesterday. . .

Cruisers 338
Chaparral 337
Formula 330 CBR

We disqualified the Chappy as the cabin layout is not 'Admiral Approved' weird

We had not considered the Formula 330 CBR as a finalist because of our mediocre impressions at several boat shows over the past couple of years . . . but . . . having looked at one close up and for a longer period of time, it is a strong 2nd to the Cruisers 338.

One rather shocking take-away from our shopping trip is that 2 of the boats, being fairly new (5-6 years old) had seam tears in the cockpit upholstery. The Cruisers boat had a severe case of switching deterioration in the seating, where the thread has broken in many places and the seams were coming apart. bug_eyes The Formula had the vinyl itself tearing at the seams in several places. These are on 5 year old boats !!! ouch bug_eyes rolleyes Even some of the intact upholstery on boats that we've seen looks worn after 5 years.

My previous Formula did not show any signs of upholstery wear/tear until the seats were over 20 years old. I am just wondering if upholstery isn't what it used to be idn

Anyway, so now we are balancing a set of imperfections, as is the case with most used boat purchasing decisions.

Boat #1
+ Engine and engine bay appearances are the best
+ Upholstery is in the best shape
- Exterior hull cosmetics in the worst shape (fading gelcoat) - Least desirable color combo
+ Most feature rich
+ Good power - Full closed cooling
- High number of hours (about double what is normal for age)
- Asking price beyond budget range

Boat #2
- Upholstery needs replacing (minor disaster) - seams are coming apart in many places
- Generally looks a bit beat up
- Least feature rich - No Microwave, No TV
Engine and engine bay cosmetics are OK
+ Good power - Full closed cooling
+ Average number of hours
May have already had 2 owners in 5 years
+ Asking price within budget range

Boat #3
+ Overall appearance is the best
- Under powered - Full closed cooling
Moderate features - No TV
- Upholstery needs attention/repair
- Heaviest boat w/ least power
- Hull structure least desirable (Perma Panel wood)
+ Average number of hours
- Asking price beyond budget range

Boat #4
+ Overall condition in decent shape - some signs of neglect
- engine package is least desirable
- engine and engine bay appearance are bad (rust/mold)
+ Good features
Cockpit upholstery intact but looks worn
- Little usage, been sitting
+ Best asking price

Anyway - barring some additional boats coming on the market or some significant price reductions on over-priced boats that we did not even consider . . . It may be decision time . . .

I imagine I'll start somewhere and work my way through the list as needed.

Which one . . . idn grin

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 09/29/21 11:59 AM

After seeing some of the projects you have done I'd sure whatever you buy will be amazing.

If it were me i'd have to rule out the under powered boats.

You can fix things that need attention buy repowering is a bigger deal - unless the price reflects.

Either way sounds like you have some decent choices.

One thing in you favor is you are buying at the best time of the year.

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 09/29/21 12:11 PM

Yes, I agree . . . under powered is a tough fix and a tough sell if I wanted to bail out after a few years. My long range plan with I/O power would be to re-power with 350 Verado OB's at some point . . . and sell the I/O power packages to offset some of the cost.

In the near term . . .

Boat #1 would have me re-doing gelcoat/paint scheme

Boat #2 would have me re-doing upholstery

Boat #3 would have me thinking about re-powering sooner

Boat #4 . . . let's hope I don't get to boat #4 funny

I am also seeing that many folks selling 5-7 year old boats have not taken the best care of them and their remedy is to sell and buy new again, starting the abuse process all over again. The new boat sales folks must love that . . . laugh bow

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 09/29/21 02:28 PM

Have to agree in how many people do not take care of boats.

Looked at many that i had great hopes for only to be completely shocked how poorly they were taken care of.

Just don't understand how you can make such a large investment & just let it get destroyed.

Removing i/o's & going to outboards would seem like a huge undertaking but looking the the amazing work you are capable i'm sure it would come out beautiful

It would seem like a huge undertaking in cost & work involved - wouldn't it just be easier to buy an outboard boat? Or is it just factor that none are available?

