Your On-Line Port'o'Call

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#574796 - 01/06/21 07:56 AM Re: Help me design my dream garage [Re: Justification]  
MarkHB Offline
Dressed for dinner
MarkHB  Offline
Dressed for dinner
Admiral

Norris Lake, TN
Congratulations. Sounds like it will be a busy retirement but peaceful at the same time.

24' Monterey Explorer
Honda PWC
http://www.picturetrail.com/markhb

Golf!! Waste of a good gun range.
A Word from Our Sponsors
#574797 - 01/06/21 11:10 AM Re: Help me design my dream garage [Re: Justification]  
Justification Offline
Admiral
Justification  Offline
Admiral

Fruit Heights, Utah
Peaceful is right.
When I walked part of the property last month it was so quiet my ears hurt..... which is exactly what we are looking for.

I've been playing around on GoogleEarth to get a good lay of the property and think I've found where I want to put the barn. There is a knoll (not grassy) between the street and a fairly large clearing that then slopes southward. by placing the barn on that south slope it will be mostly blocked from view from the street, and will allow a curving driveway to have trees block the view more.
I only hope we can actually pay for this dream.

Beer makes you feel the way
You should feel without beer.
#574798 - 01/06/21 07:23 PM Re: Help me design my dream garage [Re: Justification]  
MarkHB Offline
Dressed for dinner
MarkHB  Offline
Dressed for dinner
Admiral

Norris Lake, TN
Don't worry about the money. I am sure you have done your numbers.
Peacefullness, serenity, privacy are important to us. We love people but also love our privacy.
Wife said she wanted a place she could go to our dock in a micro bikini, a beer in one hand a joint in the other if she so wanted to without neighbors gawking at her. (has not happened yet)
We found that place. Our slice of heaven so to speak.

A few things that have come to mind during the first year of my retirement.
Can I keep maintaining this property I own or can I hire others to do it.
Is the property the correct property for my wife if I pass earlier than I want.
I have stairs so is there a place to install an elevator, either stair or shaft elevator as we age and cannot run up and down like we do.
From the house to the dock is 75 stairs. As I age can I still walk these. (I just pushed a road down to the dock so I can drive my UTV now)
During winter and we lose power if a tree comes down can we still cook etc. ( currently arranging quotes to install a full house generator)
How far are the doctors, dentist, supermarket and especially hospital.

24' Monterey Explorer
Honda PWC

#574835 - 01/17/21 12:04 PM Re: Help me design my dream garage [Re: Justification]  
Justification Offline
Admiral
Justification  Offline
Admiral

Fruit Heights, Utah
The kids want me to build this on the property.

I like the idea.

#574837 - 01/18/21 08:47 AM Re: Help me design my dream garage [Re: Justification]  
MarkHB Offline
Dressed for dinner
MarkHB  Offline
Dressed for dinner
Admiral

Norris Lake, TN
Sweet.
Build one of these too.
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r29R1tJRRw&feature=emb_logo[/video]

Last edited by MarkHB; 01/18/21 08:48 AM.

24' Monterey Explorer
Honda PWC

#575281 - 07/16/21 06:35 PM Re: Help me design my dream garage [Re: Justification]  
Justification Offline
Admiral
Justification  Offline
Admiral

Fruit Heights, Utah

Had a HOA meeting Wednesday so got to meet all the neighbors. Think it's gonna be really good up there.
We're slowly figuring out what we need to do to move ahead on developing the property, which right now seems like an overwhelming and overly expensive proposition, especially with the explosion in building prices but also that Kalispell has had a huge influx of outsiders buying in (yep I've quoted Jimmy Buffett more than once about Pale invaders and tan crusaders and promising the locals we don't want to change anything about the community) It'll be like eating an elephant and we have a long time to go before we need to actually build. Just laying the ground work and nibbling around the edges.
No rental cars available in town so we needed to drive the 600 miles, pulling up to the property about 9PM Tues, when it was still light. Just enjoyed the peace and quiet at the edge of the property and placed our address plaque so any trades that need to visit know where to start. Leaving for the hotel about 10PM I couldn't resist driving through the brush to where we think we're gonna place the barn. It was still light so no problem I thought, since we had driven out the path when we were last there.
The weeds and grasses have grown since then, and as the sun was setting the visibility of my terrain was not quite good enough.

