Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#573758 - 06/10/20 01:03 AM Looking at driveable street rods  
Frantically Relaxing Offline
Admiral
Frantically Relaxing  Offline
Admiral

So I'm looking to get a car for ME. Since we've been married the only personal vehicles I've gotten are the 2 motorcycles. Every car has been for the wifey. She's not into the new Mustang, likes the '89 better, and she doesn't drive anymore anyway so... The '89 hasn't been driven in 5 years, it's going to my cousin's shop for a thorough going over sometime this week, and the '13 is going up for sale. She's only driven it twice, and WE've driven it less than 2500 miles in the 5 years we've had it. All I do with it is post office runs and grocery shopping. Well hell, I can do THAT in practically anything-- even something not so practical! wink

think I mentioned awhile back I was interested in a Bentley Continental. Came thiiisss close to getting a pristine '04, but I got seriously skeered about the prices of fixing the thing. And as much as I'd love one, it's a bit much for a grocery getter.

So when it comes to fixing cars, none are easier to fix than OLD iron. I also like unique cars, newer cars just aren't. Any Bentley is pretty unique. And so are older cars. So I've been looking at 'daily driver' street rods. There's some very nice ones out there, I got my eye on several, but the one I keep going back to look at is probably the least practical car I could find, and unique doesn't begin to describe it laugh - It's a '51 Chevy gasser. I LOVE old gassers. I'd post a pic but don't want to spoil it, ya'll just have to check it out. It's built right, bizarre as hell and has a trunk for the groceries!

'51 gasser ad

(chances are slim I'll ever get something like that, but ya never know laugh

-- I will post up a little less radical ride that's on my list:
[Linked Image]

A Word from Our Sponsors
#573760 - 06/10/20 08:41 AM Re: Looking at driveable street rods [Re: Frantically Relaxing]  
captkevin Offline
Admiral
captkevin  Offline
Admiral

Chicago, IL
Always been a fan of the older muscle cars.

Are you getting rid of the 89 Mustang or keeping that?

2004 Rinker 232
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Laramie 4x4
#573761 - 06/10/20 10:09 AM Re: Looking at driveable street rods [Re: Frantically Relaxing]  
Silverbullet Offline
Admiral
Silverbullet  Offline
Admiral

Boise, ID
They're awesome. No two ways about it. Are you wanting it to be period correct? In other words, no modern upgrades?

I know many are putting modern motors in them.

50's Chevys. Friend had a 55 210. a 55 Bel Air would be awesome.

50's corvette.

Find something with good aftermarket support.

Square body Chevy's are cool. I might be a little biased. Also, 60's Bronco's, blazers, etc.

James
2002 Cobalt 226 VP 8.1GIDP
2007 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax
1988 Suburban 3/4 Ton
2000 Subaru Forester

#573762 - 06/10/20 11:53 AM Re: Looking at driveable street rods [Re: Frantically Relaxing]  
Jack T Offline
Admiral
Jack T  Offline
Admiral

Southern California
Although they are not "Hot Rods," I have always had an eye on Plymouth/Chrysler Prowlers. They will turn heads wherever they go.

https://www.carstory.com/cars/make-chrysler/model-prowler

Last edited by Jack T; 06/10/20 12:13 PM.

Have a great day of boating
2012 Monterey 224 FS,
300 HP Volvo Penta with catalytic converters

#573769 - 06/11/20 01:06 AM Re: Looking at driveable street rods [Re: Frantically Relaxing]  
Admiral
Admiral

Kevin-- keeping the '89, selling the '13...

[Linked Image]

--- these pics were taken when we got the '13, haven't driven the '89 since...

James- I'm perfectly fine with carbed crate motors, not really wanting to baby some flathead around, and I REALLY don't want EFI of any kind...

Jack- I've always liked Prowlers, one of my customers has a '97, drives it once in awhile on good days, only 1700 miles on it. He won't sell it wink

... Turning heads-- nobody checked out the gasser?

[Linked Image]

--and to steal from Monty Python, 'and now for something completely different!'

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

-- Now I'm not all about all the large stickers wink -- but damn, would this thing be a ball to drive? laugh

-------------

For something a little closer to planet earth, I'm liking this '57-- very clean, running a 429/C6 drive train- My grandma had a yellow n' black '57, always loved that car...
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

----------------
-and one more pic of that '39 Oldsmobile above smile

[Linked Image]

--this is actually my favorite at the moment, it's well done, unique but not crazy radical (not that there's anything wrong with that!)...

