Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#568382 - 07/04/17 04:14 AM Boy did I screw up- take 2  
Frantically Relaxing Online content
Admiral
Frantically Relaxing  Online Content
Admiral

Good news!

Regal's fixed, took us on this season's maiden voyage, and is parked at the dock..

Turns out what I REALLY screwed up was my diagnosis- wink

chain of events starting last weekend:
1- put boat in water-

2- fired up stbd engine, idled a few seconds, depressed gear disengage and revved up a snick, idled back down, ok so far

3- fired up port engine. Gear disengage is missing, went downstairs for an air freshener stick from on top of the microwave, take it up, pushed in the disengage, turned around and I see the bilge is about 3" deep... Crap!

-- starboard engine is dumping water!

Shut down engines, pulled boat out and drained bilge.

4- need to check the port engine. Backed down, fired up, waited a bit, DAM... It's pouring water too!

-- both engines, great. Assuming PS coolers and/or intake manifold froze...

** that was last week **

Yesterday:
1- took a plex mirror and my good flashlight, and my inspection camera into the boat. Turns out the inspection camera is a 2-man job, one to aim the snake, one to look at the screen. There's so many hoses and steering arms and wires and exhaust pipes I couldn't make sense of what I was seeing.

2- removed the plastic intake covers. Best thing I did.

3- Found the PS coolers, just behind the intake, above the bell housing. They're mounted on an angle so they'll drain, which they did. Nothing wrong with either one. Oh crap-?

4- upon further inspection, no place on either motor could I find a crack, bad freeze plug, nor any sign any water had leaked from anywhere, ever!? Both engines had a light coating of dust, everywhere. None washed off...??

5- broke out the muffs, and about then a harbor friend shows up. I explain everything, we hook up the starboard, fire it up. 15 minutes later, not a drop of water leaking inside anywhere... ??? oooh kaaay..

6- hook up the port engine, I fire it up and then I joined him outside as we're checking out all the water coming from the bellows (which is normal)... In very short order, water starts pouring out the bilge drain.

7- I climb aboard, and find water pouring from the upper-tier drain under the engine.

-crap- I assume water's coming from the only engine side I couldn't check out. Friend says 'let me have a look'. Sure, a second set of eyes couldn't hurt...

He looks for all of about 2 seconds, then points about 2-o'clock, 'It's coming from right there!'...

I look-- right WHERE?

'from that box'...

'that box' I never paid no never mind to-- it's the water heater- which was disconnected when we got it and still is.

However-

What I failed to think about, was that this water heater is also heated by engine water, like our motorhome.

The heat exchanger was leaking- BADLY! And from the looks of the rust along the bottom of the housing, it explains why I had water in the bilge LAST year. Wasn't much, but more than the none I was expecting. And the hoses I drained last year would have drained it too. But maybe a little residual water froze and made it worse...

Not being able to reach the hoses where they connect to the water heater without removing the port-port exhaust risers (at the least), I went to HD, spent $44 on a couple of valves, fittings and hose clamps, cut each water line (they both come right to the middle of the boat near the inner motor mount, easy to get at), put in the valves, closed them, done. No more water pouring out!

SO- I got faked out about the first leak smile -and the second set of eyes found THEE leak. I would've found it eventually, but whatever, I'm VERY happy I'm not staring a many boat bucks repair in the face!

(and this frickin' boat runs GREAT after cleaning all the guck off the fire arrestors!)

Heavy sigh, but all's well...

Now just have to finish up the big boat...

(sorry for the novel) wink

A Word from Our Sponsors
#568383 - 07/04/17 08:42 AM Re: Boy did I screw up- take 2 [Re: Frantically Relaxing]  
tpenfield Offline
Admiral
tpenfield  Offline
Admiral

Cape Cod, MA
Thanks for sharing FR. The water heater in my boat runs only off of the Port engine. It sounds like your boat is set up to run off of both engines idn

Did you winterize the water tank last Fall ?

Regards, Ted

Formula 330SS

My Boat Web Sites
#568384 - 07/04/17 09:48 AM Re: Boy did I screw up- take 2 [Re: Frantically Relaxing]  
captkevin Online content
Admiral
captkevin  Online Content
Admiral

Chicago, IL
Great to hear things worked out.

2004 Rinker 232
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Laramie 4x4
#568385 - 07/04/17 11:59 AM Re: Boy did I screw up- take 2 [Re: captkevin]  
Dock Holiday Offline
Admiral
Dock Holiday  Offline
Admiral

Lake Geneva, WI
Originally Posted By: captkevin
Great to hear things worked out.

+1

Good jog hanging in there and getting it sorted (without spending a fortune).

