Your On-Line Port'o'Call

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#574189 - 08/25/20 11:17 AM Re: Want to go for a boat ride? [Re: GoFirstClass]  
athiker Offline
Admiral
athiker  Offline
Admiral

Lake Norman, NC
Really enjoyed coming along on the adventure, thanks for posting! Our family of 5 took our first motorhome trip this summer in a rental and we all had a good time. If I wasn't towing a secondary vehicle I would probably go for a fifth wheel over a large standard motor home though. If the motorhome was smaller it probably would make less of a difference. We rented a large one from CruiseAmerica and while it had plenty of power it was on the loud side going down the road...and then once you got set up you really didn't want to move it to run to a trail head or in to town. I assume some of the nicer brands are quieter on the road though.

My business partner bought a small Airstream BaseCamp to tow behind his pick-up and now I can't keep him in town! Its perfect for 2 people, but absolutely no more. Very easy to tow, basically half kitchen and half dining table/bed with bathroom/shower in the middle.

You probably already know but there are TONS of YouTube videos about living the RV life. I watched quite a few before our trip and some were actually really helpful for knowing what to expect, what to bring, how to operate things and safety issues...kind of like boating...there is a lot to learn initially for novices that you don't know you don't know till you dive in a bit.

Best of luck on your new adventures. thumb

2000 Cobalt 206 5.7L EFI Alpha 1
A Word from Our Sponsors
#574190 - 08/25/20 04:15 PM Re: Want to go for a boat ride? [Re: GoFirstClass]  
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
These photos are from the part of the trip between Tom's dock and Ilwaco.

I hate these rough waters....
[Linked Image]
another little fishing boat. Actuially it's a car carrier arriving from Japan.
[Linked Image]
Happy Crew, Happy Cruise
[Linked Image]
Passing under the 4 mile long Astoria bridge.
[Linked Image]
Beachcomber tucked in for the night and the crew is getting ready for an early morning bar crossing.
[Linked Image]

This was an interesting evening for all of us. Each of us went through every drawer, cabinet, locker and opening where anything could be stored. We were looking for things that needed to (a) be secured for the bar crossing and (b) pack it if we would be taking it home with us.

Tom tried his darndest to convert me into a Scotch drinker and, honestly, I didn't try real hard to resist. Then, when the bottle of Scotch was empty (no, it wasn't full when we started) he tried real hard to convert me into a bourbon drinker.

T'was a nice evening and a nice way to wind down the cruise. Two more nights on the boat and we would be headed home. <SNIFF, SNIFF>

Last edited by GoFirstClass; 08/25/20 04:47 PM.

"Beachcomber" 1995 Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge

Anchor's down......Bottoms Up!
#574191 - 08/25/20 04:48 PM Re: Want to go for a boat ride? [Re: GoFirstClass]  
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
These are pics from our bar crossing (nothing spectacular there), our trip up the coast and down the Strait of Juan de Fuca. No "landing" photos from Port Angeles because it was too darn dark. That boat at 10 o'clock to our position is a USACE boat.

pfd's for all
[Linked Image]

A bit of spray but we encountered worse the first day out.
[Linked Image]

Watching our progress as we cross the bar and cruise on out a few miles to get away from the influence of the Columbia.

Checking the GPS as we pass Gray's Harbor entrance
[Linked Image]

Now you see why we designated Jim as the "ship's photographer". Nice shot Jim
[Linked Image]

The harbor at Port Angeles is undoubtedly the most difficult harbor I've ever entered at night. (Google it to see why) You have to go around a loooong spit that sticks out about a mile or so and curves to the NE. After you're safely around that you have to go almost all the way to the SW corner of that bay to find the marina. Then you have to enter between two poorly lighted markers and the entry has to be from the west.

Then, to make matters just that much more fun there is a HUGE sailboat that we had to duck around the bowsprit of in order to get to the fuel dock.

QUICK, someone hand the captain a cold beer.

#574192 - 08/25/20 05:27 PM Re: Want to go for a boat ride? [Re: GoFirstClass]  
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
These pics are from our last cruising day aboard Beachcomber. I was feeling pretty morose and I'm just glad the rest of the crew put up with my definite lack of enthusiasm.

