Your On-Line Port'o'Call

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#572148 - 02/12/19 10:21 PM Where's Al Gore when we need him?  
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
For years all the media seems to want us to hear about is Global Warming. It seemed like New York City was going to be under water. Same with much of the west coast. All kinds of scientific studies came out that showed everything Al Gore preached about was the absolute truth. Any scientists with opposing positions or opposing studies were written off as kooks.

Well, not so fast Mr. Gore. Seems now there is a growing number of scientists and studies that show we may be heading in just the opposite direction.

I found this interesting reading. Your thoughts?
Global Warming my foot.

"Beachcomber" 1995 Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge

Anchor's down......Bottoms Up!
A Word from Our Sponsors
#572150 - 02/13/19 01:31 AM Re: Where's Al Gore when we need him? [Re: GoFirstClass]  
Jack T Offline
Admiral
Jack T  Offline
Admiral

Southern California
The real issue is not warming or cooling. The true scientists will examine all avenues, which might be impossible, and to specifically examine hundreds of centuries.

Have a great day of boating
2012 Monterey 224 FS,
300 HP Volvo Penta with catalytic converters

#572152 - 02/13/19 08:26 AM Re: Where's Al Gore when we need him? [Re: GoFirstClass]  
Justification Offline
Admiral
Justification  Offline
Admiral

Fruit Heights, Utah
Of course any of these articles are going to be ignored, it's the Russians.

Beer makes you feel the way
You should feel without beer.
#572153 - 02/13/19 09:29 AM Re: Where's Al Gore when we need him? [Re: GoFirstClass]  
captkevin Offline
Admiral
captkevin  Offline
Admiral

Chicago, IL
Not feeling so warm in Chicago this winter.

2004 Rinker 232
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Laramie 4x4
#572154 - 02/13/19 11:41 AM Re: Where's Al Gore when we need him? [Re: GoFirstClass]  
CJS Offline
Admiral
CJS  Offline
Admiral

Lake Geneva, WI
I haven't heard 'Global Warming' used in any circles really in about 10 years or so. They figured out the science and after the leak that showed a bunch of altered data (from the UK or Europe, maybe?), maybe also 10 or so years ago, the powers that be had to change their tune. Calling it 'Climate Change' allows for any interpretation and any meaning to be assigned. Warm summers? Climate Change. Cold Winters? Also Climate Change.

When I was a kid in the 80s, worried about pollution, leaded gas, and the Ozone Layer. In the 90s it was Global Warming, and now it's Climate Change. The real problem is a bunch of asshats in the newsmedia, government, and other self-proclaimed experts that scream that the world is made of glass and we're surrounded by sledgehammers. They tout their BS from their keyboard megaphones, and there's so much crap available it's impossible to sort through the barrel of pebbles to find that little gemstone of truth.

Truth is, (from where I am sitting, ironically also behind my keyboard megaphone) that polluting any planet is a bad idea. The work we did in the 70s and 80s fixed the hole in the Ozone Layer. We cleaned up our air to the point it is possible to see the San Gabriel Mountains from Los Angeles pretty often. Another part of this truth is that NONE of the "green" efforts we can take today in the US will have any measurable impact on the spew from India and China. We've got about one seventh the number of people that they have in total. It's a simple matter of leverage. The US can't take any action to offset the shitshow that is Asia. The truth is, the world is not made of glass, and there aren't any sledgehammers coming right at us.

2017 Yamaha VX Cruiser HO
2017 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4X4
2016 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4X4
#572155 - 02/13/19 03:11 PM Re: Where's Al Gore when we need him? [Re: GoFirstClass]  
tpenfield Offline
Admiral
tpenfield  Offline
Admiral

Cape Cod, MA
Yesterday, we had 'regional cooling', but we will be back to 'regional warming' by Friday. Not sure if that relates at all to global climate change laugh

On a more serious note . . . I'll share some thoughts. Other opinions may vary.

I think that what is currently in motion as far as climate and sea level change will remain in motion . . . whatever that is. There is not much in a practical sense that can be done to change what is already in motion, IMO. People in future generations, that live along the coast, may have to find a new normal. Inland towns and cites, may become beach front. Some folks would rather not think about it, knowing that it will not affect them in their lifetime. Others think they can do something to stop, or dramatically change it. I don't believe they can.

Scientist can study and predict all they want. Future generations will adjust to whatever happens, just as past generations have done.

