Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#570421 - 03/10/18 10:15 PM Advice on Cutwater 242 coupe  
Puddle Pirate 2 Offline
LTJG USCGR
Puddle Pirate 2  Offline
LTJG USCGR
Admiral

Eastern PA
As some of you know, I've been casually looking for a boat since I sold my Maxum in 2009. I wanted a pocket cruiser, wife preferred flybridge cruisers, which are out of my budget, even used, so we've been at a bit of a deadlock. We had an epiphany today at the Phila boat show, and saw the Cutwater line of boats. The 242 is an amazingly good fit for what we're looking for...fishability, enclosed cabin that is like a salon, spacious and very functional, but small enough to tow or do some watersports. Also small enough to keep in a hi and dri, which we prefer over a slip or trialering all the time. I guess it's technically a downeast design...made in Seatlle. It's the biggest 24 I've ever been on, and I've been on many. It feels like a 28 or 30. Only concerns were the lack of fit and finish on some edges, and the hull chines were a bit lumpy...like they came off the mold a bit messed up. Also, because all the spaces on this boat serve double duty, and because it is a smaller cruiser, you are constantly flipping this, and snapping that to make use of the space. But that adds to the versatility.

Going to do an on water test next weekend, and wondered if anyone knows much about these boats, things to look for, resale, etc. It's a relatively new boat I think and I havent heard much about them. We'd definitely have to finance most of, as it is up in the $120k range, and will probably hold off a bit until the kid is done with college next year, so we may have more to put down. Link below if you want to see it...

Cutwater 242 Coupe

Last edited by Puddle Pirate 2; 03/10/18 10:31 PM.

pirate
A Word from Our Sponsors
#570422 - 03/11/18 01:32 AM Re: Advice on Cutwater 242 coupe [Re: Puddle Pirate 2]  
KCook Offline
Admiral
KCook  Offline
Admiral

Phoenix
Slick. This style is very popular in Europe, where chilly weather is common. Cannot say I am a fan of trick hull designs.

dinosaur

#570423 - 03/11/18 08:28 AM Re: Advice on Cutwater 242 coupe [Re: KCook]  
Puddle Pirate 2 Offline
LTJG USCGR
Puddle Pirate 2  Offline
LTJG USCGR
Admiral

Eastern PA
Originally Posted by KCook
S Cannot say I am a fan of trick hull designs.

dinosaur

Most of it is recycled technology. My 2000 Maxum had reverse chines and a stepped hull, although not as extreme. The "laminar flow interrupters" are not a new technology either...everything from golf balls to aircraft to bicycle racing wheels have used the technology. I'd be concerned if bottom paint would negate the benefits of the dimples. Not that I would bottom coat it if it stayed in a hi & dri.

pirate
#570424 - 03/11/18 11:22 AM Re: Advice on Cutwater 242 coupe [Re: Puddle Pirate 2]  
captkevin Offline
Admiral
captkevin  Offline
Admiral

Chicago, IL
Very innovative boat. Not sure I'd want to have that much dark gelcoat to keep looking clean.

2004 Rinker 232
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Laramie 4x4
#570425 - 03/11/18 12:09 PM Re: Advice on Cutwater 242 coupe [Re: Puddle Pirate 2]  
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
I'm not all that familiar with the Cutwater boats but I must say I've never heard a bad comment about them. After watching the video there's a LOT about that boat I like. Some very innovative things (blinker lights on the stern, etc.) and it looks as though lot of thought went into the design.

While I'm not a fan of slick things that don't really have a purpose, I have to lightly disagree with Kelly about the hull design. After studying up a bit about Regal's Fastrac hull which is similar in principal to Cutwater's design, I was impressed with what I saw about the idea/design. Introducing a layer of bubbles between the water and the hull provided enough cushion for the boat to run a little smoother and gave a tiny boost in fuel economy.

I like that Cutwater.

"Beachcomber" 1995 Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge

Anchor's down......Bottoms Up!
#570426 - 03/11/18 12:19 PM Re: Advice on Cutwater 242 coupe [Re: Puddle Pirate 2]  
KCook Offline
Admiral
KCook  Offline
Admiral

Phoenix
Originally Posted by Puddle Pirate 2
Originally Posted by KCook
S Cannot say I am a fan of trick hull designs.

dinosaur

Most of it is recycled technology. My 2000 Maxum had reverse chines and a stepped hull, although not as extreme. The "laminar flow interrupters" are not a new technology either...everything from golf balls to aircraft to bicycle racing wheels have used the technology. I'd be concerned if bottom paint would negate the benefits of the dimples. Not that I would bottom coat it if it stayed in a hi & dri.

