Your On-Line Port'o'Call

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#572980 - 11/16/19 09:35 AM Chevy truck Rear Disk Brake dust shield  
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 3,881
Justification Online content
Admiral
Justification  Online Content
Admiral

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 3,881
Fruit Heights, Utah
In the competition with GFC for being the resident cheapskate, I have inherited (from my oldest after he bought his Challenger) the admirals 2002 Tahoe as my Daily driver. only 17 years old and 182,000 miles on it, so it's one of the newer cars in our fleet.
Anyway, I've been hearing a scrapping sound lately and finally narrowed it down to the rear brake dust shield that has rusted out and is scrapping against the brake disk. Word of advice for any of you other Cheapskate DIYers, there are two different styles of replacement dust shield available. The stock one is the one piece dust shield that means removing the rear axle to replace. the other option is a two piece unit that is more expensive, but in the long run is cheaper to replace cause you don't need to break into the rear differential to pull the axles. You guessed it, I had ordered the one piece unit from Rock Auto before doing research on how to replace the shield, then found the easier method while waiting for the parts to arrive. Haven't ever had to return parts to Rock auto, but these will be heading back as soon as they get here.
Not sure which other trucks use this dust shield, but the guy at the local parts house said it is a fairly common problem.


Beer makes you feel the way
You should feel without beer.
A Word from Our Sponsors
#572981 - 11/17/19 12:38 PM Re: Chevy truck Rear Disk Brake dust shield [Re: Justification]  
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 15,295
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 15,295
Pasco, WA
Oh PSHAW, 17 years old? That's a relative newborn compared to my 1998 Exploder. Sorry Justi, but I don't have any info to offer you except that you have a loooooong way to go to be a competitor to the title of resident BABC Cheapskate.


"Beachcomber" 1995 Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge


Anchor's down......Bottoms Up!
#572983 - 11/17/19 03:56 PM Re: Chevy truck Rear Disk Brake dust shield [Re: Justification]  
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 3,881
Justification Online content
Admiral
Justification  Online Content
Admiral

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 3,881
Fruit Heights, Utah
I'll see your 98 Exploder with a 97 F-150, and raise you my 91 Chevy I'm off to the parts store in to get the lug stud for the Lesbaru.


Beer makes you feel the way
You should feel without beer.
#572984 - 11/17/19 07:02 PM Re: Chevy truck Rear Disk Brake dust shield [Re: Justification]  
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 15,295
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 15,295
Pasco, WA
OK, I'm now embarrassed , and rightly so. Good luck with the brakes on your "new" truck.


"Beachcomber" 1995 Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge


Anchor's down......Bottoms Up!
#572985 - 11/17/19 07:18 PM Re: Chevy truck Rear Disk Brake dust shield [Re: Justification]  
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 7,632
captkevin Offline
Admiral
captkevin  Offline
Admiral

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 7,632
Chicago, IL
You guys are my inspiration. Just got rid of my 2002 Dodge Ram daily driver with 194k on the clock. Only got rid of it because my dad bought a new car & passed me on a 2006 Infinity M35 awd with 46k on it. Could it pass it up & price was right. Nice upgrade for me at no cost was a no brainer. Should be able to get some good years out of it. Might get me some cheap skate credit.

Last edited by captkevin; 11/18/19 12:43 PM.

2004 Rinker 232
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Laramie 4x4
#572986 - 11/18/19 12:26 AM Re: Chevy truck Rear Disk Brake dust shield [Re: Justification]  
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 11,870
Frantically Relaxing Offline
Admiral
Frantically Relaxing  Offline
Admiral

Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 11,870
1976 Harley Sportster, 6k miles since re-do in '97 (bought in 1992)
1989 Mustang GT Convertible 101k miles (bought in 1994)
1987 Sea Ray (bought in 1998)
2002 F-250 61k miles (bought new)
1984 Goldwing Aspencade 38k miles (bought in 2003 I think it was)
1996 Party Cruiser (bought in 05)
1988 SkipperLiner (bought in '06)
--etc etc--

-- my vehicles probably think I own the Hotel California.. wink


[Linked Image]
#572987 - 11/19/19 02:35 PM Re: Chevy truck Rear Disk Brake dust shield [Re: Justification]  
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 9,002
Silverbullet Offline
Admiral
Silverbullet  Offline
Admiral

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 9,002
Boise, ID
Can't beat GGC, but I can play.

1988 suburban driven a lot.
Wife's 2000 Subaru is about to roll 200k miles.
Newest is 2007 chevy truck.

Hoping to add a late 80s toyota truck to the fleet.


James
2002 Cobalt 226 VP 8.1GIDP
2007 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax
1988 Suburban 3/4 Ton
2000 Subaru Forester


#572989 - 11/19/19 03:38 PM Re: Chevy truck Rear Disk Brake dust shield [Re: Justification]  
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 6,529
On Holiday Offline
Daddy
On Holiday  Offline
Daddy
Admiral

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 6,529
PA and Smith Mountain Lake
If you're really a cheapskate, can you cut the one piece dust shield and then re-weld it once on?


2017 Honda Accord Hybrid
2008 Honda Goldwing Trike
2006 Regal 2400
2004 Dodge Ram 2500
2003 Ford F-150
2002 Harley Davidson Roadking Classic


#572990 - 11/19/19 09:08 PM Re: Chevy truck Rear Disk Brake dust shield [Re: Justification]  
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 3,881
Justification Online content
Admiral
Justification  Online Content
Admiral

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 3,881
Fruit Heights, Utah
Now why didn't I think of that? What a great excuse to buy a TIG welder and learn how to use it.
Isn't that what most projects really are, an excuse to buy more tools?


