Your On-Line Port'o'Call

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#574481 - 11/02/20 11:57 AM Re: How much boat can one afford? [Re: Puddle Pirate 2]  
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
Daves comments are spot on, but let me give you a glimpse into the flip side of that.

A slipped boat is ready to go. Now. No hooking up the trailer, loading up the boat and the truck to go somewhere. We live 10 minutes from our marina and after that 15 minute drive we're ready to go. The engines are warming up as I unhooked dock lines and power cables then it was tie to go.

If we wanted to overnight on the boat, we didn't have to pack stuff--it was already on board. The only things we had to bring were food and drink.

I went from a 20' trailerable boat to a 330 Sundancer. We trailered the Sundancer a few times, but it is a much more involved. We went from the Sundancer to the fly bridge boat and the trailering days were done.

A hint--when you are looking at boats make certain you have ample headroom in the cabin. We had to pass on a 300 Sundancer because I couldn't stand up in it. PITA for sure.

"Beachcomber" 1995 Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge

Anchor's down......Bottoms Up!
A Word from Our Sponsors
#574493 - 11/02/20 08:36 PM Re: How much boat can one afford? [Re: Puddle Pirate 2]  
WayWeGo Offline
Admiral
WayWeGo  Offline
Admiral

Oakton, VA
We pay cash for cars and boats, but if we get a very low interest rate, we will take the loan and invest the money at a higher rate. With the interest rates as low as they are now, I might be more tempted to incur some debt other than a mortgage. I have never paid more than $20K on a boat.

PP2, you seem to be quite knowledgeable and capable of taking on an older boat. There are lots of nice flybridge boats available on the Chesapeake for about a down payment on the boats you are looking at. Many of them are dogs, but when an owner who has taken great care of one goes to sell, they never get anywhere near what the boat is really worth. For instance, I see lots of nice Trojan F-32s go for less that $20K. Many of them have bilges you could eat off and no major work needing to be done. With everyone wanting new outboard boats, some of these are a real steal and if you never got any money back on it, you would still be spending a lot less than you would on a newer boat.

[Linked Image]
1975 Trojan F36 Convertible, Twin Chrysler 440's
2014 West Marine AL360 Inflatable, 1966 Mercury 6HP, 1992 Mercury 20HP
#574495 - 11/02/20 09:33 PM Re: How much boat can one afford? [Re: Puddle Pirate 2]  
Puddle Pirate 2 Offline
LTJG USCGR
Puddle Pirate 2  Offline
LTJG USCGR
Admiral

Virginia Beach, VA
Guys...these are all great comments. I can always count on this group for great guidance. Here's my take on DaveR, GFC and WayWeGo...

I have no intention of trailering, although I totally see the value in that and loved to take my Maxum 1900 all over the place. I don't have the tow vehicle to tow a 260, and I don't want to honestly. We have been visiting this area for over a decade and finally moved here. It is a Mecca for boaters, and while there are other places I can see myself boating...this is my zen right now. So the purpose of the 260 is that it is nimble and small enough to get into shallow coves, handle the bay (on a decent day) and even tubing. But, I admittedly would prefer a 280 or larger because of the beam issue and the fact 260's have areputation for being a bit rolly polly becaue of the 8 ft beam. I like the idea of a hi & dri...no stress over it sinking, much less wear & tear and a call ahead and it's in teh water, waiting.

On the pro-flybrindge/pro slip front...I love the idea of it "being there" and we are no more than 20 minutes from any marina in the area...either on the Elizabeth River, Chesapeake inlets or Rudee inlet on teh Atlantic. I like the idea of overnighting on something large enough that we could just sit in the dock and enjoy the local tiki bar and pool if that's all we want to do and not have to head out if we don't want to. I can't see us leaving our house to overnight 8 miles away on a pocket cruiser just for fun. i CAN see us doing that in a fully laid out salon.

WWG...I agree totally...lots of nice flybridges all over the bay, and for cheap. I will admit, I do like the lines of something more modern looking than a Trojan, but they are great boats, I agree. We looked at a Silverton 340 a few years back and loved it. And yes, I could probably afford one with cash, or enough down that the payment wouldn't even be noticeable. And I do like SOME tinkering and maintenance...I'm a techie and handyman and have done it all either on my boats or my family's.

