Justification Offline
Admiral
Justification  Offline
Admiral

Fruit Heights, Utah
We now have a Dodge in our household
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

He's getting established in his job, and wanted to start spreading his wings.
Being a huge Chevy family we went and looked at Camaros, but the huge blind spot scared the heck out of him during the test drive. I've always said the Camaro is a great play car, but not a great daily driver.
Checked out the Challenger and the much better visibility, larger interior, and All Wheel Drive option sold him.
Can't get the AWD in a V8, and since he's not a speed demon like myself the 306 HP V6 with it's better mileage and cheaper insurance was a better fit anyway.
Quite the eye opening experience , with most of the dealers underestimating my son, and were shocked when he had about 40% down, and didn't want a 6 to 8 year loan.... in fact he had arranged everything prior to going in to purchase and will pay it off in less than 4 years. If I know him, he'll hate the payments and will more than double up to pay it off as quick as possible.
True to form with our family, it was drizzly when we picked it up so I let him park it in the garage.... for now.
Do you think we have a thing about red Vehicles?
[Linked Image]
If you look in the background of the second picture you may be able to pick out our Red Duramax.

Now for the dilemma.
The Volvo he got in a minor fender bender (which totaled the car) has been my airport car since I got it back running, while he's been driving a Tahoe
The Volvo has it's issues (mostly electrical gremlins), so my plan was to just trade it in to be rid of it, not really caring what kind of offer they made on it.
They weren't even interested due to the 166000 miles, dented front fender, and Rebuilt title.
How do I unload this car without running into scammers, knowing it's not in great shape.
The new tax laws mean donating it to a charity isn't really worth it.
I'm like FR in that I don't want to send off problems to others, but repairing it just aint worth it. Biggest issue is a coolant temperature sensor issue that is probably wiring, that to have a shop fix would probably cost what the car is worth.
It's been a good enough car, with great tires, aftermarket performance brakes with about 20,000 miles, and rebuilt suspension earlier this year. Interior is in really good shape, but a the carpet is still a bit dirty from when he was working construction.

He does have his work cut out for him getting the Tahoe cleaned up enough for me to start using it as my new airport car. I think he'll be paying a detailer to get the grime of a 23 YO welder out of it.

Beer makes you feel the way
You should feel without beer.
A Word from Our Sponsors
#570875 - 05/12/18 11:50 AM Re: First Mate Bought His First Car. Now Dilemma [Re: Justification]  
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
Yup, I'd say your family has a thing for red cars. d Your garage and driveway look like a used car lot that specializes in red vehicles.

I can offer no real advice about the Volvo except to put it on Craigslist and be upfront with any prospective buyer, then take whatever they offer for it. Old Vulvas, oops I mean Volvos have a history of electrical gremlins so any buyer looking at it should already be aware of that.

BTW. it sounds like your son is well on his way to a successful life. Paying interest over a 6-8 year loan makes no sense if you can avoid it. That interest adds up and adds a huge cost to owning a vehicle or boat or whatever. You've done well fetchin' him up. Good job.

"Beachcomber" 1995 Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge

Anchor's down......Bottoms Up!
#570876 - 05/12/18 03:10 PM Re: First Mate Bought His First Car. Now Dilemma [Re: Justification]  
captkevin Offline
Admiral
captkevin  Offline
Admiral

Chicago, IL
Nice looking Challenger. How does the v6 do with the all wheel drive?

I am with Gofirstclass on the craigslist ad. Price it right & detail all issues. Set up ad so they can only email thru craigslist initially. Don't ever put you phone # on the ad. Help prevent dealing with all kinds of calls.

Have had great luck selling things that had issues on there & response time never ceases to amaze me.

2004 Rinker 232
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Laramie 4x4
#570877 - 05/12/18 05:06 PM Re: First Mate Bought His First Car. Now Dilemma [Re: Justification]  
Silverbullet Offline
Admiral
Silverbullet  Offline
Admiral

Boise, ID
Does dodge still have the lifetime powertrain warranty?

The AWD challenger has tempted us a bit, or at least it did until the new 3 row Subaru was announced.

James
2002 Cobalt 226 VP 8.1GIDP
2007 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax
1988 Suburban 3/4 Ton
2000 Subaru Forester

#570878 - 05/12/18 06:28 PM Re: First Mate Bought His First Car. Now Dilemma [Re: Justification]  
Justification Offline
Admiral
Justification  Offline
Admiral

Fruit Heights, Utah
While the V6 is not as powerful as the various V8's out there, it does pretty well. 306 HP makes it more powerful than the 5.7L V8 in my stepside, and the car weighs less than the truck, so it performs nice, at least from the passenger seat. He was really hating the $50-$75 fillups weekly in the Tahoe, so the Better Mileage of the V6 was pretty important. Even if an 8 were available in the AWD, I think he'd be better off in the 6
The Challenger is bigger and heavier than the Camaro, so of course the Camaro will kick it's a$$ both handling and speed wise. The AWD was important since we are in snow country rather than for road racing (he's a pretty conservative driver for now) lets just hope we get snow here again, unlike this year

The Warranty is 3 years/36000 miles for most of the car, with 5 year/60K miles on powertrain. I know it's the closers job to squeeze that last dime out of the sale, so he pushed hard on the "extended/all inclusive warranty." Let's hope I talked my son into the right thing when I recommended a no go on the $1600 upcharge. I am a truely a bit concerned about the no sale given the electronic gizmos on this car.

