Your On-Line Port'o'Call

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#518427 - 08/03/11 06:06 PM Chesapeake Bay Trawler Charter
Waywego Offline
Admiral

Loc: Oakton, VA
We had been planning this trip for a long time, and were excited to finally be on our way!

The basic plan was to charter a trawler for five days, with a day or so of training and then head off for a mini-vacation on a type of boat we are considering owning sometime down the road, possibly after the kids move away and we retire.

Based on recommendations and some research, we decided to work with Blue Goose Charters. The charter experience was all we hoped for and the training challenging and rewarding.

We had been hoping to charter a 35' single screw sundeck trawler, but it was not available when we were. We ended up with a 36' twin screw sundeck trawler, and I am glad we did. I had never handled a twin screw boat, and found the experience both enlightening and lots of fun due to the excellent close quarters handling.

Our training included not only docking the boat, but also training on the boat systems and procedures. Having conducted a fair amount of training for my job, I was pleased to have a real pro teach us the basics. "Mother Goose" is the owner of the trawlers, and it is easy to see how he earned his nickname. wink

After a day plus a couple of hours of training, we were approved to venture off on our own!

Edited by Waywego (08/03/11 08:27 PM)
Edit Reason: wordsmithing

1993 Chaparral 2500 SX, 7.4L Bravo 1

#518428 - 08/03/11 06:14 PM Re: Chesapeake Bay Trawler Charter [Re: Waywego]
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Loc: Pasco, WA
Waywego, congratulations on taking this kind of vacation. You will never regret being "stuck with" the twin screw trawler. The only downside to it is, once you've seen how easy maneuvering it is, you'll never want to go back to a single screw boat.

I'm looking forward to seeing lots of pics of the boat, your family aboard, and the scenery of Chesepeake Bay!

Anchor's down......Bottoms Up!

#518429 - 08/03/11 06:23 PM Re: Chesapeake Bay Trawler Charter [Re: Waywego]
Waywego Offline
Admiral

Sometimes, pictures tell the story better than words!

Leaving Baltimore Harbor behind us:

Heading East across the Bay in the Brewerton Channel:

A common sight during the trip:

We spent the first night at Rock Hall Landing Marina:

After a great seafood dinner at Waterman's Crab House, we called it a night. My older daughter thought that the diesel fumes were too strong for her in the forward berth and slept on the salon floor instead:

Edited by Waywego (08/03/11 08:28 PM)
Edit Reason: Added picture

#518432 - 08/03/11 06:42 PM Re: Chesapeake Bay Trawler Charter [Re: Waywego]
Waywego Offline
Admiral

Our plan for the rest of the trip was to find quiet and scenic anchorages and hang out on the hook. The weather forecast was not looking good for the day before the end of our charter, and with a 7 knot cruising speed, we evaluated a few different scenarios. We finally decided to stay on our itinerary for the next day and then re-evaluate.

Our plan was to cruise up the Chester river and then into the Corsica river where we would anchor for the night.

Heading up the river, we saw a Grand Banks 42, a couple of Kadey Krogens, and a bunch of local fishing boats:

Once we got into the Corsica River, we prowled around until we found an anchorage that suited us. We set the anchor and broke out our dinner:

While we were eating, a sailboat joined us in the anchorage:

During dinner, some nasty storms blew by north of us, but we had fine weather for our meal. When we checked the weather report, our fears of a stormy day following were confirmed, with the possibility of severe thunderstorms in the afternoon. We decided to bail on our plans for crossing the Bay in the morning and anchoring in the Magothy River, mostly because I did not know that area very well and did not want to risk anchoring in high winds with ground tackle that I was not any more familiar with than the anchorage. Instead, we decided to head back to Rock Hall Landing where we could tie up to a dock and insure the safety of the boat. We turned in early so that we could get an early start and miss the forecasted afternoon storms.