So yes...we have some big decisions ahead. I doubt we will do anything right this second...we just moved here 3 months ago, renting while we build, and I want to see where the dust settles on that first. Plus, the used boat market kinda sucks right now...sky high with no selection. But this gives me food for thought.

THank you all!

Mark

pirate
#574500 - 11/03/20 08:17 AM Re: How much boat can one afford? [Re: Puddle Pirate 2]  
Dave R Offline
Admiral
Dave R  Offline
Admiral

Raymond NH
Originally Posted by Puddle Pirate 2

I have no intention of trailering SNIP So the purpose of the 260 is that it is nimble and small enough to get into shallow coves

Well then, I recommend that you get a flybridge cruiser big enough to carry a tender that is capable of planing out with two adults aboard. With these two boats you can enjoy the best of the big boat for comfort and the best of the little boat for exploring/gunkholing. This is what we do and it's really fun.

Last edited by Dave R; 11/03/20 08:21 AM.

"Mischief Managed II"
1992 Tollycraft 44 Cockpit Motor Yacht
Twin CAT 3208TA inboards
#574501 - 11/03/20 10:07 AM Re: How much boat can one afford? [Re: Dave R]  
Puddle Pirate 2 Offline
LTJG USCGR
Puddle Pirate 2  Offline
LTJG USCGR
Admiral

Virginia Beach, VA
Originally Posted by Dave R
Originally Posted by Puddle Pirate 2

I have no intention of trailering SNIP So the purpose of the 260 is that it is nimble and small enough to get into shallow coves

Well then, I recommend that you get a flybridge cruiser big enough to carry a tender that is capable of planing out with two adults aboard. With these two boats you can enjoy the best of the big boat for comfort and the best of the little boat for exploring/gunkholing. This is what we do and it's really fun.

That's what we did with my FIL's boat, and it was fun. I hadn't really thought of that. I guess my thinking was less is more, but you make a good argument.

pirate
#574502 - 11/03/20 11:41 AM Re: How much boat can one afford? [Re: Puddle Pirate 2]  
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
PP, after you have spent years on your current boat being "down in the cave" you will really enjoy being up on a fly bridge. It opens up a whole new boating experience as you found with your FIL's boat.

"Beachcomber" 1995 Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge

Anchor's down......Bottoms Up!
#574504 - 11/03/20 11:50 AM Re: How much boat can one afford? [Re: Puddle Pirate 2]  
captkevin Offline
Admiral
captkevin  Offline
Admiral

Chicago, IL
26' sounds big but if you are really planning on spending time on it might seem pretty small in a hurry. If you are not going to trailer anyways might make more sense to go bigger. Save you from having to upgrade in a couple years & taking a loss on original purchase. Good friend of mine says you can usually get better deals on bigger too. Lots of people are interested in 26' but move up to 32' & the number of interested parties with available funds drops off. Leaves you room to utilize some of GFC's negotiating tips & score a deal.

On my friends last boat he was looking for a 25-26' open bow. He is a shopper & deal finder & couldn't find what he wanted. Moved search up to 28' & found a smoking deal on a 282 Cobalt open boat. Lots of people were scared off due to the size & he used it to his advantage. He just sold that in less than 24 hours this summer & bought a Cobalt 360.

2004 Rinker 232
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Laramie 4x4
#574508 - 11/03/20 09:38 PM Re: How much boat can one afford? [Re: Puddle Pirate 2]  
Frantically Relaxing Offline
Admiral
Frantically Relaxing  Offline
Admiral

Nothin' like havin' 2 (or more!) boats available for day trippin' laugh

We used to keep the 175 Babyliner out back of the SkipperLiner via mooring whips. We just towed her out there like that--

[Linked Image]
=================

After 4 years the grandkids- and their parents- kept getting bigger, so then did the tag-along boat get bigger; enter the Chap 262ssi wink

[Linked Image]
==================

We just tied it off to the side, had no problem towing it out like that either. Lots of fun times--
heading back to home base for some BBQ smile

[Linked Image]

Been too long....