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 09/29/21 03:02 PM

The Cruisers 338 OB has only been out for a few years, as have many of the similar mid-cabin boats with outboards. So, there are very few, if any, used ones available (the current owners haven't finished destroying them yet funny ) The new ones are about 2X my budget.

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 09/29/21 03:05 PM

I am thinking about Boat #2, as my super-duper industrial sewing machine is getting lonely . . . laugh

Just a matter of the negotiated price making it worth the challenge.

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 09/30/21 12:48 AM

Would think you would have a huge advantage as being able to do the work yourself .

Alot of potential buyers would take a look at the condition & run for the hills when they start to add up how much the work needed is going to cost.

Not everyone is looking for a project so limits buyers -

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 09/30/21 09:47 AM

Would think you would have a huge advantage as being able to do the work yourself .

Alot of potential buyers would take a look at the condition & run for the hills when they start to add up how much the work needed is going to cost.

Not everyone is looking for a project so limits buyers

Exactly. The boat needing new upholstery is new to the market and has a few showings this week. If it survives the weekend and remains on the market, then I think it will be ripe for the picking (maybe) laugh

Time is running out in the northeast (and other northern areas) as many boats will be pulled from the water over the next few weeks. I've bought a boat in December, but would prefer to buy one before the snow flies.

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 09/30/21 12:32 PM

Season coming to an end should be another motivating factors for sellers that don't want to wait until spring to sell.

At same time pool of potential buyers slows way down as well.

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 09/30/21 04:38 PM

As I am going through the buying process, I am seeing 3 major factors . . .

1) Condition & issues of the boat - ( I am not seeing that the 'CPO' process of cars carries over to boats - many/most relatively new boats seem to have issues)

2) Motivation and perspective of the buyer (me) - what issues are they willing to deal with, what is their budget, how badly do they want the boat, comparative values

3) Motivation and perspective of the seller (them) - what is their need/desire to sell, what are their financial constraints (loans, cost to sell, etc), perception of value

It seems like you need to have a union of all 3 factors to make a transaction .

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 10/04/21 12:04 AM

Quick update:

I've reached out to both the Cruisers and the Formula tech support folks to get some information about the boats, and received word back

Looks like the replacement vinyl is about $11K for the skins, then there is removal of the old skins and installation of the new skins.

I also got some factory build pictures of the Formula hull being laid up and the stringer grid installed.

Now it is a matter of seeing about offers and negotiation.

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 10/04/21 12:28 AM

Ouch 11k for skins

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 10/04/21 05:30 PM

Yes, that is about what I was expecting. But at least I have good input to know how I might proceed on such a boat.

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 10/05/21 04:25 PM

Ever hear of these guys?

www.copycatupholstery.com

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 10/05/21 10:04 PM

Ever hear of these guys?

www.copycatupholstery.com

Yes, I looked into them many years ago. I think smaller runabouts, bowriders, and pontoon boats are probably in their wheelhouse. Not sure how'd they do on a larger boat with more elaborate designs.

Of course, the way I'd make sweat equity is to do the job myself. laugh

I am quite particular on the choice of material and the quality of the sewing. Not sure I'd trust that to a copy cat. funny

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 10/10/21 07:10 PM

Quick Update . . .

I put an offer on a Cruisers Yachts 338 Mid-cabin Bowrider this past week and it was declined. So, I put in an offer on another Cruisers Yacht 338 yesterday and we have a deal. . . subject to sea trial and survey of course.

2016 Cruisers Yacht 338 CX . . . Twin Mercruiser 6.2L 350 HP Seacore, Bravo 3 . . . 33' LOA , 11K lbs

[Linked Image]

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 10/11/21 01:10 AM

Congrats & good luck
Posted By: Jack T

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 10/11/21 05:53 AM

Now, what are you going to do with all the time you will have on your hands.

