Rate This Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#563376 - 01/15/16 05:07 PM Re: Hunting and fishing thread [Re: Silverbullet]  
No Agenda Offline
Vice Admiral
No Agenda  Offline
Vice Admiral

Northern California
Lowrider. Iím so in agreement over the AR. If I really wanted a 223, Iíd choose a Mini-14 anyday. Back in the day, I did some long range competition stuff using an M-14. So Iím a little partial to that design.

Interesting that the fps didnít change at all when dropping a grain under a max load. Somewhat slow powder may mean that the bullet is long gone out the barrel before complete burn takes place in the 1911. Likely to see a small difference in the long gun. Maybe not.

Took me a while in my younger days to figure out that many of the old standard calibers like the 270, 308 Win, 30-06, and even my old 30-30 were most accurate at slower speeds. The magnums like my 308 Norma likes heavy bullets (200+) pushed really hard. My 300 Win Mag eats 180ís at any speed with negligible group size changes. I generally stay 1 gr under max or more just to keep the pressure down and not shoot out the throat on the expensive guns.

No Agenda
'04 Reinell 204
'99 Yamaha 1200
'05 Ram 2500 Cummins 4x4
'15 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1 Admiral, 5 kids, 1 grandkid, 4 dogs, 8 cats, 26 pigs, 40 chickens, & 3 acres of fresh air.
A Word from Our Sponsors
#563379 - 01/16/16 08:26 AM Re: Hunting and fishing thread [Re: Silverbullet]  
Lowrider78 Offline
Admiral
Lowrider78  Offline
Admiral

Newton Ks
A lot of people report to me rifles that shoot best a bit below "the ceiling".

On the other hand, my hunting rifle is, as noted pages ago, Dad's BAR, and that girl prefers it driven hard.

The mid-range loads that will cycle it, shoot 4-5" patterns, not groups, and sends them all several inches to one side.

As velocities and pressures climb, she tightens up and the shots come back to bore-axis.

She groups tightest (usually under 1" @ 100 yards) basically right up on the top velocities, primers solidly FLAT (but no cratering or headstamp deformation), and this has proven to be the case from 150gr bullets right on down. I have never fed her anything heavier, have never needed to.

That is the great thing with loading for rifle, you can find what the rifle really likes, and turn a so-so disappointment into a solid shooter oftentimes.

I even have a 3/4" grouping 52gr accelerator sabot load for that rifle (it won't cycle the action).

Got no deer this year, bummer, it happens every once in a while, the way it goes.

That streak that howled by? That was me. Did ya like the roostertail? Big Blocks and Jets Forever
1978 Hawiian 20' Bowrider, 454, Dominator pump
1990 Magnum Mach 1 24' Cuddy Cabin Cruiser, 454, Bravo 1 drive.
1993 Suburban 454 tows the Mach 1 to water.
2001 Blazer 4x4 4.3L gets the Hawaiian wet.
#563386 - 01/17/16 12:04 AM Re: Hunting and fishing thread [Re: Silverbullet]  
BToran Offline
Admiral
BToran  Offline
Admiral

Northport, New York
well, my press, dies, and supplies arrived. i don't yet have a dedicated loading room, so i'm using some space in my garage/workshop. i set up the press with a bench plate so it is easy on/off. things that go boom are stored in my safe and taken out when needed.

i calibrated the dies and made up a total of 20 rounds in 3 different loads (4.8, 5.2, and 5.4 gr of hp38 under a 125 gr lrnfp). all were made in single-stage mode and i weighed and measured each case after it was filled. all are sized correctly and cycle through my rifle very well. there were no squibs or double-loads. i marked the cases and took notes on each type of load. tomorrow i'm heading to the range to sight in the rifle (i changed the rear sight) and test the loads.

some pictures of the new sight picture and loading setup...