Here's our starting point at the fuel dock in Port Angeles.
[Linked Image]

Here's the little tiny sailboat we had to maneuver around the bowsprit of to get to the fuel dock.
[Linked Image]

Here's the railroad bridge at the entrance from Admiralty Inlet to the Ballard locks.
[Linked Image]

Safely inside the small lock and tucked up pretty tight to the Ranger Tug next to us. I think we made the tug owner more than a bit nervous.
[Linked Image]

Tight against the wall and ready to be lifted.
[Linked Image]

Now take a close look at these next two pics. In the first one, note the boat in front of Beachcomber, then note how close we are on the stbd side to the blue metal building. To get in there we had to back around the boat in front of us. This was just like parallel parking a car except you're on the water. After swinging the stern to the port side to get into the right position I had to back up so the bow would clear the boat in front of us and do that without hitting the building.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

QUICK, get the captain a cold beer.

We spent much of the afternoon and evening unloading what seemed like a never-ending line of boxes and plastic bags from the boat to the dock. We also had Jim's dive gear and electronics and Tom's electronics. Jim did a great job the next morning of packing it all into the Suburban.

There has to be one final photo and this is it. A shot of Lake Union taken from I-5 as we head south. Check out all the boats lining both sides of the lake.
[Linked Image]

I can't say enough good about the jobs Tom and Jim did as members of the crew. This trip would not have been possible with just one other person, and Tina was not about to go out on the ocean. They stepped up and I appreciate all they did.

The trip was darn near perfect. The weather cooperated, the waters were pretty smooth in most parts and the boat ran without a flaw. Oh, and a good time was had by all.

<SNIFF><SNIFF>

Last edited by GoFirstClass; 08/25/20 05:29 PM.

#574193 - 08/25/20 09:28 PM Re: Want to go for a boat ride? [Re: GoFirstClass]  
Jack T Offline
Admiral
Jack T  Offline
Admiral

Southern California
How do you put up a clapping hands emoji

Have a great day of boating
2012 Monterey 224 FS,
300 HP Volvo Penta with catalytic converters

#574194 - 08/26/20 08:18 AM Re: Want to go for a boat ride? [Re: GoFirstClass]  
captkevin Offline
Admiral
captkevin  Offline
Admiral

Chicago, IL
Amazing pictures as usual. Hard to believe they allowed that sail boat to be docked like that. Doesn't seem like a good plan.

2004 Rinker 232
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Laramie 4x4
#574197 - 08/26/20 04:44 PM Re: Want to go for a boat ride? [Re: GoFirstClass]  
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
Kevin, I think it's a matter of "money talks". That blue sailboat looked a LOT bigger in the dark than it does in that pic.

#574227 - 09/04/20 10:47 PM Re: Want to go for a boat ride? [Re: GoFirstClass]  
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
Here's a shot of the miles we'd traveled to get to Tom's dock where we spent one night. This was the next morning as we were heading back out to the Columbia River. That mileage reading at trip's end was 556nm, or about 640 miles. Wowzers!
[Linked Image]

These darn small fishing boats kept gettting in the way...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

An old, abandoned cannery along the river....
[Linked Image]

A shot of Astoria, OR where we pulled in to top off the fuel. I don't know if anybody has mentioned this, but while we were tied up at the fuel dock a young guy in about a 24' aluminum fishing boat loaded with people who had chartered with him came in too hot and was about to ram the back of the swim platform. A guy in the front of his boat jumped off onto the swim platform and put his body between the aluminum boat and my swim platform and in doing so saved a lot of damage. All we ended up with was a small chip in the gelcoat. I was pi$$ed off enough to have ripped the boat driver a new one but decided to let it go and just chewed on him for a minute or two.
[Linked Image]

Beachcomber's first view of the Pacific. We're still in the Columbia on our way to the marina at Ilwaco.
[Linked Image]

Here's Tom at the helm as we were making our way up the coast. Once we got away from the effects of the Columbia (which took us about 20 miles IIRC) we were left with gentle rolling swells about 4' high with almost no wind chop on top. Nice cruising waters in anyone's book.
[Linked Image]

Our happy crew. Me, Tom and Jim. Without these guys along to pitch in I could not have made this trip.
[Linked Image]

Tom's Scotch glass at the end of the day after we got into Seattle.
[Linked Image]

Your happy/sad captain. Happy because we made it in one piece, sad because that would be my last night aboard Beachcomber.
[Linked Image]

I've said many times since this trip that if a guy has to give up a boat he REALLY likes, you couldn't find a better, or more fitting end than to do it on a long and pleasant journey like ours was.