Regards, Ted

Formula 330SS

My Boat Web Sites
#572157 - 02/14/19 02:19 PM Re: Where's Al Gore when we need him? [Re: GoFirstClass]  
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
Ted, does that mean the Cape will disappear?

I know we can't really predict what the future holds for us weather wise. Like you said, we'll adjust to whatever Mama Nature tosses our way.

#572158 - 02/15/19 05:03 PM Re: Where's Al Gore when we need him? [Re: GoFirstClass]  
Frantically Relaxing Offline
Admiral
Frantically Relaxing  Offline
Admiral

so who do you believe?

==========
NASA, as far as I know, isn't loaded up with a bunch of liberal crackpots, so I tend to mostly believe what they have to say..
https://www.theguardian.com/environ...change-warning-earth-temperature-warming

Here's a quickie NASA video showing 136 years of global warming. "Most of the warming occurred in the past 35 years, with 16 of the 17 warmest years on record occurring since 2001.”
[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/bCVXnrQfzgA[/video]

And this one of ice melt...
[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/ApaM_wJ_nE8[/video]

I make no claims as to their authenticity, I just find this all rather interesting...

[Linked Image]
#572159 - 02/15/19 05:51 PM Re: Where's Al Gore when we need him? [Re: GoFirstClass]  
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
I too find it interesting and don't really believe what I hear from either side. Each side has press releases and videos that contradict what the other side says.

I tend to go along with the theory that mankind has caused some amount of climate change. It would be difficult to believe that with as many people as there are and as many factories and cars and etc., as there are that we haven't caused some warming.

That being said, I find it almost impossible to believe all those who run around yelling that the sky is falling. We've already seen the predictions made by that ilk 20-30 years ago have not come true.

I'm just gonna roll over and continue with my nap. Oops, at my age they're not called naps any longer--they're "Happy Hours".

#572160 - 02/16/19 02:58 PM Re: Where's Al Gore when we need him? [Re: GoFirstClass]  
Justification Offline
Admiral
Justification  Offline
Admiral

Fruit Heights, Utah
Every Species on this earth has an impact on their environment. Beavers build dams that make a habitat that other species can thrive in, while other species get drowned out by the lake formed behind the dam.
Wolf packs control a the size of a herd of Elk that if given the ability to grow that herd eat vegetation that changes the flow of rivers.
It would be delusional to think that we don't affect our environment, but it is also delusional to think that we CAUSE climate change rather than contribute to climate change. The earths climate has been changing for billions of years without us and will continue to change after we're gone. Who is to say what the "Right" climate is for the earth?
It is human nature to blow things out of proportion, and human nature to push back when those items are blown out of proportion.
The only true way to eliminate our effects on the environment is to eliminate us. That is not a reasonable answer, nor is eliminating Air Transportation, the elimination of fossil fuel use, or government control of the energy systems.
Come up with a Market Driven solution that saves me money, or makes my life better and I will gladly reduce my carbon Footprint. Demand I pay more taxes to have the government mandate what I do and I will push back with all my power. Switching to LED light bulbs in my house cost me a lot when I did it, but has paid off in the long run by reducing my electricity bill. It wasn't the car companies that killed the electric car, it was the consumers who didn't like was the technology was able to produce. When an electric car came along that looked good, and performed even better people started buying and other car companies started making cars to compete.
I pay an additional fee to a recycling company to haul off my recyclables because I hate waste, I feel like those products can be utilized in a different capacity, reducing the cost to make different products or to remake new aluminum cans. Additional jobs can be created in the recycling business, which means more taxes into the budget, and less "welfare" expenses.
(Get ready for an incredibly long run on sentence)......When the environmental groups who are screaming about man caused global warming stop protesting wind farms which produce clean energy because a few birds get killed by the blades or that they will ruin their views off Martha's Vineyard, or stop demanding that we remove dams that are producing clean hydroelectric power and providing jobs for millions in the marine industry, or that start saying maybe Nuclear power production is the right answer, then I'll start believing in "man Caused Global warming"

#572161 - 02/16/19 03:19 PM Re: Where's Al Gore when we need him? [Re: GoFirstClass]  
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
Ummmm, Justi, I think you and I should get our DNA compared 'cause I think you're my brotha from a different mutha!

With the small exception of doing the recycling because it's not offered in our area, those words and thoughts mirror my own.

Thank you for such a well written piece.

