Your On-Line Port'o'Call

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#571432 - 07/18/18 09:34 PM Needing wireless HDMI, any suggestions?  
Frantically Relaxing Offline
Admiral
Frantically Relaxing  Offline
Admiral

About 3 years ago the wife got me a projection TV unit and a 75" movie screen for it. It's a 720p HD unit, which is fine- We've used it a couple of times in the back yard, birthday parties & such. Pretty cool and works great, but the outdoor limitations are a pain, which are: what to watch (input), and how to hear it (audio out). So far we've just watched DVD's. That's okay, but I want to set it up so we can just watch sat TV under the stars. I bought 125' worth of HDMI cable, which turns out is basically useless without an amplifier. As for sound, we don't own a basic boom box, and I really don't want to buy one just for this. The unit has built in speakers, but they're about 1 step up from cell phone speakers. And most boom boxes aren't all that audiophile-ic, and I like good sound. and most, like the unit, have speakers only a few inches apart. I like my left and right sound to be noticeably LEFT and RIGHT!

So- sometime last year the wife got me an Ecoxgear outdoor speaker. This thing is pretty cool, 10 hour battery powered, 100 watts, bluetooth, and a plus for the boater, completely waterproof! You can actually use it IN the lake! And actually sounds pretty good! But- it's ONE speaker. We connected it to the TV unit once, worked pretty good, much better sound than the tinny TV speakers, but- it's ONE speaker...

So I finally broke down and ordered up a second one, and yesterday it arrived! smile So now I gots TWO! The bluetooth in these works pretty cool, if you HAVE two of them, they will each take on a separate channel to output true stereo. I'm sure there's a name for that procedure, but at 64 years old I'm not fully in the tech loop anymore wink For boating and just listening to music from the phone, this will be great! Got a spare Iphone I can put music on, and I'm on Amazon about to order a bluetooth adapter so I can run the speakers in the basement or garage shop via computer. As for connecting the speakers to the projection TV, I don't necessarily need wireless, and the speakers have aux inputs so I can just wire them to the TV unit, I just need RCA to 3.5 plug wires. But I should be able to use the same bluetooth adapter, all I should need is an RCA to 3.5 female adapter for it to plug into. Anyway, the speaker issue should be about fixed!

But to watch plain old TV, I'm going to need an HDMI wireless extender. And I'm also looking at those on Amazon. And I'm confused as hell! [Linked Image]
some versions come with two transmitters and one receiver, with extra transmitters available, some versions have one transmitter with 2 receivers and more receivers available. All have a few horror stories in the 'reviews' section, but most have overall good reviews. The tough to sort out parts are the lag-times, some signals are ok for traveling thru walls, some not so much...

I have an HD DirecTV receiver that currently outputs from my Yamaha theater sound to the TV via HDMI cable. I just need to get the same HDMI signal outside, up to 80' away (most have a 160' ish range), and the glass window and a little vegetation will be the only signal blockers. I'd like to also run the signal to our bedroom, because as it is I'm hardwired to a non-HD cable box which I'm renting, so with the extender I can give them back their box AND have full HD.

That all said, just wondering if anyone is using such a device and if so how well does it work? smile

[Linked Image]
A Word from Our Sponsors
#571434 - 07/19/18 06:51 AM Re: Needing wireless HDMI, any suggestions? [Re: Frantically Relaxing]  
captkevin Offline
Admiral
captkevin  Offline
Admiral

Chicago, IL
Monoprice offers several options that could work

Wired

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=8158

Wireless

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24548

It might be worth it to talk with your satelite provider & see what kind of boxes they offer. We have Comcast & the main box is connected via ether net cable but the rest of the boxes are wireless.

2004 Rinker 232
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Laramie 4x4
#571436 - 07/19/18 11:28 AM Re: Needing wireless HDMI, any suggestions? [Re: Frantically Relaxing]  
PhatboyC Offline
Always Need a Bigger Boat
PhatboyC  Offline
Always Need a Bigger Boat
Admiral

Ottawa/Ontario
I used Monoprice wall plate version of the wired repeater which uses Ethernet cable. Worked great. But unless you already have the Ethernet cable length you need you can try just a HDMI repeater?

