Rate This Thread
#572237 - 03/12/19 08:41 PM Great Lakes Boaters  
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
Hello all Great Lakes boaters. Several years ago, with the thought of spending a summer cruising on the Great Lakes I put together and Excel spreadsheet file that gives the mileages between ports on Lakes Michigan and Huron and a few ports in the North Channel and Georgian Bay.

The typical cautionary tip on books of charts is something like this: " This chart is not intended for use in navigation. "

I guess the same should be said for my spreadsheet. It likely will not exactly agree with the miles traveled on your GPS. The reason is that I built if for my own use using Google Earth and the distances shown include a mile or so to get offshore from your departure port and another mile to get into the destination port.

If you can live with those small differences, then this spreadsheet is for you. The cost of the spreadsheet is FREE. All you need to do is send me an email at: gofirstclass at Hotmail dot com.

I will return your email and will attach the file to the return email.

"Beachcomber" 1995 Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge

Anchor's down......Bottoms Up!
A Word from Our Sponsors
#572238 - 03/14/19 02:06 PM Re: Great Lakes Boaters [Re: GoFirstClass]  
Justification Online content
Admiral
Justification  Online Content
Admiral

Fruit Heights, Utah
Nice Offer GFC, but not thinking I'll be doing any great lakes cruising in the near future

BUT.... Speaking of the Great Lakes do we have any members in the Traverse City area? I've done a few overnights there (summer is much better than winter) and had a great time.

Beer makes you feel the way
You should feel without beer.
#572240 - 03/15/19 01:17 PM Re: Great Lakes Boaters [Re: Justification]  
Capn Morgan Offline
Scallywag
Capn Morgan  Offline
Scallywag
Admiral

West Michigan
Originally Posted by Justification
Nice Offer GFC, but not thinking I'll be doing any great lakes cruising in the near future

BUT.... Speaking of the Great Lakes do we have any members in the Traverse City area? I've done a few overnights there (summer is much better than winter) and had a great time.

Justi,
We have been boating in the TC area every years for the past 10 years. Very familiar with the area. Let me know if I can answer any questions you may have.

2004 Chaparral 235 SSi
[Linked Image]
#572242 - 03/15/19 10:29 PM Re: Great Lakes Boaters [Re: GoFirstClass]  
casualboater Offline
Admiral
casualboater  Offline
Admiral

Highland, Michigan
We've also spent a fair amount of time boating and vacationing in the Traverse City area. I can't think of a better place. Clear water, Lake Michigan access, lots of inland lakes, sandy bottoms, cool towns to wander in. Now i'm sad because it's 29 degrees outside.

1989 Larson DC 190
2007 Saab 9-7x
#572243 - 03/16/19 09:27 AM Re: Great Lakes Boaters [Re: Capn Morgan]  
Justification Online content
Admiral
Justification  Online Content
Admiral

Fruit Heights, Utah
Originally Posted by Capn Morgan
Let me know if I can answer any questions you may have.

No real questions now as it's just been a really good overnight. Kinda hoping that if we had members living there we could meet up, as I've done with GFC when I had a good layover for his annual Christmas boat parade
I was there for the Cherry Festival in 2017 and had a real fun time.
We stay right on the Beach near the marina, so it was an easy walk to the festivities. The first time there I spotted a real nice boat coming in toward the marina and thought, " Man that looks like a Predator". I wandered down to the marina as a good boater is supposed to do anytime they're near one and Sure enough it was a Predator 85. Quite a few boats anchored just off the beach, with folks enjoying themselves as I'm so looking forward to soon.

Originally Posted by casualboater

Now i'm sad because it's 29 degrees outside.

I was there a couple weeks ago..... it was 11 degrees and the Bay was frozen solid, with folks out ice fishing. Even the KFC near our hotel was closed for the winter. I much prefer summer.

Beer makes you feel the way
You should feel without beer.
#572244 - 03/16/19 08:01 PM Re: Great Lakes Boaters [Re: GoFirstClass]  
casualboater Offline
Admiral
casualboater  Offline
Admiral

Highland, Michigan
We've been anchored off the beach a fair number of times for the Cherry Festival air show. I can't imagine a better setting. We usually dock on the Boardman River in the morning to wander downtown and then anchor out for lunch and the show.

Up the bay a few miles at Charlevoix, they do a poker run. It starts on Lake Charlevoix and continues on to Lake Michigan. It's a no-wake channel to the big lake, and we've set up at the end of the channel a few times. Lot's of big off-shore boats, more horsepower then I have ever seen before in my life. It's a very festive atmosphere, and when they hit the end of the channel the roar is astounding.

Post up when you'll be in town, we visit that area pretty regularly. I've had a great time the couple of times I've been able to meet up with BABC folks.

1989 Larson DC 190
2007 Saab 9-7x

Moderated by  Admin 

Sponsors
New Topics
Preseason Boat Inspection Guide
by GoFirstClass. 03/14/19 06:24 PM
Great Lakes Boaters
by GoFirstClass. 03/12/19 08:41 PM
The end of an ERA
by Justification. 03/02/19 12:10 PM
VPN, anyone?
by Frantically Relaxing. 02/28/19 02:08 AM
Clear Oil On Floor Beneath Drain Plug
by Dock Holiday. 02/24/19 04:41 PM
Tracking this?
by KCook. 02/18/19 02:21 AM
Where's Al Gore when we need him?
by GoFirstClass. 02/12/19 10:21 PM
Would you buy a salvage title vehicle?
by Frantically Relaxing. 02/09/19 09:38 PM
Boat (and RV) Electronics
by Al. 02/03/19 09:40 PM
And speaking of acquiring a different vehicle--
by Frantically Relaxing. 01/28/19 01:20 AM
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 96 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
BornBoating, Cruzguy64, fishmasters247, millie, okielaker
5467 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23
Topics37,246
Posts563,566
Members5,468
Most Online252
Aug 5th, 2017