Rate This Thread
#567782 - 05/16/17 12:16 AM Contemplating selling my boat  
MarkHB Offline
Dressed for dinner
MarkHB  Offline
Dressed for dinner
Admiral

Norris Lake, TN
The last year has taken my wife and I to Mexico, south of Cancun every few weeks. The last few months we have been looking at real estate for ourselves and family. We have taken a few trips with family and it has been great. (Hey, I am easy to get along with and likeable). We are even looking at retiring and moving down there, it is a great lifestyle, the same I grew up with.
A year ago my niece passed away in Mexico which took me to the beach where she died. I thought then, WOW, my wife would love it here and she sure did when we flew back a month later.
So, now we have narrowed our search down to 2 beach front houses. One is remote (20 minutes south of Tulum). It is self sufficient in power with solar and wind generation.
The other is in a village 15 minutes north of Tulum with restaurants a bike ride away and able to swim with the turtles. The turtles nest on the beach out front of the house.
A reef is offshore on both houses.
SO, now I am sadly, probably, going to sell my boat of 12 years. I love my boat and all the family time it has brought us, both with the family and church kids from St California who never get to go on a boat.
We were thinking of buying a DRV 5th wheel a year ago and leaving it lake side at Havasu, but my niece sure changed that.

24' Monterey Explorer
Honda PWC
http://www.picturetrail.com/markhb

Golf!! Waste of a good gun range.
#567783 - 05/16/17 12:24 AM Re: Contemplating selling my boat [Re: MarkHB]  
captkevin Online content
Admiral
captkevin  Online Content
Admiral

Chicago, IL
That sounds like quite an exciting adventure

2004 Rinker 232
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Laramie 4x4
#567787 - 05/16/17 03:15 PM Re: Contemplating selling my boat [Re: MarkHB]  
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
Mark, I can relate to the sad feelings you're going through. We're probably a couple of years away from selling our boat and I'm already having some remorse when I think about it.

Life takes us down many different paths and the transition from one familiar path to a new one can make us experience a lot of dissonance over the decision.

Go with it. Play with the turtles and enjoy the new path. But stay in touch on BABC.

"Beachcomber" 1995 Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge

Anchor's down......Bottoms Up!
#567793 - 05/18/17 11:44 PM Re: Contemplating selling my boat [Re: MarkHB]  
Parrott_head Offline
Admiral of Vice
Parrott_head  Offline
Admiral of Vice
Admiral

Sounds like a little slice of Heaven....

Former owner of a 2002 Four Winns 234 FunShip
'16 F250 4x4 Oil Burner
"Hey, if I'm a Vice Admiral, which vice do I get to claim?"
#567819 - 05/22/17 06:44 PM Re: Contemplating selling my boat [Re: MarkHB]  
athiker Offline
Admiral
athiker  Offline
Admiral

Lake Norman, NC
First, I'm sorry about your niece, but glad she led you to a place of happiness and I assume a place she enjoyed. Not sure if this is the town you mention north of Tulum, Akumal is a little farther, maybe 30 minutes. It's a nice beach town and we thoroughly enjoyed our vacation nearby a couple years back. We stayed at a beach house with friends a good solid beach walk south...maybe a mile or so.

According to our friends Akumal has developed quite a bit over the last 10 years so not sure if your cup of tea. We liked it though. There is a 2nd level open air restaurant just after you enter town on the left called Taverna Akumal that we enjoyed. We ate seafood in one night and took pizza out another. Owner Alberto Lombardi was there both nights, very engaging guy, has multiple restaurants around the U.S. There is also an ice cream/bakery shop and multiple other restaurants on an off the beach.

We had snorkeled out from out house during the week with no turtles, but once we went up to Akumal Bay the last day we saw multiple turtles, made my daughter's vacation. The nearby cenotes were cool too, we visited several of them. Definitely a different lifestyle!

I always try to read a book set in the areas we visit. A novel I read while down there is Xtabentum - A Novel of Yucatan gave some history and flavor of the region.

You weren't just on HGTV were you? smile They just had a beach house episode based in Akumal, someone told me about it but I missed it.

Hope you find your dream spot, there are certainly worse ways to spend time. You should still be able to squeeze in some boating time on the water down there too! pirate Good luck in your search.

2000 Cobalt 206 5.7L EFI Alpha 1
#567839 - 05/23/17 11:23 PM Re: Contemplating selling my boat [Re: MarkHB]  
MarkHB Offline
Dressed for dinner
MarkHB  Offline
Dressed for dinner
Admiral

Norris Lake, TN
Thanks for the thoughts about my niece. She was like a daughter to me since she did not have much of a Father in her life (my BIL).
Funny how you mention Akumal, as this is the beach we are looking and also the next beach down Adventuras Akumal. We absolutely love it there. I know the restaurant you wrote about, we have not eaten there but have a few times in the place downstairs next to the car park. The Cenotes are really cool place to swim. We had a private swim in one with friends and then went underground and followed a river for about a mile. Both walking and swimming with flashlights as it is dark as dark with no lights.

One place is in Sian Ka'an, south of Tulum. Absolutely beautiful area, both on the lagoon (300ft) and 328ft of beachfront. Just far from anywhere we want to eat. 20 minutes south of Tulum.
The other is n the village of Akumal past the Dive Shop and La Buena Vida restaurant.

Heading back down in a couple of weeks to talk to the real estate agent.

24' Monterey Explorer
Honda PWC
http://www.picturetrail.com/markhb

Golf!! Waste of a good gun range.

Moderated by  Admin 

Sponsors
New Topics
Some birthdays on the Forum Today
by Jack T. 04/02/20 06:53 PM
Is your lake open?
by Senoj. 04/02/20 08:04 AM
Shots fired call
by GoFirstClass. 04/01/20 03:32 PM
My 2020 boat project plans
by Dave R. 03/27/20 01:58 PM
Animal chewed hole in boat lift air tank
by Autojock2002. 03/25/20 04:37 PM
Boys Weekend
by On Holiday. 03/18/20 09:13 AM
Have you seen this video?
by GoFirstClass. 03/15/20 03:05 PM
Best take on the Coronavirus Scare yet
by Justification. 03/11/20 07:42 PM
You check your oil, have you checked your PSA lately?
by GoFirstClass. 03/01/20 12:08 AM
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (captkevin), 37 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
KJ20, krouchchocolate, Autojock2002, Lee_Ohmart, Chevyman67
5505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23
Topics37,350
Posts564,768
Members5,505
Most Online252
Aug 5th, 2017