Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#573909 - 07/03/20 07:04 PM This guy just conviced me to spray---  
Frantically Relaxing Offline
Admiral
Frantically Relaxing  Offline
Admiral

Came across this video after searching 'spraying coal tar epoxy'...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA4W11okIkM

-- I bought an airless sprayer specifically to apply the coal tar epoxy on the SkipperLiner hull when I'm ready, but for some time now I've been apprehensive about it, due to issues like overspray getting on other boats, never having used an airless, etc... The time is fast approaching, and I've been dreading rolling this stuff on due to rolling being slow, the necessary recoat times...

This guy and his helper(s) spent 2 hours rolling 5 gallons of coal car one day only to find at least a second coat and possibly a third would be needed. So the next day he sprayed- and in 3 hours (!), was able to spray 35 gallons of coal tar and get it to his desired 20mil thickness-- and this boat is very cool and HUGE! And he sprayed the whole boat while wearing a white shirt! So I'm figuring that as long as I take some rudimentary steps to keep the overspray contained and be careful, overspray shouldn't be a problem. He used 40 gallons on that boat, I have 19-1/2 gallons to go on mine, pretty sure I have plenty...:)

I'm not even sure who the guy is.. and beware at around 5-1/2 minutes in, where he gets a bit profane about "mothers"... wink

A Word from Our Sponsors
#573910 - 07/03/20 08:54 PM Re: This guy just conviced me to spray--- [Re: Frantically Relaxing]  
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
Hmmm, I'm not an environmentalist but I wonder what the effects on the water come from using those materials. If the state DEQ or whatever the local gubmint agency is that sniffs green stuff found out you had sprayed that on a hull, and the material did not have approval from the state, you could be up the crick.

Might be worth a phone call before you spray and get your fanny whacked for doing it.

"Beachcomber" 1995 Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge

Anchor's down......Bottoms Up!
#573911 - 07/03/20 09:08 PM Re: This guy just conviced me to spray--- [Re: Frantically Relaxing]  
captkevin Offline
Admiral
captkevin  Offline
Admiral

Chicago, IL
Wow that was a lot of boat to spray & they got it done Seems like a good way to get it done

2004 Rinker 232
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Laramie 4x4
#573912 - 07/04/20 01:24 AM Re: This guy just conviced me to spray--- [Re: Frantically Relaxing]  
Admiral
Admiral

Mike, every battleship's hull in the US fleet and every water treatment plant's stirring basins are primed with coal tar epoxy. If you're referring to my other posts where I mention the acids I'm using, muriatic acid is used in swimming pools to adjust PH, and phosphoric acid is put in Cola drinks (which is why you can use them as toilet bowl cleaners) smile

#573913 - 07/04/20 11:35 AM Re: This guy just conviced me to spray--- [Re: Frantically Relaxing]  
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
I wasn't concerned about your pool or the US's battleships but I guess I'm too conditioned to living in the tree-hugging PNW where if you so much as spit in Puget Sound you go to jail. The entire Puget Sound is a no-dump zone which is odd because it flushes itself twice a day with the currents. The city of Seattle can have an "accidental overflow" of its treatment plants of 3 million gallons and DEQ says "tsk, tsk, tsk."

But let some poor schmuck boater dump his 50 gallon holding tank and they seize everything but his kids.

Frickin' greenies.

#573918 - 07/04/20 08:32 PM Re: This guy just conviced me to spray--- [Re: Frantically Relaxing]  
captkevin Offline
Admiral
captkevin  Offline
Admiral

Chicago, IL
Think i'd watch the weather for a day with no wind & get it done. Get in get it done before anyone can comment. Do it on a week day when no one else is around.

2004 Rinker 232
#573921 - 07/04/20 09:47 PM Re: This guy just conviced me to spray--- [Re: captkevin]  
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
Originally Posted by captkevin
Do it on a week day when no one else is around.

You're kidding, right? In this day and age where everyone from age 7 on up has a phone tattooed to their chest, and just when you think nobody is around you're on social media!

#573924 - 07/05/20 03:03 PM Re: This guy just conviced me to spray--- [Re: captkevin]  
Admiral
Admiral

Originally Posted by captkevin
Think i'd watch the weather for a day with no wind & get it done. Get in get it done before anyone can comment. Do it on a week day when no one else is around.

Pretty much exactly my plan, but not to avoid snoops so much. The place is now a combo boat harbor and RV park. During the week the place has typically been pretty dead, but the RV'ers will be camping at the south end where the FULL hookups are, including CULINARY WATER!!!! After 15 years of having a houseboat here, I can finally NOT have to drive 4 miles to fill a 55 gallon barrel with water! All I need is a crapload of water hose! (and I already have 150 yards of it just to use the pressure washer!)

My point, so far this summer I'm running my new generator and angle grinders and air sanders and palm sander and been sandblasting, all of which make a ton of noise, barely 40' away from 1/2 dozen camping families, and I don't particularly like bothering people with the racket. During the week the whole north end where the boat's at will be empty.

