Rate This Thread
#573025 - 11/27/19 08:37 PM Happy Thanksgiving  
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
I'm reasonably certain that most of us on here have plenty to be thankful for so, with this Thanksgiving holiday approaching let me wish you all a very happy Thanksgiving. It's a nice time to remember those who have much less than we do.

"Beachcomber" 1995 Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge

Anchor's down......Bottoms Up!
#573026 - 11/28/19 07:52 AM Re: Happy Thanksgiving [Re: GoFirstClass]  
MarkHB Offline
Dressed for dinner
MarkHB  Offline
Dressed for dinner
Admiral

CA
I know that as a dopey, uneducated bum I have managed to scrape out a very nice living. For that I feel very blessed and lucky.
Most of all I am extremely thankful for my wife and daughter who have motivated me, slapped me down when I get a little cocky and sticking by me all these years. She must be mentally unstable to have married me.
Alluding to GFC's comment about those who have less than we do, there are a heck of a lot who struggle daily to make ends meet, health issues, etc, etc etc, I do remember those folks and I know some of them.

Take Care everyone and enjoy your time with family and or those you love.

"Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity.” – Melody Beatti

24' Monterey Explorer
Honda PWC
http://www.picturetrail.com/markhb

Golf!! Waste of a good gun range.
#573027 - 11/28/19 03:48 PM Re: Happy Thanksgiving [Re: GoFirstClass]  
captkevin Offline
Admiral
captkevin  Offline
Admiral

Chicago, IL
Happy Thanksgiving to all. It is a nice reminder for us all to take account of how fortunate we are.

2004 Rinker 232
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Laramie 4x4
#573028 - 11/29/19 07:24 PM Re: Happy Thanksgiving [Re: GoFirstClass]  
Frantically Relaxing Offline
Admiral
Frantically Relaxing  Offline
Admiral

I did the math the other day, and while we make a respectable amount of money, it works out to around $15.80 an hour... and that's not counting the wife's hours...

But we're happy, and thankful! I was happy for yesterday, it was my first full day off this year... wink

Last edited by Frantically Relaxing; 11/29/19 07:30 PM.

[Linked Image]
#573029 - 12/01/19 04:09 PM Re: Happy Thanksgiving [Re: GoFirstClass]  
Justification Online content
Admiral
Justification  Online Content
Admiral

Fruit Heights, Utah
Sometimes it's better to not know how the soup is made, only that the soup is good. Focus on the soup FR and ignore the amount of prep work needed eh? Glad you finally got a day off.
I keep promising myself less work, more play, but as my hourly rate has gone up, those additional hours just mean more that any hour I don't work is lost opportunity, but then the end of the boating season shows up and I realize I wasted another year. Maybe next year I'll keep my promise to actually get the boat out more.
Thankful to have a job I enjoy, that my rug rats still enjoy our company for the most part, and that my fathers health scare this year is mostly resolved and that I got to fly him and my mom to our house for thanksgiving. They both got first class seats with me as their pilot, and as is normal, they brought much needed snow to prepare the lakes for next year.

Beer makes you feel the way
You should feel without beer.
#573031 - 12/05/19 01:33 AM Re: Happy Thanksgiving [Re: GoFirstClass]  
athiker Offline
Admiral
athiker  Offline
Admiral

Lake Norman, NC
Thankful for this forum and community. Very thankful for having a solid business partner going on 9 years now. We have, against the odds, somehow made a 50/50 business partnership work and become good friends along the way. Extremely thankful for my immediate family, extended family and friends. Wishing all a great holiday season, smooth waters and happy New Year!

2000 Cobalt 206 5.7L EFI Alpha 1
#573032 - 12/05/19 02:39 AM Re: Happy Thanksgiving [Re: GoFirstClass]  
Admiral
Admiral

So this afternoon around 3:15 or so, our not quite yet grandson-in-law (Garrison) and father of our first great-grandchild (Orion), was at work today (an outdoor maintenance place, don't know much about it)- seems a big compressor on an overhead-ish shelf needed to come down and be put in a truck. He complained they needed a forklift to get it down. Since one wasn't handy, the boss figured they (not sure how many was helping yet) could get it down themselves.

Nope.

About 3:30 he calls Alicia, who was here today with the baby, and explains an ambulance is on its way to pick him up because a big compressor fell on him, and now he can't move his legs..

Alicia takes an Uber to the hospital, and around 5pm she calls the wife. A social worker relayed the findings of the x-rays, and after some clarification: the accident fractured his spine, and severed his spinal cord.