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 10/11/21 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Jack T
Now, what are you going to do with all the time you will have on your hands.

Plenty to do . . .

This is Boat #2 on my list, so the upholstery is going to need some love, and I'll be installing a microwave oven in the cabin. I'm thinking about repairing the upholstery instead of replacing it, which should save some time and $$$.

The boat will need a cleaning of the engine bay and all the hidden areas, as well as some paint touch-up around the engines.

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 10/11/21 11:15 AM

Very Nice.
Time to change your Signature block yet?

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 10/11/21 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Justification
Very Nice.
Time to change your Signature block yet?

I'll wait until it is in my driveway laugh

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 10/11/21 05:42 PM

Quick Update:

I have the vessel and mechanical survey set for a week from today. I was fortunate to find a surveyor who does both the vessel and the engines.
Posted By: Dave R

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 10/13/21 10:32 AM

Congrats on the deal, I hope the survey works out in your favor. I have seen those at shows and they are a clever design.

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 10/13/21 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dave R
Congrats on the deal, I hope the survey works out in your favor. I have seen those at shows and they are a clever design.

Thanks Dave, I hope all is well with you and the Tollycraft. I have enjoyed your social media postings of your journeys with it.

I am looking forward to a 'modern' boat with all the bells & whistles . . . just hoping they don't all decide to crap out or throw fits. Happy to be staying with Mercruiser engines . . . even though they are the new generation of engine, it seems to be more familiar territory than having to learn about Volvo-Penta parts and maintenance.

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 10/13/21 03:01 PM

I have to give a shout-out to Cruisers Yachts Customer Support group - they have been great in answering questions and providing build information as well as factory photos. It will save me time in figuring out where everything is located within the boat's structure.

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 10/19/21 01:26 AM

Boat survey was today. A couple of issues to get sorted out, but I should be moving forward with the purchase in the next few days.

The boat is a tank - very solid ride in the chop.

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 10/19/21 11:49 AM

What does new boat weigh?

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 10/19/21 12:30 PM

What does new boat weigh?

A lot . . . funny

The dry weight is about 11,500 lbs. 2,300 lbs more than my Formula 330. Deeper V hull too.

I did not realize the compression on these engines was so high . . . something like 10:1 . . . the compression test came in at 195 psi +/- 5 psi. for both engines.

Sea Trial Video

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 10/20/21 05:40 PM

Quick Update . . .

We have the a few items from the survey agreed to be corrected by the seller before completing the sale. I have decided to get a trailer for the boat, rather than rely on boat haulers for both the initial transport and the seasonal launching. The boat haulers are all booked out for many weeks. Of course trailers are in high demand right now as well, so it has been a challenge.

It looks like I will be able to get a nice trailer (Made of USA components !!!) in about 3 weeks time. I spoke to the owner of the company and he is going to make it happen, as many of the other trailer sources are booked out about 6 weeks. My main concern is being able to transport the boat and get it winterized before cold weather sets in.

If all goes well, the repairs to the boat should be done about the same time the new trailer arrives and I'll be bringing the boat home in mid-November.

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 10/20/21 06:12 PM

Glad to hear things are working out. It will be nice to have a trailer for it.

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 10/20/21 08:43 PM

Also, as I learn more about the engines in the boat, these are the new generation of purpose-built engines designed/built by Mercury rather than using GM base engines.

It should be interesting to see how they perform vs. the traditional BBC engines that were in my Formula. I imagine that aftermarket parts may be a bit scarce and pricey.

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 10/27/21 01:51 PM

Quick Update . . .

I am waiting on some repairs to the boat that the seller has agreed to make, and also waiting on delivery of a brand new trailer being made . . . Not sure if that will happen according to the promised time frame. idn

Anyway, I have been soliciting price quotes for hauling the boat/trailer away to my home port (250 miles) and getting bids approaching $2K. shocked

Sooo, I decided to sell one of my cars and put the funds towards an F-250/350 truck, since I'll need a tow vehicle anyways. I put the car on FB Marketplace and got about 40 inquiries within a few hours. Sold it same day as listing it.