I can totally see how the new car smell can get addictive. I was drooling over a Corvette and a new Duramax while at the Chevy House, and the Dodge guys had a Scat Pack Challenger that I was really tempted to try to deal on. Too many other priorities in our near future and the fact it's the admirals turn for a new car were the only things holding me back. She's wanting a Colorado Diesel truck for her, but we're looking at retirement property, so it's just not time.... But that Scat Pack was pretty sweet.

#570880 - 05/12/18 10:10 PM Re: First Mate Bought His First Car. Now Dilemma [Re: Justification]  
captkevin Offline
Admiral
captkevin  Offline
Admiral

Chicago, IL
Big fan of the Scat Pack on the Challenger or Charger. Would be on my short list too. Trying to avoid the bug as well.

2004 Rinker 232
#570885 - 05/13/18 11:05 PM Re: First Mate Bought His First Car. Now Dilemma [Re: Justification]  
Frantically Relaxing Offline
Admiral
Frantically Relaxing  Offline
Admiral

Scat Pack, the double dog dare... Me, I'd love to create a slight breach of etiquette by skipping the triple dare -the Hellcat- and going right for the throat! Gawd I'd love to have me a Demon! laugh

yeah, right-- I already have a mere 420 horse Mustang that I can't even find a safe place to put the hammer down! ('safe place' meaning devoid of possibility of jail time) wink

But still... (where's the drool smiley?)

[Linked Image]
#570895 - 05/14/18 05:50 PM Re: First Mate Bought His First Car. Now Dilemma [Re: Justification]  
KCook Offline
Admiral
KCook  Offline
Admiral

Phoenix
I wish my reflexes could still keep up with a supercar. They can't. sick

outtopasture

#571469 - 07/24/18 11:47 AM Re: First Mate Bought His First Car. Now Dilemma [Re: Justification]  
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
Justi, how's your son doing with his new wheels?

"Beachcomber" 1995 Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge

Anchor's down......Bottoms Up!
#571478 - 07/24/18 04:03 PM Re: First Mate Bought His First Car. Now Dilemma [Re: Justification]  
Justification Offline
Admiral
Justification  Offline
Admiral

Fruit Heights, Utah
He's really liking them. He didn't realize he had a "car Guy" inside him. He's a rule keeper in his driving and lifestyle, but he admitted to breaking the speeding rules by a long shot today on the way home from work. He almost decided to take a long drive to a straight mostly empty section of freeway to see if he could compete with the arizona state representative who "joked" about doing 120-130-140 , but thought that was a bad idea and came home instead. Good thing it's just a V6, or I'd probably be bailing him out by now.
Hates the car payments, so is almost tripling up in an effort to pay it down as fast as possible, so he can start saving up for a truck too. Really proud of that boy.

#571479 - 07/24/18 06:43 PM Re: First Mate Bought His First Car. Now Dilemma [Re: Justification]  
captkevin Offline
Admiral
captkevin  Offline
Admiral

Chicago, IL
Glad to hear it is working out. I know what you mean about being proud of them following in your foot steps. Really makes you feel good inside.

2004 Rinker 232

Moderated by  Admin 

Sponsors
New Topics
Two Boats, One Trailer
by On Holiday. 12/17/18 02:00 PM
Board with that warehouse job?
by Frantically Relaxing. 12/15/18 07:14 PM
Santa comes in 10 days....
by GoFirstClass. 12/15/18 01:13 PM
Must be that time again.....
by GoFirstClass. 12/04/18 06:18 PM
So Glad Harvard Graduates can afford Expensive Watches
by Justification. 12/04/18 05:27 PM
Trailer Weight Distribution
by MarkHB. 12/01/18 10:56 AM
Holiday DEALS
by KCook. 11/23/18 03:51 PM
Persistence Pays Off
by GoFirstClass. 11/17/18 07:50 PM
Shopping for another boat...
by Dave R. 11/06/18 05:46 PM
Stupid Subaru Design
by Justification. 08/27/18 11:41 AM
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 71 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
okielaker, Rbt18, oldnamwaterskier, farmermike, FrankC
5463 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23
Topics37,222
Posts563,316
Members5,464
Most Online252
Aug 5th, 2017