Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#575947 - 09/24/22 10:25 PM Shop decisions  
Silverbullet Offline
Admiral
Silverbullet  Offline
Admiral

Boise, ID
Others don't get to have all the fun. We are in the planning phase (aka beginning) of figuring out the shop situation on our property.

We currently have a 24x24 shop which isn't big enough to house the boat. It's a stick built shop, roughly finished inside with electrical and insulation. No heating or cooling. A couple windows, garage door and 2 man doors.

We looked into doing some shop stuff earlier this year, but things got busy and here we are. Trying to be in a better position for next year.

The idea is that my 15 1/2 year old son and I build the shop, with the exception of the concrete.

First decision. Build a separate shop 10' away from the current shop or just expand the current shop by building another 36' wide structure?

I'd make this addition longer, but the front would all be at the same place. It would give me a 60' wide shop though there would be a wall to separate the current shop from the new shop. I'd cut and frame a door in so I could move freely, but still limit access.

If I do a standalone shop then I can change building materials and methods if we choose.

James
2002 Cobalt 226 VP 8.1GIDP
2007 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax
1988 Suburban 3/4 Ton
2000 Subaru Forester

A Word from Our Sponsors
#575948 - 09/25/22 10:43 AM Re: Shop decisions [Re: Silverbullet]  
captkevin Offline
Admiral
captkevin  Offline
Admiral

Chicago, IL
Cool project. When we built the pole barn at the lake 30' x 48' sounded huge. 10 years later wish we would have gone bigger. Went with 10' walls & if we could do it again would go 12'. We looked into doing it ourselves & got prices for kits. Ended finding a contractor that built for about the price of the kit. No brainer.

This year we decided it would be nice to add a 10' x 48' lean to on the one side. Almost fell over when the quote came in - about the same as it cost to build the whole barn 10 years earlier. Needless to say we passed on the project. For now anyway.

Good luck. Keep us posted on your progress.

2004 Rinker 232
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Laramie 4x4
2021 Yamaha FX Svho
#575951 - 09/27/22 04:03 PM Re: Shop decisions [Re: Silverbullet]  
Justification Offline
Admiral
Justification  Offline
Admiral

Fruit Heights, Utah
I like the idea of butting the two shops together with a common wall, but how does the land you've got to work with accept that?
By going ten feet apart could you bridge the two shops with an open area covered by just a roof, to trick the admiral into an even bigger shop, or to have a picnic type area between them?
Pictures of your prospective location layout would be cool.

Kevin: what happened that effectively shrunk the pole barn? More tools and toys?

Beer makes you feel the way
You should feel without beer.
#575952 - 09/28/22 07:27 AM Re: Shop decisions [Re: Justification]  
Silverbullet Offline
Admiral
Silverbullet  Offline
Admiral

Boise, ID
Originally Posted by Justification
I like the idea of butting the two shops together with a common wall, but how does the land you've got to work with accept that?
By going ten feet apart could you bridge the two shops with an open area covered by just a roof, to trick the admiral into an even bigger shop, or to have a picnic type area between them?
Pictures of your prospective location layout would be cool.

Here's an arial of our land. It's a bit over an acre. The place actually lends itself to an open section in the middle to park something else under. My fear is that I'll eventually want to enclose that and then I'll have missed the opportunity for an unfinished 2nd floor and the future development of that. Maybe I'm being too short sited on how to move it from one step to the next. I'm not comfortable building a $100K shop considering the state of the economy. But, I also don't want to be tearing down stuff to do more later. My thought is build the shell the way it needs to be and configure the inside over time. Not efficient, but reduce the initial outlay of cash.

[Linked Image]

James
2002 Cobalt 226 VP 8.1GIDP
2007 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax
1988 Suburban 3/4 Ton
2000 Subaru Forester

Moderated by  Admin 

Sponsors
New Topics
Winterization
by On Holiday. 10/21/22 07:05 AM
Now the pandemic shutdown effect is getting real
by Justification. 08/06/22 08:53 AM
Grandpa skiing with two grandkids
by WaterWing. 08/05/22 03:32 PM
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 37 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LawrenceCoomber, nayef, Bolton, Partikraft, 7cfindustries
5582 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23
Topics37,529
Posts567,241
Members5,583
Most Online252
Aug 5th, 2017