I'm well aware of all of that. I just view this glass as half empty instead of half full.

Kelly

#570427 - 03/11/18 02:14 PM Re: Advice on Cutwater 242 coupe [Re: Puddle Pirate 2]  
Puddle Pirate 2 Offline
LTJG USCGR
Puddle Pirate 2  Offline
LTJG USCGR
Admiral

Eastern PA
Appreciate the constructive feedback. Not sure why the issues over hull design. If it works, it works. I personally would love to see data either way. A rakish hull design without any data to substantiate it would make me skeptical too.

pirate
#570429 - 03/12/18 02:11 AM Re: Advice on Cutwater 242 coupe [Re: Puddle Pirate 2]  
KCook Offline
Admiral
KCook  Offline
Admiral

Phoenix
I never said the various tricks don't work. I simply do not like all the practical compromises. To me, these hulls are frivolous. That's all.

#570430 - 03/12/18 09:31 AM Re: Advice on Cutwater 242 coupe [Re: Puddle Pirate 2]  
Dock Holiday Offline
Admiral
Dock Holiday  Offline
Admiral

Lake Geneva, WI
Stepped hulls continue to be somewhat controversial. Detractors talk about poor handling and boats becoming unstable in turns. I have owned two Regals with the FastTrac hull, and have yet to experience a single handling issue. On my previous boat ( Regal 2200), I felt the boat handled and performed very well, but I was not convinced that I was actually realizing a benefit from the stepped hull. On my current boat (Regal 2700), the stepped hull seems to really make a difference. Once on plane, this boat just cruises effortlessly. I have no empirical evidence, but my buttometer tells me that the step seems to have the most benefit above 30 MPH (there is a very noticeable difference in performance between 30 and 35 MPH). However, this could also be a factor of having 24 degrees of dead rise.

One downside of a stepped hull is fitting bunks to the hull (trailers and lifts). On my first boat, I would sometimes have trouble launching as the step would seem to catch the back set of the bunks, requiring the trailer to be pushed into deeper water (not a big deal on most ramps).

For me, if I had to decide between two boats, one with a stepped hull, and the other with a conventional hull, the stepped hull would probably not be a factor in my decision.

Keep us apprised of your progress.

Happy Hunting!

Last edited by Dock Holiday; 03/12/18 10:52 AM.
#570431 - 03/12/18 11:06 AM Re: Advice on Cutwater 242 coupe [Re: Puddle Pirate 2]  
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
Tee Hee, Dock said "Butt" roflmao

Dock that was good feedback. I'd heard the comments about the stepped hull being kind of a PITA when fitting the boat to the bunks and I can see that might be an issue. But one that's easily remedied by backing in a little further.

Which brings up one of my pet peeves: People who don't back their trailers in far enough. The back in just so far, then power load their boat onto the trailer. I never figured out why they didn't just back it down further and idle the boat to a point where it contacts the bunks. If you do it right it should be within just a few inches of the bow stop and is easy to winch up without having to power load it. idn

#570433 - 03/12/18 02:30 PM Re: Advice on Cutwater 242 coupe [Re: Puddle Pirate 2]  
Jack T Offline
Admiral
Jack T  Offline
Admiral

Southern California
Three comments:

#1 We have visited some friends at Flathead Lake in Montana, and they owned a fairly old Regal, the ones with all the curves and side view mirrors on both sides molded into the decking. It was one of Regal's early stepped hull models, but I am not sure of the model year. Well, I can say that as long as you drove it pretty straight at medium speeds such as towing a tube, and faster, it ran well. But, while taking a normal sharp turn, the step hull "caught" so bad that passengers were suddenly thrown off their seats. I hated that boat, more while not driving.

This Regal is like the one our friends used to have on Flathead Lake.
https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/boa/d/98-regal-ski-boat/6449734063.html

#2 We have a 22' Monterey with a stepped hull. I honestly believe the stepped hull works, but no empirical data. I t drives like a non-step hull boat, except when it gets up to speed, it seems to be floating easily. As far as launching, I can only speak of the only launch ramp we have, there has never been a problem regarding the step hull.

