Rate This Thread
#571819 - 10/20/18 11:09 AM Is there a word that's the opposite of Kudos:  
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
If there is, I'm not aware of it but if there is such a term I'd sure apply it to a boat yard in Portland, OR. When I started this thread I didn't mean for it to be so long, but here it is.

Here's my story. I had a transmission on the port engine go out in May when we were bringing the boat back from Portland, OR. I had to leave it at the municipal marina in The Dalles, OR where it crapped out. I wanted to get it back to a boat yard in Portland that I'd had work on the boat in the past. A couple of weeks of horrendous winds followed by 2+ week trip to Europe followed by more horrible winds kept me from getting it down there, but finally in mid-July we got it back down there.

At that time I told them what I wanted fixed (port transmission and generator) and when it needed to be done (NLT October 15). I was assured it would be done and not to worry.

I made repeated calls to them to check on their progress and was assured by Joe (the owner) and Brian (yard foreman) that it would be ready. Wednesday of last week I called again and talked with Brian and told him I thought we would be there around lunch time or a little after.

So Monday we showed up around 10:30 to pick up the boat and cruise it up river to home. Brian came out of his office and appeared to have been caught off guard. His first words were something to the effect that we had showed up about 2 hours earlier than expected and they were "just finishing" some things on the boat and then wanted to wash it. I told him the wash job wasn't necessary and he said it really was because the boat yard had an infestation of bugs and he wanted to wash them of

While waiting I talked with Joe and told him I was disappointed that they'd had the boat for almost 3 months and didn't get the genset done. He mumbled something about the transmission parts that came in to repair it were wrong so he had to send them back and that delayed the repairs by 4 days. I said "C'mon Joe, you had my boat for 3 months. How could a 4 day delay keep you from getting it ready?" He didn't have an answer for that.

So Jim and I were going to take our stuff down the ramp to the boat but would stay out of the way of the workers. When we got down to the boat we found out they did not have the generator running and had only put the boat in the water late the prior Friday night.

I went back to Brian and told him I was very disappointed that they didn't have the gennie running. He stammered around and said "Well, we had it running great when the boat was on the blocks, I just don't know what happened to it."

I said "Really? Please explain to me how you ran my generator on the hard without having a source of water for cooling."

He knew I had caught him in a lie so he mumbled something about being confused between my boat and another.

So around 4:30 when it was definite that they didn't have a clue what was wrong with the genset I told Brian to get my bill ready, that we were taking off. Joe and I took a 30 minute sea trial to make sure the transmission worked (it did). They did prepare my bill, I paid him and we pulled out.

So, here's a warning to boaters in the Portland, OR area. DO NOT take your boat to Multnomah Yacht Repair. If you do, don't expect it to be done on time and don't expect the repairs to be completed if you have more than one job for them to do.

We lost a whole summer waiting for them to get Beachcomber done and I'm pi$$ed off about that.

"Beachcomber" 1995 Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge

Anchor's down......Bottoms Up!
A Word from Our Sponsors
#571820 - 10/20/18 11:34 AM Re: Is there a word that's the opposite of Kudos: [Re: GoFirstClass]  
captkevin Offline
Admiral
captkevin  Offline
Admiral

Chicago, IL
Sorry to hear about generator. Can't imagine how frustrating that must be. At least they were able to get the transmission fixed.

2004 Rinker 232
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Laramie 4x4
#571821 - 10/21/18 12:42 PM Re: Is there a word that's the opposite of Kudos: [Re: GoFirstClass]  
Justification Offline
Admiral
Justification  Offline
Admiral

Fruit Heights, Utah
So sorry it didn't work out like it was supposed to . WIthout the generator are you able to power everything you need off the engines when underway, especially the upcoming Christmas parade goods?
Are you enroute back to Pasco with the boat now?
Hopefully you've got a good reliable mechanic there to do what the other guy was supposed to do.

Beer makes you feel the way
You should feel without beer.
#571822 - 10/21/18 03:58 PM Re: Is there a word that's the opposite of Kudos: [Re: GoFirstClass]  
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
We're home safe and sound and it sure feels good to have the boat in the slip again. Here's a few photos from the trip home. Unlike some of the other trips where we've had 5'-8' waves, this one was very smooth. We had some rough water coming out of Portland for an hour or so and had winds of 25-30 with gusts to 40 but the wind was blowing downstream instead of upstream and that makes the waves smaller.

