Rate This Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#547063 - 06/26/13 09:12 AM Re: Journey of a Lifetime [Re: GoFirstClass]  
FreshWaterLover Offline
Admiral
FreshWaterLover  Offline
Admiral

Burbank, IL
Glad you made it home safe and sound. Scary that you witnessed a serious accident so close. I'm very glad you were ahead of it. Can't wait to see the rest of what you have on the trip.

Tami

2013 Ocean Kayak Torque
2013 Bass Tracker Pro Team 175 TF

"The more you learn, the more you have a framework that the knowledge fits into" - Bill Gates
#547072 - 06/26/13 05:28 PM Re: Journey of a Lifetime [Re: GoFirstClass]  
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
Last Day

We raised the anchor and pulled out of Richardson Bay under grey skies and a light sprinkle. We headed up into the bay and just slow cruised toward the new home slip for Following Seas. Here are a few pics of what it looked like….

We spotted this beautiful lighthouse home not long after leaving Richardson Bay…

Here’s a shot of the happy crew as we got closer to the marina….

and here are three shots of Following Seas in her new slip…..

and last but not least, the rumors of Stuart’s arrival must have gotten there ahead of him. Here’s his welcoming committee…

As we got safely into the slip and tied up there was a welcoming committee waiting. They had stretched a length of blue tape across the opening to the slip so we’d have a “finish line tape” to break as we backed in.

After getting her safely secured in the slip the cold ones were opened and a small but lively celebration started.

Here are also some videos I took on the way from Richardson Bay to the new slip….

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f91oIA7axAc[/VIDEO]

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAw5W4kpfYw[/VIDEO]

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAw5W4kpfYw[/VIDEO]

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysAUYvyu2VU[/VIDEO]

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_CnOdU8wxI[/VIDEO]

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCle2KGVccQ[/VIDEO]

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGXbhezYwvM[/VIDEO]

So that's it. Those are the last of the pics and videos of our Journey Of A Lifetime! Glad you could all join us for this little jaunt!

GFC

"Beachcomber" 1995 Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge

Anchor's down......Bottoms Up!
#547073 - 06/26/13 05:57 PM Re: Journey of a Lifetime [Re: GoFirstClass]  
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
Just a little tid bit of info to add on….

During our trip we posted on five threads, boatingabc, clubsearay, iboatnw, trawlerorum and baylinerownersclub. At this point those threads have been viewed 19,550 times and there are a total of 853 comments posted.

Thanks for joining with us on the trip and the postings. It makes me feel good to know there are many out there who had fun with us.

#547074 - 06/26/13 06:05 PM Re: Journey of a Lifetime [Re: GoFirstClass]  
FreshWaterLover Offline
Admiral
FreshWaterLover  Offline
Admiral

Burbank, IL
Quote:
As we got safely into the slip and tied up there was a welcoming committee waiting. They had stretched a length of blue tape across the opening to the slip so we’d have a “finish line tape” to break as we backed in.

How cute!

Tami

2013 Ocean Kayak Torque
2013 Bass Tracker Pro Team 175 TF

"The more you learn, the more you have a framework that the knowledge fits into" - Bill Gates
#547076 - 06/26/13 06:27 PM Re: Journey of a Lifetime [Re: GoFirstClass]  
Lambert Laker Offline
Admiral
Lambert Laker  Offline
Admiral

MD
GFC,
I have been hitting and missing your posts since you started this thread.
I must go back and read them all.
Thank you for including so many in your journey – well received smile thumb

LL

"Common Sense is not common to everyone"
#547077 - 06/26/13 07:52 PM Re: Journey of a Lifetime [Re: GoFirstClass]  
SNUPY Offline
Admiral
SNUPY  Offline
Admiral

Northern Ca
Thanks for taking us along.......a bit sad your trip is over. Enjoyed the pictures, videos, and the narrative.

George
2008 Reinell 220 LSE
Slow like a Pro... Not fast like an A$$

#547083 - 06/26/13 09:17 PM Re: Journey of a Lifetime [Re: GoFirstClass]  
MarkHB Offline
Dressed for dinner
MarkHB  Offline
Dressed for dinner
Admiral

CA
As you were leaving Richardson Bay you passed right by our family compound on your port side. I am only there a few times a year for family functions.
The Naval mothball fleet is impressive over near Martinez. I can't remember the name of the battleship that is moored there.