#573770 - 06/11/20 08:14 AM Re: Looking at driveable street rods [Re: Frantically Relaxing]  
captkevin Offline
Admiral
captkevin  Offline
Admiral

Chicago, IL
Frantic that gasser is crazy. Love the motor in the front seat & driving from the rear. That would be interesting i would imagine.

Love the 89 convert - was always a big fan of that body style.

There is a 92 red one with white interior for sale in my neighborhood that i have my eye. Very clean. Wish it had black interior.

Would love to have a toy like that to play with.

For now i can live vicariously through you.

How is the house boat project?

2004 Rinker 232
#573771 - 06/11/20 12:14 PM Re: Looking at driveable street rods [Re: Frantically Relaxing]  
Admiral
Admiral

As usual, the houseboat is waiting for my engraving workload to slow down enough so I can get out there and finish it up!

As it stands: All holes *that I know of* have been patched with MarineTex epoxy. I have no doubt this was a good move as the majority of the repairs were done 4 to 5 YEARS ago (gawd that sounds horrible). The boat has been thru that many seasons of +100 to 0° temperature swings, with NO signs of temperature differential issues, no cracking or adhesion failures. I also painted a layer of coal tar epoxy on the starboard (west-facing) side of the hull, most of it over the existing bottom paint, just to make sure there'd be no adhesion issues. 5 years later, no problem. I've used a pneumatic needle scaler to 'jackhammer' many of the repairs, the thing won't even scratch the MarineTex, and none of the patches have chipped, cracked or in any other way failed. And MarineTex won't rust from INSIDE the hull like steel patches would, which is the main reason I chose to use it. So I'm pretty dam sure that, especially once it's all covered over by 1/16" thick coat of coal tar epoxy, the repairs will be 'final'. Except for the last section of hull, about 6x10 feet's worth (and above the blocks) that I still need to do, the rest of the hull has been de-rusted and treated with phosphoric acid to inhibit further rusting. The 6x10 area is about 2 days work to finish. Once that's done I'll run the big power washer over the entire hull to see if I unearth any more hiding rust, and take care of it if I do... then the bottom and sides will get fully abraded with 7" 24 grit sanding wheels, and sandblasted where necessary, about a 3 hour job, followed immediately by spraying a 3:1 mix of water/phosphoric acid over the entire hull. Then comes the fun of applying 19 gallons of coal tar epoxy, followed by 3 coats of black Unepoxy bottom paint.

All sounds so easy... roflmao

After all that, or in-between all that, I have to change out 2 sets of bellows, and install my 2 brand new SEI outdrives. But that's just nuts n' bolts wink

I also have to find somewhere to put about 40 gallons of 5 year old gas I need to siphon out...

Once the boat is in the water, I'm going to mix up a 55 gallon barrel's worth of 3:1 mix of phosphoric acid & water, and pump it all into the hull. Then find a couple of water toyers to follow me out into the lake and carve some nice deep wakes that'll shake the [censored] out of the boat, sloshing the mix everywhere, effectively pickling any rust I can't get at otherwise and preventing further rust. Then pump it back out, and dispose of it in an ecologically correct manner...

That's the plan. Wish me luck! pirate

#573772 - 06/11/20 01:38 PM Re: Looking at driveable street rods [Re: Frantically Relaxing]  
captkevin Offline
Admiral
captkevin  Offline
Admiral

Chicago, IL
Sounds like you have it all planned out. I completely feel you on how time flies by. We are on year 7 of our lake house & still have things to finish. Never seems to be enough hours in the day. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel though.

All this Covid stuff put us back a few months on work this year but we are hard at it now. !st trip down last week found we had 2 35' pine trees that had came down in a storm & needed to be cut up & burnt.

Seems like something is always coming up. Heading down tomorrow to try & get a few more things done.

Hopefully next trip the lake level has come down to a more manageable level so we can get out on the water.

2004 Rinker 232
#573773 - 06/11/20 04:06 PM Re: Looking at driveable street rods [Re: Frantically Relaxing]  
Justification Offline
Admiral
Justification  Offline
Admiral

Fruit Heights, Utah
I'm exhausted just reading the hull finishing plan. I can't even get myself to wax my cars with a buffing machine,.

Like the looks of the 51, but not really sure it meets the definition of driveable street rod.
Really like the 57 in the "Barn"with what looks like about a dozen garage doors, but then I'm kinda into red cars. Ford?

What is it about EFI you don't like?