[Linked Image]
Heading out of Columbia River Yacht Club in Portland where we spent the night and fueled up.
[Linked Image]
I hate these rough waters. Heading to The Dalles Dam.
[Linked Image]
We got a green light to enter
[Linked Image]
Going up
[Linked Image]
Near top and getting ready to exit.
[Linked Image]
The one little bit of excitement we got was seeing a fog bank ahead of us. We saw it in time to fire up the radar before we entered it.
[Linked Image]
In the fog. My wife thinks I spend most of my life in the fog. With the radar on we were able to pick up a couple of fishing boats. It amazes me that they would fish in the channel with a fog that heavy.

All things considered it was a great trip home. Most of the waters were smooth as glass and with only an hour or so of fog to contend with it was a great trip.

It's good to be home.

Last edited by GoFirstClass; 10/22/18 12:20 PM.

#571823 - 10/21/18 04:03 PM Re: Is there a word that's the opposite of Kudos: [Re: GoFirstClass]  
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
Justi, we are blessed to have a GREAT mechanic here in town. He's going to take my boat over to his marina where he has the tools and manpower to pull the genset. He's the only guy I would trust to move my boat without me being on board. He knows when the boat parade is and said he would have the genset fixed before the parade. They're invited to join us for the parade so that's a little added incentive for him to get it done.

As to your question about powering things without the genny, we have everything but heat and air conditioning and the stove. I planned my stops on the way home so we would have power at each of them. It's too dammmm cold to sleep on the boat without heat.

#571824 - 10/22/18 06:58 AM Re: Is there a word that's the opposite of Kudos: [Re: GoFirstClass]  
captkevin Offline
Admiral
captkevin  Offline
Admiral

Chicago, IL
How longs is the trip home & how long does it take. Great pictures as always. Looks like a great trip.

2004 Rinker 232
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Laramie 4x4
#571825 - 10/22/18 08:03 AM Re: Is there a word that's the opposite of Kudos: [Re: GoFirstClass]  
Dave R Offline
Admiral
Dave R  Offline
Admiral

Raymond NH
Such a bummer that it took so long and was not completely fixed. What was actually wrong with the transmission? Was it fixed in the boat or did it need to come out? I confess I know nothing about inboard transmissions, but I would imagine there's not a lot to them. Can you shift them at throttle settings above idle?

How feasible would it be to add extra battery capacity, extra inverter/charger capacity, and much bigger alternators on the engines (and perhaps solar panels) so that the the genset is only a backup? The idea would be that you could run from dusk to dawn on battery alone, in most situations, and recharge the batteries with the big alternators on the engines when underway.

"Mischief Managed"
2000 Regal 2550 LSC
7.4 MPI Bravo 3
#571827 - 10/22/18 12:16 PM Re: Is there a word that's the opposite of Kudos: [Re: Dave R]  
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
Originally Posted by Capt Kevin
How longs is the trip home & how long does it take. Great pictures as always. Looks like a great trip.

Kevin, the trip is only about 228 miles but it takes about 2.5 days. It could be done in 2 days if it were not for having to go through the locks, and the spacing of harbors along the river. There are 4 locks and we had to wait a total of about 1.5 hours to get into them. Not a long time, but it adds to the trip. The spacing of harbors is a big factor. After we leave Portland the next harbor is Hood River (69 miles) but the last time we stayed there they had power problems and couldn't get it to work. The next stop and the one we stayed at is The Dalles. It's another 20 miles but has good power. The next day we go through The Dalles Lock (3 miles from the marina) then John Day Lock (28 miles) and overnight at Arlington (27 miles). The next day we go through McNary Lock (47 miles) then another then it's another 36 miles to home.

Originally Posted by Dave R
Such a bummer that it took so long and was not completely fixed. What was actually wrong with the transmission? Was it fixed in the boat or did it need to come out? I confess I know nothing about inboard transmissions, but I would imagine there's not a lot to them. Can you shift them at throttle settings above idle?