It's now about 6 hours later, the only further info we've gotten is, internal injuries were minor, he's on pain meds and will be going into surgery in the morning, and the good news, they believe he'll be able to go to the bathroom normally. He's all of 22 years old, Jesus.

-but we ARE all thankful, it very well could've been much worse, he's also got a head full of staples to prove it...

Hug your kids, you just never know...

[Linked Image]
#573033 - 12/05/19 10:54 AM Re: Happy Thanksgiving [Re: GoFirstClass]  
athiker Offline
Admiral
athiker  Offline
Admiral

Lake Norman, NC
Wow, that hurts reading this. I am so sorry to hear. Warehouse accidents are one of our biggest worries...we constantly stress no time saving is worth a crash onto an unforgiving concrete floor...or having something fall. In fact we have outsourced to 3PLs most of the larger heavy stuff we ship....and recently consolidated with one company who seems to do things right based on our visits. I come from a probability based background and tell our warehouse staff that a small risk simply means it takes more repetitions before something happens, but it will happen given enough reps...and the consequences can be so huge that it is not worth the risk...so strap up and use the right tools to make that risk as tiny as possible. My business partner is from the fire/emergency services area and has seen the results of countless accidents first hand so we are in complete agreement in this area.

Will be hugging my kids tighter and hoping for the best for your family...this really hits home for me and makes my heart hurt for you and your granddaughter, and of course Garrison...I also can't imagine being in that boss's shoes right now...actually I can, and I don't ever want to be.

2000 Cobalt 206 5.7L EFI Alpha 1
#573035 - Yesterday at 12:14 PM Re: Happy Thanksgiving [Re: GoFirstClass]  
WayWeGo Offline
Admiral
WayWeGo  Offline
Admiral

Oakton, VA
FR, that sounds terrible! I hope he is able to maintain a positive attitude through this extremely difficult time.

HBO recently showed a documentary about pro mountain biker Paul Basagoitia's spinal cord injury that also featured a number of other people with similar injuries. It was called Any One of Us and was a real eye opener to me. I don't know if that might be helpful to any of you, but might be worth looking at.

You guys will be in my thoughts and prayers.

1975 Trojan F36 Convertible, Twin Chrysler 440's
2014 West Marine AL360 Inflatable, 1966 Mercury 6HP, 1992 Mercury 20HP
#573037 - Yesterday at 12:18 PM Re: Happy Thanksgiving [Re: GoFirstClass]  
captkevin Offline
Admiral
captkevin  Offline
Admiral

Chicago, IL
Frantic that is a terrible event. Sending you are best wishes.

2004 Rinker 232
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Laramie 4x4
#573039 - Yesterday at 03:22 PM Re: Happy Thanksgiving [Re: GoFirstClass]  
Admiral
Admiral

Thanks for the well-wishes, and I'll check into that documentary. He had his spine fixed yesterday, no brain damage or other internal issues so THAT'S good, but nothing they can do about the cord. Turns out he doesn't work for an outdoor maintenance place, he's employed by a nationwide company, 'vehicle service' is all I feel comfortable mentioning, and he was part of the grounds-keeping crew.

From 2nd hand info he's seems to be in good spirits considering...

[Linked Image]
#573040 - Yesterday at 03:39 PM Re: Happy Thanksgiving [Re: GoFirstClass]  
Justification Online content
Admiral
Justification  Online Content
Admiral

Fruit Heights, Utah
So tough to hear about. Glad he's coping well so far.
Hopefully with a large nation wide company he will have good care available to him during his rehab and long term needs.

Beer makes you feel the way
You should feel without beer.

Moderated by  Admin 

Sponsors
New Topics
Back in the saddle, again....SCUBA
by Parrott_head. 12/05/19 10:34 PM
Happy Thanksgiving
by GoFirstClass. 11/27/19 08:37 PM
It never hurts to ask
by GoFirstClass. 11/21/19 07:29 PM
Chevy truck Rear Disk Brake dust shield
by Justification. 11/16/19 09:35 AM
Prop decisions
by Fourwinnsjoly. 11/12/19 07:44 PM
Weekend at the Lake
by On Holiday. 11/11/19 01:04 PM
California is burning up. Mark, are you OK?
by GoFirstClass. 11/01/19 10:55 PM
.Winterized
by On Holiday. 10/28/19 02:13 PM
A forum I always come back to
by Senoj. 10/08/19 04:57 PM
Stupid Subaru Design
by Justification. 08/27/18 11:41 AM
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 72 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Fourwinnsjoly, IamCDN, billfish3r, HankB, Jenny285
5496 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23
Topics37,321
Posts564,340
Members5,497
Most Online252
Aug 5th, 2017