Regal's fixed, took us on this season's maiden voyage, and is parked at the dock..
Turns out what I REALLY screwed up was my diagnosis-
chain of events starting last weekend:
1- put boat in water-
2- fired up stbd engine, idled a few seconds, depressed gear disengage and revved up a snick, idled back down, ok so far
3- fired up port engine. Gear disengage is missing, went downstairs for an air freshener stick from on top of the microwave, take it up, pushed in the disengage, turned around and I see the bilge is about 3" deep... Crap!
-- starboard engine is dumping water!
Shut down engines, pulled boat out and drained bilge.
4- need to check the port engine. Backed down, fired up, waited a bit, DAM... It's pouring water too!
-- both engines, great. Assuming PS coolers and/or intake manifold froze...
** that was last week **
1- took a plex mirror and my good flashlight, and my inspection camera into the boat. Turns out the inspection camera is a 2-man job, one to aim the snake, one to look at the screen. There's so many hoses and steering arms and wires and exhaust pipes I couldn't make sense of what I was seeing.
2- removed the plastic intake covers. Best thing I did.
3- Found the PS coolers, just behind the intake, above the bell housing. They're mounted on an angle so they'll drain, which they did. Nothing wrong with either one. Oh crap-?
4- upon further inspection, no place on either motor could I find a crack, bad freeze plug, nor any sign any water had leaked from anywhere, ever!? Both engines had a light coating of dust, everywhere. None washed off...??
5- broke out the muffs, and about then a harbor friend shows up. I explain everything, we hook up the starboard, fire it up. 15 minutes later, not a drop of water leaking inside anywhere... ??? oooh kaaay..
6- hook up the port engine, I fire it up and then I joined him outside as we're checking out all the water coming from the bellows (which is normal)... In very short order, water starts pouring out the bilge drain.
7- I climb aboard, and find water pouring from the upper-tier drain under the engine.
-crap- I assume water's coming from the only engine side I couldn't check out. Friend says 'let me have a look'. Sure, a second set of eyes couldn't hurt...
He looks for all of about 2 seconds, then points about 2-o'clock, 'It's coming from right there!'...
I look-- right WHERE?
'from that box'...
'that box' I never paid no never mind to-- it's the water heater- which was disconnected when we got it and still is.
What I failed to think about, was that this water heater is also heated by engine water, like our motorhome.
The heat exchanger was leaking- BADLY! And from the looks of the rust along the bottom of the housing, it explains why I had water in the bilge LAST year. Wasn't much, but more than the none I was expecting. And the hoses I drained last year would have drained it too. But maybe a little residual water froze and made it worse...
Not being able to reach the hoses where they connect to the water heater without removing the port-port exhaust risers (at the least), I went to HD, spent $44 on a couple of valves, fittings and hose clamps, cut each water line (they both come right to the middle of the boat near the inner motor mount, easy to get at), put in the valves, closed them, done. No more water pouring out!
SO- I got faked out about the first leak
-and the second set of eyes found THEE leak. I would've found it eventually, but whatever, I'm VERY happy I'm not staring a many boat bucks repair in the face!
(and this frickin' boat runs GREAT after cleaning all the guck off the fire arrestors!)
Heavy sigh, but all's well...
Now just have to finish up the big boat...
(sorry for the novel)