Your On-Line Port'o'Call

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#574304 - 09/23/20 03:18 PM Living aboard and marina/beach town life...  
Dave R Offline
Admiral
Dave R  Offline
Admiral

Raymond NH
Selling the house and moving aboard a boat has been a blast. We have been on the boat full time since July 29 and will remain aboard it until late October. NO REGRETS at all, it's just so awesome here.

We were planning to buy a beach condo near the marina to live in during the cold months, but the real estate market is super crazy around here right now and we have decided to rent for the Winter and see if the prices drop back to normal in a year. We sold our house for way over asking price and just can't stomach buying one that way when Winter rentals are a dime a dozen in this resort town. If and when we do buy a beach condo, we will rent it out weekly during the warm months and we hear it will pay for itself pretty easily, but that's not a necessity.

For someone like me that loves boats of all kinds, this place is heaven. I can't even count how many different water craft I have had the pleasure of operating since renting a slip at our marina last year. I have become one of the go-to guys for tools and repairs here and I'm also the boat electrical guru at the marina (and the only guy with an oscilloscope on board).

We have the best marina neighbors and really enjoy the impromptu dock gatherings most nice evenings. None of our neighbors and friends are drunks so the gatherings are mellow and pleasant.

I own no fishing gear but I can go fishing any time I want, and not just small game, 800 lb blue fin tuna fishing trips on really nice battle wagons are just a text message away. The fishing here is really good, we have huge schools of striped bass around the boat at the marina every night. We can also scoop oysters up right from the dock at low tide and I'm actually getting sick of eating lobster all the time. We see all kinds of cool wildlife on every boat outing, including dolphins, seals, sharks, whales and ocean sunfish.

In one day, we can cruise from our slip to mid-coast Maine, which is considered to be one of the top 10 cruising places in the world; or cruise down to Cape Cod, which, while not that great to cruise, is a great place to anchor and explore on shore. We can also get to Buzzards Bay in a day and that cruising area includes Martha;s Vineyard and Nantucket. In three cruising days we can be in NYC or Canada.It's just great here and we have put almost 400 hours on the boat in just two seasons.

If you are considering the move to living aboard, I can highly recommend it.

"Mischief Managed II"
1992 Tollycraft 44 Cockpit Motor Yacht
Twin CAT 3208TA inboards
#574307 - 09/23/20 07:35 PM Re: Living aboard and marina/beach town life... [Re: Dave R]  
captkevin Offline
Admiral
captkevin  Offline
Admiral

Chicago, IL
Sounds like you have a great set up. Why about a condo somewhere in warmer weather? Could do some winter boating.

2004 Rinker 232
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Laramie 4x4
#574310 - 09/24/20 07:57 AM Re: Living aboard and marina/beach town life... [Re: captkevin]  
Dave R Offline
Admiral
Dave R  Offline
Admiral

Raymond NH
Originally Posted by captkevin
Sounds like you have a great set up. Why about a condo somewhere in warmer weather? Could do some winter boating.

Due to an illness in the family, we have to stick around New Hampshire to take care of a loved one. Otherwise, we'd be taking the boat south every year and living aboard full time, which was our plan when we bought the boat last year. The illness was sudden and permanent and has altered our plans substantially, but such is life. We are rolling with it.

"Mischief Managed II"
Twin CAT 3208TA inboards
#574311 - 09/24/20 08:05 AM Re: Living aboard and marina/beach town life... [Re: Dave R]  
captkevin Offline
Admiral
captkevin  Offline
Admiral

Chicago, IL
Sorry to hear about the ill family member. Can definitely relate to that.

2004 Rinker 232
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Laramie 4x4
#574325 - 09/27/20 12:18 PM Re: Living aboard and marina/beach town life... [Re: Dave R]  
kenhdog Offline
Admiral
kenhdog  Offline
Admiral

Oxnard, CA
Thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

2002 Rinker 212 Captiva
Merc 5.7 EFI Alpha
Trail-Rite Trailer
1999 GMC 'Burb
#574330 - 09/28/20 11:12 AM Re: Living aboard and marina/beach town life... [Re: Dave R]  
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
Originally Posted by Dave R
Originally Posted by captkevin

Due to an illness in the family, we have to stick around New Hampshire to take care of a loved one. Otherwise, we'd be taking the boat south every year and living aboard full time, which was our plan when we bought the boat last year. The illness was sudden and permanent and has altered our plans substantially, but such is life. We are rolling with it.

