Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#546857 - 06/19/13 11:44 PM Re: Journey of a Lifetime [Re: GoFirstClass]  
GoFirstClass Online content
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Online Content
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
We’re now in Coos Bay, OR after a 13-hour marathon run that covered about 175 miles. We crossed over the bar to get in here around 6:30 or so and this was a very long day. Much smoother than the day we had getting into Ilwaco, but still pretty lumpy. It started out fairly smooth again, then the swells picked up to about 4’-7’ with about a 1’-2’ wind chop on top of them. I'm learning a lot about ocean navigating and about ocean swells and wind waves and how the boat reacts to them.

I spent much more time at the helm today, having apparently beaten down the Gods of seasickness. I may have spoken too soon though because tomorrow we pass Cape Blanco and that area is notorious for being rough.

So here are some pictures from Ilwaco. It’s not much of a town so there aren’t many pics of it, but here’s what I shot….

THis was on a garage in town. The plaque near the top marks the high water mark of the flood of 1947

Main street Ilwaco. Not much there.

Two views of the harbor...

Our Chariot....

AKBASSKING and his Admiral stopped by while we were in Ilwaco and bought us a couple of boxes of Klondike Bars. Gotta love boaters like that. From left to right...me, Stuart, Tom and Doug.

Red sky at night......you know the rest! IT worked because we had pretty smooth seas for much of today.

"Beachcomber" 1995 Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge

Anchor's down......Bottoms Up!
#546858 - 06/19/13 11:53 PM Re: Journey of a Lifetime [Re: GoFirstClass]  
NoMoBoatN Offline
Admiral
NoMoBoatN  Offline
Admiral

Riverside, So Cal
THAT WAS FUN! Thanks for sharing. Reminded me of sailing between Maui and Molokai on our 48 foot cat... You felt the boost of speed of the swell on the stern coming in over the bar. We used to 'drop in' on 4-6 foot swells running with the seas and the sails set 'wing on wing'.. I miss the open ocean.

great videos... be safe and keep shooting.

05 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 'Limited Edition'

#546862 - 06/20/13 08:21 AM Re: Journey of a Lifetime [Re: GoFirstClass]  
Retired Boating Bum
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
It’s Thursday, coming up on 0600 and I’m the first one up. That’s not been the pattern because I haven’t really felt like dragging my butt out of the sack. I think yesterday’s run, being so much nicer than the one before when we were headed to Ilwaco, has made me feel better.

Last night’s dinner was a beef roast along with corn on the cob that was cooked on the propane grill. That was preceeded by some taco chips, guacamole and salsa for an appetizer. The cook (me) is feeling a lot better and a lot more like cooking, and everyone benefits from that.

Yesterday was fun and different. Oh yeah, we rocked and rolled in the swells but nothing like the last run. The sun was out much of the day as the clouds burned off and it made for a more pleasant day. We were cruising along about noonish with me at the helm when Doug and I heard a strange sound. We couldn’t figure out what it was until a USCG chopper went by us on a parallel course about a hundred yards off our port side and about 200’ high. I was tempted to call him on CH 16 and see if he’d swing around to give us a Kodak Moment but resisted the urge.

I was napping on the salon couch when the whales made their appearance so I missed that one. Darn, I hate it when that happens. We’ve established a pattern of sharing the helm duties and when we’re not on the helm one of us is usually standing watch nearby and the other is on the internet or napping. We only ran across a couple of crab pots yesterday but that’s snaps us to attention because where there’s one there’s usually a second one and third, etc. We spent most of the day in water too deep for pots so that was a good thing. The depth finder reads down to 500’ and it was not reading for a couple of hours yesterday. The charts showed we were in 200 fathoms (600’) for awhile so that’s what happened.

One of the things I’ve been impressed with is the immensity of this ocean, and yet how close we can be to other boats at some times. The AIS is a great tool because it identifies who is around you and can let you know if there’s any chance of a collision. I was watching one such track yesterday long before we could identify the target. It was almost on a head-on course with us and I suggested to Doug (he was at the helm) that we might want to change course to stbd a bit to give a little more room between us as we drew near each other. He didn’t and we passed by about 100 yards or less from this vessel….

It’s amazing that 11 miles offshore we’d pass so close to another boat…and a big one at that.
Here’s a shot of the AIS screen that we watch all day. There are three screens to keep an eye on…AIS, radar and the GPS/Plotter. It doesn’t take but a second go give all three a quick scan and it’s a comforting feeling to know they’re there.

Here’s a shot of what it looked like yesterday with the sun shining so nice. That sure does warm up the day a lot.

