Thanks again for all the replies, and I'm sure they will help with future issues when they come. So I went down to the boat about 2 weeks ago and spent a good while trying to get the large rubber hoses off of the risers to check the exhaust flappers. There was no way to get them off w/o unbolting and removing the actual metal risers, which would require redoing the gaskets, etc. I was still dealing w/ post-op knee issues so could not spend all day in the engine well. I could not find a valve to check the fuel pressure, so it looked like that was going to require cutting in the fuel line. I did check the fuel spray cone with the flame arrestor off and it looked complete and strong.
So fast forward I caved and called a mechanic, who of course was backed up 2 weeks.
He just called and the said the boat is running great....and the culprit was....this is very embarrassing....spark plugs. He also cleaned the distributor cap but said it looked pretty good. That had been recently changed when I replaced the ignition sensor assembly back in 2017.
I had bought new plugs and wires a couple years back and asked a different mechanic to install them as part of another service call and he did the wires but told me I had the wrong plugs. I never got around to changing the plugs partly b/c the boat was running fine at the time. Guess it caught up to me.
Lesson learned, check the plugs and distributor cap first before diving in too deep....the basics.
I guess it threw me b/c it seemed to run fine at idle and cruising speed, and was more of an acceleration issue at first so I thought fuel delivery. The very last time I took it out though it was feeling a little rough at cruising speed, so much so that I got worried and turned around.
Again, thanks for the input and just wanted to conclude with the apparent fix....will know for sure when I take it out this evening or this weekend.