Your On-Line Port'o'Call

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#571649 - 09/02/18 04:11 PM 4 missing after boats collide, sink on Colorado River  
MarkHB Offline
Dressed for dinner
MarkHB  Offline
Dressed for dinner
Admiral

CA
Four people are missing after two boats crashed and sunk on the Colorado River, ejecting more than a dozen people who were on board, authorities said Sunday.
A recreational boat carrying 10 people and another vessel with six people on board collided head-on Saturday night on a well-traveled stretch of the river that marks the border between California and Arizona, the Mohave County Sheriff's Office said in a statement.

Both boats sank and passing boaters pulled crash victims from the water. One person was found in critical condition and flown to a hospital in Las Vegas, while nine others were taken to local hospitals by ambulance, authorities said.

he crash occurred between two popular marinas and near Moabi Regional Park, a well-traveled recreation area crowded with people enjoying the Labor Day weekend.
Helicopters were deployed immediately after the crash was reported and couldn't locate the missing. Rescuers had to call off the search until Sunday morning because it was too dangerous to put divers in the river after dark. The river's water can range from shallow to 30 feet (9 meters) deep
Authorities reviewed the shoreline after daybreak, but four people were still missing, said Eric Sherwin, spokesman for the San Bernardino County Fire District in California.
"We have four parties unaccounted for and presumed submerged," he said. "It is being treated as a recovery operation."
The cause of the crash is being investigated by Mohave County authorities, Sherwin said. He said low light conditions undoubtedly played a role.
None of the boaters were wearing life vests when the collision occurred, said Anita Mortensen, a spokeswoman for the Mohave County Sheriff's Office.

Link to article

The area on the Colorado is around here
There are lots of boats on this stretch going upstream to Laughlin and downstream to Havasu.
There is also Pirate Cove Resort which would be real busy this weekend.

Last edited by MarkHB; 09/02/18 04:18 PM.

24' Monterey Explorer
Honda PWC
http://www.picturetrail.com/markhb

Golf!! Waste of a good gun range.
A Word from Our Sponsors
#571650 - 09/02/18 05:28 PM Re: 4 missing after boats collide, sink on Colorado River [Re: MarkHB]  
MarkHB Offline
Dressed for dinner
MarkHB  Offline
Dressed for dinner
Admiral

CA
UPDATE:

A search resumed Sunday for four people missing after two boats collided head-on and sank one day earlier in the Colorado River near San Bernardino County’s Moabi Regional Park, along the California-Arizona border, officials said.

Shortly after 8 p.m. Saturday, the Mohave County Sheriff’s Office received several 911 calls regarding the crash in the river between Pirate Cove and the Topock Marina, north of Lake Havasu, the agency stated on Facebook.
Callers told dispatchers that multiple people were in the water, several individuals were missing, and there were multiple injuries as well.
Units from the Sheriff’s Office’s Division of Boating Safety responded to the scene. They determined that a Hallett boat, occupied by 10 people, and a Sleek Craft, with six people on board, collided head-on, authorities said.
“During the collision, all subjects from both boats were ejected into the water, and both boats sank,” the statement read.
The four missing individuals had been riding on the Hallett boat, officials said.
Passing boaters pulled several other people from the water. Deputies and a paramedic located one person, only identified as a female, in a good Samaritan’s boat. She was flown to a Las Vegas-area hospital in critical condition, according to authorities.
Nine other people were transported to area hospitals by ambulance, the Sheriff’s Office stated.
Officials with the San Bernardino County Fire Department announced on Twitter that there were 13 patients: one who was taken to the hospital in Nevada with life-threatening injuries, six who were transported to local hospitals and six who suffered minor injuries. Five of those individuals were treated and released on the scene.
The San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department was assisting the Mohave County Sheriff’s Office in the search operation.
The cause of the crash was under investigation.

24' Monterey Explorer
Honda PWC

#571657 - 09/03/18 12:43 PM Re: 4 missing after boats collide, sink on Colorado River [Re: MarkHB]  
GoFirstClass Online content
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Online Content
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
Mark, thanks for posting this. I read the first part in our local paper. The second part didn't make the paper here.

The crash happened shortly after 8 p.m. That would still have been daylight there though it would be getting into dusk. Makes one wonder about the causes. Rather than speculate I'll wait to see what the news says.

"Beachcomber" 1995 Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge

Anchor's down......Bottoms Up!
#571658 - 09/03/18 04:42 PM Re: 4 missing after boats collide, sink on Colorado River [Re: MarkHB]  
MarkHB Offline
Dressed for dinner
MarkHB  Offline
Dressed for dinner
Admiral

CA
I read this morning they found the body of 1 female. (50 something years old) 2 females and 1 male still missing.

Hearing lots of speculation as to why, some of it makes sense and other, well forget it.

Last edited by MarkHB; 09/03/18 04:43 PM.