As we were coming into Coos Bay and crossing the bar I got this shot of the north breakwater. Those things sure do keep the waves down when it’s blowing and they’re nice to have when entering a bar. Knock on wood, but so far our bar crossings have been non-events. As you can see we’ve lost the sunshine and this morning it’s still heavily overcast.

Here are three shots of what the south side of the channel across the bar looks like at Coos Bay. Interesting rock formations here and very pretty to look at. They would be fun to explore in a dinghy.

So here we sit waiting for the fuel dock to open. Our destination today is Eureka, CA, a jaunt of about 162 miles. That’s a bit shorter than we did yesterday and that puts us close to the first of two notorious rough spots…Cape Blonco. The second, at Cape Mendocino will be in Friday’s run, then we’ll be in San Francisco….and near home.

Feelin' Better GFC

#546866 - 06/20/13 10:18 AM Re: Journey of a Lifetime [Re: GoFirstClass]  
KD4PBS Offline
Admiral
KD4PBS  Offline
Admiral

Very riveting! Thanks for the narrative, videos, and pictures. This is indeed something to talk about the rest of your life, and I know y'all are having a ball!

#546886 - 06/20/13 10:35 PM Re: Journey of a Lifetime [Re: GoFirstClass]  
Retired Boating Bum
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
Day 6

We just arrived in our first California marina, here at Eureka. What a beautiful day it was for being out on the ocean. The temps were probably in the high 60’s to 70’s, there were almost no winds, the clouds burned off by around 10:30 and it turned out to be a great day.

We left Coos Bay around 0715 after taking on a full load of fuel and it was about 7:00 p.m. when we got here, covering about 170 miles in that 12 hour period. I don’t think it could have been a better day. We saw a couple of whales, had some dolphins playing around the boat this morning an got to dodge some crab pots here and there during the day.

We cruised around 14-15kts and this afternoon we had a following sea pushing us along at times at speeds up to 16+ knots. I don’t have any pics of the whales; sorry but they were there then gone too quickly. I do have some photos and videos of what was just a beautiful day on the water. I’m going to make this short so I can add some comments to the forum comments and questions.
This is what it looked like all day long. What a great day on the ocean.

Some clouds over the CA coast.

USCG Station Eureka, CA

Following Seas at the dock in Eureka

I'm loading some videos to Youtube and will post them when they're loaded.

#546888 - 06/20/13 11:22 PM Re: Journey of a Lifetime [Re: GoFirstClass]  
Silverbullet Offline
Admiral
Silverbullet  Offline
Admiral

Boise, ID
Originally Posted By: GoFirstClass

Following Seas at the dock in Eureka

Pretty dark there in Eureka.

James
2002 Cobalt 226 VP 8.1GIDP
2007 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax
1988 Suburban 3/4 Ton
2000 Subaru Forester

#546889 - 06/20/13 11:55 PM Re: Journey of a Lifetime [Re: GoFirstClass]  
Retired Boating Bum
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA

#546890 - 06/21/13 12:25 AM Re: Journey of a Lifetime [Re: GoFirstClass]  
Titanium Offline
Admiral
Titanium  Offline
Admiral

Northern California
GFC,
I haven't posted much yet about your trip, but I find myself looking at your AIS position several times throughout the day. Speaking of which, your AIS signal was no where to be found since this afternoon?

Where will you guys be stopping tomorrow? Bodega Bay is around 180 miles away as the crow flies. Although not as far inland as Portland or the Tri-Cities, Stockton is a heckuva long way from the Golden Gate.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

07 Cobalt 240 w/ Merc 496 Mag MPI V8 Bravo 3
05 Dodge Ram 1500 QuadCab 5.7L V8 Hemi
07 SeaDoo Wake 215, 1996 SeaDoo GTX, 05 HD Dyna SuperGlide
#546893 - 06/21/13 07:55 AM Re: Journey of a Lifetime [Re: GoFirstClass]  
FreshWaterLover Offline
Admiral
FreshWaterLover  Offline
Admiral

Burbank, IL
Beautiful pictures. I am really enjoying vicariously taking this trip with you.

Isn't land on the wrong side in this one? Is that the back of the cabin on the left, it kind of looked like the front from the slant of the rail outside the window, and the slant of the roof toward the side of the picture. Or is that an island or something in the background?

You guys seem to be making great time in spite of some rough weather and a one-day layover.

Last edited by FreshWaterLover; 06/21/13 07:57 AM.

