Your On-Line Port'o'Call

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#571861 - 10/28/18 10:26 PM 'This site is not secure'-- I'm afraid is true...  
Frantically Relaxing Offline
Admiral
Frantically Relaxing  Offline
Admiral

So how many of you have gotten the 'I got all your contacts and have been taking pictures of you with your camera which I'll send to everyone in your address book if you don't pay me!" emails?

I've gotten about 3 so far. And up till now I could care less as I know it's just a bitcoin scam. I don't have any camera's anyway wink -

Just got another one tonight, same basic BS as before, but with one glaring exception-- one of my passwords was used in this email. I have many variations of it, but there's only 3 places I use the variation sent to me in conjunction with my email address:
BoatingABC and 2 other forums.

So this effing troll obviously nabbed this password from one of these places. Not sure which, but since I DO use variables of it for more important activities, now I have to go thru my logins list and change all the passwords that resemble this one.

I'm getting very weary AND wary of pretty much all things internet and social media. And smart phones- y'all DO know they're listening to everything you say, right?

[Linked Image]
A Word from Our Sponsors
#571862 - 10/29/18 08:48 AM Re: 'This site is not secure'-- I'm afraid is true... [Re: Frantically Relaxing]  
WaterWing Offline
Admiral
WaterWing  Offline
Admiral

Chicago
I got that same extortion email. But the password it picked up was not from this site.
Sure is a frighting email though. Darn Stormy Daniels.

2001 Larson SEi-230 5.7 Merc/Alpha1
2013 Ford Explorer
#571863 - 10/29/18 09:49 AM Re: 'This site is not secure'-- I'm afraid is true... [Re: Frantically Relaxing]  
captkevin Offline
Admiral
captkevin  Offline
Admiral

Chicago, IL
Scary stuff. Can' be too careful these days.

2004 Rinker 232
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Laramie 4x4
#571864 - 10/29/18 12:37 PM Re: 'This site is not secure'-- I'm afraid is true... [Re: Frantically Relaxing]  
tpenfield Offline
Admiral
tpenfield  Offline
Admiral

Cape Cod, MA
FR - you have been on this forum long enough to know how scary it can get smile

Since the login credentials here on BABC do not use an email address, it may more likely be one of the other 2 sites that got compromised.

Go here: http://haveibeenpwned.com/

and put in the email addresses that you have used to see the extent and source of the compromises.

A best practice would be to use different styles of passphrases for different types of websites. Forums can probably have a fairly 'loose' style, whereas your banking websites should be the most rigorous.

Last edited by tpenfield; 10/29/18 12:40 PM.

Regards, Ted

Formula 330SS

My Boat Web Sites
#571866 - 10/29/18 03:18 PM Re: 'This site is not secure'-- I'm afraid is true... [Re: Frantically Relaxing]  
WayWeGo Offline
Admiral
WayWeGo  Offline
Admiral

Oakton, VA
I am pretty sure Admin is more careful than most system admins.

FWIW, I keep my camera covered by tape when it is not in use, something I learned from my (no longer) teenage daughters.

About 10 years ago, my online banking account was compromised and I got a lot more careful about accounts I care about. I use long complicated passwords that are kept in a password vault that is VERY difficult to hack and I copy/paste out of it rather than type in passwords just in case someone gets a keyboard scanner past my defenses. And that password vault is only a local copy that I keep careful control of.

1975 Trojan F36 Convertible, Twin Chrysler 440's
2014 West Marine AL360 Inflatable, 1966 Mercury 6HP, 1992 Mercury 20HP
#571867 - 10/29/18 03:39 PM Re: 'This site is not secure'-- I'm afraid is true... [Re: WaterWing]  
Justification Offline
Admiral
Justification  Offline
Admiral

Fruit Heights, Utah
Originally Posted by WaterWing
I got that same extortion email. But the password it picked up was not from this site.
Sure is a frighting email though. Darn Stormy Daniels.

Not sure I want to see a picture of anyone's face, especially mine, when looking at Stormy ouch

Is anyone using avast software password vault?

Been lucky so far, but I know it's just a matter of time before something sneaks through

Beer makes you feel the way
You should feel without beer.
#571874 - 10/30/18 11:34 PM Re: 'This site is not secure'-- I'm afraid is true... [Re: Frantically Relaxing]  
Frantically Relaxing Offline
Admiral
Frantically Relaxing  Offline
Admiral

I did some searching after the fact and it wasn't from this site, I use an alias email on this site. Was likely the houseboat board as it's the only site I've logged into within the past year with the right email/pass combo.