#572162 - 02/16/19 08:10 PM Re: Where's Al Gore when we need him? [Re: GoFirstClass]  
Justification Offline
Admiral
Justification  Offline
Admiral

Fruit Heights, Utah
I think many more people than you and I think that way. Unfortunately it doesn't make good press, and doesn't fit the agenda.

#572163 - 02/16/19 10:10 PM Re: Where's Al Gore when we need him? [Re: GoFirstClass]  
Jack T Offline
Admiral
Jack T  Offline
Admiral

Southern California
I'm with you, too, Justi. Great thoughts.

Have a great day of boating
2012 Monterey 224 FS,
300 HP Volvo Penta with catalytic converters

#572167 - 02/17/19 02:35 AM Re: Where's Al Gore when we need him? [Re: GoFirstClass]  
KCook Offline
Admiral
KCook  Offline
Admiral

Phoenix
Well a good part of my career was in hard science. So you guys can consider me The Enemy. After all, it wouldn't be the first time . . .

#572168 - 02/17/19 11:09 AM Re: Where's Al Gore when we need him? [Re: GoFirstClass]  
Justification Offline
Admiral
Justification  Offline
Admiral

Fruit Heights, Utah
Kelly,
If you're feeling like The Enemy instead of having a different view that is a major part of the problem.
Acknowledging that there is a difference of opinion, and that there are multiple factors in the change of climate, and there is a difference between causation and correlation is not saying someone is an Enemy.
That Enemy mindset is what has caused this country to degrade into the bipolar mess we are in. Rather we should all strive for common ground we all can work towards instead of the mindset of "you're my enemy and I must destroy you".
I consider you a friend who has some common love of boating, and probably a lot more in common than you would ever know. To consider me as your enemy makes dialogue impossible, so no solution will ever be found.

#572169 - 02/17/19 02:55 PM Re: Where's Al Gore when we need him? [Re: GoFirstClass]  
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
Kelly, for many years I've known that you and I have differing views on certain topics, climate change being one of them. That has never kept me from thinking of you as a friend. I've never thought of you as an enemy.

I find it interesting that in our country and around the world people "hate" each other because of differences in politics or because of one's religion.

In my 70+ years I've had hundreds and hundreds of people I've worked with and considered friends and I can't think of a single person or single instance where I knew what their religion was, or usually didn't know if they attended a church of their choice. It's just not something I've ever considered important about a person.

Same thing with politics. Unless a discussion on a boat or around a campfire turns to politics I seldom know what a person's political leanings are.

I guess I have found more reasons to like a person than I have to dislike them. With certain exceptions, of course, there have been very few people whose path has crossed mine that I have disliked.

I guess my ignorance about a person's politics and religion have led to my bliss.

Last edited by GoFirstClass; 02/17/19 02:56 PM.

#572170 - 02/17/19 04:59 PM Re: Where's Al Gore when we need him? [Re: GoFirstClass]  
tpenfield Offline
Admiral
tpenfield  Offline
Admiral

Cape Cod, MA
Originally Posted by GoFirstClass
Ted, does that mean the Cape will disappear?

I know we can't really predict what the future holds for us weather wise. Like you said, we'll adjust to whatever Mama Nature tosses our way.

Yes, to some extent. The more near term effect will be that we will all have deeper water moorings laugh

Last edited by tpenfield; 02/17/19 05:00 PM.

Regards, Ted

Formula 330SS

My Boat Web Sites

Moderated by  Admin 

Sponsors
New Topics
Best site for selling boats?
by CaptMurphy. 05/01/19 11:00 AM
Light Connector Pins Nearly Broken Off
by Jack T. 04/30/19 02:41 AM
Wally's clearance aisle
by Frantically Relaxing. 04/30/19 01:04 AM
Bravo cone clutch slipping fix
by Dave R. 04/25/19 09:53 AM
New Westerbeke 15KW Generator
by GoFirstClass. 04/18/19 09:26 PM
Where to begin and in what order
by Silverbullet. 03/30/19 12:08 PM
Anyone with experience with HIGH pressure washers?
by Frantically Relaxing. 03/25/19 10:57 PM
Shopping for another boat...
by Dave R. 11/06/18 06:46 PM
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 79 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Fish307, CaptMurphy, Paldotcom, Leftynd21, lasvegas
5477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23
Topics37,265
Posts563,746
Members5,477
Most Online252
Aug 5th, 2017