#572092 - 01/27/19 09:16 PM Re: Shopping for another boat... [Re: jetjack]  
Dave R Offline
Admiral
Dave R  Offline
Admiral

Raymond NH
Originally Posted by jetjack
Do like John Kerry, keep it in RI, beat the taxes
Really nice Boat BTW, still see you on the Lake on occasion?

Thanks!

Selling the Regal and can't tow the Tolly, so will only be on Winni when I get out on someone else's boat. Please come by Hampton River Marina and visit. We are in slip G2 after the first week in June. Boat will be named "Mischief Managed II".

"Mischief Managed II"
1992 Tollycraft Cockpit Motor Yacht
Twin CAT 3208TA inboards
A Word from Our Sponsors
#572098 - 01/28/19 02:14 PM Re: Shopping for another boat... [Re: Dave R]  
Frantically Relaxing Offline
Admiral
Frantically Relaxing  Offline
Admiral

So, Dave, you KNOW you're just gonna HAVE to get another 'bomb-around' boat wink
(--we did, three times now grin )

My advice: The Babyliner was a blast but beat us to death, go at least 19'. Let us know what you find funny

[Linked Image]
#572101 - 01/28/19 08:37 PM Re: Shopping for another boat... [Re: Frantically Relaxing]  
Dave R Offline
Admiral
Dave R  Offline
Admiral

Raymond NH
Originally Posted by Frantically Relaxing
So, Dave, you KNOW you're just gonna HAVE to get another 'bomb-around' boat wink
(--we did, three times now grin )

My advice: The Babyliner was a blast but beat us to death, go at least 19'. Let us know what you find funny

We'll be getting a 13ish foot RIB with at least 25 HP to bomb around on. Bear in mind, after Spring 2020, I won't have a house to store a trailer boat...

"Mischief Managed II"
Twin CAT 3208TA inboards
#572381 - 04/22/19 08:54 PM Re: Shopping for another boat... [Re: Dave R]  
Dave R Offline
Admiral
Dave R  Offline
Admiral

Raymond NH
Sold the Regal after 6 days on the market. The new owners were astounded by the condition and offered full asking price, guess I should have asked for more, but after 14 years of heavy use, it depreciated only $17.5k, so I'm not unhappy. Coincidentally, the new owners are coming from a 40 foot twin inboard motor yacht and want a boat they can tow to different cruising areas in the north east for multi-day cruises, just like we did.

Picking up the new boat on May 18. So psyched.

"Mischief Managed II"
Twin CAT 3208TA inboards
#572382 - 04/22/19 09:16 PM Re: Shopping for another boat... [Re: Dave R]  
captkevin Offline
Admiral
captkevin  Offline
Admiral

Chicago, IL
Congratulations on the quick sale.

2004 Rinker 232
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Laramie 4x4
#572383 - 04/22/19 11:15 PM Re: Shopping for another boat... [Re: Dave R]  
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
Nice boat. You're gonna make a lot of memories on that one.

You're going to love the Stamoid. After having it on this boat I wouldn't do anything else. It is just soooo easy to clean. Hose it off and you're good to go.

"Beachcomber" 1995 Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge

Anchor's down......Bottoms Up!
#572384 - 04/23/19 09:01 AM Re: Shopping for another boat... [Re: GoFirstClass]  
Dave R Offline
Admiral
Dave R  Offline
Admiral

Raymond NH
Originally Posted by GoFirstClass
Nice boat. You're gonna make a lot of memories on that one.

You're going to love the Stamoid. After having it on this boat I wouldn't do anything else. It is just soooo easy to clean. Hose it off and you're good to go.

I confess that I'd never heard of Stamoid until I saw the receipts for the recent enclosure that were included in the boat paperwork . I researched the stuff and seems like a great product. The boat also comes with some custom Sunbrella awnings (to allow us to use open the big salon windows even when it's raining), a dark blue and a white windshield cover, and a full cockpit cover.

