#572033 - 01/20/19 01:39 PM Just me, stirring the pot  
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA

Enigmas...
(1) Isn't it weird that in America our flag and our culture offend so many people, but our benefits don't?

(2) How can the federal government ask U.S. citizens to pay back student loans, when illegal aliens are receiving a free education?

(3) Only in America are legal citizens labeled "racists" and "Nazis," but illegal aliens are called "Dreamers."

(4) Liberals say, "If confiscating all guns saves just one life, it's worth it." Well then, if deporting all illegals saves just one life, wouldn't that be worth it?

(5) I can't quite figure out how you can proudly wave the flag of another country but consider it punishment to be sent back there.

(6) The Constitution: It doesn't need to be rewritten; it needs to be reread.

( 7) William F. Buckley said: "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other points of view and are then shocked and offended when they discover there are other points of view."

(8) Joseph Sobran said: "'Need' now means wanting someone else's money. 'Greed' means wanting to keep your own. 'Compassion' is when a politician arranges the transfer."

(9) Florida has had 119 hurricanes since 1850, but some people still insist the last one was due to climate change.

You can’t fix stupid, no matter how much duct tape you use!

"Beachcomber" 1995 Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge

Anchor's down......Bottoms Up!
A Word from Our Sponsors
#572035 - 01/21/19 03:50 PM Re: Just me, stirring the pot [Re: GoFirstClass]  
Dock Holiday Offline
Admiral
Dock Holiday  Offline
Admiral

Lake Geneva, WI
GFC - Good stuff, especially #7 and #8.

Last edited by Dock Holiday; 01/22/19 12:15 AM.
#572036 - 01/22/19 11:00 AM Re: Just me, stirring the pot [Re: GoFirstClass]  
tpenfield Offline
Admiral
tpenfield  Offline
Admiral

Cape Cod, MA
Although it is in the dead of winter (for the Northern hemisphere folks) and perhaps some are experiencing cabin fever, there is a rule on this forum regarding posting political threads, as quoted below. . .

[Quote]

"It is the longstanding policy of this board to NOT allow purely political debate. There are plenty of web sites out there for that. If you feel compelled to enter into a lively political debate, please find another forum to do it in. Any political topics will be deleted on sight and without notice of any kind."

[Quote\]

. . . I know that enforcement has been inconsistent over the years, but perhaps it would be best not to enter into dialogue when these types of threads occur.

Regards, Ted

Formula 330SS

My Boat Web Sites
#572037 - 01/22/19 10:22 PM Re: Just me, stirring the pot [Re: GoFirstClass]  
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
Ted, thank you. In light of that gentle reminder I included #9 above which is not political in nature, it deals with nature.
If Admin wants to delete this I certainly will understand. I was trying to ingest some activity into a dying forum.

#572038 - 01/23/19 04:52 AM Re: Just me, stirring the pot [Re: GoFirstClass]  
jtheile Offline
Admiral
jtheile  Offline
Admiral

North Ridgeville, Ohio
Originally Posted by GoFirstClass
T I was trying to ingest some activity into a dying forum.

And that's the best you could come up with. You certainly proved your last sentence correct.

Joe
Four Winns 225 Sundowner
#572040 - 01/23/19 08:47 AM Re: Just me, stirring the pot [Re: GoFirstClass]  
Justification Online content
Admiral
Justification  Online Content
Admiral

Fruit Heights, Utah
I was trying to ingest some activity into a dying forum.

And it has been a painful thing to watch.
This forum has been a part of my life since it's inception and I have made some good friends and met some great people through it.
I've alway warned my kids about meeting people through the internet, and my defenses are even greater than when this board started since Social media has expanded exponentially since then.
Even with those warnings we've met up with folks at Lake Powell, been to LadyBugs house for a christmas party, had Parrothead and the Mrs to the house, Had FR do some amazing engraving on some rifles for my Boys (my Buoys?) and been sponsored by GFC at his Yacht Club after cruising on his boat during a Christmas Parade.
While we probably won't get back to the Heydays of yore, I only hope the board can continue to exist and get more active as Boat Show seasons then we finally get to summer boating.

Beer makes you feel the way
You should feel without beer.
#572046 - 01/23/19 11:00 AM Re: Just me, stirring the pot [Re: Justification]  
Dock Holiday Offline
Admiral
Dock Holiday  Offline
Admiral

Lake Geneva, WI
Originally Posted by Justification
I was trying to ingest some activity into a dying forum.

