Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#574121 - 08/15/20 09:50 PM Need home air conditioner Replacement  
Justification Offline
Admiral
Justification  Offline
Admiral

Fruit Heights, Utah
Got home from a trip tonight and the admiral used a sentence she rarely does when I get home.... I'm going to let you wind down for a bit....... OhOh I thought. Why is she being so nice instead of letting me know what went wrong while I was gone.
Went upstairs to change out of my uniform and it was 86 degrees. YOIKS, the 20 year old air conditioner failed on a weekend, just before I have some annual training I have to do with my company.
Surprised it actually lasted this long, and with the improved efficiency available now, in the long run it's actually good to replace, but short term it's just not what I need right now.
SO I'm turning to my esteemed, well rounded,and knowledgeable boating friends to guide me to the right replacement unit.

The unit needs to cool the top floor that consists of 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms and a laundry room. Approx 1400-1600 SQ Feet. This is the smaller of the two units I have with its mechanicals in the attic, while the condenser (radiator?) is on the side of the house.
Natural Gas Forced air furnace with electric air conditioner.

Beer makes you feel the way
You should feel without beer.
A Word from Our Sponsors
#574122 - 08/16/20 01:09 PM Re: Need home air conditioner Replacement [Re: Justification]  
Jack T Offline
Admiral
Jack T  Offline
Admiral

Southern California
Have you considered a set of split systems? My son's entire MA house is cooled (and heat pump for those in-between days) by several split systems. They are simple to install, quiet, remote controlled, specific to only some areas of a home, and very efficient. He also has a boiler (radiant heat) and cast iron fireplace insert for those really cold times.

Have a great day of boating
2012 Monterey 224 FS,
300 HP Volvo Penta with catalytic converters

#574123 - 08/16/20 01:12 PM Re: Need home air conditioner Replacement [Re: Justification]  
Justification Offline
Admiral
Justification  Offline
Admiral

Fruit Heights, Utah
Temporarily dodged a bullet, but will get the unit(s) replaced soon anyway.
Lucky enough the guy who installed the HVAC when we built our house is still in business, and does the weekend emergency discount ... only 50% upcharge. With Temps forecast at 100 to 103 for the next few days, it's a small price to pay to keep the admiral happy.
less than a thirty minute fix this morning, in that when he showed up he found a shorted wire. Quick repair and he's off already with the house cooling off.
Temporary in that the starting amperage on the 20 year old compressor is high, so it's only a matter of time before it fails for real, which could partially explain my cooling bills being higher this year. We'll be getting a bid to replace both units, and he is actually only about a week out.

#574125 - 08/16/20 06:17 PM Re: Need home air conditioner Replacement [Re: Justification]  
captkevin Offline
Admiral
captkevin  Offline
Admiral

Chicago, IL
Do you know what he did to fix? We had a similar issue at old house with compressor needing more power at start up. Added a hard start capacitor & all was well. It was still working fine 7 years later when we sold house. HVAC friend told me units used to come with hard start capacitors but they figured it would save them a few dollars so they stop using.

Last edited by captkevin; 08/16/20 08:42 PM.

2004 Rinker 232
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Laramie 4x4
#574126 - 08/16/20 06:36 PM Re: Need home air conditioner Replacement [Re: Justification]  
Silverbullet Offline
Admiral
Silverbullet  Offline
Admiral

Boise, ID
Ours stopped working a month or so ago while we were at the lake. Got home to 85 degrees upstairs. Used the home warranty that we had recently renewed.

New capacitors on Monday morning or Tuesday morning.

We did learn that our bottom floor flows air well with the windows open. Top floor not so much.

James
2002 Cobalt 226 VP 8.1GIDP
2007 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax
1988 Suburban 3/4 Ton
2000 Subaru Forester

#574130 - 08/16/20 08:47 PM Re: Need home air conditioner Replacement [Re: captkevin]  
Justification Offline
Admiral
Justification  Offline
Admiral

Fruit Heights, Utah
Originally Posted by captkevin
Do you know what he did to fix? We had a similar issue at old house with compressor needing more power at start up. Added a hard start capacitor & all was well. It was still working fine 7 years later when we sold house.

Best I could tell was he replaced the wires were they connected into the Compressor.
I recall replacing the start capacitor myself probably 7 or 8 years ago, but it could have been even longer ago than that. I remember exactly how that day went, as it was a very memorable day, but can't recall exactly when.
Wish I had a homeowners warranty, but we built it 20 years ago, so the contractors guarantee is long gone, and getting the 20 years out of these units is more than I thought I'd get.
Should I milk them a while longer, or bite the bullet and fork over some serious cash to upgrade to more efficient units?
Our power bills have been climbing over the last two years, in both energy used and the cost per Kilowatt, which I kinda figure is the AC units failing, but we have added some additional computers and an Ice machine, so that could be the problem instead.
Replacing now is insurance against a failure when I'm on a trip, and needing to appease the admiral when I get home, but it could also just be throwing money away before I need to.