I've been in touch with the guy that sold it to the guy I'm buying it from and learned:
1. it has a fuel polishing system
2. it has upgraded ZF Mathers Microcommander electronic controls,
3. all four props have been prop-scan tuned
4. it has an added pump and valves to allow for raw water to be used in the heads to conserve freshwater
5. the complete Weaver davit system and a 9 foot dinghy with 9.9HP 2-stroke merc are available (I might buy them for the time being since the boat is already set up for it and it will be easy to sell when I upgrade my dinghy; at present, I have no dinghy...)
6. there's a spare alternator included

I want to limit the genset run time as much as possible at anchor and have purchased a Trident two-20lb tank LPG locker/valve/regulator kit and a Dickinson 3 burner LPG stove to replace the electric stove. Still planning to add up to 1000 watts of solar on the aft deck hard top (through MPPT controller(s?)) and will be dramatically upgrading the house batteries from the FLA golf carts batteries (which only provide a 120AH of real world capacity) to some lithium iron phosphate batteries (these are the "safe" lithium-based batteries) that weigh 1/3 as much, take up 75% of the space, and provide 288 AH of real world capacity. They also re-charge so efficiently that I won't need to upgrade the alternators, regulators, or battery chargers on the boat.

Since the boat really needs a major electrical power makeover for our live-aboard plans, I intend to make the boat "inverter-based" for shore power. I will install a stacked pair of Magnum or Xantrex 2800 to 3000 watt true sine wave inverters that will run every AC appliance on the boat except the water heater. The water heater will be powered by it's own 2000 watt modified sine wave inverter since it does not need clean power. The reason for all of the inverter power is so that we can completely isolate the AC side of the boat from the shore power. The shore power will only be connected to a pair of battery chargers that allow for universal input voltage and current (boat came with these already). Conceptually, it's like having a totally variable isolation transformer and will allow us to run the boat on 100VAC to 250VAC 50Hz or 60Hz, and from as little as 15 amps to as much as 50 amps. This will enable us to connect to any shore power in the Caribbean (really, the whole world) and still be able to use all the electrical items on board. You might be thinking that a 120V 15 amp circuit will never allow us to run all the air conditioners, but you need to understand that peak excess loads will be absorbed by the house batteries which will then be re-charged when the peak loads drop. It's easy to forget that the basic US electrical outlet found in everyone's house can provide a continuous 120VAC at 15 amps. 120VACx15ampsx24hour=43.2kWh of power. The average US household only uses around 30 kWh a day, so running a 600 Square foot boat on roughly 150% of what a house requires, at a minimum, should be no problem. In reality, I doubt we'll ever find a transient slip with less than 120VAC 30 amps, regardless. FWIW, this is not my own idea; I got it directly from Nigel Calder when I attended a half day seminar he gave a couple of months ago. The guy is brilliant and really cool to talk to. Oh, one other thing, the genset will be connected to the AC input side of the inverters so they will become the battery chargers when the genset is running. I should be able to fully charge the lithium iron phosphate house batteries in less than an hour on the genset this way.

Gave up on the heavy dinghy idea, they look great, but they simply trade capacity for style and that is totally against my personality. Still plan to use the davits I bought though. After seeing some Achilles aluminums RIBs in person, I think we'll be getting an 11 foot one of those with a bench seat with back rest, a Hula Helm, and a 25 HP Etec. It should be super light, fast, low maintenance, and fun. It will also safely carry more people than a fancy Zodiac that costs and weighs twice as much...

"Mischief Managed II"
Twin CAT 3208TA inboards
#572385 - 04/23/19 12:35 PM Re: Shopping for another boat... [Re: Dave R]  
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
"I want to limit the genset run time as much as possible at anchor....."
Let me throw out a thought on a different direction. If you're putting those big inverters on board, you shouldn't need to use the propane system at all. We don't use the gen much when we're on the hook, we simply rely on the inverter to run the 110V things. All of our heavy electricity users (stove, water heater, heat/AC, etc.) are 240V. If we need to run one of those we fire up the gen, run it while we need that 240V power, then kick it back off.

We're in a desert climate where it gets to 100* and higher in the summer. When it gets that hot, opening windows and hatches doesn't cool off the interior of the boat so we'll kick on the gen and run the A/C units. The way I look at it, there's no sense having those comfort units and not using them. That only results in being how and sweaty/stinky when we're on the boat.

That is about as appealing as drinking hot beer.

You have a lot of projects in your future. How about posting photos as you do them.

