Your On-Line Port'o'Call

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#572056 - 01/24/19 02:53 AM It's been an interesting year....or so...  
Parrott_head Offline
Admiral of Vice
Parrott_head  Offline
Admiral of Vice
Admiral

Where do I start?.....

A bit more than a year ago my daughter, one half of the S&D team, tied the knot with her longtime boy friend. He is a fine young man and has proven to be a good husband. The wedding was held at Purcell, Oklahoma in a building that dates to 1895 or so and was originally an Opera House. The wedding went off without a much of a hitch. While walking her down the aisle her long veil, which hung to the ground, become hooked on a splinter in the floor. I had to walk back and unhook her. They are now living up by Denver, Colorado in a condo with two dogs and two cats.

My wife retired from a job she had been at for 37 years. It was extremely stressful and was detrimental to her health. One patron of her business had been banned for a bit for uncivil behavior. He's a self taught jail house lawyer and has filed suit against her employer and specifically named her. We are in no real danger as since he was self taught he is not very good at filing papers and all that, furthermore she is indemnified by her employer. He is a bit of a mental case and due to this I took the concealed carry class and got my permit. I have owned firearms most of my adult life and shot a lot of trap with my uncles, but until this yahoo got on my radar I never felt the need to carry.

With the Admiral now in Fleet Reserve status we loaded up our 5th wheel and took off to Colorado to see our daughter and SIL. We camped in a nearby state park and would go every morning to their house and do some simple repairs. We gave them some Home Depot gift cards and with them we installed all new lights and repaired some switches that weren't wired as they should have been. I replaced the false floor in the cabinet below the sink that had gotten wet and rotted away, covering the plywood with vinyl flooring so if it gets wet they have some barrier.

From there we took off and boondocked (no hookup, just generators) up into Wyoming and Montana. In Wyoming we stayed on Wild Horse road, outside of Dubois, Very scenic area with tons of free camping. Sadly I had my back raise hell with me and was out of service for a few days.
We would go into town and using the free WiFi at the library download movies from Netflix then watch them back at the trailer when we would run the generators for the evening so the batteries would be fully charged.

From there we went to Kalispel (sp?) Montana and camped for about three weeks at our daughters inlaws place. Very nice people that are tons of fun to be with.
We worked our way back home pretty much were finished for the season.

One major thing in my life has been having to place my mother and step father into an Assisted Living Center. Both are in their 80's. This happened in Feb of 2018, just after my daughter married. My step father had to have a penile implant removed. He had forgotten he had one and some how turned the damn thing on and it wouldn't shut off. After surgery he was placed in a skilled nursing center to determine if he should go home or not. After three weeks they called my mother in and said that he was unable to live at home any longer. My mom insisted that she could take care of him and that he would be leaving to come back to her house. The last two years at their houses had been an unmitigated disaster with frequent ambulance calls and trips to the hospital for a whole litany of reasons. When mom again insisted that he was going home with her I finally spoke up and told mom that if he went home with her she was to no longer call me, or my brother, at all hours of the night, to help them. I stated that if she felt she could really care for him then she would have to do it alone, there would be no help from her sons. She thought this over and realized it was hopeless.

We move them into an Assisted Living Center and had an estate sale and sold the house. I am POA for my mother. At the end of the estate sale there was a lot of stuff left over. Per the contract they would clean everything out and leave the house dusted, swept and mopped. My brother wanted to instead have one of his step kids try to sell what was left. I told him the terms of the contract but he insisted we let his step kid make a buck. I told him he could approach the estate liquidation company and see what they say, but if he were to do this the house had to be clean and vacant in short order. Suddenly he wasn't so eager.

Well it wasn't a month an mom discovered she couldn't stand living with him and his dementia. His son picked him up for a weekend. My SF niece and I hit the second hand furniture stores and moved him into another apartment in the same complex.
Oh, one thing I should add. While SF was at the skilled nursing center his son found out I was his fathers POA. That made things interesting for a bit. I have had the position for a long time, just never told him as it was not my position to do so. He had confided in me some things he would not have if he had known.

So anyway i wind up going to take care of issues with them two or three times a week. He started drawing his Long Term Care insurance soon after he moved in, mom has just now started drawing hers.

Mom is slipping mentally pretty bad. She and my brother have always had a strained relationship. Over the years they would get in arguments and mom would ask me to mend fences. Last Christmas, while I was out of town, they had a big blow out and now are not on speaking terms. Mom asks me about him and I tell her I am not getting involved. He and I have a good relationship, but he can be very judgemental and petty. He also is not dealing well with mom's mental state and cannot develop tools to deal with her.