#574509 - 11/04/20 08:11 AM Re: How much boat can one afford? [Re: Puddle Pirate 2]  
Dave R Offline
Admiral
Dave R  Offline
Admiral

Raymond NH
If you do go for a flybridge boat/fast dinghy combo, make sure that using the dinghy is convenient or you won't feel like going through the hassle of using it, unless it's necessary. Our boat cam pre-rigged for a 10 foot air bottom inflatable on Weaver "davits" (really just hinge clips) that required removing the engine and gas tank every time we stored the boat on the davits. Obviously that meant installing the engine and gas tank every time we used the dinghy as well. It was certainly within my capabilities to mount a 77 pound 9.9HP (pretty much the minimum HP you need to plane out with two adults) two stroke on a 10' floating boat, but it was never fun and generally felt risky in the best of conditions. It also took about 10 minutes to launch and rig and about the same amount of time to un-rig and store, and the work was pretty strenuous.

Earlier this year, we upgraded to a 10'8" aluminum RIB with a Euro-Helm and comfy seat. I modified the old 9.9 HP tiller steer/throttle/shift, manual-tilt, pull-start engine to make it a 15HP, remote steer/throttle/shift, power tilt and trim, electric-start engine; and I rigged the new RIB with the old but upgraded engine. I also added some "real" davits to my transom and a set of Hurley "davit" (essentially a tilting boat cradle) to my swim platform. I can launch the new dinghy in about a minute now and it's ready to go. Storing it probably takes 3 minutes, but is not strenuous at all.

We never hesitate to use the dinghy now and had a blast bombing around in it all Summer. We also helped inspire a bunch of other boaters at our marina to get dinghys this year and some of the group cruises we did around our harbor and up and down the numerous creeks that surround the harbor, were definitely some of the highlights of the season. These were only 5 to 10 mile trips, but in a small, "fast" boat on narrow, desolate creeks, they felt like big adventures. We often got into some "navigable" spots that were too narrow to turn around in. There was also a bit of a competition to find some "new" daring place to go to by dinghy and many (cheap) props were scuffed up in the process.

This should give you an idea of the seemingly countless creeks and tributaries around our harbor: Hampton Harbor map We typically have a 9 foot tide range, so some of these creeks are dry at low tide and some of the bridges have inadequate clearance to pass under at high tide. The current from the tide swings can be quite strong too, so every trip is different. I imagine that Chesapeake Bay is loaded with places like this too, but with less tide range.

Regardless of what you do, I hope you have a blast. I just had the best Summer of my life at age 54 and I'm so glad I didn't wait any longer to make the move to a "big" boat.

"Mischief Managed II"
Twin CAT 3208TA inboards
#574511 - 11/04/20 04:05 PM Re: How much boat can one afford? [Re: Puddle Pirate 2]  
captkevin Offline
Admiral
captkevin  Offline
Admiral

Chicago, IL
Dave will you be able to put your jetski on it in place of the dinghy?

2004 Rinker 232
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Laramie 4x4
#574516 - 11/05/20 03:00 PM Re: How much boat can one afford? [Re: captkevin]  
Dave R Offline
Admiral
Dave R  Offline
Admiral

Raymond NH
Originally Posted by captkevin
Dave will you be able to put your jetski on it in place of the dinghy?

I wish, but no, they weigh way too much to safely hang from the transom and regarless, they don't have lift points for the davits. The plan is to keep them on floating, drive-on docks at the marina most of the time, and trailer them to lakes now and then. We have enough friends with lake homes that we can do overnight trips with the PWCs.

"Mischief Managed II"
Twin CAT 3208TA inboards
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Admin 

Sponsors
New Topics
VHF Radio
by Siuslaw57. 04/10/21 08:38 PM
Towing 30ft boats with a Lexus
by MarkHB. 04/10/21 03:18 PM
Boat Raft-up Product
by athiker. 04/08/21 12:08 PM
Ohhhhhhhhh boy (aka: fml) HELP Sheared off the drain plug f
by Jennifromthadock. 04/04/21 03:31 PM
Monterey vs Chaparral
by Siuslaw57. 04/03/21 01:42 PM
Scratching my head... Volvo Penta 4.3 sx Won’t crank
by Jennifromthadock. 04/03/21 08:23 AM
April 2 is a good day.
by Jack T. 04/03/21 02:03 AM
Something interesting to read this weekend--
by Frantically Relaxing. 04/02/21 08:26 PM
Rip Rap along shoreline
by MarkHB. 04/01/21 07:07 PM
You're gonna lose a TON of money when you sell it
by GoFirstClass. 03/31/21 07:57 PM
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 38 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AdamZampa, Tunachick, Siuslaw57, Jennifromthadock, Carolyn
5552 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23
Topics37,461
Posts566,352
Members5,552
Most Online252
Aug 5th, 2017