Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#573034 - 12/05/19 11:34 PM Back in the saddle, again....SCUBA  
Parrott_head Offline
Admiral of Vice
Parrott_head  Offline
Admiral of Vice
Admiral

I decided to get back into scuba diving after a absence of maybe 30 years. I became certified in 1985 and purchased all my gear. I did a lot of diving around Oklahoma/Texas and did some competition spear fishing. Wife became certified as well but on the day we were to do our first dive together as a couple we discovered she was with child. I screwed myself out of a dive partner.

What with kids and all that the gear just collected dust. Over the next 20+ years I only went diving maybe three times, the last time about 7 years ago in Florida.

Since the kids are grown and pretty much out of our hair (with me most things are out of my hair) I decided to get back into diving. I took my buoyancy compensater vest in for a check up and they refused to touch it because of the age. Said it was a nice museum piece.
The regulators are USDivers and are still serviceable, seems USDivers is known for keeping parts available for a long time and am having them checked out as well.
My tanks are Luxfer brand and were subject to a recall. It seems the aluminium alloy they were made of can fatigue over time. For this reason they have to do a careful inspection of the neck area and hydro test them. Like any other tank really.

The dive shop was having a Black Friday sale on rental gear and some consignment gear from customers. I picked up a nearly new AquaLung ProHD vest.
I still need to get a personal dive computer.
I installed reading glasses lenses on my original mask, it has always been a comfortable mask and done well for me.

I will take a reintroduction class as soon as my gear gets out of the shop. I will need to learn how the new vest works as the lead weights are no longer on a belt on your waist but are built into panels of the vest. Not sure how I'm going to like putting a vest on with the weight of the tank and the lead in them. I may have to keep using a weigh belt.

I'm going to combine this with our RV travels.

Anyway, I just thought I would pop in and share this with ya'll.

Take care.

Former owner of a 2002 Four Winns 234 FunShip
'16 F250 4x4 Oil Burner
"Hey, if I'm a Vice Admiral, which vice do I get to claim?"
A Word from Our Sponsors
#573036 - 12/06/19 01:18 PM Re: Back in the saddle, again....SCUBA [Re: Parrott_head]  
WayWeGo Online content
Admiral
WayWeGo  Online Content
Admiral

Oakton, VA
Originally Posted by Parrott_head
I screwed myself out of a dive partner.

Now that is just too funny!

Diving sounds like a fun addition to your RV adventures. I took a certification class when I was a teenager but did not have the financial resources for my open water dives, so never got the card. Been thinking about getting certified so that I can dive on vacations and to maintain our boat.

[Linked Image]
1975 Trojan F36 Convertible, Twin Chrysler 440's
2014 West Marine AL360 Inflatable, 1966 Mercury 6HP, 1992 Mercury 20HP
#573041 - 12/07/19 01:37 AM Re: Back in the saddle, again....SCUBA [Re: Parrott_head]  
Frantically Relaxing Online content
Admiral
Frantically Relaxing  Online Content
Admiral

SCUBA is a dirty word for me...

Our harbor's previous owner took some SCUBA classes one day. He loved it so much he went thru the regimen to become a licensed instructor. He began holding classes at a nearby school (I think), and soon was doing dive training at The Crater, which is about a 20 mile drive from the harbor, and costs money to use. So he decided to hold classes at the harbor in the store, but (as I understand it) students balked because the other classroom was closer to them AND the crater. So he rents a place closer to hold classes, and it's big enough to sell equipment from, so now he's moved into selling the stuff too. Not satisfied with The Crater (it's busy, the cost, etc) he decides to excavate his own dive pond at the harbor, enlarging an existing small pond to around 60' x 100', and 20' deep (twice as deep as the lake!) -Meanwhile, he has to spend money he doesn't have acquiring some product to sell. And he leases a big diesel air tank filler upper. Meanwhile part 2, the few local already-in-the-business shops get wind that he's trying to horn in on their business. Meanwhile part 3, the pond fills up, and promptly becomes a moss, algae and many-other-random-seaweed-species farm, not too conducive for diving... He picks up a few students and sells a few items, and places an order for more stuff. Dive stuff place: Sorry, but the ******* ******** down the street, aka your competition, will dump us if we sell to you. So all we can sell to you is what they don't buy from us, which is pretty much everything we sell. Meanwhile part 4, bad snow year = water levels and biz are down at the harbor. And-- some other stuff I won't mention here, requiring more $$$, breaks the camels back. So he sells the harbor to our new owner.

