Rate This Thread
#569701 - 11/26/17 07:18 PM Beachcomber's New Swim Platform  
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
When we bought Beachcomber in 2010 I had her shipped to a boat yard in Portland, OR for reassembly and the installation of new equipment. When we bought her there was a davit crane on the swim platform that was going to come off, and the platform itself was VERY wet and we knew it would have to be totally redone.

The yard manager and I discussed options and he suggested they make a very large platform out of a board-like material that was a fiberglass on both side and a foam core liner. The whole platform was about 4’ long and extended out beyond the boat’s stern by about 2.5’.

They removed the davit, cut out the existing material of the SWP and cut/sanded the new SWP so it would slide right into the areas around the former platform. In this photo you can see where the grooves are that the platform fit into.
[Linked Image]

And here’s the new platform before installation.
[Linked Image]

That platform worked well and we enjoyed the large size. It was nice to be able to take a few chairs out there and enjoy our morning coffee or evening cocktail.

That all ended when we got into a bit of rough water on our way down the Columbia on our way to Umatilla, OR for their Umatilla Landing Days Festival.
[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtfsjCKmzRk[/video]

The rough water caused the swp to be lifted by the waves on the stern because they were so steep and close together.
That sheared off the ½” bolts that held the brackets to the bottom of the swp. When that happened there was no support for the swp and it flopped like a salmon out of water. I talked with the nice folks at swimplatforms.com about a replacement. They gave me a heck of a price but to buy one from them I’d have to haul out the boat, and around here that haulout costs a couple of boat bucks.

A friend was having a local guy, Angel Gomez, build him a new platform. I loo
ked at his and was pleased with what I saw so I talked with the guy doing the work. He met me at the boat, looked at what I had on there at the time, told me what he could do for me and what it would cost, so we came to an agreement and I gave him a deposit.

The first thing that had to happen was the old swp had to come off. I rounded up some friends and we tried to break it by pulling up on it with dock lines. No go. Then I drilled 3/8” diameter holes about every 2”-3” through the swp, following the transom of the boat. No go, still wouldn’t break. Here’s a video of us trying to break the stupid thing off. That material it was made of was tough as he!!.
[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLXg_GvIjRU[/video]

So I drilled more holes, spacing them about 1” apart, all the way across the width of the transom. This time, after much tugging and pulling and a few bad words it came off.
[Linked Image]

One of the best things about having Angel do the new platform was that he could do it with the boat in the water, no haul out needed. Angel did all the measurements then built the platform in his shop. We were going to meet back at the boat when it was done but I was not available when they were headed to the boat. The first I saw of the new platform was after it was installed. Here’s what it looked like at that point. The first part of the fitting was all done, the green stuff is a “glue” that will harden and hold the platform in place.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I wanted Angel to install some pressure vents in the platform (I wish I’d had those in the first one) so I bought four that have the Sea Ray wave logo in them. Angel fitted them in between the braces he built into the transom that hold the platform in place.
[Linked Image]

Things had gone too well up to this point and I was just waiting for the first “AWSHIT” to happen. It did when the paint we ordered from Spectrum didn’t match. We had ordered it using the HIN so spectrum said to return it. They mixed a new batch and, while it was closer, it still was obviously not a match. So Angel did all the mixing of the gelcoat, assuring me he could mix it to match. He did, and it was darker than the boat color. He said to give it a couple of days to dry and it would match. I did, it dried and lightened up to a perfect color match.

Then came the hard part. Angel had to blend the gelcoat on the new platform to and get the contour of the curve to look like a factory original job. He did a great job with the sanding and it’s impossible to tell that it’s not a factory job.

Here’s what the new platform looks like.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

To say that I’m pleased with what Angel did would be a serious understatement. It looks good, is solid as a rock, and makes backing into the slip much easier because it doesn’t hang out so far off the stern.

Last edited by GoFirstClass; 11/26/17 07:24 PM.

