Your On-Line Port'o'Call

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#575205 - 06/02/21 05:35 PM Re: 2021 Boating Season Fix-it List . . . [Re: tpenfield]  
tpenfield Offline
Admiral
tpenfield  Offline
Admiral

Cape Cod, MA
After a couple months of fixing and prepping, today was launch day. The boat was fine as we made a short run from the launch ramp to our harbor (about 7 miles). The only problem (so far) is that the port trim sender is a bit flakey and died. Not sure if it is just a wiring/connector issue or if it's a problem with the sender (I hate those things).

If the sender is bad, then it will be that way for the season. My boat launch guy upped his rates the past few years . . . now launching (or retrieving) is $400 ouch bug_eyes

Regards, Ted

Cruisers Yachts Sport Series 338 Bowrider
[Linked Image]
My Boat Web Sites - www.tpenfield.com
A Word from Our Sponsors
#575206 - 06/03/21 08:21 AM Re: 2021 Boating Season Fix-it List . . . [Re: tpenfield]  
tpenfield Offline
Admiral
tpenfield  Offline
Admiral

Cape Cod, MA
Just trying to figure out a way to fix/repair the sender while the boat is in the water, if it comes down to that, since not knowing the position of the outdrive makes me nuts. . . .

idn I still need to check the connections at the back for the engine. But if it turns out to be the sender itself . . . Any ideas?

On the brighter side, the new depth sounder (in-hull style) seems to work well. The depth sounder on my GPS must have been jealous about the competition from the new sounder, because it started working better than before (it used to only work at slow speeds and lower depths.)

Regards, Ted

[Linked Image]
#575220 - 06/09/21 08:24 AM Re: 2021 Boating Season Fix-it List . . . [Re: tpenfield]  
Dave R Offline
Admiral
Dave R  Offline
Admiral

Hampton Beach, NH USA
Originally Posted by tpenfield
Just trying to figure out a way to fix/repair the sender while the boat is in the water, if it comes down to that, since not knowing the position of the outdrive makes me nuts. . . .

idn I still need to check the connections at the back for the engine. But if it turns out to be the sender itself . . . Any ideas?

On the brighter side, the new depth sounder (in-hull style) seems to work well. The depth sounder on my GPS must have been jealous about the competition from the new sounder, because it started working better than before (it used to only work at slow speeds and lower depths.)

Go north of the Cape Cod Canal and beach the boat on a sandbar in a spot that is dry at low tide.

"Mischief Managed II" 1992 Tollycraft 44 Cockpit Motor Yacht-Twin CAT 3208TA inboards
"Portkey" 2020 North Atlantic Inflatables 10'6" aluminum RIB-Mercury 15HP two stroke
2015 Sea Doo RXT-X
2015 Sea Doo RXT
#575221 - 06/10/21 05:09 AM Re: 2021 Boating Season Fix-it List . . . [Re: tpenfield]  
tpenfield Offline
Admiral
tpenfield  Offline
Admiral

Cape Cod, MA
Thanks, Dave.

I have thought of that. Not that I would have to go up past the canal. There is a spot right in the harbor that is quite bare at low tide. Of course, not being as flexible as I use to be, I'm thinking I'd have a hard time crouching down under the swim platform and all. funny

Probably need to fix it in about 3-4 feet of water. Just not sure what needs 'fixing' within the sender (rotor, contacts, wiring idn ) the things I could probably replace are the rotor and the contacts. If it is the wiring itself, that will have to wait for a haul-out.

Regards, Ted

[Linked Image]
#575223 - 06/11/21 06:20 AM Re: 2021 Boating Season Fix-it List . . . [Re: tpenfield]  
tpenfield Offline
Admiral
tpenfield  Offline
Admiral

Cape Cod, MA
Quick update . . .

I spent some time out on the boat finishing off a few loose ends and some cleaning. While out there, I disconnected the trim sender wires from their harness connections and put my Ohm meter across the sender leads. Weirdest thing I have seen . . . upon first contact with the leads my Ohm meter would sometimes read an appropriate value for a split-second (like 140 ohms) . . . (the range of the sender is about 10-170 Ohms). Then the reading would go to infinity (ie open circuit). I tried it a dozen or so times, very erratic . . . messed with the wires, connectors, etc, but could not gain any consistency or isolate the issue.

So, at this point I am thinking either a connectivity problem (1) within the sender (resistive rotor or contacts) or (2) within the wires/connectors.

I also put my Ohm meter across the harness wires that go to the gauge itself, and that was a consistent reading (73 Ohms) . . . So, I think the boat's wiring is good.

As a long shot, I and going to take out the excess slack in the sender wires and re-terminate them with new bullet connectors. Otherwise, it will be taking the boat into the shallows to disassemble the sender core. I 'wish' there was a wireless sender option. funny

Last edited by tpenfield; 06/11/21 06:24 AM.