See any cargo ships up the river?

24' Monterey Explorer
Honda PWC
http://www.picturetrail.com/markhb

Golf!! Waste of a good gun range.
#547084 - 06/26/13 09:28 PM Re: Journey of a Lifetime [Re: GoFirstClass]  
MarkHB Offline
Dressed for dinner
MarkHB  Offline
Dressed for dinner
Admiral

CA
Originally Posted By: GoFirstClass
Last Day

We spotted this beautiful lighthouse home not long after leaving Richardson Bay…

GFC

East Brother Light House just after you passed San Quentin

24' Monterey Explorer
Honda PWC

#547086 - 06/26/13 11:05 PM Re: Journey of a Lifetime [Re: GoFirstClass]  
etyppo Offline
Admiral
etyppo  Offline
Admiral

Northern California
Fun to meet GFC and the rest of the crew (and see Snupy and another local boater I've met in the past) Stuart has a beautiful boat and he'll enjoy his new home. That maina is very nice, and is home to the local Sheriff's dept. as seen in the picture.

The lighthouse is now a bed and breakfast. They shuttle you out in a boat for overnights. Supposed to be a fun experience. Mark - the battleship was the iowa. It is actually down in your part of the state now, and open for tours.

2006 Cobalt 263 Mercruiser 8.1
#547087 - 06/27/13 12:03 AM Re: Journey of a Lifetime [Re: GoFirstClass]  
MarkHB Offline
Dressed for dinner
MarkHB  Offline
Dressed for dinner
Admiral

CA
I would guess San Diego then for the berthing of the Iowa.

24' Monterey Explorer
Honda PWC

#547088 - 06/27/13 12:59 AM Re: Journey of a Lifetime [Re: MarkHB]  
etyppo Offline
Admiral
etyppo  Offline
Admiral

Northern California
Originally Posted By: MarkHB

Port San Pedro. I'm going to try to go see it when I'm down there for some meetings in August.

2006 Cobalt 263 Mercruiser 8.1
#547092 - 06/27/13 06:47 AM Re: Journey of a Lifetime [Re: etyppo]  
MarkHB Offline
Dressed for dinner
MarkHB  Offline
Dressed for dinner
Admiral

CA
Originally Posted By: etyppo
Originally Posted By: MarkHB

Port San Pedro. I'm going to try to go see it when I'm down there for some meetings in August.

I never heard it ever arrived. I need to expand my news gathering. A visit will be in store for sure. Thanks for the info.

24' Monterey Explorer
Honda PWC

#547095 - 06/27/13 07:57 AM Re: Journey of a Lifetime [Re: GoFirstClass]  
Admin Offline
Admin  Offline

Admiral

Cyberland
Great adventure and accounting thereof Mike. thumb

Thanks for sharing the journey with us.

Mike

BoatingABC.com
My imaginary friend thinks you have serious problems.
#547101 - 06/27/13 09:03 AM Re: Journey of a Lifetime [Re: GoFirstClass]  
KD4PBS Offline
Admiral
KD4PBS  Offline
Admiral

Very nice, and wow... what an amazing experience!
Now you're ready to head to Japan on Beachcomber!

#547103 - 06/27/13 09:17 AM Re: Journey of a Lifetime [Re: GoFirstClass]  
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
Reflections on the Journey of a Lifetime…..

In the past when I’ve taken trips on the boat I’ve posted threads similar to this and after the trip is done I’ve come back and posted some of my thoughts and recollections of the trip. That’s what this post will be and I’m hoping it will provide some closure to a great trip for all of us.

Before I get started on this though, I’d like to thank Stuart for providing the opportunity for me to make this trip. From before I had even considered being a part of this I recognized that it would be the trip of a lifetime and it was. So Thanks Stuart. It was fun, I learned a lot, and had a great time.

I’d also like to thank Doug for being the kind of guy he is. I learned many things from him and appreciated his good nature, his ability to joke about things and to hang in there when the seas got a bit rough. As an example, while I was hanging over the galley sink depositing my breakfast, Doug was making a pulled pork sandwich. He was kind enough to ask me if making the sandwich was going to upset my stomach even more, saying he’d go up to the pilothouse to eat it if I wanted him to. It wouldn’t have bothered me, but just the fact that he thought to ask makes a huge comment about the kind of guy Doug is. I hope we get to do some boating together again in the future. I’ll let you show me around the San Juans and points north!