Tami

2013 Ocean Kayak Torque
2013 Bass Tracker Pro Team 175 TF

"The more you learn, the more you have a framework that the knowledge fits into" - Bill Gates
#546895 - 06/21/13 09:47 AM Re: Journey of a Lifetime [Re: Titanium]  
jtheile Offline
Admiral
jtheile  Offline
Admiral

North Ridgeville, Ohio
Originally Posted By: Titanium
GFC,
I haven't posted much yet about your trip, but I find myself looking at your AIS position several times throughout the day. Speaking of which, your AIS signal was no where to be found since this afternoon?

There needs to be an AIS receiver connected to the internet in the area for it to be displayed.

If you click on the Cover my area tab on the marine traffic website it will explain how you can provide coverage for your area if you choose.

Joe
Four Winns 225 Sundowner
#546896 - 06/21/13 10:18 AM Re: Journey of a Lifetime [Re: GoFirstClass]  
Retired Boating Bum
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
Good Morning. We're going to sit it out today in Eureka. It's as calm as can be right now but winds are forecasted to be in the 30-35 range with 8' seas on 8 seconds. That probably would mean an 8' sea + a 2'-3' wind wave which would result in 11' seas on 8 seconds.

I've learned on this trip that the longer the period between swells and the shorter the waves, the more manageable they are. When they hit the magic number where the swell height + the wind wave height are approaching the time period between swells, that is not a good time to be out there. An example of that would be a 5'-8' swell with a 2' wind wave on 10 seconds.

That's about what we were in on the way to Ilwaco and you've seen what that looks like. It's not so much the swell height that's the problem. We were in some 8' swells yesterday, but the time between swells was very long so they weren't any problem. The boat just rides up and over them.

As some of you may have noticed, I'm not posting during the day while we're moving. I have a vertigo problem that prevents me from doing that but if I maintain my eyes on the horizon I'm fine. It's when I start looking down at instruments or trying to read or type that it kicks in and it ain't fun. That's why you'll usually only see my pics and videos posted after we're at the dock.

Thus far, this trip has been a good education for me and it's getting me better prepared for when GW and I take our boat around the coast and spend a summer in Canadian waters. I'm grateful for the opportunity to get this first hand knowledge before we strike out on our own.

This boat is very well equipped and quite comfortable for cruising. It's about the same length as mine but 1.5' wider and has a different roll rate than mine. That took a bit of adjustment when we first started but after a day or so I've gotten used to the roll rate of Following Seas.

It's amazing to me how those diesels just keep on ticking. When I was buying my boat I talked with a Cat dealer about my 3406C's and he said they were designed to run at or near WOT 24/7. We've been running 12+ hours and day and the hum from the diesels is almost putting us to sleep, especially on a day like yesterday.

Walking around on the boat is a bit challenging even with calm seas. Every step you take when you're running on the ocean requires having a hand on something....cupboards, stair rails, etc. Even a simple thing like coming down from the helm to the galley to get something requires holding on. I know that before I take our boat around the coast I'm going to be putting some additional grab rails on the interior.

I'll take a few minutes and reply to some of the comments and questions that you've posted....
Originally Posted By: JackT/
.. keep waiting for the stuff on the computer table to roll off onto the floor, and my chair keeps rocking. Thanks for the videos. Makes you appreciate Mother Nature and the ancient sailors.

Jack, your comment has gotten a lot of chuckles from the crew because you accurately described what it's like being on here. All the drawer locks have been engaged while we're running, nothing sits on a table top or counter top and cameras and binoculars that we want to have handy are usually sitting on the seat behind the helm.

Originally Posted By: Trooplewis
Fantastic. I'm so jealous!

Bill, I was thinking about you the other day, thinking about how much you'd enjoy being out here with us.

Originally Posted By: ISUforNU
Just curious about the long gap of positioning of your vessel on marine traffic website today? Out of range?Not transmitting? Not receiving?

Probably some of all of the above. The AIS on board is a Class B. That means it transmits a signal but often when we're a long distance from a receiver it needs another boat nearby that's equipped with a Class A receiver to repeat the signal for more strength.

Originally Posted By: Titanium
Where will you guys be stopping tomorrow? Bodega Bay is around 180 miles away as the crow flies.

We're holed up in Eureka but may try a run tomorrow afternoon if the weather lightens up a bit. Bodega Bay is almost 200 miles so we may try to make it into Ft.Bragg. From there we'd try for SF Bay on Sunday, a run of about 150 miles to the Golden Gate Bridge.

Originally Posted By: FWL
Isn't land on the wrong side in this one?