Bruce Toran
Former Owner of a 1996 Carver 320 Voyager
-----------------------------------------
"Don't Eat Anything Bigger Than Your Head"
#563418 - 01/19/16 04:10 AM Re: Hunting and fishing thread [Re: BToran]  
Silverbullet Offline
Admiral
Silverbullet  Offline
Admiral

Boise, ID
Originally Posted By: BToran

Your shop is too clean.

James
2002 Cobalt 226 VP 8.1GIDP
2007 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax
1988 Suburban 3/4 Ton
2000 Subaru Forester

#563421 - 01/19/16 01:30 PM Re: Hunting and fishing thread [Re: Silverbullet]  
Justification Offline
Admiral
Justification  Offline
Admiral

Fruit Heights, Utah
Is that a Porche?

Messy Garage Dave

Beer makes you feel the way
You should feel without beer.
#563428 - 01/19/16 02:55 PM Re: Hunting and fishing thread [Re: Silverbullet]  
No Agenda Offline
Vice Admiral
No Agenda  Offline
Vice Admiral

Northern California
Interesting sight arrangement. I'm thinking of an Open sight for the 25-50 yd distances and adding a tang type peep sight for the 50-100 yd ranges.

My shop started life as a big room too. Then I discovered that wood dust and gun stuff don't go well together. Compounded the problem somewhat with the occassional welding activities. Then there were the years of fooling around with R/C airplanes generating plenty of balsa dust. Starting walling off areas like the Gun Room, the Airplane Room, the Woodshop, etc. That eventually became a maze that I couldn't fit anything into anymore. So nowadays it is a big room with a corner walled off as the Gun Room. But nowhere near as neat as what you got!

No Agenda
'04 Reinell 204
'99 Yamaha 1200
'05 Ram 2500 Cummins 4x4
'15 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1 Admiral, 5 kids, 1 grandkid, 4 dogs, 8 cats, 26 pigs, 40 chickens, & 3 acres of fresh air.
#563443 - 01/21/16 03:30 AM Re: Hunting and fishing thread [Re: Silverbullet]  
Silverbullet Offline
Admiral
Silverbullet  Offline
Admiral

Boise, ID
Went hunting last Friday morning (played preapproved hookie) for quail and cottontail. Ended up with a couple more to add to the freezer. Only 9 more days of quail season. In the evening we went out for chukar. Saw a ton of deer and turkey. Saw some ducks. No chukar or quail.

Saturday, we went ice fishing at a youth fishing even held by Idaho Youth Outdoors. It was a pretty good event though there was a lot of snow this year. Made for a bit of a longer drive. I went with a buddy and we had 3 kids total. You could show up and they had everything you would need. Bucket to sit on, rod, bait, hot chocolate, filet station, hot dogs, and someone to drill holes.

Of course, being the equipment junkie that I am, we had what we needed.

We ended up with 1 Rainbow Trout which I ate tonight. It was a slow day for most. Could have been the storm and could have been the hundreds of people walking around on the ice.

Ice fishing box.

Ice fishing sled, AKA Smitty Sled

Loaded sled

Kids ready to pull the sled. Mine is in the red coat.

James
1988 Suburban 3/4 Ton
2000 Subaru Forester

#563445 - 01/21/16 03:43 PM Re: Hunting and fishing thread [Re: Silverbullet]  
BToran Offline
Admiral
BToran  Offline
Admiral

Northport, New York
james - i've never been ice fishing, but i like the idea of catching food that's already frozen, so it keeps longer. i also like the idea of using kids as sled dogs!