#572386 - 04/23/19 01:57 PM Re: Shopping for another boat... [Re: GoFirstClass]  
Dave R Offline
Admiral
Dave R  Offline
Admiral

Raymond NH
Originally Posted by GoFirstClass
"I want to limit the genset run time as much as possible at anchor....."
Let me throw out a thought on a different direction. If you're putting those big inverters on board, you shouldn't need to use the propane system at all. We don't use the gen much when we're on the hook, we simply rely on the inverter to run the 110V things. All of our heavy electricity users (stove, water heater, heat/AC, etc.) are 240V. If we need to run one of those we fire up the gen, run it while we need that 240V power, then kick it back off.

We're in a desert climate where it gets to 100* and higher in the summer. When it gets that hot, opening windows and hatches doesn't cool off the interior of the boat so we'll kick on the gen and run the A/C units. The way I look at it, there's no sense having those comfort units and not using them. That only results in being how and sweaty/stinky when we're on the boat.

That is about as appealing as drinking hot beer.

You have a lot of projects in your future. How about posting photos as you do them.

Our goal is to stay in the comfortable temperatures as much as possible by moving north and south with the seasons, which should dramatically reduce the need for air conditioning. We know we'll need it now and then, but really prefer fresh air and specifically bought a boat known for great natural ventilation. I will be keeping a photo log of all the upgrades.

We switched to LPG so that we can cook a meal or ten without ever worrying about power. The same 40 lbs of LPG will power the gas grill too.

I'm hoping we can run our fridge, microwave, computers, washing machine, anchor light, fans, stereo, water heater, and TV solely by solar power when anchored or moored; and alternator/solar power/engine heat when underway. Without using air conditioning, we don't expect to exceed 200 AH @12V of use per day and we hope to generate at least that much (one can typically expect 250 AH @12V per day from a 1000 watt solar array on a boat). We have just enough room for 1000 watts. With FLA batteries, we'd likely break even with 250AH generated and 200AH used due to inefficiency in charging, but with lithium iron phosphate, there's only a 1% loss in recharging, so aiming for 200 AH used and 250 AH generated means we should always have juice to spare for say, a long shower, a little extra heat on a cold night, extra laundry, or running the master stateroom air conditioning for a couple of hours without the generator. I have a lot of room to add more batteries too, so that we could have even more capacity if needed. They are just really expensive right now. I'm looking at $3900 just for the three 120 AH 12V. I don't plan to run them below 80% depth of discharge (hence the 288AH capacity mentioned above). If needed, I could run them down to 100% depth of discharge now and then to get 360 AH of usable capacity, but there is a life cycle penalty for doing that. At 80% DOD or less, they are good for 6000+ life cycles, which in most applications is 16+ years.

"Mischief Managed II"
Twin CAT 3208TA inboards
#572387 - 04/23/19 07:51 PM Re: Shopping for another boat... [Re: Dave R]  
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
Wow, you have put a TON of thought and planning into your power needs and how to make it work. Heck, I can't even spell Injuneer let alone be one. Good on ya for having those talents and skills.

#572388 - 04/23/19 08:16 PM Re: Shopping for another boat... [Re: Dave R]  
Jack T Offline
Admiral
Jack T  Offline
Admiral

Southern California
"Wow, you have put a TON of thought and planning into your power needs and how to make it work."

Yep, that's what Dave does for anything. Have you noticed over the years, that his help on technical things is out to us, not from us to him? Have we ever been able to stump him on any subject? He certainly does his homework--and then some.

Have a great day of boating
2012 Monterey 224 FS,
300 HP Volvo Penta with catalytic converters

#572389 - 04/23/19 09:36 PM Re: Shopping for another boat... [Re: Jack T]  
Dave R Offline
Admiral
Dave R  Offline
Admiral

Raymond NH
Originally Posted by Jack T
"Wow, you have put a TON of thought and planning into your power needs and how to make it work."

Yep, that's what Dave does for anything. Have you noticed over the years, that his help on technical things is out to us, not from us to him? Have we ever been able to stump him on any subject? He certainly does his homework--and then some.

Thanks! It's what I do for a living too... (well not boats, but engineering solutions for stuff).