#3 In the past when I was easily side-tracked or waiting in line to take our boat off the lake, I used to watch other people at the launch ramp. They habitually put their trailers too far into the water, so far that the bunks do not meet the hull until the trailer was being pulled out. If the boat was not exactly centered with the trailer, the boats typically drifted to the side and as the trailer was pulled out, the boat was either lopsided on the trailer or worse, the boat rested on the trailer fender. Then, they either tried to manually push the boat onto the trailer (didn't work, of course) or they backed the trailer deep again, only to repeat the previous problem.

Last edited by Jack T; 03/12/18 11:44 PM. Reason: Added link to older Regal Boat

Have a great day of boating
2012 Monterey 224 FS,
300 HP Volvo Penta with catalytic converters

#570435 - 03/12/18 05:34 PM Re: Advice on Cutwater 242 coupe [Re: Jack T]  
KCook Offline
Admiral
KCook  Offline
Admiral

Phoenix
Originally Posted by Jack T
Three comments:

#1 We have visited some friends at Flathead Lake in Montana, and they owned a fairly old Regal, the ones with all the curves and side view mirrors on both sides molded into the decking. It was one of Regal's early stepped hull models, but I am not sure of the model year. Well, I can say that as long as you drove it pretty straight at medium speeds such as towing a tube, and faster, it ran well. But, while taking a normal sharp turn, the step hull "caught" so bad that passengers were suddenly thrown off their seats. I hated that boat, more while not driving.

#2 We have a 22' Monterey with a stepped hull. I honestly believe the stepped hull works, but no empirical data. I t drives like a non-step hull boat, except when it gets up to speed, it seems to be floating easily. As far as launching, I can only speak of the only launch ramp we have, there has never been a problem regarding the step hull.

#3 In the past when I was easily side-tracked or waiting in line to take our boat off the lake, I used to watch other people at the launch ramp. They habitually put their trailers too far into the water, so far that the bunks do not meet the hull until the trailer was being pulled out. If the boat was not exactly centered with the trailer, the boats typically drifted to the side and as the trailer was pulled out, the boat was either lopsided on the trailer or worse, the boat rested on the trailer fender. Then, they either tried to manually push the boat onto the trailer (didn't work, of course) or they backed the trailer deep again, only to repeat the previous problem.

Been there! The launch ramp was always the worst part of boating for me.

klutz

#570439 - 03/12/18 07:56 PM Re: Advice on Cutwater 242 coupe [Re: GoFirstClass]  
Dock Holiday Offline
Admiral
Dock Holiday  Offline
Admiral

Lake Geneva, WI
Originally Posted by GoFirstClass

Dock that was good feedback. I'd heard the comments about the stepped hull being kind of a PITA when fitting the boat to the bunks and I can see that might be an issue. But one that's easily remedied by backing in a little further.

Which brings up one of my pet peeves: People who don't back their trailers in far enough. The back in just so far, then power load their boat onto the trailer. I never figured out why they didn't just back it down further and idle the boat to a point where it contacts the bunks. If you do it right it should be within just a few inches of the bow stop and is easy to winch up without having to power load it. idn

GFC, keep in mind that all ramps are different: some are short, some are long, some are shallow, some are steep, some have hazards at the end of the ramp. Most of the ramps near me are short and shallow, which really dictates how you launch and retrieve. I have also used ramps in the Ozarks that are so steep that it is challenging to catching a bunk when retrieving. In summary, I don't think you can make a blanket statement that covers all boats/trailers at all ramps.

#570443 - 03/13/18 08:37 AM Re: Advice on Cutwater 242 coupe [Re: Puddle Pirate 2]  
Dock Holiday Offline
Admiral
Dock Holiday  Offline
Admiral

Lake Geneva, WI
Here is a short video from BoatTest.com explaining how stepped hulls work.

Last edited by Dock Holiday; 03/13/18 08:40 AM.
#570444 - 03/13/18 08:52 AM Re: Advice on Cutwater 242 coupe [Re: Puddle Pirate 2]  
On Holiday Offline
Daddy
On Holiday  Offline
Daddy
Admiral

PA and Smith Mountain Lake
Here is my Regal 2400 with a Fasttrack hull on my boat lift.