---who wants us to pack up our houseboat and take it somewhere else, which totally upends our retirement plans...

So yeah, SCUBA is a four letter word around here... wink

#573042 - 12/07/19 09:42 AM Re: Back in the saddle, again....SCUBA [Re: WayWeGo]  
Justification Online content
Admiral
Justification  Online Content
Admiral

Fruit Heights, Utah
Originally Posted by WayWeGo
I screwed myself out of a dive partner.

Now that is just too funny!

My thoughts exactly. Pun intended?

Was never as involved as PH, but did get certified in college. Best class with the best grades I ever got, but that's not really saying much as the rest of my grades were pretty bad. Both kids took a class in college with the hopes we'd go together, so I got re-certified a couple years ago, but have not been able to find the time to actually go.

The prescription goggles sound like a worthwhile investment.

Beer makes you feel the way
You should feel without beer.
#573043 - 12/08/19 04:24 PM Re: Back in the saddle, again....SCUBA [Re: Parrott_head]  
MarkHB Offline
Dressed for dinner
MarkHB  Offline
Dressed for dinner
Admiral

Norris Lake, TN
I too was certified about 30 years ago. I was very active diving everyday after work on the reefs 20ft from my house I was living in at the time, (provided by my employer). I was living on Bougainville Island in the Sth Pacific at the time. A lot of deep diving and night diving. Deep diving was on the various WW2 wrecks, both Man of War and cargo freighters. After the civil war broke out and I escaped by hitch hiking boat to boat, island to island down to Guadalcanal in the Solomon Islands. Stayed there a few months diving on submarines, planes etc.
After coming to the US, the water being cold (in the 60's), married, child, work and life I have not dived since. Thinking about getting back into it when I move to my lake house in TN.

24' Monterey Explorer
Honda PWC
http://www.picturetrail.com/markhb

Golf!! Waste of a good gun range.
#573044 - 12/09/19 07:59 AM Re: Back in the saddle, again....SCUBA [Re: Parrott_head]  
On Holiday Offline
Daddy
On Holiday  Offline
Daddy
Admiral

PA and Smith Mountain Lake
I did some SCUBA in a pool while on our honeymoon, not something I want to spend my money on so I never continued. A friend of mine was big into diving, he was once out on a fishing trip and his buddy asked if he has a Coke he could drink. My buddy opened up his cooler and said yes, it will be $5.00. His buddy said you can get them for $0.50. My buddy puts his hand to his forehead and says "Do you see a Coke machine around here?" He received his $5. A few years later the two were out diving and my buddy needed an O ring. He asked if his friend if he had an O ring and of course he did and quickly stated it will be $10.00. His friend puts his hand to his forehead and says "do you see an o-ring machine around here? My buddy paid the $10 and hopefully learned a lesson on greed.

2017 Honda Accord Hybrid
2008 Honda Goldwing Trike
2006 Regal 2400
2004 Dodge Ram 2500
2003 Ford F-150
2002 Harley Davidson Roadking Classic

#573050 - 12/12/19 03:33 PM Re: Back in the saddle, again....SCUBA [Re: Parrott_head]  
Parrott_head Offline
Admiral of Vice
Parrott_head  Offline
Admiral of Vice
Admiral

Well seems my regulators failed the inspection. I went in to see what they had found and there are some parts that typically can be reused that have corrosion on them. A primary spring in my second stage regulator has two serious cracks in it. To rebuild everything would cost what a good, modern second hand rig would run with fresh inspection. So I'm going to go that route. They say my backup regulator is fine and can be moved to my new rig.