Beer makes you feel the way
You should feel without beer.
#573774 - 06/11/20 07:17 PM Re: Looking at driveable street rods [Re: Frantically Relaxing]  
captkevin Offline
Admiral
captkevin  Offline
Admiral

Chicago, IL
Would love an old car to cruise around & take to shows but don't want to end with a money pit & something else to keep up, Will probably end up going with a new Challenger Scat pack or Mustang Gt. Something with a warranty & no issues. Turn key have fun - any issues go to dealer.

2004 Rinker 232
#573776 - 06/12/20 12:58 AM Re: Looking at driveable street rods [Re: Frantically Relaxing]  
Admiral
Admiral

Actually, I love EFI, just not in old cars. smile

-The 51 chebby is totally driveable. A bit weird to drive maybe... it DOES have a windshield, just not real noticeable... Wipers? not sure wink

The '57 is a Ford Custom 300 2-door sedan, supposed to be 6" shorter than the 500 and Fairlane versions. The restoration on that is 11 years old, still near immaculate. The owner says he wouldn't hesitate to take it across the country.
couple more pics, it IS nice, and bonus, the wife likes this one laugh (she doesn't care for the LOONNGG hoods on the really old cars...
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

--------

#573777 - 06/12/20 10:01 AM Re: Looking at driveable street rods [Re: Frantically Relaxing]  
captkevin Offline
Admiral
captkevin  Offline
Admiral

Chicago, IL
Cool looking ride

2004 Rinker 232
#573779 - 06/12/20 11:50 AM Re: Looking at driveable street rods [Re: Frantically Relaxing]  
captkevin Offline
Admiral
captkevin  Offline
Admiral

Chicago, IL
If I could a Road Runner, GTX or Cuda would make for a nice toy but for the prices they are going for now i can't see paying that much.

2004 Rinker 232
#573780 - 06/12/20 01:05 PM Re: Looking at driveable street rods [Re: Frantically Relaxing]  
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
I'm in an age bracket that doesn't get my heart fluttering over street rods. I can appreciate the work that goes into a nice resto but beyond that they just don't do it for me.

Now give me a nice 70 Chevelle 454SS like I used to own, or a 70 El Camino like I used to own and my heart beats a little faster. I never was much of a Ford or Chrysler product fan. Again, they just didn't do it for me. Except for Ford pickups. IMHO that's the best truck on the road. Apparently many others agree because the F150 has been the best selling vehicle since forever. I'm sure a big part of that is F150's being work trucks, but there's still a lot of them being driven as daily drivers.

"Beachcomber" 1995 Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge

Anchor's down......Bottoms Up!
#573783 - 06/12/20 04:16 PM Re: Looking at driveable street rods [Re: captkevin]  
Admiral
Admiral

Originally Posted by captkevin
If I could a Road Runner, GTX or Cuda would make for a nice toy but for the prices they are going for now i can't see paying that much.

A MOPAR guy, cool laugh
My dad's family were all Ford people, mostly because my Uncle sold the things. Grandma had a '57 Fairlane as I noted above, Grandpa's car was a '51, dad's car was a '52.. my oldest brother's first car was a '55, my other brother's was a '53 with a flatty 6... Grandpa died, so he appropriated the flatty V8 in grandpa's car and transplanted it into the '53, and I helped smile (I had a '54 Victoria for awhile in the '80's) Mom liked Thunderbirds, she had a '65, a '67, and the ridiculous '80

So brother 2 eventually put a rod thru the block of the flatty V8, and his next car led to his, and my, Mopar obsession... He bought one of those '64 Dodge cop cars with the 383/4-speed that were all over these parts, 3 people I new had one of those. First 4-speed I ever drove.

Brother's next car was a '68 Coronet R/T, looked just like this one but a different shade of red I think.
440 magnum, 4-speed...

[Linked Image]

In '71 I bought a '67 Coronet R/T for all of $600, was a trade in my Uncle let me have for their cost. Interior was sad, otherwise it was in great shape!
It looked just like this, gold with a black vinyl roof. Mine had nicer wheels and tires. 440 mag, automatic. Dog off the line, but from a 25mph rolling start it was an animal...

[Linked Image]

And while I still had the '67, I found this '70 Coronet R/T, the one I should have never let get away. Sadly, this is the ONLY pic
I have of the thing, a beat up old Polaroid. Pic was taken in right here on the same driveway smile This car is worth some BUCKS these days,
came with the 440 six-pac, slap-stick 4-speed, 4:10 gears, functioning hood scoops, not many of them made,
most of the 'fast' Coronets were Super Bee's...

