Progress has definitely been slow but we figured that from the start. We have also taken the time to do everything the right way the first time. Example being the floors. Upon removal of carpeting we discovered subfloor was particle board & we removed 1900' sq feet & replaced. For flooring we put in 3/4" prefinished solid oak - took time but results are beautiful. Could have cut corners & done it much faster but didn't want to have any regrets when its done. Lake house being 3 hours makes more frequent trips tough & typically we are limited to working on the weekends. When the weather is good we switch from work mode to boating mode & use house at its status. That leaves us the fall & spring to work. We always have intentions of making a few trips in the winter but holidays & snowmobile trips take priority. House now is probably 90% complete & fully usable.
Wow hard to believe that i have not posted anything in so long. We are still at it & making some good progress wrapping some projects. As of yesterday the barn now has electric, beer fridge, lights, stereo, nice big fan & it is hard believe how we ever did without. My son has been coming down alot this summer helping out & it is amazing how much help 1 more person makes getting projects done. He has been instrumental on some much needed hvac work & it has made the house way more comfy. If things can stay on track it feels like we might really get things much closer to where we would like to have them. We have been doing some major yard clean up. Some of it was not optional as we lost a couple of big trees in the back of the property that had to be cut up & that kind of lead to more clean up. Amazing the difference it is making. My son seems to really enjoy this work & we would not have taken on nearly as much without his help. There is a pond on the property but it has been not viewable due to all the over growth but one of our goals for this year is to change that.
Here is one of the trees that we lost. Would have to guess it was 25' tall. It made for one heck of a bonfire. Don't think we will ever run out of stuff to burn. Currently our fire pit is 12' in diameter & most time stuff is hanging way out of it. It has been getting a major work out this year.
Have made 2 more trips down & boat still has not made it into the water. It was out of the barn yesterday for oil & gear lube change. Looking good for the next trip. We have wrapped up some more projects around the house. Electric in barn is 100%. Only thing left to do is add some kind of lighting for party mode - 16 florescent bulbs are a little bright for that.
Looks alot bigger without the tree laying there. We have spent alot of time this summer clearing brush & just general trimming & clean up that was much over due. Going to resume clearing once the weather cools down. Right now we have been enjoying some much needed boat time. Has been a great summer & it has been nice enjoying the fruits of all are labor. Last Friday wife & got down around 10 pm. Unloaded truck, opened window in house & went sat outside the barn, turned on the stereo, had a few adult beverages & just watched the stars. We don't get that in the suburbs of Chicago.
Thanks GFC. We have been hitting it pretty hard this summer & it is amazing the transformation. Taking this weekend off - daughter bday. Back at it next weekend for Labor day - hard to believe. Probably won't get much done but once the weather cools down the plan is to hit it hard again.
Made it down for an amazing 4 days at the lake. Awesome labor day. Even got some work done. Had so much fun didn't even take any pictures. So nice to be able to get away from everything for a few days. Heading back down on Friday. Will try to get some pics if we don't have too much fun again. No promises.
Found the wife had taken a few pics. On sunday it started out pretty rainy & overcast. Finally cleared out about 2 but was very windy. Decided it would be a good day for the waverunner. Not sure how it looks calm in the picture as it was very rough. Picture is me & daughter going for a ride.
Since the weather wasn't cooperating for boating this weekend we decided to finally start the last piece of exterior work we had to complete. The 2nd floor on the back of the house still had the vertical cedar siding. We tore all of that off. Then had to tear off the black fiber board they used for sheathing off & replaced it with new osb. Should have new siding up shortly. Although this upcoming weekend is calling for low 80's so we will probably take advantage of what could be last boating weekend.