Regards, Ted

[Linked Image]
#575224 - 06/12/21 01:20 PM Re: 2021 Boating Season Fix-it List . . . [Re: tpenfield]  
Lou C Offline
Admiral
Lou C  Offline
Admiral

Long Island NY
These things seem to have more or less chronic problems. Back when I could get the OMC sending units I had to replace them every 2 years or so. The they became NLA and I picked up a Sierra trim sending unit. Well wouldn't you know that I installed it in 2010 and it is still working now! I know sometimes aftermarket is not as good but in this case, much better!

88 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC
98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Six Selectrac
07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 HEMI Quadradrive II
#575225 - 06/13/21 06:26 AM Re: 2021 Boating Season Fix-it List . . . [Re: Lou C]  
tpenfield Offline
Admiral
tpenfield  Offline
Admiral

Cape Cod, MA
Originally Posted by Lou C
These things seem to have more or less chronic problems. Back when I could get the OMC sending units I had to replace them every 2 years or so. The they became NLA and I picked up a Sierra trim sending unit. Well wouldn't you know that I installed it in 2010 and it is still working now! I know sometimes aftermarket is not as good but in this case, much better!

Yes, some aftermarket parts are fine and others not so much.

I re-terminated the wires for the sender and it is the same, so it looks like I'll be trying to repair the sender core itself. I might wait a few weeks, the gulf stream has not quite kicked into gear yet in my waters . . . . still in the mid-60's˚F. Usually around the beginning of July the water temp goes up dramatically in a week's time.

Did I mention the high water alarm had crapped out? So, I replaced it . . . initially it did not work, then I realized the CB had 'popped' out. Once I reset it, all is good. thumb

It seems that while cleaning the boat, I got the fume detector wet and now that is not happy. So, I may have to replace it . . . . I'm getting $100 to death crazy

Regards, Ted

[Linked Image]
#575259 - 07/12/21 01:00 PM Re: 2021 Boating Season Fix-it List . . . [Re: tpenfield]  
WayWeGo Offline
Admiral
WayWeGo  Offline
Admiral

Oakton, VA
I've been working on our boat every free minute and have not been on here in quite awhile, so I apologize in advance for the tardy comments!

Ted, I do not like to have bilge pumps and high water alarms on a switch, too much chance of it being inadvertently turned off. Having had the power cord to our boat jostled and losing that connection, our battery ran down and I came back to the boat with water lapping at the bottom of the flooring in the v-berth (our boat was designed to float slightly bow down). Not exactly the same situation, but with similar results. A circuit breaker would be my first choice, mostly because it can be quickly reset if tripped and I need to get the pump running ASAP.

I have been painting our running gear with Rustoleum cold galvanizing spray at the last 3 haulouts. The first two times, that was all I did, but this last time at the suggestion of the painter at the marina, I topcoated it with Petit HRT Ecco bottom paint that is copper-free. I'll try to let you guys know how that works in a few years. The Rustoleum on its own worked OK, but we still had barnacles on the props that I would have to scrape off every month or two, even though the paint was still in good condition under the growth.

[Linked Image]
1975 Trojan F36 Convertible, Twin Chrysler 440's
2014 West Marine AL360 Inflatable, 1966 Mercury 6HP, 1992 Mercury 20HP
#575261 - 07/13/21 05:39 PM Re: 2021 Boating Season Fix-it List . . . [Re: tpenfield]  
tpenfield Offline
Admiral
tpenfield  Offline
Admiral

Cape Cod, MA
Good to hear from you, WayWeGo smile

The high water alarm is standard to the boat, so I figure it should be there as I am now selling the boat. I figure a surveyor might be looking for such a thing.

Of course as I complete the fix-it list, things still come up that need attention . . . Maybe it is the perfectionist coming out. idn

The outdrive do shift nicely though . . . laugh

Last edited by tpenfield; 07/13/21 05:40 PM.

Regards, Ted

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Admin 

Sponsors
New Topics
Winter WaterSkiing
by Jack T. 01/09/22 02:35 AM
How is everyone?
by 2Suns. 01/08/22 04:29 PM
Anybody else here ride a Can-Am Spyder ??
by KnotOnCall. 12/28/21 05:20 AM
Diesel Oil Shortage
by Justification. 12/23/21 08:41 PM
Sea Fox 226 Traveler
by Siuslaw57. 12/11/21 03:29 PM
Help Me Choose . . . (aka spend my money !)
by tpenfield. 07/13/21 06:01 PM
VHF Radio
by Siuslaw57. 04/10/21 07:38 PM
Skiing at 63 years old
by WaterWing. 07/24/20 09:25 PM
New Chapter
by captkevin. 12/28/12 06:09 PM
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 26 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Aldo, aussie_boater, annawoodward, ABonanca62, dbunke
5575 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23
Topics37,500
Posts566,852
Members5,576
Most Online252
Aug 5th, 2017