Tami, that's not land out there, it's just a cloud bank lying offshore several miles further out from where we were cruising. We've done most of our cruising about 10-12 miles offshore. We wanted to be far enough offshore to miss the crab pots but we've still encountered some out there. I almost ran into one yesterday when we were in 500+' of water. Crazy!!!

Well that's enough of my garbage for now. Doug and I are going to walk to Costco today to do some grazing on the samples and pick up more coffee, and that's about as far ahead as we've planned.

Thanks for the comments and questions. It's fun 'talking' with each of you on here.

Well rested GFC

#546902 - 06/21/13 08:57 PM Re: Journey of a Lifetime [Re: GoFirstClass]  
kjsAZ Offline
Admiral
kjsAZ  Offline
Admiral

Postau, BY, Germany
Mike,
I envy you, Doug and Stuart for this trip but mostly Stuart for having such a great boat. Seems like it just runs and runs. I love the sound of these Diesels in the videos. Reminds me of my time boating in the Mediterranean Sea.

Jürgen
DB3TB
boatless

My boating related "library": Jürgen's boating library
#546907 - 06/21/13 10:47 PM Re: Journey of a Lifetime [Re: GoFirstClass]  
Retired Boating Bum
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
We're going to spend another night here in Eureka, but that's OK because it's REALLY nasty out on the water. The plan at this time is to pull out of here around 0530 Sunday morning and make a run down the coast. That certainly is subject to change as weather conditions change. We need to cross back over the bar as we go out of here so we'll have to be aware of that in addition to the weather out there.

Doug and I walked about 3/4 mile to Costco this afternoon. I picked up a 1.75L jug of Cuervo and some coffee so we wouldn't run out on the rest of the trip. Cuervo is $20 here and ~$52 at home. I wish I could have carried back a dozen or so bottles. We got back to the boat and I took a little snooze while Doug walked downtown. He called me about 4:30 and told me about this neat brew pub he found (we'd heard about it earlier) so I hiked up there and joined him for dinner. Good fish & chips, great oysters and good beer. Life is good.

No pictures today and no videos. Probably none tomorrow but I'll sign back in and respond to any comments.

kjs, those diesels have just been purring. Almost to the point yesterday of putting us to sleep....diesels purring, calm waters, blue skies, no winds....Life is good!!

Smiling GFC (loved those oysters!)

#546908 - 06/21/13 11:55 PM Re: Journey of a Lifetime [Re: GoFirstClass]  
Silverbullet Offline
Admiral
Silverbullet  Offline
Admiral

Boise, ID
Ooooh. Bodega Bay. One of my old haunts, well kind of. Worked on a salmon boat out of Bodega Bay and the son of the capt of my boat works at spud point marina now.

This boat would probably be a really good one to sit on SF Bay during fleetweek and watch the Blue Angels perform just off the water.

Seagoing is a lot different than anything else. When running in open water everything is always moving and the hand holding on to something is right on, lest you want to fall over or lose a steak overboard. When I worked on the boat we didn't get GFC kind of food. It was mostly cold canned food or canned food/soup heated up on an old stove.

But alas, it was a fun part of my life and shaped my love of the water.

James
2002 Cobalt 226 VP 8.1GIDP
2007 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax
1988 Suburban 3/4 Ton
2000 Subaru Forester

#546909 - 06/22/13 01:38 AM Re: Journey of a Lifetime [Re: GoFirstClass]  
NoMoBoatN Offline
Admiral
NoMoBoatN  Offline
Admiral

Riverside, So Cal
Great day yesterday GFC.. nice flat seas and no wind chop. The purr of those diesels sound so nice. Great videos too. Thanks.

Gotta get your sea legs workin, man! keep the legs slightly bent, keep your hips horizontal, and work the knees! If she rises on the portside, you stiffen your right leg a tad and bring the left leg up. Try sailing... you'll learn! smile

Safe journeys on the rest of the trip, love the commentary, videos, and pics. Wish I was there!

05 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 'Limited Edition'

#546910 - 06/22/13 10:04 AM Re: Journey of a Lifetime [Re: GoFirstClass]  
Retired Boating Bum
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
Originally Posted By: nu2Boatn
Gotta get your sea legs workin, man! keep the legs slightly bent, keep your hips horizontal, and work the knees! If she rises on the portside, you stiffen your right leg a tad and bring the left leg up. Try sailing... you'll learn!

Nu, that works for most days on the water but the day we ran into those heavy seas it just was not enough. Stuart was on the helm chair and the rocking and rolling tipped him and the chair over, right off its base.