"Mischief Managed II"
Twin CAT 3208TA inboards
#572390 - 04/24/19 11:16 AM Re: Shopping for another boat... [Re: Dave R]  
tpenfield Offline
Admiral
tpenfield  Offline
Admiral

Cape Cod, MA
Dave -

Sorry to hear about your sales/use tax hassles. Probably many of the states have tightened up their regulations to close loop-holes, etc. I've had my head buried on some boat projects, so I have not been following along as much. Hopefully, you got it all squared away.

I'm surprised that the boat was not better outfitted for shore power, but sounds like you've got a handle on the upgrade.

Nice work on selling the Regal. That is always a good thing to have sold your previous boat before you take possession of the 'new' boat.

Post some pictures of launch day smile

Regards, Ted

Formula 330SS

My Boat Web Sites
#572391 - 04/24/19 12:22 PM Re: Shopping for another boat... [Re: tpenfield]  
Dave R Offline
Admiral
Dave R  Offline
Admiral

Raymond NH
Originally Posted by tpenfield
Dave -

Sorry to hear about your sales/use tax hassles. Probably many of the states have tightened up their regulations to close loop-holes, etc. I've had my head buried on some boat projects, so I have not been following along as much. Hopefully, you got it all squared away.

I'm surprised that the boat was not better outfitted for shore power, but sounds like you've got a handle on the upgrade.

Nice work on selling the Regal. That is always a good thing to have sold your previous boat before you take possession of the 'new' boat.

Post some pictures of launch day smile

The new boat is set up wonderfully for US shore power right now, it's not set up well for power away from shore, or on foreign shore power.

Some parts of the plan I failed to mention: we plan to add a 30 amp Smart Plug to the boat for the connection to the universal input voltage battery chargers. The original twin 50AMP 125VAC shore power inlets will remain in place and connected to the maiin panel just in case we need them someday. Fortunately, the boat already has an elaborate shore power multi-position switch that makes this safe and easy to execute.

I have your Bravo tools in the back of my car...

Last edited by Dave R; 04/24/19 12:23 PM.

"Mischief Managed II"
Twin CAT 3208TA inboards
#572392 - 04/24/19 02:35 PM Re: Shopping for another boat... [Re: Dave R]  
tpenfield Offline
Admiral
tpenfield  Offline
Admiral

Cape Cod, MA
Originally Posted by Dave R

I have your Bravo tools in the back of my car...

Yes, I'll set up some time for a lunch get together. It's been crazy busy at work and I decided to make an extended swim platform for the boat, which has been an uphill climb.

Regards, Ted

Formula 330SS

My Boat Web Sites
#572395 - 04/25/19 11:45 AM Re: Shopping for another boat... [Re: Dave R]  
athiker Offline
Admiral
athiker  Offline
Admiral

Lake Norman, NC
Wow, just read through this thread. First big congrats on the purchase and upcoming life change...hope it brings you and yours much joy. I have to admit my first thought was what is Dave R going to do w/o a home shop for projects?...then I read on and realize ala Al you have plenty of projects lined up to keep you busy for a long while! I have no useful advice, will just follow along vicariously so again, congrats and enjoy.

2000 Cobalt 206 5.7L EFI Alpha 1
#572396 - 04/25/19 02:45 PM Re: Shopping for another boat... [Re: athiker]  
Dave R Offline
Admiral
Dave R  Offline
Admiral

Raymond NH
Originally Posted by athiker
Wow, just read through this thread. First big congrats on the purchase and upcoming life change...hope it brings you and yours much joy. I have to admit my first thought was what is Dave R going to do w/o a home shop for projects?...then I read on and realize ala Al you have plenty of projects lined up to keep you busy for a long while! I have no useful advice, will just follow along vicariously so again, congrats and enjoy.

Now that my kids have grown up and moved out, I'm tired of taking care of the big house and only use the big yard for big yard work, which I hate, so it's time to move on. I will miss my shops, but I am keeping my tools. My little brother who is pretty handy, has eagerly agreed to babysit my tools and I know he'll take great care of them. Of course, I'm putting together a pretty impressive set of tool bags for the boat. I have 5 done so far and will likely add 2 or three more. Need to figure out how to mount a work bench and vice securely but conveniently temporarily on the boat...