#574131 - 08/16/20 10:44 PM Re: Need home air conditioner Replacement [Re: Justification]  
Silverbullet Offline
Admiral
Silverbullet  Offline
Admiral

Boise, ID
Originally Posted by Justification
Originally Posted by captkevin
Do you know what he did to fix? We had a similar issue at old house with compressor needing more power at start up. Added a hard start capacitor & all was well. It was still working fine 7 years later when we sold house.

Best I could tell was he replaced the wires were they connected into the Compressor.
I recall replacing the start capacitor myself probably 7 or 8 years ago, but it could have been even longer ago than that. I remember exactly how that day went, as it was a very memorable day, but can't recall exactly when.
Wish I had a homeowners warranty, but we built it 20 years ago, so the contractors guarantee is long gone, and getting the 20 years out of these units is more than I thought I'd get.
Should I milk them a while longer, or bite the bullet and fork over some serious cash to upgrade to more efficient units?
Our power bills have been climbing over the last two years, in both energy used and the cost per Kilowatt, which I kinda figure is the AC units failing, but we have added some additional computers and an Ice machine, so that could be the problem instead.
Replacing now is insurance against a failure when I'm on a trip, and needing to appease the admiral when I get home, but it could also just be throwing money away before I need to.

If you believe it is going out, I would at least try to wait for cooler weather, but before it gets cold. You want to slip into the timeframe where they are slow. The risk is that almost all supply chains are screwed up and appliances are impacted as well which could create an issue. But, once you get into fall and winter, there is no rush for an A/C. That's from a cost perspective. From a keep the admiral happy, probably schedule a replacement so it is on the calendar. You might have a bit more warm weather than us. It'll start cooling off before long, but we'll use the a/c on and off in September.

James
2002 Cobalt 226 VP 8.1GIDP
2007 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax
1988 Suburban 3/4 Ton
2000 Subaru Forester

#574133 - 08/17/20 08:17 AM Re: Need home air conditioner Replacement [Re: Justification]  
captkevin Offline
Admiral
captkevin  Offline
Admiral

Chicago, IL
Think i'd let it go & see how it goes for awhile.

2004 Rinker 232
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Laramie 4x4
#574136 - 08/18/20 06:39 PM Re: Need home air conditioner Replacement [Re: Justification]  
Frantically Relaxing Offline
Admiral
Frantically Relaxing  Offline
Admiral

^^^ concur -- Chances are it'll be fine for a few months, when they'll likely go on sale smile

#574156 - 08/20/20 04:42 PM Re: Need home air conditioner Replacement [Re: Justification]  
WayWeGo Offline
Admiral
WayWeGo  Offline
Admiral

Oakton, VA
Originally Posted by Justification

If that ice machine is inside, not only will it use some electricity, but the heat it is taking out of the water to make ice will make the AC work harder. I'm not sure how significant that is, but it does add to the load in both ways.

[Linked Image]
1975 Trojan F36 Convertible, Twin Chrysler 440's
2014 West Marine AL360 Inflatable, 1966 Mercury 6HP, 1992 Mercury 20HP
#574188 - 08/25/20 11:00 AM Re: Need home air conditioner Replacement [Re: Justification]  
athiker Offline
Admiral
athiker  Offline
Admiral

Lake Norman, NC
I am in a similar boat (pun intended), with two 20 year old units we are on borrowed time. I would be curious what brands are still decent these days and efficiency levels that are a good balance of cost and performance. I think 2Suns from IL on the forum is in the business, but doesn't post much these days.

I have a friend that owns some apartment properties who replaced some units recently. He is friends with his HVAC guy so was privy to the wholesale equipment costs and was shocked at the markup! Its tough work though crawling around crawlspaces and working in hot house attics all day.

Our bills have been higher this year too, but we've also had 5 people in the house upstairs and downstairs 7 days a week due to COVID. I work from home most days still and my office is upstairs as are the kids bedrooms/zoom classrooms.

2000 Cobalt 206 5.7L EFI Alpha 1

Moderated by  Admin 

Sponsors
New Topics
Cranking the boat
by gdhodnett. 10/23/20 10:37 PM
Pulled the Boat
by On Holiday. 10/22/20 11:32 AM
After 19 years, time to throw money at it
by WaterWing. 10/03/20 05:17 PM
Tahoe q4 sf back seat removal for engine access
by samuelpeterman. 09/29/20 10:38 AM
Carbon Monoxide Warning
by athiker. 09/28/20 01:23 PM
Living aboard and marina/beach town life...
by Dave R. 09/23/20 03:18 PM
A first day of fall question for all of you...
by GoFirstClass. 09/22/20 08:12 PM
Worst boating season ever
by Justification. 09/22/20 03:49 PM
Are you a fan of Facebook, Instagram, etc.?
by GoFirstClass. 09/20/20 01:17 PM
I went to the Dark Side
by MarkHB. 09/17/20 09:51 AM
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 64 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
samuelpeterman, Andy298ss, Alan_Ziffer, MyAxe, rgodfrey914
5533 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23
Topics37,407
Posts565,691
Members5,534
Most Online252
Aug 5th, 2017