Rate This Thread
#576016 - 01/09/23 11:59 AM Trail Cam info  
Justification Offline
Admiral
Justification  Offline
Admiral

Fruit Heights, Utah
Anyone use a cellular trail cam?
Thinking about getting one on the property we only get to visit sporadically and would love to see what is going on there while we're gone and what kind of wildlife is transiting where we're putting the Barndo.
Too cheap to get an unlimited cell plan, but might do it to watch the progress when they start digging come spring ground thaw, and to just see how much snow is there so we can decide whether to go up when the burn season opens in March to clear slash piles or to just plan on waiting till the snows fall in October.
Can you just ping the camera to see what it's got recorded or does it transmit to a live website? Battery life, or do they have solar chargers that work when there is lots of cloud cover?
Any brands you like? Doesn't need to be high high def, but would love to see if we actually have bears or elk, rather than the deer we see every time we're there.

Beer makes you feel the way
You should feel without beer.
A Word from Our Sponsors
#576017 - 01/11/23 08:01 AM Re: Trail Cam info [Re: Justification]  
captkevin Offline
Admiral
captkevin  Offline
Admiral

Chicago, IL
Interesting in this as well for our lake property. Look into the one you see advertised on tv - forgot the name. Didn't seem to bad.

2004 Rinker 232
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Laramie 4x4
2021 Yamaha FX Svho
#576018 - 01/12/23 06:30 AM Re: Trail Cam info [Re: Justification]  
tpenfield Offline
Admiral
tpenfield  Offline
Admiral

Cape Cod, MA
FWIW, at the summer house I have a ring doorbell/camera, which actives on motion or can be view on-demand. It saves the 30 second video clips on the website/account and takes 'snapshots' every so often. I think there are also general purpose cameras, not just a doorbell style. Of course you need to have an active Internet connection, be it wired or cellular.

I also have the wifi thermostats so I can monitor heat as well as outside activity.

The 'trail cams' seem to be cheaper . . . but if you already have Internet then you could use just about any type of camera.

Last edited by tpenfield; 01/12/23 06:36 AM.

Regards, Ted

Cruisers Yachts Sport Series 338 Bowrider
[Linked Image]
My Boat Web Sites - www.tpenfield.com
#576019 - 01/12/23 01:11 PM Re: Trail Cam info [Re: tpenfield]  
Justification Offline
Admiral
Justification  Offline
Admiral

Fruit Heights, Utah
Originally Posted by tpenfield

The 'trail cams' seem to be cheaper . . . but if you already have Internet then you could use just about any type of camera.

Don't even have electricity on the property yet, and while a concrete pad has been poured for a shed, no physical contruction until spring.
I'd like to be able to see what is going on with wildlife on the property before they start digging, and then to be able to see anyone coming onto the property and any progress on the dream barn from the 600 miles away.
Cell Trail cam seems like the best plan for now. I think we've got a tree that will allow me to put the camera on one side with a good view of the building site and partially up the driveway, while putting a solar panel on the other side of the tree to keep it charged.
I know one of the neighbors has sighted bears and mountain lions on his ring camera in the past, so it would probably be cool to get one when we finish.
Doing some running around today so will probably stop by Cabela's to see what they have and to pick their brains.

Last edited by Justification; 01/12/23 01:12 PM.

Beer makes you feel the way
You should feel without beer.
#576020 - 01/13/23 05:42 AM Re: Trail Cam info [Re: Justification]  
tpenfield Offline
Admiral
tpenfield  Offline
Admiral

Cape Cod, MA
Got it . . .

Your critical factor may be the solar panel. In my recent experience setting up solar power, the net power that you may get is about 65% of the panel rating, and then you will need to factor in the amount of daylight you get. I have seen some complete kits (online) with camera and panel; not sure if those are spec'd for ideal sunlight conditions or not.

Regards, Ted

Cruisers Yachts Sport Series 338 Bowrider
[Linked Image]
My Boat Web Sites - www.tpenfield.com

Moderated by  Admin 

Sponsors
New Topics
Trail Cam info
by Justification. 01/09/23 11:59 AM
Current used boat market is crazy
by Waterdog. 08/08/20 11:15 AM
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 33 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
DClark, LawrenceCoomber, nayef, Bolton, Partikraft
5583 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23
Topics37,531
Posts567,286
Members5,583
Most Online252
Aug 5th, 2017