Now I am in truck shopping mode . . .

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 10/27/21 05:57 PM

Quick Update . . .

I am waiting on some repairs to the boat that the seller has agreed to make, and also waiting on delivery of a brand new trailer being made . . . Not sure if that will happen according to the promised time frame. idn

Anyway, I have been soliciting price quotes for hauling the boat/trailer away to my home port (250 miles) and getting bids approaching $2K. shocked

Sooo, I decided to sell one of my cars and put the funds towards an F-250/350 truck, since I'll need a tow vehicle anyways. I put the car on FB Marketplace and got about 40 inquiries within a few hours. Sold it same day as listing it.

Now I am in truck shopping mode . . .

I loved my 2007 GMC 2500 Sierra Classic SLT CCSB with the Duramax LBZ engine and 6 speed Allison automatic, when I was towing all the time. I bought it in Denver (no rust) and drove it home. If you find one with around 200k on the clock, they are pretty reasonably priced. They tow with absurd ease and are much more simple than the late 2007 (non-classic) and up Duramax engines. I sold it two years ago and still miss it...

If you still need someone to tow it home for you, I can probably hook you with someone that would do it for a lot less than 2 grand.

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 10/27/21 08:36 PM

Thanks Dave. The truck should be the easy part. I am looking at 15+/- year old trucks and trying to stay under 150K miles of usage, unless there has been a decent amount of mechanical work done. There are lots and lots of trucks for sale.

The hard part may be the trailer. If all goes well, and I get delivery in the next 2 weeks, it should be fine. If the trailer is delayed, then things get a bit dicey as far as needing to remove the boat from the marina, or the boat needing winterization. In a pinch I could probably winterize the fresh water system before haulout.

I got quotes of $2k for a haul-away service . . . truck tows my boat on my trailer. . . and $3K for a full transport service - hauler's truck and trailer - the boat offloaded at my house. I'm finding most boat transporters are busy beyond belief. Things may lighten up towards the end of November as most seasonal boat hauling will be done.

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 10/28/21 12:44 AM

Double the excitement, New boat & truck. Thats alot all at once. As big as the boat is i'd be concentrating on 3500 models.

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 10/28/21 10:29 AM

Double the excitement, New boat & truck. That's a lot all at once. As big as the boat is I'd be concentrating on 3500 models.

Yes, I have a few F-350 Diesel trucks lined up to see over the next few days. Towing the boat home would be about a 250 mile trip. Locally, I'd be only going a mile or 2 down the road to launch & retrieve, which is not much of a task for any truck.

There are 2 ramps near me . . . one is a very gradual grade and the other is fairly steep. So, the F-350 would handle pulling the rig up either. My Ford Explorer is only rated at 5,000 lbs towing, so not even close to what I would need - We'll leave that for towing the sailboat and the Whaler.

Of course - through it all I'm trying to manage the 'budget creep' the best I can ouch bug_eyes

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 10/28/21 03:45 PM

I can imagine things have a tendency get pricey in a hurry.

Have been looking at trucks for awhile now but in no hurry to pay top dollar.

Truck is not my daily driver so it doesn't get that many miles & is still in really good shape.

Might just keep it & fix a couple issues it has.

My daily driver got rear ended on the way home last night while i was sitting at a stop light.

No injuries & damage was not that bad.

Still annoying.

[Linked Image][/url]

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 10/30/21 01:10 PM

Bummer about the car . . . maybe that can be massaged out.

I looked at 1 truck yesterday . . . pretty rusty, so the search goes on. I'm targeting 15+ year old trucks, trying to stay about $13K or less.

I also wired the broker the money for the boat, so now I technically own the boat, just waiting for the paperwork, so I can get it all titled and registered in my name. The broker is acting as the escrow agent which is helpful.