#574231 - 09/07/20 09:57 PM Re: Want to go for a boat ride? [Re: GoFirstClass]  
captkevin Offline
Admiral
captkevin  Offline
Admiral

Chicago, IL
Couldn't imagine a better final chapter to your time with Beachcomber

2004 Rinker 232
#574240 - 09/08/20 03:35 PM Re: Want to go for a boat ride? [Re: GoFirstClass]  
WayWeGo Offline
Admiral
WayWeGo  Offline
Admiral

Oakton, VA
Obviously you are sad to see Beachcomber go, but what a final trip!

[Linked Image]
1975 Trojan F36 Convertible, Twin Chrysler 440's
2014 West Marine AL360 Inflatable, 1966 Mercury 6HP, 1992 Mercury 20HP
#574242 - 09/08/20 04:06 PM Re: Want to go for a boat ride? [Re: GoFirstClass]  
captkevin Offline
Admiral
captkevin  Offline
Admiral

Chicago, IL
Any updates on the sale?

2004 Rinker 232
#574246 - 09/10/20 12:55 PM Re: Want to go for a boat ride? [Re: GoFirstClass]  
On Holiday Offline
Daddy
On Holiday  Offline
Daddy
Admiral

PA and Smith Mountain Lake
You should have enjoyed a nice glass of red wine on your last boat ride.

2017 Honda Accord Hybrid
2008 Honda Goldwing Trike
2006 Regal 2400
2004 Dodge Ram 2500
2003 Ford F-150
2002 Harley Davidson Roadking Classic

#574247 - 09/10/20 12:58 PM Re: Want to go for a boat ride? [Re: GoFirstClass]  
captkevin Offline
Admiral
captkevin  Offline
Admiral

Chicago, IL
And some Cheetos

2004 Rinker 232
#574249 - 09/10/20 02:07 PM Re: Want to go for a boat ride? [Re: GoFirstClass]  
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
"Couldn't imagine a better final chapter to your time with Beachcomber"

"Obviously you are sad to see Beachcomber go, but what a final trip!"

"Any updates on the sale?"

"You should have enjoyed a nice glass of red wine on your last boat ride."

"And some Cheetos"

You guys are soooo nasty! As to the final trip, yes, that had to be the best way ever to do a last trip. No updates yet on a sale. We had to get Tina's signature on all the paperwork before they could even put the boat up on their listing page because the boat is in both names. He sent over the paperwork, she signed it and we sent it back about a week ago. The broker did say they have shown the boat several times but so far no bites.

Red wine? Cheetos? Over my dead body!

#574250 - 09/10/20 03:58 PM Re: Want to go for a boat ride? [Re: GoFirstClass]  
Justification Offline
Admiral
Justification  Offline
Admiral

Fruit Heights, Utah
Originally Posted by GoFirstClass

As to the final trip, yes, that had to be the best way ever to do a last trip.

I dunno, maybe having the Swedish Bikini team along as galley help would have been pretty okay.

Did you at least throw a ceremonial steak overboard?

Beer makes you feel the way
You should feel without beer.
#574252 - 09/11/20 11:41 AM Re: Want to go for a boat ride? [Re: Justification]  
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
Originally Posted by Justification

I dunno, maybe having the Swedish Bikini team along as galley help would have been pretty okay.

Did you at least throw a ceremonial steak overboard?

Justi, your first comment brought back a memory of a trip upriver from many years ago. I was on a friend's boat that he'd just bought and we were bringing it home from Portland. As we passed through Bonneville lock there were 3 kindergarten classes on a tour of the lock and they were standing at the top of the lock watching as our boat was raised. A very attractive teacher and I were talking as she was asking questions about going through the lock, etc

She asked if we would take passengers for the remaining 2.5 days of our trip. I quickly answered that we would but she might have to do the cooking. She looked wistfully at the boat, then at her class, then back at me and commented if she didn't have to take the class back to school she'd join us in a heartbeat.

Having her on board would have made for a very adventurous trip!

No, I didn't toss a ceremonial steak overboard, though I wish I had. I had brought along two 3-packs of NY Strips (at a cost of about $30/pack) that I was going to serve the crew. Those steaks were so damn tough you couldn't cut the things with a chainsaw. So we ate them that night but the second pack came home with me. Tina cooked them last night and they didn't improve one bit.