Last edited by Dock Holiday; 07/04/17 12:18 PM.
#568386 - 07/04/17 02:07 PM Re: Boy did I screw up- take 2 [Re: Frantically Relaxing]  
Admiral
Admiral

Ted, my WH runs only off the port engine also. Nothing about the stbd engine was ever leaking, I only THOUGHT it was leaking, due to the timing of when I started the two engines. I didn't think the port engine had been running long enough to even start leaking, so I assumed it was the stbd. And yes I winterized it, turns out I did everything right actually- only thing I didn't do was turn over the engines for a few seconds to drain out the water pump. And the heat exchanger was likely bone dry anyway--Here's some stills from my GoPro video, shows the water pouring down. Notice all the black on the bilge wall where the water's hitting it, and all the paint missing against the stringer. That didn't just happen, that thing's been leaking at least a little bit for a long time. Probably part of the reason the guy sold the boat wink

Same pics with water lines explained--

-------------
One heater line tees into the right block drain right at the block, the other tees into the large pump hose, between the pump and thermostat. Both of those lines were drained off during my winterize--

And, here's the stbd power steering cooler-- it's distorted as the camera was in super-wide mode- yellow is the cooler, blue is the water out line to the pump, orange is the one hydraulic line...

#568387 - 07/05/17 04:36 PM Re: Boy did I screw up- take 2 [Re: Frantically Relaxing]  
BartsPlace Offline
Captain
BartsPlace  Offline
Captain

Lindon, UT
So glad you're back in business! And with water in the lake too!

2008 Four Winns H220 Frenzy Edition
VP 5.7Gi DP
#568388 - 07/05/17 11:59 PM Re: Boy did I screw up- take 2 [Re: BartsPlace]  
Justification Offline
Admiral
Justification  Offline
Admiral

Fruit Heights, Utah
Originally Posted By: BartsPlace
So glad you're back in business! And with water in the lake too!

My thoughts exactly.
No go out and enjoy that (relatively) deep water while it lasts.

Beer makes you feel the way
You should feel without beer.
#568389 - 07/06/17 01:22 AM Re: Boy did I screw up- take 2 [Re: Frantically Relaxing]  
Admiral
Admiral

you guys are funny-- The first half mile out is less than 3' deep- but to be fair, it's all prop wash buildup. After that half mile I actually found 6' deep water!

What's pissing me off is this:

Jordanelle: 98.63% full

Deer Creek: 97.33% full

Currant Creek: 96.18%

Lost Lake: 100.89%

Starvation: 95.2%

Strawberry: 86.19%

Trial Lake: 99.97%

Upper Stillwater: 99.5%

Washington Lake: 100.3%

Rockport: 111%

Willard: 'full'

-----Utah Lake---- 71.42% ouch

What the hell, man???? We peaked at about 74% around 3 weeks ago and it's going back down. Well be back to drives in the mud by mid August at this rate...

This is the biggest freshwater lake this side of the Mississippi and it's still the Rodney Dangerfield of boating places in this state...

#568401 - 07/06/17 05:42 PM Re: Boy did I screw up- take 2 [Re: Frantically Relaxing]  
BartsPlace Offline
Captain
BartsPlace  Offline
Captain

Lindon, UT
Quote:
it's still the Rodney Dangerfield of boating places in this state

lol Now THAT is funny! lol

2008 Four Winns H220 Frenzy Edition
VP 5.7Gi DP
#568406 - 07/06/17 10:04 PM Re: Boy did I screw up- take 2 [Re: Frantically Relaxing]  
athiker Offline
Admiral
athiker  Offline
Admiral

Lake Norman, NC
Glad you got things running, sorry to hear about the lake level. Our family vacation was out west this year and we flew in and out of SLC. I found myself driving up 15 and looked over and realized I was seeing the sun set over Utah Lake. I thought hey FR must be liking all the early summer runoff this year! Sorry to hear it wasn't so.

2000 Cobalt 206 5.7L EFI Alpha 1
#568407 - 07/06/17 11:42 PM Re: Boy did I screw up- take 2 [Re: Frantically Relaxing]  
WayWeGo Offline
Admiral
WayWeGo  Offline
Admiral

Oakton, VA
Really glad to hear you got it worked out without a huge bill or lots of down time!

1975 Trojan F36 Convertible, Twin Chrysler 440's
2014 West Marine AL360 Inflatable, 1966 Mercury 6HP, 1992 Mercury 20HP

Moderated by  Admin 

Sponsors
New Topics
New Company (Organic Dog Shampoo)
by Bowline. 11/21/17 01:22 PM
2 Diaries
by Jack T. 11/14/17 07:44 PM
Had a hacker try to install ransomware
by Frantically Relaxing. 11/11/17 07:12 PM
I guess it's time...
by Just Bob. 11/09/17 02:34 PM
Most recommended tire
by jetjack. 11/08/17 06:13 PM
Ship runs aground
by captkevin. 11/08/17 01:00 PM
Volvo Alarm
by Boatbottom. 11/03/17 12:25 PM
Massive Kidde Fire Extinguisher Recall
by GoFirstClass. 11/02/17 07:38 PM
Tire dilemma for truck.
by Silverbullet. 10/31/17 12:57 PM
Volvo penta 5.0 tstat o ring lost
by wijeff. 10/29/17 08:27 PM
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (captkevin), 51 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Lumpkins, shabubu22, cowboysfan, Adirondackboater, Lemar14
5428 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23
Topics37,062
Posts561,040
Members5,428
Most Online252
Aug 5th, 2017