And it has been a painful thing to watch.
This forum has been a part of my life since it's inception and I have made some good friends and met some great people through it.
I've alway warned my kids about meeting people through the internet, and my defenses are even greater than when this board started since Social media has expanded exponentially since then.
Even with those warnings we've met up with folks at Lake Powell, been to LadyBugs house for a christmas party, had Parrothead and the Mrs to the house, Had FR do some amazing engraving on some rifles for my Boys (my Buoys?) and been sponsored by GFC at his Yacht Club after cruising on his boat during a Christmas Parade.
While we probably won't get back to the Heydays of yore, I only hope the board can continue to exist and get more active as Boat Show seasons then we finally get to summer boating.

+1

I was an early member over at BoaterEd where I found myself getting caught up in heated discussions on a daily basis. I eventually realized that I was no longer going there to discuss boating, but for the heated discussions. Things got so crazy over there that they assigned unique ids to their members, calling them Registered Offenders (RO for short). So I left BoaterEd looking for a safe haven and was fortunate to find ABC just starting up. I am very thankful that BABC is very well run, and controversial threads and heated discussions are not allowed.

I too hope that this site picks up again. Wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to increase the traffic levels?

#572053 - 01/23/19 10:18 PM Re: Just me, stirring the pot [Re: GoFirstClass]  
Parrott_head Offline
Admiral of Vice
Parrott_head  Offline
Admiral of Vice
Admiral

I've enjoyed both the online camaraderie (why is comrade spelled with an "O" and cAmaraderie with an "A"?) and the in person visits. Hosted a couple of BABC parties at Texoma and met others at their "Home Port". I came here from another boating forum at the request of Seabuddy...
I have gotten out of boats and into RV's but there seems to be more humor in the boating crowd, perhaps because of the younger folks and boating is more social in nature, I feel.

It saddens me to see this forum in decline....i become my online resource for things way outside the realm of the nautical world....seemed like no matter what I needed to know, there was some one on this board that knew the answer and would cheerfully guide me, a more nurturing forum I could not imagine....

Perhaps I should post more often. I have some some "interesting" things happen to me in the last year or so.... I guess that will be the title of my next post.

Former owner of a 2002 Four Winns 234 FunShip
'16 F250 4x4 Oil Burner
"Hey, if I'm a Vice Admiral, which vice do I get to claim?"
#572054 - 01/24/19 12:09 AM Re: Just me, stirring the pot [Re: GoFirstClass]  
WayWeGo Offline
Admiral
WayWeGo  Offline
Admiral

Oakton, VA
I think part of the issue with low traffic is related to how social this site is compared to many boating sites. With much of the social activity having moved from web forums to social media, sites like this have reduced traffic.

Since we have a Trojan boat, I have been participating in a web forum specifically for this brand. Once a Facebook page became popular for Trojans, the forum traffic dropped off significantly. Since there was quite a bit of technical information on the web forum, it has continued to have some good traffic and we have also been successful transferring some of the technical info from the Facebook page to the web forum where it is retained better and much easier to search.

I have made some great friends here and this will always be my boating roots. Maybe those of us who value BABC should try to post more like Parrott_head suggested.

1975 Trojan F36 Convertible, Twin Chrysler 440's
2014 West Marine AL360 Inflatable, 1966 Mercury 6HP, 1992 Mercury 20HP
#572064 - 01/24/19 01:26 PM Re: Just me, stirring the pot [Re: GoFirstClass]  
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
Good idea, and I agree. This was my first boating forum and I'd hate to see it go away. I belong to 3 other boating forums, two of which are pretty busy and one that is slower than BABC if you can imagine that.

Since my boat is TU for awhile until I get the genset rebuilt, I don't have any recent boating activities or pics to share.

#572066 - 01/24/19 05:48 PM Re: Just me, stirring the pot [Re: GoFirstClass]  
KCook Offline
Admiral
KCook  Offline
Admiral

Phoenix
Good idea, and I agree. This was my first boating forum and I'd hate to see it go away. I belong to 3 other boating forums, two of which are pretty busy and one that is slower than BABC if you can imagine that.

Since my boat is TU for awhile until I get the genset rebuilt, I don't have any recent boating activities or pics to share.

Let's see. Had to Google this, but my first boating forum was boattalk. Per this thread -

http://www.boatingabc.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/521079

Now most forums from that era are long gone of course. Interesting linky -

https://web.archive.org/web/*/boating%20forums

wayback

Last edited by KCook; 01/24/19 11:17 PM. Reason: revision
#572071 - 01/25/19 11:20 AM Re: Just me, stirring the pot [Re: GoFirstClass]  
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
I read that thread from 2011 that was linked to and have a question....

Who the heck is Walt?

#572073 - 01/25/19 12:30 PM Re: Just me, stirring the pot [Re: GoFirstClass]  
KCook Offline
Admiral
KCook  Offline
Admiral

Phoenix
I read that thread from 2011 that was linked to and have a question....

Who the heck is Walt?