#574264 - 09/16/20 12:32 PM Re: Want to go for a boat ride? [Re: GoFirstClass]  
On Holiday Offline
Daddy
On Holiday  Offline
Daddy
Admiral

PA and Smith Mountain Lake
Originally Posted by GoFirstClass
"Couldn't imagine a better final chapter to your time with Beachcomber"

"Obviously you are sad to see Beachcomber go, but what a final trip!"

"Any updates on the sale?"

"You should have enjoyed a nice glass of red wine on your last boat ride."

"And some Cheetos"

You guys are soooo nasty! As to the final trip, yes, that had to be the best way ever to do a last trip. No updates yet on a sale. We had to get Tina's signature on all the paperwork before they could even put the boat up on their listing page because the boat is in both names. He sent over the paperwork, she signed it and we sent it back about a week ago. The broker did say they have shown the boat several times but so far no bites.

Did you have a ceremonial throwing of the steak over board?

2017 Honda Accord Hybrid
2008 Honda Goldwing Trike
2006 Regal 2400
2004 Dodge Ram 2500
2003 Ford F-150
2002 Harley Davidson Roadking Classic

#574290 - 09/22/20 01:35 PM Re: Want to go for a boat ride? [Re: GoFirstClass]  
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
Nope, no steak bit the dust errr, the water on this trip. I should have tossed one over just for old time's sake.

As a fitting way of closing out this long tale, we finally got our schedules aligned with Jim (the boat yard owner who repaired my boat after the first unsuccessful start) and his wife and took them to dinner.

It was much nicer spending a couple of hours wining and dining them than it would have been just watching him work on the boat.

I consider Jim and Mel to be good friends; much more than just the boat mechanic.

Jim, thanks for all the love you gave us when the boat was broken down. I can't tell you how much I appreciate that.

#574722 - 12/19/20 05:46 PM Re: Want to go for a boat ride? [Re: GoFirstClass]  
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
I thought I'd add a PS to this thread. I got a call from the broker who is handling the sale of Beachcomber. He got an offer that, at best, could be described as a Low Ball offer. There was no discussion about a sea trial, survey, haulout. And the "buyer" had not even seen Beachcomber. I gave the broker my counter which was WAY above the initial offer and the guy ran. The broker told me when he called the guy and gave him my counter offer there was only silence.

He then quietly told the buyer "Well, I think maybe this might be too much boat for you." The buyer couldn't get off the phone fast enough.

My take on this is that the buyer was trying to find out how big a hurry I was to sell the boat. He found out I'm not in THAT big a hurry.

I figure it'll be some time in late February or March or April before serious buyers could out of the woodwork.

#574723 - 12/20/20 09:07 AM Re: Want to go for a boat ride? [Re: GoFirstClass]  
captkevin Offline
Admiral
captkevin  Offline
Admiral

Chicago, IL
Once the weather starts to get better I am sure it will sell no problem for the right price to someone who actually appreciates the boat & the next chapter will continue. Good luck & happy holidays.

2004 Rinker 232
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Admin 

Sponsors
New Topics
VHF Radio
by Siuslaw57. 04/10/21 08:38 PM
Towing 30ft boats with a Lexus
by MarkHB. 04/10/21 03:18 PM
Boat Raft-up Product
by athiker. 04/08/21 12:08 PM
Ohhhhhhhhh boy (aka: fml) HELP Sheared off the drain plug f
by Jennifromthadock. 04/04/21 03:31 PM
Monterey vs Chaparral
by Siuslaw57. 04/03/21 01:42 PM
Scratching my head... Volvo Penta 4.3 sx Won’t crank
by Jennifromthadock. 04/03/21 08:23 AM
April 2 is a good day.
by Jack T. 04/03/21 02:03 AM
Something interesting to read this weekend--
by Frantically Relaxing. 04/02/21 08:26 PM
Rip Rap along shoreline
by MarkHB. 04/01/21 07:07 PM
You're gonna lose a TON of money when you sell it
by GoFirstClass. 03/31/21 07:57 PM
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 38 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AdamZampa, Tunachick, Siuslaw57, Jennifromthadock, Carolyn
5552 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23
Topics37,461
Posts566,352
Members5,552
Most Online252
Aug 5th, 2017