We had to adjust our speed a couple of times to try to find a speed that worked in that crap. We finally found a speed that lessened the pounding so we stuck with that.

All of us agreed that was not a fun day on the water.

#546926 - 06/22/13 06:45 PM Re: Journey of a Lifetime [Re: GoFirstClass]  
Retired Boating Bum
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
Well the 3 Musketeers are having a relaxing day, but it's been frustrating because we want to get underway and can't because of the winds south of here. It looks at this time like we may try to sneak across the bar early tomorrow a.m. and head out and play it by ear to see how far we can make it before we decide to pull in somewhere.

In the meanwhile, much of what we've done today could be considered twiddling our thumbs. The three of us walked up to Englund Marine and poked around in there for awhile. It's interesting to see the difference between a marine store in a fishing town and a marine store in a downtown area. Much more "big boat" stuff here....chain big enough to tow a building with, ball fenders I couldn't fit on my boat, harpoons, gaff hooks with a 5'-6' handle on them, etc.

After that we came back and Stuart changed the fuel filters on the Mans and I gave him a hand.

Check out these bad boys and how clean the engine room is.....

I did take one short video to show you what this area of the harbor looks like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cspJz_WvoQE

So that's about all we've done today. We're going to hike back up to the Lost Coast Brew Pub again for dinner.

Bored GFC

#546928 - 06/22/13 07:34 PM Re: Journey of a Lifetime [Re: GoFirstClass]  
ISUforNU Offline
Captain
ISUforNU  Offline
Captain

Bennington, NE
GFC:

After changing those filters what was required to prime those bad boys?

2011 - Cobalt 232 - 350 Mag MPI ECT B3
2003 - Sea-Doo RX-DI (2 ea)
#546929 - 06/22/13 08:24 PM Re: Journey of a Lifetime [Re: GoFirstClass]  
kjsAZ Offline
Admiral
kjsAZ  Offline
Admiral

Postau, BY, Germany
Mike, are these MAN's started with an electric starter or pressured air? Looks like the motors they use in generators.

Jürgen
DB3TB
boatless

My boating related "library": Jürgen's boating library
#546930 - 06/22/13 09:16 PM Re: Journey of a Lifetime [Re: GoFirstClass]  
Retired Boating Bum
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
kjs, we have to eat about 4 pounds of kidney beans the night before then hold compressed air until just the right moment, then they start on cue.

Just kidding, they have electric starters.

We just got back from dinner at Gallagher's Irish Pub where I had the best fish & chips I've had in quite awhile. Good place to go if you're ever in Eureka.

Yesterday I had an opportunity to use something I'd read about but never used....fender boards. We had gone to the fuel dock to top off tanks but when we got there they didn't have the typical dock recreational boaters are used to, it was just pilings. The pilings were about 2' diameter and some were broken off just above the water line. There's no way we were going to take this beautiful boat up against wooden pilings so we went back to our original side-tie at the marina to see if they had any fender boards.

They did so we borrowed them and they worked just fine. For those of you who haven't used them before, they can be as simple as a 2x4 about 8' long with some holes drilled through near each end and some lines to tie them to the fenders. We got them rigged as we were heading back to the fuel dock and they worked just fine. Obviously they spread the load of being up against the piling between two fenders.

We had to position the boat so the fender boards were next to one of the pilings but that proved to be easy enough to do. Then we just had to adjust the height of the fender boards on the fenders but that also was a no brainer.

Here's what they look like....

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Admin 

Sponsors
New Topics
Ford to drop all cars but 2
by captkevin. 04/26/18 12:10 PM
New US Navy Patrol Boats in 2018
by Jack T. 04/24/18 01:18 PM
Battery Charger Died/What to buy
by Boatbottom. 04/21/18 08:55 AM
CHAPARRAL
by canuckchick71. 04/16/18 12:28 PM
Spring 2018 - NOT!
by Boatbottom. 04/16/18 11:45 AM
A much better trip this time.
by GoFirstClass. 04/14/18 10:52 PM
Need a few more prayers.
by Silverbullet. 04/07/18 08:41 PM
Florida Keys next Winter
by Dave R. 04/07/18 08:30 AM
2018 USASA Nationals
by Ladybugskater. 04/02/18 11:18 AM
Fastest 24' Bowrider--And Other Configs
by Jack T. 03/24/18 04:22 PM
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 67 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
canuckchick71, Captjim, DaveyJisOK, TeapotJane, firstboat
5439 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23
Topics37,124
Posts562,073
Members5,439
Most Online252
Aug 5th, 2017