I can relate to your comments, both about having to stick around to provide care for someone and also the sudden and permanent onset of the illness.

My MIL is 104 (105 in December) and is in a long term care facility. We can see that she's going downhill mentally but still in good shape physically. We didn't go south at all last winter; we chose to stay here and help take care of her. This winter we have to go down to AZ to pick up our Whaler and bring it up here. But that will be a relatively short trip.

It sounds like you're the "go to man" in the marina and that's a great way to meet people and make new friends. You've fallen into what sounds like a perfect situation so enjoy it!

"Beachcomber" 1995 Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge

Anchor's down......Bottoms Up!
#574350 - 09/30/20 08:28 AM Re: Living aboard and marina/beach town life... [Re: Dave R]  
tpenfield Offline
Admiral
tpenfield  Offline
Admiral

Cape Cod, MA
Dave -

You sold your house ? idn ( I did not know that )

I have enjoyed your photo postings on social media. I might have to try that someday . . . someday. Sorry to hear about the family illness (BTDT).

What are your longer range plans for over the winter? Go down south? I have a college buddy that owned a 53 footer as a live-aboard and he did the southern route in the winter and came up to New England in the summer, stopping at various ports along the way.

Give me a heads up when you plan to be in Buzzards Bay (next year ?) thumb

Last edited by tpenfield; 09/30/20 08:29 AM.

Regards, Ted

Formula 330SS

My Boat Web Sites
#574357 - 09/30/20 08:58 PM Re: Living aboard and marina/beach town life... [Re: tpenfield]  
Dave R Offline
Admiral
Dave R  Offline
Admiral

Raymond NH
Originally Posted by tpenfield
Dave -

You sold your house ? idn ( I did not know that )

I have enjoyed your photo postings on social media. I might have to try that someday . . . someday. Sorry to hear about the family illness (BTDT).

What are your longer range plans for over the winter? Go down south? I have a college buddy that owned a 53 footer as a live-aboard and he did the southern route in the winter and came up to New England in the summer, stopping at various ports along the way.

Give me a heads up when you plan to be in Buzzards Bay (next year ?) thumb

We did indeed sell the house. Feels amazing to not have that responsibility. We do eventually plan to cruise south for the Winter and north for the Summer. We are in the panning stages of a trip to Martha's Vineyard/Nantucket/Block Island/Buzzards Bay/Narragansett Bay next Summer. I will ping you for sure.

"Mischief Managed II"
Twin CAT 3208TA inboards
#574359 - 09/30/20 11:16 PM Re: Living aboard and marina/beach town life... [Re: Dave R]  
athiker Offline
Admiral
athiker  Offline
Admiral

Lake Norman, NC
Glad the life decision is working out so well, thanks for the update. It's amazing how having good neighbors makes life so much more enjoyable! Of course it helps to cultivate good neighbors by helping them out with your skills. thumb

2000 Cobalt 206 5.7L EFI Alpha 1

Moderated by  Admin 

Sponsors
New Topics
Cranking the boat
by gdhodnett. 10/23/20 10:37 PM
Pulled the Boat
by On Holiday. 10/22/20 11:32 AM
After 19 years, time to throw money at it
by WaterWing. 10/03/20 05:17 PM
Tahoe q4 sf back seat removal for engine access
by samuelpeterman. 09/29/20 10:38 AM
Carbon Monoxide Warning
by athiker. 09/28/20 01:23 PM
Living aboard and marina/beach town life...
by Dave R. 09/23/20 03:18 PM
A first day of fall question for all of you...
by GoFirstClass. 09/22/20 08:12 PM
Worst boating season ever
by Justification. 09/22/20 03:49 PM
Are you a fan of Facebook, Instagram, etc.?
by GoFirstClass. 09/20/20 01:17 PM
I went to the Dark Side
by MarkHB. 09/17/20 09:51 AM
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 64 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
samuelpeterman, Andy298ss, Alan_Ziffer, MyAxe, rgodfrey914
5533 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23
Topics37,407
Posts565,691
Members5,534
Most Online252
Aug 5th, 2017