Rate This Thread
#572024 - 12/31/18 09:46 PM Home Made Trailer  
MarkHB Offline
Dressed for dinner
MarkHB  Offline
Dressed for dinner
Admiral

CA
Quite the ritual to get the boat out of the water and into dry storage for the winter.
[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgopDpAembU[/video]

24' Monterey Explorer
Honda PWC
http://www.picturetrail.com/markhb

Golf!! Waste of a good gun range.
A Word from Our Sponsors
#572025 - 12/31/18 10:42 PM Re: Home Made Trailer [Re: MarkHB]  
Jack T Offline
Admiral
Jack T  Offline
Admiral

Southern California
What a ritual. Good thing they only take it in in the Fall. Of course, that would be only IF maintenance is not necessary during the summer.

I guess they have all the "tough" stuff to pull that boat up a launch ramp--a bit more pavement might be helpful. Two tractors, wow! Before they hooked up the winch, I was wondering why they just don't have a winch with a cable that would reach down to the trailer from the front of the garage. That would eliminate the need for two tractors and the nylon sling straps that have a tendency to break when overloaded or aged--I kept thinking that would be the end of the video, especially while one of the guys is straddling the strap--OUCH!!!.

I also thought the steering lever for the caster wheel is clever. But, as we saw, it didn't always steer the trailer, just skidding sideways on the ground.

Not sure of the overhang at the stern. Anybody think that may create some "hook" after a lot of time on the trailer?

BTW, in regards to this activity, it would be interesting to see how they get it out of the barn and into the water without having it run away from whatever is holding it.

Nice boat, too. That antenna tower is s tremendous plus. It was the simplest part of the whole task.

Have a great day of boating
2012 Monterey 224 FS,
300 HP Volvo Penta with catalytic converters

#572026 - 01/01/19 11:33 AM Re: Home Made Trailer [Re: MarkHB]  
captkevin Offline
Admiral
captkevin  Offline
Admiral

Chicago, IL
Hard to believe they would be so reckless with such a nice boat. Could have gone wrong so many times.

2004 Rinker 232
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Laramie 4x4
#572028 - 01/05/19 12:38 PM Re: Home Made Trailer [Re: captkevin]  
Dock Holiday Offline
Admiral
Dock Holiday  Offline
Admiral

Lake Geneva, WI
Originally Posted by captkevin
Hard to believe they would be so reckless with such a nice boat. Could have gone wrong so many times.

+1

I thought the boat was going to fall off the back of the trailer! ouch

And no bunks! What is the boat resting on? I would not want to be the next owner of that boat!

#572031 - 01/14/19 03:40 AM Re: Home Made Trailer [Re: MarkHB]  
Frantically Relaxing Offline
Admiral
Frantically Relaxing  Offline
Admiral

What it's resting on: There's a pad in the middle of the axle, looks to be wood with probably some old tire sections I think, like up front. There are a few supports/beams/whatever you call them straddling the frame from the axle forward, each with pads in the middle. The beams look like wood but there ARE angle iron supports welded across in places, I'm assuming they're helping support the wood. What's keeping the boat straight up are some cheesy looking but effective pads tied to the rear guide bars, which support the boat at the boat's extreme edges. Plus the guide bars themselves... So then- the entire weight of the boat is being supported by its keel, the strongest part of the boat. And those guide posts are plenty beefy enough to keep the boat from rocking. Nothing to cause any hook that I can see? As to catastrophe, chances are high the worst that would happen is the boat rolls back into the water.

first time we pulled the SkipperLiner out, it was sitting on a single axle narrow-frame trailer with normal 8' wheel spacing; I installed a pair of 4x6 bunks running the length of the trailer, but they're only spaced 33" apart... The boat is 168" wide. The trailer has lateral I-beam supports, but at the time, they weren't bunked to fit the boat; the boat could roll over nearly 6" before any more hull hit the supports- and that's exactly what happened on the hard when the left tires hit a low spot in the asphalt. But the boat righted up fortunately. But what a heart-stopper!

--As to this video, the boat and its pull-out is definitely unorthodox, but I can relate! -- you do what you have to do, and hope for the best I guess laugh

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Admin 

Sponsors
New Topics
Preseason Boat Inspection Guide
by GoFirstClass. 03/14/19 06:24 PM
Great Lakes Boaters
by GoFirstClass. 03/12/19 08:41 PM
The end of an ERA
by Justification. 03/02/19 12:10 PM
VPN, anyone?
by Frantically Relaxing. 02/28/19 02:08 AM
Clear Oil On Floor Beneath Drain Plug
by Dock Holiday. 02/24/19 04:41 PM
Tracking this?
by KCook. 02/18/19 02:21 AM
Where's Al Gore when we need him?
by GoFirstClass. 02/12/19 10:21 PM
Would you buy a salvage title vehicle?
by Frantically Relaxing. 02/09/19 09:38 PM
Boat (and RV) Electronics
by Al. 02/03/19 09:40 PM
And speaking of acquiring a different vehicle--
by Frantically Relaxing. 01/28/19 01:20 AM
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 96 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
BornBoating, Cruzguy64, fishmasters247, millie, okielaker
5467 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23
Topics37,246
Posts563,566
Members5,468
Most Online252
Aug 5th, 2017