The marina where the boat is currently located told me no rush in getting the boat out of there. Probably will be more of an issue on beating the calendar for winterization.

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 10/30/21 03:55 PM

How far away is the boat?

Could they just pull it out of the water so could winterize & leave on the hard until trailer arrives?

Got approval on claim yesterday.

Called my body shop & they are out until Jan.

Will try to fit in when they have a chance.

Sad part is the car didn't have a mark on it.

Would probably just pop out & live with scratches if it wasn't for the hole it punctured.
Posted By: WayWeGo

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 10/30/21 10:34 PM

Or can you cruise the boat home by water?

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 10/30/21 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by WayWeGo
Or can you cruise the boat home by water?

The boat is 180 miles by water and up to 250 miles by road, depending on the route.

In the summer, I'd try taking the boat by water, but with winter approaching not so much . . . If the trailer arrives as promised, I should be transporting the boat Mid-November.

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 10/31/21 09:45 AM

As I look for diesel trucks, I am learning a bit about diesel engines . . . terms like . . .

Studded
Deleted
LPOP
Stand Pipe
Dummy Plug
FICM
EGR
Glow Plugs
IPR & ICP Sensors

All sounding like 'fun' stuff . . . idn

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 10/31/21 01:07 PM

I know what 4 of them are.

Have been considering a 2500 diesel for the next truck.

Guess i have some more research to do.

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 11/01/21 04:39 PM

As I look for diesel trucks, I am learning a bit about diesel engines . . . terms like . . .

Studded
Deleted
LPOP
Stand Pipe
Dummy Plug
FICM
EGR
Glow Plugs
IPR & ICP Sensors

All sounding like 'fun' stuff . . . idn

Pre-late-2007 (no DEF) and "deleted" with no other mods (except maybe a PCV re-route) would be my choice.

"Deleted" just means the EGR is no longer functional. They can cause issues.

Best way to avoid rust is to buy outside the rust belt and drive it home.

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 11/07/21 09:34 AM

Slight change of plans . . .

The truck & trailer logistics are proving to be a challenge. Soooo, I am hiring a licensed captain to bring to boat via water to its new home port. Then I can figure something out for a local haul-out.

As such, I won't really need a substantial tow vehicle for local towing. My summer house is about a mile from the launch ramp. I'll just want to get something with "4WD Low" and a reasonably high tow rating.

I've been considering F-250's with the V8 or F-150's with the V8 or EcoBoost. 4x4 . . .
Posted By: MarkHB

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 11/07/21 11:09 AM

Have you thought about renting a F350 when needed. I remember that GFC used to rent when he hauled his boat to Portland.

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 11/07/21 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by MarkHB
Have you thought about renting a F350 when needed. I remember that GFC used to rent when he hauled his boat to Portland.

Yes, and I have decided I could have more flexibility and other uses for a truck rather than just renting.

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 11/07/21 01:59 PM

Having a truck around at your disposal is definitely an advantage.

Only towing that short of a distance would change the requirements dramatically & open up the possibilities.

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 11/07/21 09:56 PM

I have a F350 crew cab duelly that I purchased in 2007. Have 180000 miles on it now. Thought about getting a new one but at $100k I stopped dead in my tracks. I rarely use it, but it sure comes in handy when I do. The boat ramp is 2 minutes from my house so I launch 1 a year and put it back on the trailer 1 a year. Run to town occasionally and thats it.

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 11/08/21 09:25 AM

An F-250 or 350 Dually Diesel would be the perfect truck for towing my rig, if I needed to tow on a regular basis. 15,000 lb towing rating on those things. Yes, the prices on new trucks are pretty scary. My budget for a truck is $12-15K

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 11/08/21 12:51 PM

Hopefully you can find something that fits your needs.

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 11/09/21 07:23 PM

I picked up a 2012 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost 4WD drive today. And I think my trailer might be ready to pick up.