My memory is not great. But I think he was in Colorado, his business was boat repair. Had his own web site for boat repair topics. Definitely a character.

humantarget

#572075 - 01/25/19 02:13 PM Re: Just me, stirring the pot [Re: GoFirstClass]  
Capn Morgan Offline
Scallywag
Capn Morgan  Offline
Scallywag
Admiral

West Michigan
If any of you want to take a look at the chaos that happens on some boating forums.
Check out the Four Winns site link below (no worries, it is safe to click)
https://www.smwebhead.com/phpBB3/se...amp;sid=f58cdeb8aab9eb2c8628333fefd0628b

If you feel like it, keep clicking on next page in "Active Topics" and see about 2 weeks worth of Spam attacks. Owner of the
site posted a week ago that he switched servers, and p'd off someone, who promptly filled the site with Spam. Not sure if anyone on
earth would have time to try an block all that crap that was posted.

So hats off to Admin for keeping this site virtually spam free for all these years.

2004 Chaparral 235 SSi
[Linked Image]
#572076 - 01/25/19 02:21 PM Re: Just me, stirring the pot [Re: GoFirstClass]  
captkevin Offline
Admiral
captkevin  Offline
Admiral

Chicago, IL
It seems they have been have some issues for awhile over there. Hopefully they get it worked out soon.

2004 Rinker 232
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Laramie 4x4
#572083 - 01/25/19 11:53 PM Re: Just me, stirring the pot [Re: GoFirstClass]  
Frantically Relaxing Offline
Admiral
Frantically Relaxing  Offline
Admiral

Walt was a bit out there-- if memory serves, his signature was 'it ain't rocket surgery'...

And then there was Will... laugh

And you want to see a slow forum, try Houseboat Magazine forums...

Lotta memories due to BABC-- had Justy & LBS & families out to Utah Lake the year of the Party Cruiser, added GFC to the bunch and we all met up for Mexican food awhile back; I've engraved ship bells for Al and GFC, I even made a 'Careful with that axe, Eugene!' sign for GFC--- no no, wait, that one was for Dave and Roger, GFC's was a "Careful with those antenna's, Mike!" sign... wink -- I also fixed Bruce's transom door and had a friend of mine repaint it-- still curious how it's holding up as IIRC Bruce was told a new paint job would only last 2 years. And Bruce, for no reason other than he's a great guy, sent me a rudder gauge for the SkipperLiner -- which is still sitting on the shelf by our front door, one of these days I'll actually it installed-- hell, one of these days I may actually go boating again!

And does anyone remember, I used to gather up everyone's pics and hosted the "Members Boats" photo section... FWIW, I still have every one of those pics...

Yup, BABC has been more than just a small part of my life the past 16+ years grouphug

[Linked Image]
#572084 - 01/25/19 11:53 PM Re: Just me, stirring the pot [Re: GoFirstClass]  
casualboater Offline
Admiral
casualboater  Offline
Admiral

Highland, Michigan
This place is great, also my first entry when we got our boat many moons ago. I too have had the pleasure of face to face meeting with quite a few members, and been able to help some out myself.

It is a different online world now. I have a site I used to visit for trips to Lake St Claire. That site is now basically dead, but the associated Facebook page is full of content. I'm old school, I like my forums better. I like the layer of privacy they still provide.

I'll keep checking in as long as the lights are on, and try do contribute something useful at least a few times a year.

1989 Larson DC 190
2007 Saab 9-7x
#572085 - 01/26/19 10:44 AM Re: Just me, stirring the pot [Re: GoFirstClass]  
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
and as long as the lights are on I'll still be gently stirrin' the pot.

Moderated by  Admin 

Sponsors
New Topics
Where's Al Gore when we need him?
by GoFirstClass. 02/12/19 09:21 PM
14-18' Deep Vee with a Self-Bailing Deck
by hershey2014. 02/12/19 04:24 PM
Would you buy a salvage title vehicle?
by Frantically Relaxing. 02/09/19 08:38 PM
Remember that time
by GoFirstClass. 02/08/19 01:00 PM
Boat (and RV) Electronics
by Al. 02/03/19 08:40 PM
Nigel Calder in Kittery ME 2-2-19
by Dave R. 02/01/19 12:19 PM
And speaking of acquiring a different vehicle--
by Frantically Relaxing. 01/28/19 12:20 AM
It's been an interesting year....or so...
by Parrott_head. 01/24/19 01:53 AM
Income Tax estimator
by Justification. 01/23/19 11:44 AM
3/4 ton Vs 1 ton truck
by Justification. 01/23/19 08:58 AM
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (CDA_Boater, Justification), 97 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Cruzguy64, fishmasters247, millie, okielaker, Rbt18
5466 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23
Topics37,240
Posts563,479
Members5,466
Most Online252
Aug 5th, 2017