I'm hoping my body does better than my gear. On the plus (or minus side) I have lost about 11 pounds so far in my quest to get back into my wet suit.

14 more pounds to go, roughly....

'16 F250 4x4 Oil Burner
#573208 - 02/07/20 12:29 AM Re: Back in the saddle, again....SCUBA [Re: Parrott_head]  
Parrott_head Offline
Admiral of Vice
Parrott_head  Offline
Admiral of Vice
Admiral

Well I got my regulators now. I purchased some used rental equipment that had been freshly serviced. Two generations newer than what I had previous.
Dropped by the shop where I got certified at back in the '80s and signed up for a refresher class. I have to do all the book work again but just one pool dive to pass.
I could skip it if I wanted to but I would rather be safe than sorry.
I need to purchase a PDC, Personal Dive Computer. In the stone age we used charts and stuff. Trouble was you had to use you maximum depth to figure your nitrogen, even if you just bounced off that depth and spent the remainder of the time at half that. The PDC keep a much more accurate track of things and due to this will allow you more bottom time. The owner of the shop told me I should get a couple of dives in to get back up to speed then come in for the NITROX class. NITROX allow more bottom time as it is a blended gas with lower nitrogen levels than atmospheric gas. I will start my online course this weekend, do the pool dive first weekend in March.

Wish me luck..

'16 F250 4x4 Oil Burner
#573212 - 02/07/20 03:04 PM Re: Back in the saddle, again....SCUBA [Re: Parrott_head]  
Dock Holiday Online content
Admiral
Dock Holiday  Online Content
Admiral

Lake Geneva, WI
I decided to get back into scuba diving after a absence of maybe 30 years. I became certified in 1985 and purchased all my gear.

Similar story here. I became PADI certified in High School and purchased all of my gear (had a job and no expenses back then). However, none of my friends were divers, diving in the Midwest is just pointless, I could not afford to go anywhere that had good diving, so I ended up not diving (just snorkeling occasionally on vacations). Would love to get back into diving. I wonder how much the equipment has improved.

#573214 - 02/08/20 02:08 AM Re: Back in the saddle, again....SCUBA [Re: Dock Holiday]  
Parrott_head Offline
Admiral of Vice
Parrott_head  Offline
Admiral of Vice
Admiral

Originally Posted by Dock Holiday

Similar story here. I became PADI certified in High School and purchased all of my gear (had a job and no expenses back then). However, none of my friends were divers, diving in the Midwest is just pointless, I could not afford to go anywhere that had good diving, so I ended up not diving (just snorkeling occasionally on vacations). Would love to get back into diving. I wonder how much the equipment has improved.

Well my BC is different. It has two panel built into the front for the weight and two smaller ones in the back for tank weight. They say it is much better than weight belts for buoyancy adjustment. The regulator I have now is two generations improved but my old one was an easy breathing unit so I don't know how much that can improve.

'16 F250 4x4 Oil Burner

Moderated by  Admin 

Sponsors
New Topics
Some birthdays on the Forum Today
by Jack T. 04/02/20 06:53 PM
Is your lake open?
by Senoj. 04/02/20 08:04 AM
Shots fired call
by GoFirstClass. 04/01/20 03:32 PM
My 2020 boat project plans
by Dave R. 03/27/20 01:58 PM
Animal chewed hole in boat lift air tank
by Autojock2002. 03/25/20 04:37 PM
Boys Weekend
by On Holiday. 03/18/20 09:13 AM
Have you seen this video?
by GoFirstClass. 03/15/20 03:05 PM
Best take on the Coronavirus Scare yet
by Justification. 03/11/20 07:42 PM
You check your oil, have you checked your PSA lately?
by GoFirstClass. 03/01/20 12:08 AM
Yacht Clubs--good or bad idea
by GoFirstClass. 01/20/20 10:22 PM
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 77 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Autojock2002, Lee_Ohmart, Chevyman67, Boatnuck, Austinorson
5503 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23
Topics37,349
Posts564,762
Members5,503
Most Online252
Aug 5th, 2017