all - as far as my shop being too clean, it gets plenty messy, but then i clean it up (especially for pictures and reloading, where messy could be bad!). our 2 car garage (20'x20') was used as a storage dump for everything until i got our piccolo ferrari (as my wife calls it). it's a 1975 fiat spider that should be garaged due to age / insurance / general common sense. an aside... the model will be reborn next year when fiat reintroduces it on a madza chassis. back to the garage.... first, i built a 10'x16' shed with a loft to hold everything else. that was a project in itself. once the garage was cleaned out, i redid it completely. ceiling (foam tiles), floor (snap lock garage flooring), walls, work bench, etc. i originally built it for 3 purposes, a place to park and work on my car, a workshop, and a place to hang out and smoke if anyone is so inclined (since there is no smoking in the house and it gets pretty cold in the winter). if you look closely at the pictures, you'll see not only some outdoor furniture, but also an electric fireplace built into the work bench. that looks neat, but it also throws heat, as does a wall mounted heater over the bench. outside the garage are sliding screens that seal the entry and protect against mosquitos in the summer. below are a few more pictures.

shed i built so i could clean out the garage. it sits on new-fangled blocks of concrete mixed with some space age material. they weigh only 18 lbs each (vs 55 lbs for a concrete block) and have grooves cut in the top for joists. they can also be worked like wood, with a hand saw if needed. raising the shed makes it a non-permanent structure because my taxes are too high already.

the rest of the garage, including lounge area.

fishing rods and sleds visible on other side of car. no chance to use the sleds yet this year, but maybe this weekend. younger parents grab their children and flee in horror when they see a wooden flexible flyer with metal skis come flying down the hill. one of them still has the original price tag from a local h/w store when my parents bought it for us ($14).

mods to my reloading press. i have a sweeper arm coming which will sweep finished rounds into the funnel / bin arrangement i concocted last night. notice the new knob on the press handle. 5th gear gets the rounds cranking fast and i can use reverse instead of a bullet puller to undo any mistakes.

Last edited by BToran; 01/21/16 04:41 PM.

Bruce Toran
Former Owner of a 1996 Carver 320 Voyager
-----------------------------------------
"Don't Eat Anything Bigger Than Your Head"
#564220 - 04/07/16 12:58 AM Re: Hunting and fishing thread [Re: BToran]  
Frantically Relaxing Offline
Admiral
Frantically Relaxing  Offline
Admiral

Bruce, I didn't read your post, just looked at the pics and busted out laughing... "Loaded Weapon" jumped right into my head...

"Wow, it's a lot roomier than it looks from outside!!
laugh

[Linked Image]
#564720 - 05/14/16 12:36 PM Re: Hunting and fishing thread [Re: Silverbullet]  
Silverbullet Offline
Admiral
Silverbullet  Offline
Admiral

Boise, ID
In December I threw out my back. I had hunted in the morning and then went grocery shopping. It was while unloading the car that my back went out. Wife carried my shotgun upstairs and commented how heavy it was and said I should get a lighter gun.

Who am I to argue?

I've checked in at cabelas from time to time and they didn't have them in Stock. Stopped last night and the guy checked in back. They had an unopened one which was coo . It was super light and shouldered really well.

I had a coupon for employee pricing which took 10% off. I don't see ultralight go on sale very often.

They don't have an unopened ultralight anymore.

James
1988 Suburban 3/4 Ton
2000 Subaru Forester

#564730 - 05/14/16 11:03 PM Re: Hunting and fishing thread [Re: Silverbullet]  
Lowrider78 Offline
Admiral
Lowrider78  Offline
Admiral

Newton Ks
Just be ready,,, Lighter Gun equates to Kicks Harder with the same ammo.

No way around the physics of it.

For shotguns (I have a pretty light inertial 12-gauge) that came with a thin rubber recoil pad.

A Kick-Eeze went on it, wonderful improvement.

Also, with my build (6', fairly long arms) I didn't have to shorten the stock to match, the extra length of pull was fine.

That streak that howled by? That was me. Did ya like the roostertail? Big Blocks and Jets Forever
#564731 - 05/14/16 11:35 PM Re: Hunting and fishing thread [Re: Silverbullet]  
Silverbullet Offline
Admiral
Silverbullet  Offline
Admiral

Boise, ID
I've heard that benelli did a pretty good job on the recoil. But, you're right. Physics is physics and can't be abandoned. Though, I would say my a300, which is lighter than my auto 5, kicks less. Might go out next week and shoot some clays.