Spent a good part of yesterday under the thing with the sandblaster and air sander, I'm getting really close... I'm just about done abrading all of the places I haven't already (about 80 sq ft or so left to go), and I'm touching up everywhere else where I'm finding pinholes so I can remove the rust. I also, finally, removed all the waterline calcium deposits around the perimeter of the hull. Going out today in a couple hours to keep after it. I figure I probably have 6-8 hours of finishing up, then I'll be ready for pressure-spraying a lean mix of phosphoric acid, followed by a mix of water and 'Hold Tight' just before painting. Hold Tight is added to sandblasting water when wet blasting, it supposedly removes salts and oils and prevents flash rust for 3 days. The guy painting that huge boat also has a video where he made several tests using pieces of plate steel treated with various varieties of anti-rust products followed by coal tar epoxy, then suspended the test plates in a barrel of broiling salt water for a YEAR. The plates treated with Hold Tight prior to coal tar epoxy gave the best results. The stuff is mixed a between 50 and 100 to 1 ratio with water. At 50 to one that's 2 gallons to 100 gallons water, and at 4gpm from my washer that's 30 minutes of spraying time, which is more than enough time for me to spray the whole boat. Then coal tar smile

THEN I have to move all the blocks and fix what they've been covering up. PLUS I have 2 sets of new bellows and 2 new outdrives and rams to install. And 6 new batteries to install. And about 40 gallons of old gas to siphon out. And new gas to put in.

oy... wink

#573925 - 07/05/20 04:32 PM Re: This guy just conviced me to spray--- [Re: Frantically Relaxing]  
captkevin Offline
Admiral
captkevin  Offline
Admiral

Chicago, IL
Sounds like you are getting closer.

Once it done where are you going to put it in the water?

2004 Rinker 232
#573926 - 07/05/20 06:30 PM Re: This guy just conviced me to spray--- [Re: Frantically Relaxing]  
Admiral
Admiral

I've BEEN resigned to having to hire the crane guy again to put it back in where we pulled it. Far from ideal because I destroyed the port prop and my boarding ladder against the shoreline rocks getting it pulled out. Probably be the same getting it in, and crane guys don't like flipping their rigs over, and pushing this boat farther into the water makes that more likely- But we now know the exact weight of the boat, and because I only had a best guess beforehand (which ended up correct) he wasn't taking any chances... The other problem is to get to where it came out, the boat has to be put on the trailer then make a 180 to go back the other way, OR back it up 500'... but the main reason WHY I've been resigned to the crane is because there was no way to get to the launch ramp without possibly sinking tires in soft grass, then being blocked by low hanging trees barely far enough apart for a 14' wide anything to fit thru..

Here's a google earth shot, last year or so, it shows why I really don't want to put it in where it came out (I pulled it from there to where it's parked with my pickup truck, and not one person shot a pic or video?) -and you can see the path to the ramp is pretty tight for that big boat plus whatever gets to tow it, likely my truck. Those trees are very close, and with the TV and boat going over soft lawn, and I can't imagine that would turn out good! Pic also shows why I'm so upset about the owner wanting to boot us, I'm his best customer, have been since he bought the place! I pay for 8 boats worth of parking plus 3 slips plus the electric I use! wink

[Linked Image]

. But enter the new RV parking slabs- they excavated out most of the lawn, had asphalt parking pads put in, and filled the spaces between with slag from the old steel mill tailings right next door. The result is, instead of grass, the tow vehicle, likely my truck and congear, has an overall solid surface to drive on, with enough room to swing very wide left, followed by a hard right, and if done right the boat trailer's wheels will never leave the original asphalt! And to make room for the RV spaces, the east/left side tree had to go! So now there's room to roll wide-left a bit, and the only issue may be pushing some branches out of the way to get by...

this shows where the RV pads are, and all the area in white where the grass was is fine to drive on smile

[Linked Image]

=========================

So the plan is to pull the with my truck/congear or someone's semi- but, with the truck/congear I should be able to square up the boat to the road with out the trailer tires going over the RV slabs at all...

That's the plan anyway.. wink

#573927 - 07/05/20 06:56 PM Re: This guy just conviced me to spray--- [Re: Frantically Relaxing]  
captkevin Offline
Admiral
captkevin  Offline
Admiral

Chicago, IL
Looks like you definitely have gave this some thought. Nice to see things are working out.

2004 Rinker 232
#573963 - 07/11/20 12:21 AM Re: This guy just conviced me to spray--- [Re: Frantically Relaxing]  
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
That's going to be a big operation. Any chance your Admiral. can video it and post it online so we can all watch?

Moderated by  Admin 

Sponsors
New Topics
Current used boat market is crazy
by Waterdog. 08/08/20 12:15 PM
Finally got it wet
by kenhdog. 08/07/20 10:15 PM
Well, Sundays are now shot
by GoFirstClass. 07/27/20 04:59 PM
Skiing at 63 years old
by WaterWing. 07/24/20 10:25 PM
What fluid goes here?
by athiker. 07/19/20 01:10 PM
Refurbishing trailer
by Senoj. 07/14/20 07:34 AM
Yet another lake tragedy
by MarkHB. 07/13/20 02:03 PM
This can't be g
by GoFirstClass. 07/12/20 04:10 PM
Local Lake tragedy
by kenhdog. 07/10/20 12:58 AM
DP Synthetic lube jet black after a week of boating-
by Frantically Relaxing. 07/07/20 06:24 PM
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 78 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
cgreene, riverlvr, LarsTheViking, rcouch, FourCs
5527 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23
Topics37,389
Posts565,405
Members5,527
Most Online252
Aug 5th, 2017