I had one bunk that was visibly broken and a few others where the carpet was worn. I had an extended period of time where the boat would be off the trailer in order for me install new bunks.
I purchased the material and had my second mate paint the 2x6.
All bunks painted and ready for carpet.
I had all bunks ready for install prior to my trip as the longer ones are 10 feet and would need to be placed inside the boat. The first one installed is always a learning curve. My process was to remove one bunk and then replace with new.
Half way finished.
I went with 2x6 hem fir and used indoor/outdoor carpet and cut to length and width. I also purchased 1,000 staples for a pneumatic staple gun, it is amazing how many staples I went through. I also purchased all new lag screws and inserted in all 6 holes instead of only 4 holes as previous. I lifted on each bunk and shook the entire trailer and the 2x6 didn't budge.
After removing all the old wood it was very apparent that even though only one bunk was visibly damaged, many areas of the wood had soft spots in it. The old wood will be used to edge a garden area once the carpet has been removed.
The pictures are taken in a trailer storage area, I like to call it a bone yard as many of these boat trailers are placed in storage and forgotten as the boats are often times permanently placed on lifts. It is a shame of the condition of some as a result of being left outside for years.