It.comes with a recoil pad so we will see how that works.

James
1988 Suburban 3/4 Ton
2000 Subaru Forester

#564737 - 05/15/16 10:42 AM Re: Hunting and fishing thread [Re: Silverbullet]  
Lowrider78 Offline
Admiral
Lowrider78  Offline
Admiral

Newton Ks
Put new recoil springs (both the recoil and the action spring) in that A5, and see the difference.

My Auto-5 is the softest recoiler in my entire stable, and others who have shot them (it and my others) agree with me.

Good springs and not over-oiled (I use a pretty much undetectable film of CLP on mine, that's THIN), they soak up recoil like a sponge.
I do not have to "further oil" it any, although I have never pushed it any farther than 400 clays or so.
After a couple hundred in a row at the trap club, she get's HOT (don't grab that barrel, whew!) smile.

Those springs take a set, they shorten, even if just compressed in storage for years (assembled of course). Seems to take about a decade stored assembled.

Nobody thinks of this (I sure never did before about 1990).

According to am local Browning gunsmith, if you let them get too bad, hunting ammo can actually crack the latching block out of the top of the breechbolt (the rails it rocks on) from it slamming open.
Also, splitting the fore-end wood is contributed to from this IMO.

Same 'smith told me that 9 1/4" is the minimum length, new ones are about 10 1/2".

I treat my Auto-5 and my Rem. Model 11R the same in this, and they run hapilly.

At some point in this spring wear, mine will start ejecting my Handicap Trapload (1 1/8th ounce @ around 1250fps (18.5gr Red Dot) when it is set for "heavy" loads, a sure sign the springs are past their last legs.

I only ever had to re-oil her once, and that was decades ago when dad & I used WD40. A brutally cold, ugly, midwestern Pheasant hunt. I had apparently wiped off too much.
Only thing I had, some chainsaw bar oil, she ran all weekend.
I almost pulled the dipstick on dad's 84 Ford Diesel, before I found the chain molasses LOL.

After something like 50 years (1957 gun), I also replaced the bronze friction piece, something over 100,000 rounds are estimated to have been devoured by that A5. I don't know if it was NEEDED, I do know it took several hundred rounds to "seat in" the new one. It went from erratically ejecting light loads for an hour, to suddenly running like a swiss watch again.

Best to ya SB. smile

#564738 - 05/15/16 11:12 AM Re: Hunting and fishing thread [Re: Silverbullet]  
Lowrider78 Offline
Admiral
Lowrider78  Offline
Admiral

Newton Ks
Mostly, it's a different "feel" to the recoil.

The inertials are a very sharp "jab", but they have to be for the action to function.

When you look at an inertial's action, the breechface piece locks to the barrel but the heavy bolt body holding that breechface is floating between 2 springs.

When you fire it the inertial gun heaves backwards fast, it has to to compress the very short, very very strong/stiff spring between the breechface and the bolt body.
The bolt's inertia holds it still (basically) while the whole rest of the shotgun recoils rearward, the breechface slides backwards into the bolt, compressing that spring.

When that spring overpowers the inertia of the bolt, it flings the bolt backwards, easily overpowering the bolt closure return spring, and taking the breechface (and heavy spring) with it for the ride.

If you hold the inertial shotgun from moving in recoil (like the buttstock against a tree), it won't cycle.
That's a good way to crack stocks tho. wink

Some people love them (inertials), I'm not a hater, but neither am I a huge fan. As it so happens, my inertial is the least reliable one I have. A half-box of my Pheasant Specials (1 3/8 ounce, enough Blue Dot to make "factory" typical 1325fps), it chokes and fails to close fully.
My A5 thinks they are tic-tacs and wants all I have, and more.
My Inertial hasn't seen nearly as much mileage tho, and I started shooting Skeet with it to "wear it in", maybe that would help. Dunno.