"Beachcomber" 1995 Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge

Anchor's down......Bottoms Up!
A Word from Our Sponsors
#569702 - 11/26/17 08:28 PM Re: Beachcomber's New Swim Platform [Re: GoFirstClass]  
Silverbullet Offline
Admiral
Silverbullet  Offline
Admiral

Boise, ID
Very nice. I remember the story of the old platform I think. Didn't theybjave to build some k8nd of hill under it to keep the water off?

James
2002 Cobalt 226 VP 8.1GIDP
2007 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax
1988 Suburban 3/4 Ton
2000 Subaru Forester

#569703 - 11/26/17 08:50 PM Re: Beachcomber's New Swim Platform [Re: GoFirstClass]  
captkevin Offline
Admiral
captkevin  Offline
Admiral

Chicago, IL
Looks like they did a great job.

2004 Rinker 232
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Laramie 4x4
#569705 - 11/27/17 12:19 PM Re: Beachcomber's New Swim Platform [Re: GoFirstClass]  
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
Kevin, I'm very picky and yet I'm very pleased with the job Angel did. He worked for years for a local company that did fiberglass repair and were considered the best in the business (locally). Angel told me a year or so ago that he was going to go out on his own because the company he worked for wasn't paying him enough. They wouldn't give him a raise so he left. His reputation is widely known around here so he's been busy, and now he gets 100% of the job, not just being paid by the hour.

James, you have a great memory. When they first put the swim platform on and we sea trialed the boat they found that the prop wash came up right at the aft end of the platform. The turbulence from the prop wash tried to make the platform bounce up and down in the wake. The owner of the yard that put it on has his master's degree in nautical engineering and design so he put his head together with another engineer he knows and works with and they came up with a plan to extend the running surface of the boat by adding stainless pieces to the bottom of the hull that extended the running surface by about 18".

Here's what the aft end of the hull looked like before they put the "tabs" on...
[Linked Image]

and here's what it looks like now.
[Linked Image]

In putting those stainless extensions on they also added length to the trim tabs. Now, when I make a minor adjustment to the trim tabs it really is noticeable on the boat.

#569706 - 11/27/17 12:23 PM Re: Beachcomber's New Swim Platform [Re: GoFirstClass]  
captkevin Offline
Admiral
captkevin  Offline
Admiral

Chicago, IL
Very impressive work. You can tell they really know what they are doing.

2004 Rinker 232
#569708 - 11/27/17 12:55 PM Re: Beachcomber's New Swim Platform [Re: GoFirstClass]  
Jack T Offline
Admiral
Jack T  Offline
Admiral

Southern California
Looks great! Putting in the relief "ports" was a great idea. Hope they work when needed.

"...a few bad words it came off. "

Funny how a few words make adrenaline kick into action.

Have a great day of boating
2012 Monterey 224 FS,
300 HP Volvo Penta with catalytic converters

#569711 - 11/27/17 04:13 PM Re: Beachcomber's New Swim Platform [Re: GoFirstClass]  
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
Kevin, if you're referring to the guy who owns the boat yard, you are spot on. He's not only a nautical engineer but he carries a USCG Unlimited Tonnage license. So does his wife.

#569716 - 11/28/17 07:59 AM Re: Beachcomber's New Swim Platform [Re: GoFirstClass]  
captkevin Offline
Admiral
captkevin  Offline
Admiral

Chicago, IL
Looking at the work you wouldn't know it didn't come that way from the factory.

2004 Rinker 232
#569717 - 11/28/17 09:56 AM Re: Beachcomber's New Swim Platform [Re: GoFirstClass]  
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
Thanks Kevin. I was surprised and please with how it turned out. He even glassed in the ends of the bumper strip where it joined up with the factory bumper. I would hire Angel again in a heartbeat.

#569720 - 11/29/17 07:53 PM Re: Beachcomber's New Swim Platform [Re: GoFirstClass]  
Dave R Offline
Admiral
Dave R  Offline
Admiral

Raymond NH
Looks awesome. I have a vent like that in mine, sans the Sea Ray logo. Water comes up through it when I come off plane.