"Mischief Managed II"
Twin CAT 3208TA inboards
#572406 - 04/27/19 11:11 AM Re: Shopping for another boat... [Re: Dave R]  
WayWeGo Offline
Admiral
WayWeGo  Offline
Admiral

Oakton, VA
Originally Posted by Dave R
Some parts of the plan I failed to mention: we plan to add a 30 amp Smart Plug to the boat for the connection to the universal input voltage battery chargers. The original twin 50AMP 125VAC shore power inlets will remain in place and connected to the maiin panel just in case we need them someday. Fortunately, the boat already has an elaborate shore power multi-position switch that makes this safe and easy to execute.

I have been hearing some grumblings about the 30A Smart Plug reliability in the last year. They do have better contact surfaces than the standard NEMA L5-30 connectors, but as I understand it, the NEMA SS2-50 125/250V connectors are at least as good from a continuity and reliability standpoint.

That said, we are still using the dual L5-30 connectors, but will probably update to a single SS2-50 at some point in the future. Our dock pedestal has a single 50A socket so we have a Y-cable adapter that allows us to connect to almost any power available in marinas, along with a 30A to 15A adapter.

1975 Trojan F36 Convertible, Twin Chrysler 440's
2014 West Marine AL360 Inflatable, 1966 Mercury 6HP, 1992 Mercury 20HP
#572484 - 06/12/19 05:35 PM Re: Shopping for another boat... [Re: Dave R]  
Dave R Offline
Admiral
Dave R  Offline
Admiral

Raymond NH
Got the boat home with some indispensable help for the first half the trip from WayWeGo. He was an awesome tutor/deck hand/galley wench/companion and we were really glad he offered to help us out on the challenging parts of the trip. Some of the lock-throughs would not have been possible without him due to crazy high winds.

The trip took 16 days (12.5 travel days) and was great fun. The Erie Canal was excellent, other than the submerged log that damaged my starboard prop. Boat ran great and was perfectly reliable after a day-one electrical gremlin was addressed. After 125 hours at the helm, I'm getting a good feel for the boat and really enjoy having twin engines and electronic throttle/shifters. The boat is a treat to operate around docks. Radar, auto pilot, fish finders and three GPSs were fun to learn to use.

Some issues (bear in mind it's a 27 year old boat...):

I had to re-wire one of the on-board battery chargers that was installed improperly. I initially did a hack job to get it working while we were traveling, but have since wired it properly.

Two port holes and a deck hatch started leaking. We temporarily sealed them up and I bought new gaskets to fix them.

One engine uses more fuel that the other and started using anti-freeze toward the end of the trip. Thinking a bad injector for the excess fuel use and head gasket for the anti-freeze. Cannot think of a single reason for both issues. Fortunately, there's great access to the engines and head gaskets and injectors are a breeze to change on these 3208s. The parts are pretty cheap too.

Radar crapped out on the last day of the trip home. Was planning to replace it regardless, but it was a terribly foggy day and not having it made me nervous. Of course it's working now...

Last edited by Dave R; 06/12/19 07:28 PM.

"Mischief Managed II"
Twin CAT 3208TA inboards
#572485 - 06/12/19 10:19 PM Re: Shopping for another boat... [Re: Dave R]  
captkevin Offline
Admiral
captkevin  Offline
Admiral

Chicago, IL
Glad to hear the new boat is home. Can't imagine how exciting it must be.

2004 Rinker 232
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Laramie 4x4
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Admin 

Sponsors
New Topics
Is This Trailer Big Enough?
by Pacfanweb. 08/20/19 11:49 AM
We now own two boats.
by CharlesS. 08/19/19 09:52 PM
A boat trip- short story
by 2Suns. 08/13/19 06:47 AM
Getting closer
by Frantically Relaxing. 08/12/19 01:52 PM
New trailer step
by casualboater. 08/09/19 05:21 PM
New ride for me!
by casualboater. 08/07/19 01:50 PM
Is there a lifespan to an aluminum fuel tank?
by CharlesS. 08/05/19 06:53 PM
Help - Acceleration Issues
by athiker. 08/04/19 02:24 PM
A book that I would love to have helped write
by Justification. 07/30/19 03:49 PM
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 88 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Gallegos1982, GlenOS, HalfTime, Clogee, mbishara
5486 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23
Topics37,297
Posts564,042
Members5,486
Most Online252
Aug 5th, 2017