And I'm here to tell ya, Bill gates and the rest of the greedy high-tech cyber-a-holes can kiss my effing donkey. I read an online article a couple of years ago from a known computer expert (back then at least and I forgot who) that stated flatly that Bill Gates wants NO XP's in service, period, with Vista, 7 and 8 also in his sights. And he will do whatever sneaky crap is necessary to make that happen. And it has. In the past 6 months every XP computer in my house has been rendered totally useless as to the 'outside world' - no browsers will work correctly, video players won't work or update, Adobe generated files are all "corrupt" to my XP's, no TurboTax, no new Quickbooks... SO, in the past couple of month's I've converted my XP's over to 7's. And is seems the 'Kill the 7's' process has already begun. Not ONE of my 7's will successfully update. And what DOES update just screws up the computer! Yesterday I had to run TWO system restores on a laptop-that CAME with 7- because 2 updates did actually install, after which the computer went into an endless loop of boot-up, shut-down boot-up shut-down... But the pisser? Before the updates the laptop ended up with 2 viruses, which I had MS security essentials remove. And even though I have Automatic Updates killed, EVEN IN THE REGISTRY, Microsoft took it upon themselves to force the updates anyway, one or both of which re-wrote the registry and turned Updates back on!

And the same basic thing happened to the other two just-converted 7's! I didn't get the screwy boot-down thing, but they too had the viruses, and my turned-off updates became turned on! And for what, they won't load anyway!!

But all this nonsense is on purpose- to get me (you) to give up hassling with 'this POS old computer' and upgrade... Conspiracy theory? I'm not so sure. Ever use the built-in XP virtual machine that comes with Win7? Ever use a GOOD XP virtual machine? A Virtual Box XP run like greased lightning, but the MS built-in XP is molasses in slow motion. It's SO frustratingly slow that-- well, you just give up using it... How clever is THAT marketing strategy!? Next time you'll just give in easier! (and then we get 8.turd...) rofl

I don't know HOW many people told me I was knuking futs for keeping my XP's online after the 2014 support cutoff. Know what? I've had SEVEN XP' online since then, THREE of them with NO antivirus software on them. Not a ONE of them got a virus in 4 years! Got some sent in the mail, but NONE ever got ON the computer...

In contrast-- I've had three win7's online for 2 months and one for almost a year, and I've had NINE viruses so far I've had to remove. Let me think, which OS is the most secure?? (a certain email server comes to mind, but I digress) grin

I have FOUR laser engravers, ELEVEN CNC engraving machines and ONE vinyl cutter in this house that I DEPEND ON to make my living, and only FOUR of them MIGHT work on windows 10. Pretty sure only three... And of those three or four, NONE of the software I currently use will run on Win10!

So, as Bill and Co. systematically render my perfectly operational computers useless, I'm supposed to just buy new machinery and software just because they think my life will be better on a Win10?

Go **** *********'s you greedy ************'s ....and FWIW, Apple is of no use to me either...

sorry for the rant, but hackers, scammers and greedy billionaires are really getting to me lately... at least I gave you my nice version... wink

Oh yeah, and did I mention some puke hit my bank account to make an Epay to HIS Chase credit card to the tune of $1603 last week?

"Off the Grid" is starting to have a ring to it....

Again, sorry... frustration...

[Linked Image]
#571876 - 11/01/18 06:47 AM Re: 'This site is not secure'-- I'm afraid is true... [Re: tpenfield]  
casualboater Offline
Admiral
casualboater  Offline
Admiral

Highland, Michigan
Originally Posted by tpenfield
FR - you have been on this forum long enough to know how scary it can get smile

Since the login credentials here on BABC do not use an email address, it may more likely be one of the other 2 sites that got compromised.

Go here: http://haveibeenpwned.com/

and put in the email addresses that you have used to see the extent and source of the compromises.

A best practice would be to use different styles of passphrases for different types of websites. Forums can probably have a fairly 'loose' style, whereas your banking websites should be the most rigorous.

I gave this a shot, also heard about it on a tech podcast. It said I had 6 issues, but most of the sites I have never heard of let alone logged into for anything. Don't know what to believe or trust anymore.

1989 Larson DC 190
2007 Saab 9-7x
#571878 - 11/01/18 07:18 PM Re: 'This site is not secure'-- I'm afraid is true... [Re: Frantically Relaxing]  
Admin Offline
Admin  Offline

Admiral

Cyberland
Not a ONE of them got a virus in 4 years!

How would you know? Truly. You could be, and likely are, infested up the wazoo. Running XP and being connected to the internet with it about assures it.