I had to file with the state to get mom's drivers license revoked. That set her off. She had driven their car through a brick wall....not into a wall...but alll....the ...way...through the wall.
My SF niece is co POA for him but lives out of state. She is a retired lawyer. We work well together and have each other's back. When SF son and his family discovered I was POA they had meetings with SF niece and expressed concern that I was going to ride roughshod over them. She informed them that I was executing my responsibilities in a proper and legal manner. They are a high drama family. My SF granddaughter sent me a long, nasty text message that basically read like a declaration of war, saying her family would mop up the floor with mine and that her daddy was a fine and outstanding man. I think she was upset because I caught him using his father credit cards to pay for all sorts of personal items for himself and family. He was supposed to be getting his father's medications filled. I called him a thief, he wanted to repay his father the money but the card had been shut down. I gave him a list of the charges he had made and to which merchants and told him he at 30 days to make things right with the merchants or I would turn it over to the District Attorney. He is a licensed insurance agent and this sort of thing would cause him to loose his license.

Not long after we got everyone settled in at the ALC it got funny. Seems Mr. Wonderful (SF son) raided the insurance business of all available funds, cleaned out his bank account and moved to Florida with some bimbo. I wonder what his daughter thinks of that? He has had no contact with them since he left. Their home went into foreclosure and now his ex wife, daughter, ex wife's two adult daughters be previous marriage and two grand-kids are all living in a two bedroom apartment. Can you say "Schadenfreude"?

So mom and SF have been in place almost a year. He is getting worse, can't remember if his folks are alive....who his wife is or any of that.

Ok...other things...

Wife and I joined the YMCA and try to go three times a week. I love to swim and spend most of my time doing laps. I hope to do some Yoga soon and regain some flexibility. We are starting to make plans for this years RV travels, mostly instate.

My son was working at a automotive rebuilder factory and going to school part time. One day he asked us if he could live at home, work part time and go to school full time. We agreed to this. He is now in his second semester, junior year studying economics. He found he loves math. He currently has a 3.2 GPA. He works out at the gym a lot and is in fine physical shape. He looks like Prince Harry with his ginger complexion. He was dating a young lady for awhile but after a few month broke up. He is doing like most young folks these days and using an app to arrange his social life. He seems to have his head screwed on straight. He is enthused about his choice of study. I hope he can find employment with that degree.

Well, that's about it.

Feel free to comment or ask questions....

Smooth sailing to all of you...

Former owner of a 2002 Four Winns 234 FunShip
'16 F250 4x4 Oil Burner
"Hey, if I'm a Vice Admiral, which vice do I get to claim?"
A Word from Our Sponsors
#572057 - 01/24/19 03:32 AM Re: It's been an interesting year....or so... [Re: Parrott_head]  
KCook Offline
Admiral
KCook  Offline
Admiral

Phoenix
Yikes! sick

thesimplelife

#572058 - 01/24/19 09:09 AM Re: It's been an interesting year....or so... [Re: Parrott_head]  
captkevin Offline
Admiral
captkevin  Offline
Admiral

Chicago, IL
Sounds like you have been busy.

2004 Rinker 232
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Laramie 4x4
#572061 - 01/24/19 02:05 PM Re: It's been an interesting year....or so... [Re: Parrott_head]  
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
Wow, when it rains, it pours, doesn't it. Keep your head up and try to stay above all that fracas. You'll be better for it.

"Beachcomber" 1995 Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge

Anchor's down......Bottoms Up!
#572067 - 01/24/19 10:22 PM Re: It's been an interesting year....or so... [Re: Parrott_head]  
Parrott_head Offline
Admiral of Vice
Parrott_head  Offline
Admiral of Vice
Admiral

Was just notified today that my son now has a 3.3 GPA. GREAT!!!

Former owner of a 2002 Four Winns 234 FunShip
'16 F250 4x4 Oil Burner
"Hey, if I'm a Vice Admiral, which vice do I get to claim?"
#572068 - 01/24/19 10:56 PM Re: It's been an interesting year....or so... [Re: Parrott_head]  
captkevin Offline
Admiral
captkevin  Offline
Admiral

Chicago, IL
Awesome news

2004 Rinker 232
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Laramie 4x4

Moderated by  Admin 

Sponsors
New Topics
Bravo cone clutch slipping fix
by Dave R. 04/25/19 09:53 AM
New Westerbeke 15KW Generator
by GoFirstClass. 04/18/19 09:26 PM
I made this guy's day...
by GoFirstClass. 04/17/19 08:08 PM
Propeller Repair and Manufacturing
by Jack T. 04/15/19 02:21 AM
Removing Magnesium from SS Propeller
by Jack T. 04/14/19 04:25 PM
Boat vs. jet ski - what are the pros and cons?
by Jetdrift. 04/14/19 03:40 PM
new age high tech dumb phenomonon...
by Frantically Relaxing. 04/14/19 02:21 PM
Hey FR, is this your lake?
by GoFirstClass. 04/05/19 02:02 PM
Good News & Bad News
by Dock Holiday. 04/01/19 10:02 AM
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 80 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
lasvegas, Jetdrift, goofer, MaiTaiMark, GreenHornet
5474 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23
Topics37,263
Posts563,711
Members5,475
Most Online252
Aug 5th, 2017