Admiral
Justification  Offline
Admiral

Fruit Heights, Utah
[Linked Image]

Beer makes you feel the way
You should feel without beer.
A Word from Our Sponsors
#573284 - 03/12/20 07:56 AM Re: Best take on the Coronavirus Scare yet [Re: Justification]  
captkevin Online content
Admiral
captkevin  Online Content
Admiral

Chicago, IL
Thats awesome

2004 Rinker 232
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Laramie 4x4
#573309 - 03/18/20 10:37 AM Re: Best take on the Coronavirus Scare yet [Re: Justification]  
Justification Offline
Admiral
Justification  Offline
Admiral

Fruit Heights, Utah
End of times coming to Utah.
5.7 Magnitude earthquake centered by Magna (Magna- Magnitude Coincidence I think not) Utah this morning.
I was fixing Breakfast for my oldest to go to work when it hit, and for once it wasn't a struggle to actually wake him up as the rumbling woke up the entire house.
Multiple aftershocks but the only one I felt was a 3.7 about 45 minutes after the first shock.

Taking inventory of our emergency supplies. we have about 12 cases of wine in various styles, 4 cases of beer, the hard liquor is well stocked. PLenty of steaks, Brisket, Ribs (both pork and beef), chicken and hamburger, as well as some bison burger, elk burger and elk steaks, and some individually wrapped salmon fillets.
Most importantly we have plenty of ammo of various calibers to protect our pre-crisis stock of TP.
Feeling like a prepper, but the prestocked supplies is a normal teaching of "The Church" around here to which I don't belong. Bring on the Zombie apocalypse.

#573312 - 03/18/20 01:52 PM Re: Best take on the Coronavirus Scare yet [Re: Justification]  
captkevin Online content
Admiral
Admiral

Chicago, IL
Sounds like you are stocked up pretty good Justification.

My son & I were going to hit the range last Saturday. He went to a few places looking for ammo & most places were pretty picked over. We decided to pass on the range & keep the ammo we have.

Crazy days.

Did you suffer any dame from the earth quake?

2004 Rinker 232
#573322 - 03/19/20 05:09 PM Re: Best take on the Coronavirus Scare yet [Re: Justification]  
Frantically Relaxing Offline
Admiral
Frantically Relaxing  Offline
Admiral

Yeah, seems the gods don't think we're being challenged enough by the mexican beer flu, so they dropped a 5.7 megaton bomb on us for good measure. An adrenaline junkie I'm NOT, and we didn't get it so bad. I have probably 1000 boxes of nuts, bolts, screws, wiring stuff, engraving stuff, plumbing stuff, weird tools, etc etc on dozens of shelves all over the basement, and nothing came off a shelf. Even one of those tall skinny propane bottles didn't tip over. Some small stuff upstairs did, but nothing got broken. I'm about 18 miles from the epicenter, pretty sure Justy's a ways farther than that. 2 of my kids are about 8 miles away, and half of everything they own ended up on their floors. We're still trying to swallow our hearts the rest of the way down! Scary shi*...

#573323 - 03/19/20 08:45 PM Re: Best take on the Coronavirus Scare yet [Re: Justification]  
Dock Holiday Offline
Admiral
Dock Holiday  Offline
Admiral

Lake Geneva, WI
I was watching TV tonight and saw a Charmin add come on (the one with the red colored bears). I thought to myself: what a waste of advertising dollars, no one gives a crap what brand it is at this point in time, any wipe in a storm.

#573324 - 03/19/20 09:24 PM Re: Best take on the Coronavirus Scare yet [Re: Justification]  
captkevin Online content
Admiral
Admiral

Chicago, IL
Good to hear you survived the earthquake ok Frantic. Crazy days

2004 Rinker 232
#573337 - 03/22/20 11:05 PM Re: Best take on the Coronavirus Scare yet [Re: Justification]  
Admiral
Admiral

So at 7:17 tonight a 3.9 aftershock went by-- funny how the nerves rattle as much as windows and dishes.. Felt like the house drove over a 2" speed bump at 10 mph..

#573339 - 03/23/20 10:34 AM Re: Best take on the Coronavirus Scare yet [Re: Justification]  
Justification Offline
Admiral
Justification  Offline
Admiral

Fruit Heights, Utah
Didn't feel a thing when that one hit last night, but had a wine glass fall and break in the bar. I was watching a movie and couldn't figure out what made it happen until I saw the news article.

#573340 - 03/23/20 11:37 AM Re: Best take on the Coronavirus Scare yet [Re: Justification]  
Admiral
Admiral

had another one this morning, 8:13, just a teeny one. I was sitting on the bed watching the news with the volume way down, then I heard a small rumble, and before I could think much about it the rumble got slightly louder and the bathroom door jam creaked, and that was about it. If the TV was much louder I'd probably never noticed. Spooky nonetheless...