The good viruses sit there undetected by even the best anti-virus software and that's even when you're running a "modern" OS with decent anti-virus software.

Folks...

Here's the truth. This site is NOT secure. How would you know you might ask? Simply because this site is not running with an SSL cert. Meaning, the URL begins with "http" and not "https" with a little green lock icon to the left of it.

Any information you exchange with this site, INCLUDING your login credentials (user name AND password) is sent over the internet in clear plain text. Anyone who might be sniffing data packets between you and this site can see it.

This is internet security 101 stuff. Anyone not knowledgeable about such things should immediately unplug their computer from the internet.

Mike

BoatingABC.com
My imaginary friend thinks you have serious problems.
#571881 - 11/02/18 01:26 AM Re: 'This site is not secure'-- I'm afraid is true... [Re: Frantically Relaxing]  
KCook Offline
Admiral
KCook  Offline
Admiral

Phoenix
Yup, I started getting the password reveal e-mail threats several weeks ago. None of the passwords matched my BABC password, which is unique. So, I've changed my password at the sites where I was using it. In every case I got in ahead of the threat, no harm done. Have always kept high value passwords (online banking) on paper, hand printed. Vaults do me no good because I would just forget how to access the darned vault (senility sucks). I also have files with lists of common sites and passwords on my hard drive. Now I have made one change for these files. Instead of stating the password explicitly I enter a hint for the password.

My biggest pain was getting one of my Wordpress blogs hacked. There are a zillion DIY tools to download to fix these intrusions, but none worked. Ended up having to switch to a premium "managed" host, both to get the hack cleaned up and to offload any future attacks. Now, whenever a hack does occur, it's the new host's problem, not mine.

soitgoes

#571882 - 11/04/18 08:38 AM Re: 'This site is not secure'-- I'm afraid is true... [Re: Frantically Relaxing]  
WaterWing Offline
Admiral
WaterWing  Offline
Admiral

Chicago
I hope everybody knows that no matter what site or what tool you may have, once you’re on the internet, you are exposed. No such thing as secured. As the hackers and security companies are playing leap frog with each other, you get exposed. Just try to keep private stuff private and off you’re PC, or smart devices, and you won’t feel pain.

2001 Larson SEi-230 5.7 Merc/Alpha1
2013 Ford Explorer
#571883 - 11/04/18 11:22 AM Re: 'This site is not secure'-- I'm afraid is true... [Re: Admin]  
WayWeGo Offline
Admiral
WayWeGo  Offline
Admiral

Oakton, VA
Originally Posted by Admin
The good viruses sit there undetected by even the best anti-virus software and that's even when you're running a "modern" OS with decent anti-virus software.

Even the big guys are getting hit with persistent and pervasive malware that is just about impossible to protect against. Atlanta Cyber Attack There is no way to prevent all such attacks, so you should have adequate backups to allow you to restore your data. The malware is even targeting backups these days, so some thought on how to protect them is time well spent.

One such attack I recently heard about showed signs of infection dating back over six months prior to its discovery.

1975 Trojan F36 Convertible, Twin Chrysler 440's
2014 West Marine AL360 Inflatable, 1966 Mercury 6HP, 1992 Mercury 20HP
#571900 - 11/14/18 11:30 PM Re: 'This site is not secure'-- I'm afraid is true... [Re: Frantically Relaxing]  
Bones Offline
Admiral
Bones  Offline
Admiral

I don't care. Just an oversight by the oversight committee. wink

Moderated by  Admin 

Sponsors
New Topics
Persistence Pays Off
by GoFirstClass. 11/17/18 07:50 PM
Quick question
by Bones. 11/15/18 01:10 AM
Wow! Great to see familiar login names!!!!
by Bones. 11/14/18 11:51 PM
Auctions By Google Express
by MDB1. 11/07/18 03:17 AM
Shopping for another boat...
by Dave R. 11/06/18 05:46 PM
A fitting place for a memorial
by GoFirstClass. 10/30/18 12:25 PM
'This site is not secure'-- I'm afraid is true...
by Frantically Relaxing. 10/28/18 10:26 PM
Plastic Portable Fuel Tank
by Boatbottom. 10/27/18 01:47 PM
2003 Volvo 5.7 gi
by Rbt18. 10/26/18 10:00 PM
Boating On The Columbia
by GoFirstClass. 10/24/18 11:19 PM
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 50 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
denysss, Rbt18, oldnamwaterskier, farmermike, FrankC
5463 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23
Topics37,215
Posts563,241
Members5,462
Most Online252
Aug 5th, 2017