Beer makes you feel the way
You should feel without beer.
#572991 - 11/19/19 09:46 PM Re: Chevy truck Rear Disk Brake dust shield [Re: Justification]  
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,177
casualboater Offline
Admiral
casualboater  Offline
Admiral

Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,177
Highland, Michigan
I have a split personality this way. I have a fair number of tools - but no question I've saved tons of money by doing work myself.

My split - I'm proud when I can do a particular job with the tools and materials I have on hand. However, I also am quite happy to add something new to the arsenal when the job requires it or is make much easier with said new tool.

It's a blessing and a curse, what can I say.


1989 Larson DC 190
2017 GMC Acadia SLT-1
#572992 - 11/19/19 10:59 PM Re: Chevy truck Rear Disk Brake dust shield [Re: Justification]  
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 9,002
Silverbullet Offline
Admiral
Silverbullet  Offline
Admiral

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 9,002
Boise, ID
Originally Posted by Justification
In the competition with GFC for being the resident cheapskate, I have inherited (from my oldest after he bought his Challenger) the admirals 2002 Tahoe as my Daily driver. only 17 years old and 182,000 miles on it, so it's one of the newer cars in our fleet.
Anyway, I've been hearing a scrapping sound lately and finally narrowed it down to the rear brake dust shield that has rusted out and is scrapping against the brake disk. Word of advice for any of you other Cheapskate DIYers, there are two different styles of replacement dust shield available. The stock one is the one piece dust shield that means removing the rear axle to replace. the other option is a two piece unit that is more expensive, but in the long run is cheaper to replace cause you don't need to break into the rear differential to pull the axles. You guessed it, I had ordered the one piece unit from Rock Auto before doing research on how to replace the shield, then found the easier method while waiting for the parts to arrive. Haven't ever had to return parts to Rock auto, but these will be heading back as soon as they get here.
Not sure which other trucks use this dust shield, but the guy at the local parts house said it is a fairly common problem.

Originally Posted by Justification
Now why didn't I think of that? What a great excuse to buy a TIG welder and learn how to use it.
Isn't that what most projects really are, an excuse to buy more tools?


That's thinking. I just bought a 32' ladder to get up to the chimney cap. Have you ever been up on a 32' ladder. Me neither. I'm calling a roofer tomorrow.

Good point on the replacement piece vs the original. Sometimes, in our quest for the "original" or "best" we miss the obvious. How much work to change this if I have to R&R all this other stuff.


James
2002 Cobalt 226 VP 8.1GIDP
2007 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax
1988 Suburban 3/4 Ton
2000 Subaru Forester


#572995 - 11/20/19 02:12 AM Re: Chevy truck Rear Disk Brake dust shield [Re: Justification]  
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 3,975
Jack T Offline
Admiral
Jack T  Offline
Admiral

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 3,975
Southern California
Just flatten out a beer can or two, form it to the old shield and pop rivet the pieces together. Or, use epoxy (won't rust). Should last a couple years. GFC: ever hear of this trick? Are you the originator?


Have a great day of boating
2012 Monterey 224 FS,
300 HP Volvo Penta with catalytic converters

#572997 - 11/21/19 01:19 PM Re: Chevy truck Rear Disk Brake dust shield [Re: Justification]  
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 15,295
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 15,295
Pasco, WA
Originally Posted by Silverbullet
That's thinking. I just bought a 32' ladder to get up to the chimney cap. Have you ever been up on a 32' ladder. Me neither. I'm calling a roofer tomorrow.


Once. I was in high school and painting the next door neighbor's house. The 32' (guesstimate) ladder didn't quite reach the peak on the second story of their house so I put the base of the ladder up waaaay to close to the house. I climbed it with a gallon paint can in hand and very gingerly started slapping paint on the peak. About 5 minutes into it I could feel the ladder starting to tip back ward. I slide about half way down the ladder before I jumped to the side, just in time to get clear of the ladder as it fell on their grass. Scared the crap clean out of me.


Originally Posted by JackT
Just flatten out a beer can or two, form it to the old shield and pop rivet the pieces together. Or, use epoxy (won't rust). Should last a couple years. GFC: ever hear of this trick? Are you the originator?

Not that trick, but I do use epoxy and Gorilla Glue to repair many things that otherwise would be thrown out and replaced with something new. Gorilla Glue is wonderful stuff.


"Beachcomber" 1995 Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge


Anchor's down......Bottoms Up!

Moderated by  Admin 

Sponsors
New Topics
Back in the saddle, again....SCUBA
by Parrott_head. 12/05/19 10:34 PM
Happy Thanksgiving
by GoFirstClass. 11/27/19 08:37 PM
It never hurts to ask
by GoFirstClass. 11/21/19 07:29 PM
Chevy truck Rear Disk Brake dust shield
by Justification. 11/16/19 09:35 AM
Prop decisions
by Fourwinnsjoly. 11/12/19 07:44 PM
Weekend at the Lake
by On Holiday. 11/11/19 01:04 PM
California is burning up. Mark, are you OK?
by GoFirstClass. 11/01/19 10:55 PM
.Winterized
by On Holiday. 10/28/19 02:13 PM
A forum I always come back to
by Senoj. 10/08/19 04:57 PM
Stupid Subaru Design
by Justification. 08/27/18 11:41 AM
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 72 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Fourwinnsjoly, IamCDN, billfish3r, HankB, Jenny285
5496 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23
Topics37,321
Posts564,340
Members5,497
Most Online252
Aug 5th, 2017
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0