In one of the forums I’ve posted my ‘blog’ on someone mentioned a feeling of depression when the trip is over. He likened it to a post-partum depression. Well I can assure you right up front that none of us delivered a baby on this cruise but I am feeling a bit sad/depressed that the trip has ended.

All of the pre-trip excitement that comes with high expectations for a great cruise, the hours spent on planning to make sure you have everything you will need, the menu planning I did (more on that later) and just the excitement of the new adventure kept me on a high for several weeks. As the departure date grew nearer the smile on my ugly mug grew wider.

I went into this journey not as a new boater but as an experienced boater heading out on a new adventure. I know that at some point GW and I are going to take Beachcomber up the coast of WA and into Canada. This trip was to be, in many ways, a training mission for that. I’d never spent much time on the ocean and I’d get that experience on this trip. I’d never done any real long distance trip planning and route planning and I’d also get to do some of that on this trip.

I was going into the trip with high expectations and I was not disappointed. Yeah, we were disappointed by having to hole up in port a few days, but that’s part of boating. The rough weather we experienced on the way to Ilwaco was a bit more than I expected but with 20/20 hindsight I’m glad we encountered that rough water because now I have a better sense of what it means when they say “swells of 5’-8’ and a 1’-2’ wind chop on 10 seconds.” I know the next time I’ll stay in port if the heights of the swells + wind waves = the wave separation time. Ain’t no reason for this kid to be out there trying to prove to mama nature that I’m capable of handling anything she can throw at me.

I’d never met the other two (Stuart and Doug) I was to cruise with before we met at the boat. There’s always a bit of apprehension about being thrown into a boat with two guys you don’t know for 7-10 days. Experienced boaters have developed their own styles; their own ways of doing things. When those styles don’t fit perfectly with the styles of the other two there can be conflicts…..and there were. The good thing is the conflicts were all minor and we were able to resolve them on board. The cops didn’t think they were a big problem either. Just kidding…no cops were harmed in the making of this trip.

Following Seas performed nearly flawlessly. When you figure that Stuart just got this boat about 3 weeks before we departed and spent much of that time installing air conditioning and other equipment, it’s not surprising that he knew the boat pretty well. There were a few small glitches but nothing that couldn’t be easily rectified. For example, the porthole windows in my stateroom leaked. Not just a tiny bit, they leaked a decent size trickle. As fate would have it, there were no hangars on board so I had put my clothes on the shelf beneath the window. The one where the water ran down and soaked all my clothes. Stuart applied a couple of coats of silicone sealant around the perimeter and that fixed it. It took a couple of days for my bedding and clothes to thoroughly dry but that’s OK, I lived with it and we did OK.

We ate like kings on this trip. I had done the menu planning, bought all the food ahead of time, prepared some of it before I left home and fixed the rest of it on board as we traveled. I planned on meals for four people for 8 days. There were only 3 on board and we ate dinner out twice in Eureka so Stuart is not going to have to buy groceries for awhile for the boat because there will be lots of stuff left over. Dinner menus consisted of a beef roast, two pork roasts, a fresh halibut filet, salmon, and an assortment of fresh vegetables, corn on the cob and all sorts of snacks and cheeses. Lunches consisted of pulled pork sandwich meat made from the pork tenderloin roasts. Nobody was going to leave this boat lighter than when they first stepped aboard.

When I take off on a trip such as this I try to mentally prepare myself for any eventuality. I don’t like bad surprises when they pop up. I can gladly say that on this trip we had no bad surprises. Well except for maybe the day we were headed to Ilwaco and I gave back breakfast. That was the first time I’ve ever ralphed from motion sickness. When Doug and I hiked up to Costco in Eureka I got some killer pills to take care of that. I took them the day we left Eureka and, while the waves weren’t as large as we’d seen before, I felt no queasiness at all. Thanks Costco.