[Linked Image]
Tree stump vs Exhaust system, which do you think is gonna win that contest?
Had to drive around town for 36 hours, out to meet the neighbors, for a meeting and tour of the property with the Architect and a 600 mile drive home with a very leaky exhaust system. Funny how other drivers will stay out of your way when you're a real bubba since no shops in town had time to replace the Cats.
Rockauto to the rescue soon.
However. Justy vs exhaust system? Justy 7 nuts, exhaust system 1 nut. Round one goes to the Exhaust system. one of the studs into the exhaust manifold bent in the stump contest, so the nut ended up stripping the treads as I was attempting to remove it. Haven't figured out how to remove that yet, but I think the drivers side exhaust manifold is gonna end up coming off.
Good thing I've got spare cars as I've got some trips to go on between now and when the Cats get here. It is just confirming my need to get lifts in the barn, cause rolling around on the garage floor is getting tougher as I'm getting older.

#575367 - 09/18/21 02:10 PM Re: Help me design my dream garage [Re: Justification]  
Justification Offline
Admiral
Justification  Offline
Admiral

Fruit Heights, Utah
Moving ahead with prepping the ground for the Barndo.
Excavator was working cutting in the driveway this week.
Coming off the road.
[Linked Image]
Into the clearing where the Barndo will sit.
[Linked Image]
Still working the Barndominium plans and we'll have a surveyor there in about a month to give the Architect a map so he can layout the compound.
Thinking this would be a nice spot for an RV pad so we can accept visitors. It'll be close to the Barndo so we can have a 220 outlet for electrical needs
[Linked Image]

The excavator is a mid 20s guy who is building his business and is going to be a joy to work with. Great work ethic and willing to work with our timeline for a long term relationship. Told him to feel free to work future improvements to the property in 1 to 3 day increments beyond what we've contracted to fill in his schedule as he desires to help pad his growing business.

#575368 - 09/19/21 06:40 AM Re: Help me design my dream garage [Re: Justification]  
MarkHB Offline
Dressed for dinner
MarkHB  Offline
Dressed for dinner
Admiral

Norris Lake, TN
Looks good. When do you expect to break ground on your megabarn?

24' Monterey Explorer
Honda PWC

#575377 - 09/21/21 07:02 PM Re: Help me design my dream garage [Re: Justification]  
Justification Offline
Admiral
Justification  Offline
Admiral

Fruit Heights, Utah
We're doing site prep work for now, but don't anticipate any actual structure going up until the spring of 2023.
Kalispell has had a huge influx of us pale invaders and tan crusaders and builders are going gangbusters. Being the working stiff I am, the budget will only allow a slow slog to improvements, with me doing additional prep as my schedule allows.
Taking the long view and just looking forward to the peace and quiet we get while envisioning a future compound.

#575379 - 09/22/21 03:34 PM Re: Help me design my dream garage [Re: Justification]  
Silverbullet Offline
Admiral
Silverbullet  Offline
Admiral

Boise, ID
Kalispell is in my territory. Perhaps our paths will cross.

James
2002 Cobalt 226 VP 8.1GIDP
2007 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax
1988 Suburban 3/4 Ton
2000 Subaru Forester

#575391 - 09/26/21 08:51 PM Re: Help me design my dream garage [Re: Justification]  
Jack T Offline
Admiral
Jack T  Offline
Admiral

Southern California
Our neighbors and close friends have a house they built on an old family plot (teardown) about 10 years ago. The house was in the local home tour.
They stay in Montana 6 months and 6 months in SoCal. Their property is on Cherry Point (not sure of the name) but there is a fairly large cherry plantation that raises the best cherries I have ever tasted.
Yes, it is tempting to think about a condo near their place, but it will take some consideration before we even get passed square 1.

Have a great day of boating
2012 Monterey 224 FS,
300 HP Volvo Penta with catalytic converters

#575394 - 09/27/21 09:57 AM Re: Help me design my dream garage [Re: Silverbullet]  
Justification Offline
Admiral
Justification  Offline
Admiral

Fruit Heights, Utah
Originally Posted by Silverbullet
Kalispell is in my territory. Perhaps our paths will cross.

That'd be great.
While we won't have "improved" RV spots til at least 2023, any of you long term members visiting Glacier who want an off the grid spot to overnight PM me and I'll let you know where to go and how to get there.

We've been going up for about 2.5 days a month this summer, but having to drive the 600 or so miles since rental cars weren't available at first, then became stupid high priced. now the the tourist season is over cars are available and flights are empty enough for the Space available lottery to be worthwhile playing.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Admin 

Sponsors
New Topics
Never Satisfied is gone!
by tommym. 10/20/21 07:47 PM
Shipping off Long Beach
by MarkHB. 10/07/21 12:43 PM
Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !)
by tpenfield. 07/13/21 07:01 PM
Help me design my dream garage
by Justification. 06/08/17 11:16 AM
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 44 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
dbunke, Alexudanis, deraeler, 370Dancer, mmurphy
5571 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23
Topics37,494
Posts566,720
Members5,571
Most Online252
Aug 5th, 2017