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 11/09/21 08:08 PM

My son has a 2018 F150 3.5 ecoboost - great truck.

His gas mileage kills my Ram.

We raced a couple times & he gets me every time.

What color?

Looks like the planets are aligning for you.

Congrats

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 11/09/21 10:52 PM

My son has a 2018 F150 3.5 ecoboost - great truck.

His gas mileage kills my Ram.

We raced a couple times & he gets me every time.

What color?

Looks like the planets are aligning for you.

Congrats

Yes, the gas mileage, just driving around, is supposed to be pretty good. The truck is a dark metallic green with a white/silver lower 2-tone stripe. The body and underside/frame are really clean and rust-free for a 10 y-o truck, particularly in the Northeast (USA).

I came in well below my budget.

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 11/10/21 01:11 PM

Under budget is good.

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 11/10/21 01:29 PM

Will that tow your boat or at least pull it up the ramp?

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 11/10/21 02:56 PM

Will that tow your boat or at least pull it up the ramp?

Yes, it should do both to the extent that I need. Only towing a mile or 2 a few times a year - and the 4WD 'Low' setting will certainly bring the boat up the ramps.

The 3.5 EcoBoost is 365 hp and I believe around 400 ft-lbs of torque.

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 11/10/21 11:41 PM

My sons 2018 F150 with 3.5 ecoboost just got oil pan #4 today. They are plastic.

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 11/12/21 08:11 AM

My sons 2018 F150 with 3.5 ecoboost just got oil pan #4 today. They are plastic.

That's good to know. Maybe duct tape in a pinch. idn laugh

Fortunately there are some Ford Truck forums to learn about all the ins and outs of these things.

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 11/12/21 12:26 PM

Don't think all years have the plastic pans. From what i am told at some point they went back to metal ones. Go figure.

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 11/17/21 09:40 AM

I picked up the triple axle trailer that I ordered . . . now waiting for the boat.

[Linked Image]

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 11/17/21 03:53 PM

Nice looking trailer.

Going to be nice having a trailer going forward.

Looks like Xmas is coming early

2 of the 3 pieces

When is the boat expected?

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 11/18/21 12:47 AM

The boat arrived today. The weather was very favorable for the 180 mile trip (by sea) to its new home port.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 11/18/21 01:37 AM

Looks awesome

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 11/19/21 02:21 AM

The boat is now on the trailer and at my house.

[Linked Image]

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 11/19/21 02:29 AM

How did the truck do?

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 11/19/21 11:09 AM

How did the truck do?

The truck did fine, but it was not much of a test, since my house is only a mile or so from the ramp. I think there is a lot of tongue weight, so I'll have to check it and adjust as needed. First launch/retrieve is always a challenge since nothing is dialed in.

I'm only going to do local towing. If I were towing any real distance, I'd have an F250 diesel. I think if my F-150 had the 3.73 rear end, it would be better, but it only has the 3.31 ratio.

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 11/22/21 12:42 PM

Nice looking boat. Glad the truck pulled it out nicely.
What are your first boat projects?

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 11/22/21 09:34 PM

Nice looking boat. Glad the truck pulled it out nicely.
What are your first boat projects?

I winterized it this past weekend. The big project is going to be fixing the upholstery. The boat has an issue with the seating in that the seams are coming apart. It seems like the manufacturer used the wrong type of thread for the vinyl seating and sun exposure is causing the thread to fail. We worked the issue into the negotiations, and that is going to be my winter project . . . making new vinyl upholstery for the boat.

I recently did the upholstery for my previous boat (Formula 330 SS), so it is something in my wheelhouse.

I may take a crack at re-engineering the mooring cover as well. It seems quite tedious to attach.
Posted By: Dock Holiday

Re: Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !) - 11/22/21 10:52 PM

Ted - Congrats. Beautiful boat! Love the color scheme!
© 2021 BoatingABC.com