So all things considered I’d have to say that this trip was a great success. I learned a lot about long distance navigating, about rough water boat handling, food prep when the boat is rocking, and how AIS is such a benefit. I certainly won’t say that we couldn’t have made this trip without the AIS, but it was nice to have. Radar, on the other hand, was absolutely essential. I would never even try a trip like this without a good Radar and chart plotter. The importance of those two cannot be overstated. Having heat and a/c on the boat made it much more comfortable. We used both at varying times and it was nice to have them.

Following Seas is a very nicely equipped yacht. It’s about the same length (60’) as my boat but about 1.5’ wider. That additional space is very nice. It’s also a very comfortable boat. It’s hard to draw a comparison between Following Seas and Beachcomber. There are some things about this boat that I like better than mine, but also things about my boat I like better than this one. That’s natural. Would I trade? Nope. Stuart and I were talking one day and he asked me what I would change about my boat. I honestly couldn’t think of anything major that I would change because I’m very happy with Beachcomber.

Well I guess that’s about all I have to say at this time. If anyone has any specific questions about any of this or about the trip in general, fire away and I’ll respond to them.

GFC

#547187 - 06/28/13 05:09 PM Re: Journey of a Lifetime [Re: GoFirstClass]  
ISUforNU Offline
Captain
ISUforNU  Offline
Captain

Bennington, NE
GFC:

Thanks again for journaling your adventure. For a small lake boater like myself, I find it fascinating reading and dreaming. The way you deliver your story, I almost feel like I am there with you.

As odd as it sounds, I also feel like I have come to know you personally. Odd, I know. Not that you will but, if you ever find yourself in my area, please look me up.

2011 - Cobalt 232 - 350 Mag MPI ECT B3
2003 - Sea-Doo RX-DI (2 ea)
#547219 - 06/29/13 12:12 AM Re: Journey of a Lifetime [Re: GoFirstClass]  
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
ISU, thanks for extending that invitation. Same goes for you traveling out here. Want a ride on the Columbia? It's not THAT far from Bennington to Pasco, and the major highways that head to the PNW from the Midwest pass right through our area.

Well, it's further than I thought. 1524 miles according to Google Maps. Not really a day trip, but it's not like FL to WA.

#547323 - 07/01/13 11:46 AM Re: Journey of a Lifetime [Re: GoFirstClass]  
beej Offline
Captain
beej  Offline
Captain

Des Moines, IA
GFC,

I wanted to add my thanks for all of your posts, pics and video which took us along on your journey of a lifetime! It was fun to live vicariously through you and your trip! Obviously with all of the views on the different boards you posted on, lots of people were enjoying the ride!

Thanks for sharing!

beej

2009 Cobalt 242
#547398 - 07/03/13 07:13 AM Re: Journey of a Lifetime [Re: GoFirstClass]  
captkevin Offline
Admiral
captkevin  Offline
Admiral

Chicago, IL
Not sure if i missed it or not but do you have any idea how many gallons of fuel was used on your trip?

2004 Rinker 232
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Laramie 4x4
#547412 - 07/03/13 02:09 PM Re: Journey of a Lifetime [Re: GoFirstClass]  
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
Sorry Kevin, but I don't. I figured it wasn't my business to know how much he spent so I wasn't paying attention to gallons or price.

He did mention at some point that he had spent "around $5,000" for fuel.

That would be about right at .7 mph for 1,000 miles would be ~1400 gallons and at a rough estimate of the cost/gallon of $3.75 that would be $5,600.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Admin 

Sponsors
New Topics
Oil Filter Mess
by Boatbottom. 10/18/18 02:06 PM
Trent-Severn next Summer
by Dave R. 10/16/18 08:25 AM
Booking Flights - wow
by casualboater. 10/13/18 08:29 PM
Boat cover
by oldnamwaterskier. 10/12/18 12:45 AM
Want to convert my trailer to bunks
by Ratdoggy. 10/10/18 03:20 PM
How to make a hole bigger.....
by GoFirstClass. 10/05/18 08:22 PM
Buzzards Bay/Martha's Vineyard
by Dave R. 10/05/18 01:56 PM
DEEP AND WIDE 14’ ALUMINUM UTILITY BOAT
by hershey2014. 10/05/18 01:33 PM
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 99 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
oldnamwaterskier, farmermike, FrankC, skidmark, calmwaters
5461 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23
Topics37,203
Posts563,137
Members5,461
Most Online252
Aug 5th, 2017