Good for 75'...

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15650

-------------------------------
[Linked Image]
2007 40' Formula SS
2006 25'.6" Cuddy Cabin - Sold
#571437 - 07/19/18 11:29 AM Re: Needing wireless HDMI, any suggestions? [Re: Frantically Relaxing]  
captkevin Offline
Admiral
captkevin  Offline
Admiral

Chicago, IL

2004 Rinker 232
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Laramie 4x4
#571439 - 07/19/18 12:24 PM Re: Needing wireless HDMI, any suggestions? [Re: Frantically Relaxing]  
Admiral
Admiral

Hmm, the cat6-piggyback option is definitely do-able. While wireless is easy, it does have its problems, and I'm not against wires, the reason I'm looking to wireless is because my long HDMI cables won't work smile

Best reason cat6 would work, is I have about 300' of cat5e cable sitting under a table in the basement smile

Thanks for the links all!

[Linked Image]
#571442 - 07/19/18 05:48 PM Re: Needing wireless HDMI, any suggestions? [Re: Frantically Relaxing]  
WayWeGo Offline
Admiral
WayWeGo  Offline
Admiral

Oakton, VA
FR, I have a Bluetooth receiver/transmitter that connects via an aux cord. The only downside is that you cannot charge it while using it, which has turned out to be more hassle than I thought it would. A Bluetooth transmitter that can be charged while using it is something I would look for if I bought another one.

1975 Trojan F36 Convertible, Twin Chrysler 440's
2014 West Marine AL360 Inflatable, 1966 Mercury 6HP, 1992 Mercury 20HP
#571481 - 07/25/18 12:31 AM Re: Needing wireless HDMI, any suggestions? [Re: Frantically Relaxing]  
Admiral
Admiral

I ordered and received all my tech goodies--

The Bluetooth adapter I got is a "TaoTronics", very small, came in packing that rivals Apple stuff- it can transmit OR receive, charges via USB or any other charger WHILE using it smile - it came with several adapter cords, enough that I don't have to buy anything else, and was like $28. Works great!

I also picked up a Cat6 over HDMI 'extender', came with one transmitter and 2 receivers, and all 3 are powered-- haven't got to mess with it yet, still need to run cabling. Going to be a couple weeks since I'm actually going to spend the next week taking a few days off to catch up on some sleep and maybe get some boating in this year. Work on the Skip is stalled, can't get any of the local sandblasters interested in getting back with me. idn

[Linked Image]
#571511 - 07/31/18 12:01 AM Re: Needing wireless HDMI, any suggestions? [Re: Frantically Relaxing]  
Parrott_head Offline
Admiral of Vice
Parrott_head  Offline
Admiral of Vice
Admiral

Wife and I are using a ScreenBeam Mini2 we got at Best Buy. Plugs into your HDMI on the TV and you connect your PC to it via supplied software. Works like a champ. Only works with Windows devices, not with Apple.

Former owner of a 2002 Four Winns 234 FunShip
'16 F250 4x4 Oil Burner
"Hey, if I'm a Vice Admiral, which vice do I get to claim?"

Moderated by  Admin 

Sponsors
New Topics
Must be that time again.....
by GoFirstClass. 12/04/18 06:18 PM
So Glad Harvard Graduates can afford Expensive Watches
by Justification. 12/04/18 05:27 PM
Trailer Weight Distribution
by MarkHB. 12/01/18 10:56 AM
Holiday DEALS
by KCook. 11/23/18 03:51 PM
Persistence Pays Off
by GoFirstClass. 11/17/18 07:50 PM
Quick question
by Bones. 11/15/18 01:10 AM
Wow! Great to see familiar login names!!!!
by Bones. 11/14/18 11:51 PM
Shopping for another boat...
by Dave R. 11/06/18 05:46 PM
'This site is not secure'-- I'm afraid is true...
by Frantically Relaxing. 10/28/18 10:26 PM
Boating On The Columbia
by GoFirstClass. 10/24/18 11:19 PM
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (GoFirstClass), 79 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
okielaker, Rbt18, oldnamwaterskier, farmermike, FrankC
5463 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23
Topics37,219
Posts563,281
Members5,464
Most Online252
Aug 5th, 2017