24' Monterey Explorer
Honda PWC

#571659 - 09/03/18 06:35 PM Re: 4 missing after boats collide, sink on Colorado River [Re: MarkHB]  
Jack T Offline
Admiral
Jack T  Offline
Admiral

Southern California
One of the things that the news media continues to repeat is that none of the passengers (drivers, too probably) were not wearing life jackets. Depending on the size of the boats, it is also possible that the boats were severely overloaded and were going too fast for conditions--nearly dark because they may have been in the canyon Topak Gorge) that kept whatever light there was from getting to the area they were in.

Nothing has been said about other causes, like drivers' skill and knowledge of the area, speed and alcohol or drugs. Lots of incomplete information that we will never know because the story will get old and the media will no longer cover it.

Mark:
Is there a night time speed limit in these waters?
Who has jurisdiction on the river? Coast Guard, AZ or CA law enforcement?

Have a great day of boating
2012 Monterey 224 FS,
300 HP Volvo Penta with catalytic converters

#571661 - 09/03/18 06:55 PM Re: 4 missing after boats collide, sink on Colorado River [Re: MarkHB]  
Frantically Relaxing Offline
Admiral
Frantically Relaxing  Offline
Admiral

LJ's aren't exactly like helmets or seat belts... Of all the adult boaters I know personally, the ONLY one I've ever known to wear a life jacket during 'basic boating' is my wife. If it's moving, she's wearing. And usually even while we're parked...

[Linked Image]
#571667 - 09/03/18 08:37 PM Re: 4 missing after boats collide, sink on Colorado River [Re: Jack T]  
MarkHB Offline
Dressed for dinner
MarkHB  Offline
Dressed for dinner
Admiral

CA
Originally Posted by Jack T
Mark:
Is there a night time speed limit in these waters?
Who has jurisdiction on the river? Coast Guard, AZ or CA law enforcement?

I do not know if there is a night time speed limit. The only time I have been on the water at night is on the lake coming back from Havasu City after the July 4th fireworks.
I had my radar on and GPS chart plotter with all the traces of previous trips displayed. I did not have one beer that night as I knew the trip back at night will be stressful. Had my nephew and his family on board and was glad when he said no drink for him either as he wanted to be aware. Thanked him for his help. I had one boat go by me at a fairly high rate of speed and then he realized he could not see. No moon (or street lights) so he ended up slotted in behind me 100 feet back.

Jurisdiction? San Bernardino Sherriff, Arizona police, normally and on big weekends I have seen the Coast Guard. I asked the CG once why. There answer was on big weekends they assist the local agencies.

24' Monterey Explorer
Honda PWC

#571671 - 09/04/18 04:38 PM Re: 4 missing after boats collide, sink on Colorado River [Re: MarkHB]  
kdl Offline
Admiral
kdl  Offline
Admiral

Central Mass
Sad.
Life jackets are mandatory on our boat after dark.

2005 Cobalt 246 8.1 Gi
"Paradise..."

2001 Key Largo 190 CC
"After Five"
#571682 - 09/05/18 10:56 PM Re: 4 missing after boats collide, sink on Colorado River [Re: MarkHB]  
MarkHB Offline
Dressed for dinner
MarkHB  Offline
Dressed for dinner
Admiral

CA
I am sitting on the river bank and it is currently 7:54pm. It is dark and neither of those boats should have been traveling at 50 mph. Can,t damm well see far enough ahead.

24' Monterey Explorer
Honda PWC

#571683 - 09/05/18 11:48 PM Re: 4 missing after boats collide, sink on Colorado River [Re: MarkHB]  
Jack T Offline
Admiral
Jack T  Offline
Admiral

Southern California
They may have been using their docking lights. And, we all know how well they work on the open water. (:-)

Actually, I heard that one of the people involved said that the other boat had no lights on.

Lights or no lights, it was dark and like Mark said, no one should be running at that speed in the dark, especially on a river.

Have a great day of boating
2012 Monterey 224 FS,
300 HP Volvo Penta with catalytic converters

Moderated by  Admin 

Sponsors
New Topics
Dock Start?--No Problem
by Jack T. 09/21/18 09:08 PM
Bravo 2 U-Joints
by Boatbottom. 09/10/18 09:25 AM
Upper MidWest Boating Destinations
by Dock Holiday. 09/01/18 01:02 PM
Golden Triangle cruise plus 1000 Islands
by Dave R. 08/29/18 03:10 PM
shift cable adjustment
by skidmark. 08/29/18 12:04 PM
Stupid Subaru Design
by Justification. 08/27/18 12:41 PM
Malibu buys another brand
by Capn Morgan. 08/22/18 08:21 AM
Late tax filing BS
by Frantically Relaxing. 08/14/18 01:02 PM
How to make 1” holes through the top, side of boat
by cny boater. 07/07/18 03:28 PM
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 37 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
FrankC, skidmark, calmwaters, ron3033, frabru
5459 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23
Topics37,190
Posts563,040
Members5,459
Most Online252
Aug 5th, 2017