Speaking of spooky, yesterday was very eerie, too quiet. Ambient noise to near zero outside, no cars driving thru the subdivision most of the day. Most Sunday mornings, from our bathroom window I can hear almost every car that's driving north-south for at least a mile. Yesterday, nothing. No cars, no industrial noises, no hammering, no power saws, no kids screaming, sirens, dogs barking, neighbors yelling...

Spooky. Like being the only boat on Yuba Lake in late September, 8 or 9 miles from camp in a single engine boat, and no cell service spooky...

#573343 - 03/23/20 12:29 PM Re: Best take on the Coronavirus Scare yet [Re: Justification]  
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
I don't know how I missed this thread but I'm glad the quake wasn't any harder than it was. They are spooky and kinda make you realize just how inconsequential you are compared to the power of nature.

FR, it's kind of like that around here. Not much noise but with the nice weather there were lots of people out walking along the bike path that parallels the river, and lots of boats on the river. Most were fishing boats just drifting so no noise from them, but there was one loud ARSEHOLE out there in his GoFastBeLoud boat letting everyone know how much he needed that compensation for other shortcomings in his life. I guess I don't see the joy in running 70mph up and down the river and making that much noise.

Justi, are you still flying or has that been stopped by the "Mexican beer virus"?

"Beachcomber" 1995 Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge

Anchor's down......Bottoms Up!
#573344 - 03/23/20 01:09 PM Re: Best take on the Coronavirus Scare yet [Re: Justification]  
Justification Offline
Admiral
Justification  Offline
Admiral

Fruit Heights, Utah
our March schedule was in the books when this hit, so our schedules didn't change, but our load factors sure did. I flew 7 people from SLC-Oakland two days ago, and 37 back.
about a week ago I was sent as a passenger from Oklahoma City to Chicago and with 7 other crew members doing the same thing. We only had 28 people on the plane.
Chicago to SLC was only 37 pax, when I normally fill up a full 76 load, with a commuting pilot in my Jumpseat.
Going forward it will be a disaster. I was supposed to get my April schedule last night, but mainline still hasn't told us what they need us to fly next month. They are offering up time off without pay (except they'll pay their portion of medical insurance as well as chip in our share of medical insurance) and we can file for state unemployment insurance. If enough people don't volunteer to do that they will then award a 2/3 pay line to stay where we pay our share of insurance, but no unemployment filing. the rest of us will either get a smaller flying line (about 20% less hours than normal) or will be on reserve for 16 Days, which will be a 25% hour reduction. Asked the kids if I should volunteer to stay home for the next few months for 50 hours pay per month and they said I'd drive them crazy being here that long, so I should work.
My company is doing everything they can do to prevent furloughs, while two regional airlines will close their doors permanently April 1st (Trans States Airlines) and April 7th (Compass Airlines).
The unknowns about how long this will last or the true fallout are stressful, but at least we've been living beneath our means, so not a whole lotta lifestyle change anticipated yet, and I have my health. might get to use this opportunity to actually get the boat out when the weather breaks. Where is it safer from the apocalypse than in the great outdoors? if there is a big enough earthquake to break the dam where we will be, our warning will be some rouge wave, and we'll have enough time to beach somewhere, where the boat will have to sit until the insurance company can figure out a way to get it back to the trailer.

#573345 - 03/23/20 06:05 PM Re: Best take on the Coronavirus Scare yet [Re: Justification]  
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
Originally Posted by Justification
The unknowns about how long this will last or the true fallout are stressful, but at least we've been living beneath our means,

That would be a tough call to make as to which of those choices would be the best one. Might be a good time to sharpen pencil and work the numbers.

The cheapskate side of me has kept us living beneath our means for quite awhile so we've been able to stockpile some bucks. I took some out of the bank last week and stuck it in the safe, just to be on the safe side because who the hell knows what the future holds.

I haven't mentioned this to GW but if there IS a positive side to this quarantining it's that now we are living WAAAAAY below our means. Except for groceries we're not buying anything. There's no place to spend money with the bars, restaurants, etc. closed. Our miles driven has dropped way off, and we've found that sitting around the house or doing yard work is pretty damn cheap.

Time will tell how we get through this. Tina won't let me go into a store with her, so Sailor and I sit in the car. She wouldn't even let me carry in the groceries from the car today. Speaking of which, she said the line in the grocery store to reach the checkouts wound all the way to the back of the store and down one long aisle. They had posted a security person at the front of the line and he would only let one person advance to a checker at a time. She said people were being courteous to each other, nobody getting mean or pushy except one fat guy in a motorized shopping cart who was bitchin' about everything. Figures.

I think the big picture of what's happening is starting to dawn on her.

Be safe everyone. Stay with your family, stay away from others and we'll all come out on the flip side of this in good shape.