The A5 design is the only shotgun whose entire chamber and recoil mechanism is completely sprung, if you hold it's receiver immobile, it cycles (so does a gas gun, but that is yet another action type).

#564739 - 05/15/16 11:59 AM Re: Hunting and fishing thread [Re: Silverbullet]  
Silverbullet Offline
Admiral
Silverbullet  Offline
Admiral

Boise, ID
Thanks for the info. I definitely took some risk since I didn't shoot it first. I do have an inertia driven shotgun in a Benelli M1 Super 90. I don't remember the recoil being an issue, but that gun is heavier with a different design.

It'll be interesting to see the difference. Right now, my favorite shorty is the a300. I have it, the a5, the m1 Super 90, a Saiga 12, and ofor course a Mossberg 500. I have the Mossberg because Joe Biden says it is all I need.

Thanks for the tip on the recoil spring. I'll order a new one. The a5 is a 1944 I believe and I'm sure it's an original spring. It's so simple, but easily overlooked on most semi autos.

James
1988 Suburban 3/4 Ton
2000 Subaru Forester

#564746 - 05/15/16 06:40 PM Re: Hunting and fishing thread [Re: Silverbullet]  
Lowrider78 Offline
Admiral
Lowrider78  Offline
Admiral

Newton Ks
Replace that bolt closure action spring while you are there.

Just remove the stock, it is replaced easily from the back.

BE CAREFUL in there as you can lose the pin that holds the spring keeper plug in, and sometimes those plugs were wood and fall apart on their own.

Of course, if the action hasn't been dismantled and cleaned out since 1944 (entirely possible those A5's will run with a couple pounds of powder granules, dust, grime, oil, plant seeds and bits back there), that ought to get done too.

I was the first person to wash the back of mine (dad's) out, somewhere about 1985'ish.

I figure it needs done every 15-30 years depending on usage.

#564861 - 05/28/16 12:57 AM Re: Hunting and fishing thread [Re: Silverbullet]  
Lowrider78 Offline
Admiral
Lowrider78  Offline
Admiral

Newton Ks
Another funky "quirk" to the physics that rules the inertial shotguns:
Alter the weight of the gun, you alter the amount of power required to cycle the action.

This doesn't happen really to people's 5-shot (4+1) hunting shotguns, I have an inertial that is my short-barreled "housebroom", and it can be configured with ammo 3 ways:

With ONLY ammo in the tube magazine (7+1 capacity), the gun will cycle reliably with dad's Handicap Trap Load (1 1/8th ounce @ around 1250fps (18.5gr Red Dot).

There is a 5-round "rack" on the underneath side of the foldable (folds upward over the receiver) buttstock, fill this with ammo (as well as the tube magazine) and the gun ceases to cycle that trapload.
Depending on the shell weight, I have added between 1/3rd to 1/2 a pound of weight to the gun.
It now requires my 1 1/4 ounce "light field" load (similar 1250'ish fps velocity, 25gr Unique).

I installed a 6-round "side saddle" rack (I compete in 3-gun competition with it some), total weight goes up another 1/2-pound or so, ammo load is 19 rounds. The gun now demands my Pheasant Grenade (1 3/8 ounce @ 1330 fps, factory duplication load) or something similar, a full-power 1-ounce slug @ 1450fps, something potent, or the gun will not cycle properly.

As ammo is used up in a competition string, I COULD actually reduce power on successive reloads when reloading from my on-gun storage.

When you realize the physics of how the inertials work, it makes perfect sense that they function this way.

Weirdly, my other Inertial I brought back from Turkyie in 2002, has what I call a "gas-boosted" system.
Same inertial bolt as any Benneli.
The bolt however is mounted to rails that extend fwd (like a pump gun), which ends in a ring/collar that butts up to the barrel ring.
The barrel ring contains a short-throw piston, and is drilled with 2 gas ports into the barrel to drive it.