How feasible would it be to a extra battery capacity, extra inverter/charger capacity, and much bigger alternators on the engines (and perhaps solar panels) so that the the genset is only a backup? The idea would be that you could run from dusk to dawn on battery alone, in most situations, and recharge the batteries with the big alternators on the engines when underway.

Dave, when the trans went out the port engine would not come out of forward gear. It had to come out and the boat had to come out of the water to do it. It weighs 525 pounds and took 4 guys to muscle it back about 6 feet to where it could be lifted up through the engine room access door. Then they used a forklift with a set of long forks to lift it and remove it from the boat; The parts that were bad were the "forward gear plates" (I have no clue what those are), then it had to go back into the boat.

I've done that. The boat has a 4KW inverter with its own dedicated battery bank with 3 huge deep cycle batteries to supply power to it. We normally use the genset when we need 240VAC for the stove, heat and A/C, etc.

Last edited by GoFirstClass; 10/22/18 12:22 PM.

#571831 - 10/22/18 05:05 PM Re: Is there a word that's the opposite of Kudos: [Re: GoFirstClass]  
Dave R Offline
Admiral
Dave R  Offline
Admiral

Raymond NH
I found a good article explaining what happened to your tranny. See: https://www.yachtingmagazine.com/clutch-situation I guess they have wet clutches like motorcycles. If it were my boat, I would add oil pressure gauges and temperature gauges to the transmissions, assuming they don't already have them. Would be a great excuse to put an NMEA2000 network on the boat, again, assuming it does not have one already.

"Mischief Managed"
2000 Regal 2550 LSC
7.4 MPI Bravo 3
#571833 - 10/22/18 07:02 PM Re: Is there a word that's the opposite of Kudos: [Re: GoFirstClass]  
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
Dave, thanks for the link. I haven't read the article yet but will in a day or two.

I've thought about putting in a NMEA2000 network but we're not going to keep the boat for a long time so that won't happen. We bought the boat with the idea in mind of spending a summer up in the Puget Sound waters and Canadian waters. After that cruise is done we're going to sell the boat, buy a motorhome and do a couple of years of land cruising.

When we do that we'll keep both of the Boston Whalers we now have (one in WA, one in AZ) and probably will buy a small boat that we can overnight on.. A neighbor has a 268 Sundancer that is probably the best equipped 268 in the country. It has bow and stern thrusters, genset, heat and A/C, a new cockpit vinyl seating setup, etc.

#571840 - 10/23/18 04:28 PM Re: Is there a word that's the opposite of Kudos: [Re: GoFirstClass]  
WayWeGo Offline
Admiral
WayWeGo  Offline
Admiral

Oakton, VA
Dave, many inboard transmissions are similar to automatic transmissions in cars. We have the very common Borg Warner Velvet Drives and you should not shift them except at idle. Once nice thing about them is that you can allow them to spin in neutral when the engine is not running, allowing you to run a twin engine boat on only one engine without having to stop the non-driven shaft.

1975 Trojan F36 Convertible, Twin Chrysler 440's
2014 West Marine AL360 Inflatable, 1966 Mercury 6HP, 1992 Mercury 20HP

Moderated by  Admin 

Sponsors
New Topics
Persistence Pays Off
by GoFirstClass. 11/17/18 07:50 PM
Quick question
by Bones. 11/15/18 01:10 AM
Wow! Great to see familiar login names!!!!
by Bones. 11/14/18 11:51 PM
Auctions By Google Express
by MDB1. 11/07/18 03:17 AM
Shopping for another boat...
by Dave R. 11/06/18 05:46 PM
A fitting place for a memorial
by GoFirstClass. 10/30/18 12:25 PM
'This site is not secure'-- I'm afraid is true...
by Frantically Relaxing. 10/28/18 10:26 PM
Plastic Portable Fuel Tank
by Boatbottom. 10/27/18 01:47 PM
2003 Volvo 5.7 gi
by Rbt18. 10/26/18 10:00 PM
Boating On The Columbia
by GoFirstClass. 10/24/18 11:19 PM
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 50 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
denysss, Rbt18, oldnamwaterskier, farmermike, FrankC
5463 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23
Topics37,215
Posts563,241
Members5,462
Most Online252
Aug 5th, 2017