#573347 - 03/23/20 09:42 PM Re: Best take on the Coronavirus Scare yet [Re: Justification]  
captkevin Online content
Admiral
Admiral

Chicago, IL
That would be a tough call Justification.

2004 Rinker 232
#573350 - 03/24/20 08:42 AM Re: Best take on the Coronavirus Scare yet [Re: Justification]  
Justification Offline
Admiral
Justification  Offline
Admiral

Fruit Heights, Utah
Since I don't use company insurance that "benefit" comes out of the equation, making the decision a bit easier to make.
Our pay is not like the normal workers pay so 50 hours pay is really about half of a normal months pay credit for me, but is actually 66% of or normal guaranteed pay.
66% pay, for zero work? Sounds like a Bernie or AOC soundbite to me.

The kids know I'll be really restless if I stay home for the next three months, so I'll end up being on call for 16 days a month, and try to pick up trips on some of my off days, and hope for the offer still being out there in June, when I'd love to take the whole month off.

#573354 - 03/24/20 11:19 AM Re: Best take on the Coronavirus Scare yet [Re: Justification]  
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
I can relate to the restlessness though I've had enough yard and house projects to do that it hasn't been too bad. The worst part of the whole thing is I'm getting darned tired of YouTube videos. I've watched enough car chases, road rage, Venture cruises and other videos to last me a lifetime and we're just getting started with this lock down.

#573397 - 04/01/20 10:18 AM Re: Best take on the Coronavirus Scare yet [Re: Justification]  
Admiral
Admiral

So last night I come upstairs from working, needed some coffee. For some reason yesterday seemed to be a particularly slow day as far as the clock moving. I told Vick "geez, I can't believe it's not even 6 o'clock yet, seems like 8 or 8:30"... She had the Nightly News on, I rewound it to the beginning. When the first commercial came on Vick got up to make coffee. A few seconds later while slouching in my recliner. I thought I could feel some very subdued rumbling. Another aftershock I thought. Only this one kept going, several seconds. It was profound enough I zeroed in on the clocks in front of me, a big grandmother clock and the John Harrison 'grasshopper' shipclock on the hearth, trying to notice any movement of the weights and pendulums. The granny clock wasn't doing anything, but the pendulums on the shipclock were swinging noticeably slower with less motion, like they do when it's about to stop when it needs winding. But I wound it Sunday night, and it's a 4-5 day clock. I was going to tell Vick I thought I felt another aftershock, but the last time I did that she bristled, 'I don't want to know!' After shutting down about 1:30 last night I sat to watch some PD before bed, and noticed the shipclock's pendulums were running full speed. Maybe I imagined the whole thing... the reason for watching the clocks, during our quake, both our grandparents clock stopped....

This morning I woke up about 6:30, too early, went back to sleep. Then I heard the house rattle, in a dream--? In the dream I told Vick "see, I told you we're still getting aftershocks-". Then I opened my eyes, what if that wasn't a dream? I turned the TV and hit the local news, just as they were finishing up the story about Idaho's 6.5 earthquake last night at 5:52pm, pretty much exactly when I felt the rumbling. The house rattling, could have been one of ours, or maybe one of Idaho's? Although last night the house didn't rattle at all. Or maybe my dream was just a dream...?

So Jim, that was closer to your neck of the woods, you feel it, doing okay? May have been closer to GFC than me, did YOU feel it, Mike?

The planet seems to be really pissed off right now...

If you haven't heard of a John Harrison clock, ours is exactly like this one in the links. I can watch it for hours smile
https://assets.catawiki.nl/assets/2017/7/13/5/0/6/506d93d3-3549-4751-8be6-49bcf8c3abaa.jpg
https://assets.catawiki.nl/assets/2017/7/13/d/4/5/d45b3c42-633a-4378-98ff-bd9c025592a8.jpg

Moderated by  Admin 

Sponsors
New Topics
How to move a barn
by Frantically Relaxing. 05/31/20 08:13 PM
GFC weather heading your way
by Silverbullet. 05/30/20 02:28 PM
Another one bites the dust.
by captkevin. 05/28/20 09:48 AM
Truck campers
by Silverbullet. 05/25/20 10:42 AM
When it Rains it Pours
by On Holiday. 05/22/20 12:48 PM
Remote access to Home Camera System
by Parrott_head. 05/14/20 09:47 AM
What is this switch for? 99 Regal 2800 Bowrider
by OntarioChris. 05/09/20 08:53 PM
Lower Drive Unit Leak - what's it take to repair?
by Rinoki21. 05/01/20 10:45 PM
four winns instrument cluster disassembly
by bjmorris. 05/01/20 06:11 AM
How's Everyone Weathering the Pandemic?
by CharlesS. 04/18/20 05:06 PM
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 45 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
cmattison, thesandmn, OntarioChris, bjmorris, boatsrmagic
5514 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23
Topics37,366
Posts564,989
Members5,515
Most Online252
Aug 5th, 2017