"Mischief Managed"
2000 Regal 2550 LSC
7.4 MPI Bravo 3
#569721 - 11/29/17 08:21 PM Re: Beachcomber's New Swim Platform [Re: Dave R]  
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
Originally Posted by Dave R
Looks awesome. I have a vent like that in mine, sans the Sea Ray logo. Water comes up through it when I come off plane.

Aw, Dave, you should have put a vent in there with the SR logo. It would have looked nice on your Regal!

#569722 - 11/29/17 09:03 PM Re: Beachcomber's New Swim Platform [Re: GoFirstClass]  
Justification Offline
Admiral
Justification  Offline
Admiral

Fruit Heights, Utah
nice job.
and just in time for the yearly parade.
What's the theme this year? Tried to invited myself again this year, but the scheduling gods denied the attempt.,

Beer makes you feel the way
You should feel without beer.
#569723 - 11/29/17 10:51 PM Re: Beachcomber's New Swim Platform [Re: GoFirstClass]  
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
Hey Justi, jump in the car and be at the dock not later than 5:30 Friday or Saturday night for a ride in the parade. If you think you can make it, PM me for my phone number and directions to the boat. You gotta know you are always welcome on our boat, and there is room for a couple more pax either night.

Actually, the swp was done in mid summer, I'm just now getting around to putting the photos on the 3rd party site so I could post them on here. GW is tickled about the new platform. Last year on the Saturday night of the parade she took a slider and almost ended up in the drink. The swp was coated with ice and she almost bit it. This swp's non-skid is MUCH more non-skid than the old platform.

The theme this year is my Seahawk ((again)). I wouldn't have done that because of my anti-NFL position but I spent so damm much money on it that I have to get more than one year's use out of it.

#569724 - 11/30/17 11:43 AM Re: Beachcomber's New Swim Platform [Re: GoFirstClass]  
Justification Offline
Admiral
Justification  Offline
Admiral

Fruit Heights, Utah
I really tried, but at my seniority I have little say in where I go or when.
There was a three day trip that spent Friday and Saturday afternoon in Pasco this weekend, but DENIED, went senior.
We went to Kalispell earlier this fall looking for our retirement property, and there was a 4 day trip that spent two nights in Kalispell that would allow me to see some promising pieces in the wintertime instead of the Fall, but DENIED, went senior.
There was a trip that spent two glorious night in San Luis Obispo, at a great place on the Beach, but DENIED, went senior.

Didn't see a trip that spent the night where my oldest sister just moved (unbeknownst to me), and I was lucky enough to get it since I didn't ask for it. I'll get to go see her and her new house instead of getting to boat with you. Silver lining.
Maybe next year.

Beer makes you feel the way
You should feel without beer.
#569725 - 11/30/17 07:31 PM Re: Beachcomber's New Swim Platform [Re: GoFirstClass]  
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
We'll keep a running light on for you. (Paraphrasing our favorite motel chain)

Moderated by  Admin 

Sponsors
New Topics
How to share a CocaCola With Freinds
by Jack T. 12/05/17 08:51 PM
Brunswick to sell off Sea Ray brand
by Capn Morgan. 12/05/17 04:00 PM
Wedding Bells for the D member of my S & D team
by Parrott_head. 12/03/17 10:10 PM
Beachcomber's New Swim Platform
by GoFirstClass. 11/26/17 07:18 PM
GFC's new towable boat?
by MarkHB. 11/23/17 12:10 PM
New Company (Organic Dog Shampoo)
by Bowline. 11/21/17 01:22 PM
2 Diaries
by Jack T. 11/14/17 07:44 PM
Had a hacker try to install ransomware
by Frantically Relaxing. 11/11/17 07:12 PM
Most recommended tire
by jetjack. 11/08/17 06:13 PM
Volvo Alarm
by Boatbottom. 11/03/17 12:25 PM
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 75 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Lumpkins, shabubu22, cowboysfan, Adirondackboater, Lemar14
5428 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23
Topics37,067
Posts561,106
Members5,428
Most Online252
Aug 5th, 2017