The housebroom has the same rail/ring arrangement (the bolt return spring is mounted around the magazine tube on both), BUT, (no gas piston) the housebroom is a "switchable" automatic, it can be used, at the flip of a lock lever, as a pump. Basically it is a Turkish clone (Huglu) of a Benneli M3 Convertible.

#564862 - 05/28/16 02:03 AM Re: Hunting and fishing thread [Re: Silverbullet]  
Lowrider78 Offline
Admiral
Lowrider78  Offline
Admiral

Newton Ks
I finally managed to run it down................

The action I described above is the STOEGER version of the Benneli inertial system (Benneli Holdings owns a bunch of other makers, Franchi, Stoeger, Benneli, Beretta, Uberti, several others).

#564865 - 05/28/16 05:26 PM Re: Hunting and fishing thread [Re: Silverbullet]  
Silverbullet Offline
Admiral
Silverbullet  Offline
Admiral

Boise, ID
Stoeger is the off brand. I thought about a Stoeger m3000/2000 when I bought my beretta.

James
1988 Suburban 3/4 Ton
2000 Subaru Forester

#572544 - 07/11/19 11:56 PM Re: Hunting and fishing thread [Re: Silverbullet]  
Silverbullet Offline
Admiral
Silverbullet  Offline
Admiral

Boise, ID
Time to revive this thread.

Hunting 2018 started promising with good dove action. Drew a cow elk tag, had a deer tag, etc. Dove was as good as it got. Didn't see a single buck and the cow elk were a couple miles away for the few we saw.

Enter 2019.

Put in for way more draw tags and the sun was shining on me.

In Idaho we drew early season deer. It's a rifle hunt and the deer will still be in velvet which means they should be in the open if we can locate them. Probably will be above the tree line or in burns.

Also drew bull elk in October in Idaho. We are planning a 5 day hike in hunt for 4 of us with tags. I've never done hunting where we didn't at least hike back to a trail head at the end of the day. My equipment list just grew.

In Wyoming, I drew 2 late season doe/fawn deer tags to be used if I haven't killed anything and my freezer is empty. On the leftover tag draw and I drew 4 doe/fawn antelope and 2 more doe/fawn deer tags. All of those are on private land (farms) and I have permission secured. Hypothetically, they could be relatively easy to fill.

I'm hunting this year with a Ruger in 6.5 creedmoor with a SilencerCo suppressor to bring thr.noise level down a bit.

My son doesn't want to hunt this year which is a bummer, but I've been asked to take a friend's son oit which I have agreed to.

So, i currently have 10 big game tags to fill for the fall. 1 elk, 1 mule deer, 4 whitetail and 4 antelope. Its feast or famine. Last year was famine. Hoping for a feast this year.

James
1988 Suburban 3/4 Ton
2000 Subaru Forester

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Admin 

Sponsors
New Topics
My boats new house
by MarkHB. 09/15/19 09:20 PM
100 amp breaker for 135 amp windlass...
by Dave R. 09/09/19 10:00 AM
New Rocna Vulcan anchor
by Dave R. 09/05/19 07:54 AM
After a little NADA reading, I feel better-and dumber
by Frantically Relaxing. 09/05/19 12:13 AM
Last Boat #3
by Dock Holiday. 08/31/19 11:59 AM
Is This Trailer Big Enough?
by Pacfanweb. 08/20/19 11:49 AM
We now own two boats.
by CharlesS. 08/19/19 09:52 PM
A boat trip- short story
by 2Suns. 08/13/19 06:47 AM
Help - Acceleration Issues
by athiker. 08/04/19 02:24 PM
A book that I would love to have helped write
by Justification. 07/30/19 03:49 PM
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 95 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
flemiis, Glaukos, LgfCoobalt, Jorge, jorige55
5491 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23
Topics37,302
Posts564,117
Members5,492
Most Online252
Aug 5th, 2017