[Linked Image]

Here's a pic of what the back looked like... I THINK the R/T's were the only '70's that had the 3-lens taillights,
all others were just a single lens light... anyone ever see one, ever?

[Linked Image]

All Coronet's, no Chargers, GTX's or Cuda's. A guy I know in Vegas owns a 1971 AAR Hemi Cuda Convertible. Less than 1000 miles, only drives it a few times a year to keep the seals wet. I think there were only 2 made, I can only guess what it's worth...

#573790 - 06/12/20 10:50 PM Re: Looking at driveable street rods [Re: captkevin]  
Admiral
Admiral

Originally Posted by captkevin

A MOPAR guy, cool laugh
My dad's family were all Ford people, mostly because my Uncle sold the things. Grandma had a '57 Fairlane as I noted above, Grandpa's car was a '51, dad's first car I remember was a '49, followed by a '52.. my oldest brother's first car was a '55, my other brother's was a '53 with a flatty 6... Grandpa died, so he appropriated the flatty V8 in grandpa's car and transplanted it into the '53, and I helped smile (I had a '54 Victoria for awhile in the '80's) Mom liked Thunderbirds, she had a '65, a '67, and the ridiculous '80

So brother 2 eventually put a rod thru the block of the flatty V8, and his next car led to his, and my, Mopar obsession... He bought one of those '64 Dodge cop cars with the 383/4-speed that were all over these parts, 3 people I new had one of those. First 4-speed I ever drove.

Brother's next car was a '68 Coronet R/T, looked just like this one but a different shade of red I think.
440 magnum, 4-speed...

[Linked Image]

In '71 I bought a '67 Coronet R/T for all of $600, was a trade in my Uncle let me have for their cost. Interior was sad, otherwise it was in great shape!
It looked just like this, gold with a black vinyl roof. Mine had nicer wheels and tires. 440 mag, automatic. Dog off the line, but from a 25mph rolling start it was an animal...

[Linked Image]

And while I still had the '67, I found this '70 Coronet R/T, the one I should have never let get away. Sadly, this is the ONLY pic
I have of the thing, a beat up old Polaroid. Pic was taken in right here on the same driveway smile This car is worth some BUCKS these days,
came with the 440 six-pac, slap-stick 4-speed, 4:10 gears, functioning hood scoops, not many of them made,
most of the 'fast' Coronets were Super Bee's...

[Linked Image]

Here's a pic of what the back looked like... I THINK the R/T's were the only '70's that had the 3-lens taillights,
all others were just a single lens light... anyone ever see one, ever?

[Linked Image]

All Coronet's, no Chargers, GTX's or Cuda's. A guy I know in Vegas owns a 1971 AAR Hemi Cuda Convertible. Less than 1000 miles, only drives it a few times a year to keep the seals wet. I think there were only 2 made, I can only guess what it's worth...

#573794 - 06/14/20 08:11 PM Re: Looking at driveable street rods [Re: Frantically Relaxing]  
captkevin Offline
Admiral
captkevin  Offline
Admiral

Chicago, IL
I love the old Mopars. That 70 Coronet GTX is awesome. Would love one but the prices have skyrocketed these days. You had some nice mopars.

2004 Rinker 232
#573799 - 06/15/20 11:58 PM Re: Looking at driveable street rods [Re: Frantically Relaxing]  
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
Gimme a '62 Bronco and I'd be tickled to pieces. Talk about something that prices have skyrocketed on!

"Beachcomber" 1995 Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge

Anchor's down......Bottoms Up!

Moderated by  Admin 

Sponsors
New Topics
Want to go for a boat ride?
by GoFirstClass. 07/06/20 04:17 PM
Uninvited Guests
by Dock Holiday. 07/06/20 12:31 PM
Boats Sales In 2020
by Dock Holiday. 07/04/20 04:14 PM
This guy just conviced me to spray---
by Frantically Relaxing. 07/03/20 07:04 PM
RVingABC
by Jack T. 06/29/20 04:27 PM
Expensive day at the lake for someone.
by captkevin. 06/23/20 08:59 AM
Knocking in the outdrive
by WaterWing. 06/16/20 10:28 PM
Tohatsu M40D2 3000 RPM Max
by BCassity. 06/12/20 03:34 PM
Extending Trailer Tongue
by Silverbullet. 06/12/20 02:04 PM
Looking at driveable street rods
by Frantically Relaxing. 06/10/20 01:03 AM
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 52 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
FourCs, BlackEyedEd, Two2Fly, RPalmer, BCassity
5524 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23
Topics37,378
Posts565,225
Members5,525
Most Online252
Aug 5th, 2017