[Linked Image]

2008 Honda Goldwing Trike
2006 Regal 2400
2004 Dodge Ram 2500
2003 Ford F-150
2002 Harley Davidson Roadking Classic
1998 Honda Civic

#570446 - 03/13/18 09:04 AM Re: Advice on Cutwater 242 coupe [Re: Puddle Pirate 2]  
Dock Holiday Offline
Admiral
Dock Holiday  Offline
Admiral

Lake Geneva, WI
On Holiday - Is your bunk notched to conform to the step?

#570447 - 03/13/18 10:41 AM Re: Advice on Cutwater 242 coupe [Re: Puddle Pirate 2]  
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
I'd never seen that Boattest video but after watching it, it confirms my thoughts on the Fasttrac hull. It's a nice design and I've wondered why other boat makers haven't copied it.

Are there negatives (other than the bunks might not fit) to the Fasttrac hull?

#570448 - 03/13/18 10:54 AM Re: Advice on Cutwater 242 coupe [Re: GoFirstClass]  
Dock Holiday Offline
Admiral
Dock Holiday  Offline
Admiral

Lake Geneva, WI
Originally Posted by GoFirstClass

Are there negatives (other than the bunks might not fit) to the Fasttrac hull?

None that I know of, but I do wonder why Regal only uses the FasTrac hull on runabouts (their cruisers and yachts ride on their "OceanTrac" hulls, which are not stepped).

From Regal's website:

FasTrac Hull

Since its debut in 1997, the patented and award-winning FasTrac hull design has garnered acclaim from industry insiders and owners alike. The principle behind the hull is to reduce the surface tension while the boat moves through the water. The full-beam step forces air beneath the hull to reduce drag and friction while inverted strakes cause the boat to track straight and turn tight. With a reduction in friction, the FasTrac hull is able to achieve higher speeds and better fuel economy than boats of equal size and propulsion.

OceanTrac Hull

Every Regal yacht is defined by its fuel-efficient and high-performance OceanTrac hull. Because every yacht is weighted and configured individually, each OceanTrac hull is designed and shaped to ensure optimum efficiency across the entire performance spectrum. The OceanTrac hull brings together a unique combination of innovative design components working together to produce hull efficiencies that provide exceptional performance, an outstanding ride, and handling like nothing else on the water.

#570449 - 03/13/18 11:23 AM Re: Advice on Cutwater 242 coupe [Re: Dock Holiday]  
KCook Offline
Admiral
KCook  Offline
Admiral

Phoenix
optimum efficiency across the entire performance spectrum

This is the key. A step hull is designed toward a specific load, speed range, and trim. A non-step works equally well (bad?) across all conditions. Thus you rarely see workboats or fishing boats with steps. But they certainly have become a fashion for pleasure and performance boats.

Kelly

#570450 - 03/13/18 12:04 PM Re: Advice on Cutwater 242 coupe [Re: Puddle Pirate 2]  
jtheile Offline
Admiral
jtheile  Offline
Admiral

North Ridgeville, Ohio
Tugnuts would be a good place for information on Cutwater boats. It is a forum for Ranger Tugs and Cutwater.

Joe
Four Winns 225 Sundowner
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Admin 

Sponsors
New Topics
Two Boats, One Trailer
by On Holiday. 12/17/18 02:00 PM
Board with that warehouse job?
by Frantically Relaxing. 12/15/18 07:14 PM
Santa comes in 10 days....
by GoFirstClass. 12/15/18 01:13 PM
Must be that time again.....
by GoFirstClass. 12/04/18 06:18 PM
So Glad Harvard Graduates can afford Expensive Watches
by Justification. 12/04/18 05:27 PM
Trailer Weight Distribution
by MarkHB. 12/01/18 10:56 AM
Holiday DEALS
by KCook. 11/23/18 03:51 PM
Persistence Pays Off
by GoFirstClass. 11/17/18 07:50 PM
Shopping for another boat...
by Dave R. 11/06/18 05:46 PM
Stupid Subaru Design
by Justification. 08/27/18 11:41 AM
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 83 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
okielaker, Rbt18, oldnamwaterskier, farmermike, FrankC
5463 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23
Topics37,222
Posts563,316
Members5,464
Most Online252
Aug 5th, 2017