Edited by Waywego (08/04/11 01:39 PM)

#518433 - 08/03/11 07:00 PM Re: Chesapeake Bay Trawler Charter [Re: Waywego]
Waywego Offline
Admiral

Our plan for an early start worked well, and we ended up ahead of schedule and needing to kill some time before checking into the marina. Our course passed by the Kent Narrows, so we decided to head in, mostly for the challange. At the time we were entering the Narrows, there was a 4.5 knot current exiting the Narrows, and the channel is very narrow with a right angle turn part way in. I was surprised to see a trawler exiting the Narrows and drift outside the channel by about a boat length, but when I got to the corner, I saw why. The current was coming directly out the channel to the turn, where you began moving across the current. With boats coming towards you, there was not enough room for the boats to pass while crabbing down the way! All in all, a great learning experience:

I was quite busy piloting the boat, but the rest of the family enjoyed this osprey nest with young birds in it:

We then headed back up the Bay to Rock Hall Harbor and the marina. On the way, we passed a wreck that must have been good fishing:

Not long after we tied up, a violent storm blew in across the Bay:

A few minutes after I took the picture, heavy rain and winds arrived. Not only could you not see the other side of the harbor, but even the close by markers were invisible. After seeing sustained winds over 35 mph and gusts that I estimated around 45 mph, we were VERY happy to have opted for the safety of a dock in the harbor!

With the stormy weather, we decided on another dinner at Waterman's, which is right at the marina. In the foreground of this picture is an Albin 28, a common sight on the Bay, and in the background on the right is Waterman's Crab House:

Edited by Waywego (08/03/11 08:32 PM)

#518436 - 08/03/11 07:18 PM Re: Chesapeake Bay Trawler Charter [Re: Waywego]
On Holiday Offline
Captain
Admiral

Loc: Pennsylvania
I think you just got spoiled. Thanks for sharing your trip with us.

#518438 - 08/03/11 07:22 PM Re: Chesapeake Bay Trawler Charter [Re: Waywego]
Waywego Offline
Admiral

The following morning was the last of our trip, and brought on a beautiful day for our return across the Bay into Baltimore Harbor:

During breakfast, our younger daughter cleaned the galley and organized the recycling (she is quite environmentally conscious!):

Leaving Rock Hall Harbor:

Our older daughter took a safe boating class a couple of years ago, so we let her steer the boat under my wife's supervision:

Our younger daughter helped with navigation and used the binoculars whenever we did not need them:

Heading back up to cross the Bay, we saw the Noble Ace, a RoRo exiting the Brewerton Channel heading for the C & D Canal:

A little later in the Brewerton Channel, we were overtaken by the Old School:

Our wake should give you an idea of our cruising speed:

Edited by Waywego (08/03/11 08:22 PM)

#518441 - 08/03/11 07:26 PM Re: Chesapeake Bay Trawler Charter [Re: Waywego]
casualboater Offline
Admiral

Loc: Highland, Michigan
My retirement dream is a trawler, and we're also planning a charter in advance to get better aquainted. Thanks for the sneak preview!

#518444 - 08/03/11 08:01 PM Re: Chesapeake Bay Trawler Charter [Re: Waywego]
Waywego Offline
Admiral

One of the things I really like about living on the East Coast is all the historic areas that you can learn about. Near Baltimore at the mouth of the Patapsco, the Craighill Channel cuts off a corner, saving a few miles for commercial traffic. To help navigate this channel, there are range lights, one of which is quite historic. The Craighill LIght (technically the Craighill Channel Lower Front Range Lighthouse) was the second caison light built in the USA and completed in 1873:

As you enter the Patapsco River, to the right of the channel you see Fort Carroll:

Fort Carroll was named for Charles Carroll, the last surviving signer of the Declaration of Independence and the early construction was supervised by Robert E. Lee. For more info, there is an interesting article in Lighthouse Digest and the journal of a kayak visit at My Life in Ruins - A Visit to Fort Carroll, Maryland

Soon after passing Fort Carrol, you pass under Francis Scott Key Bridge, named after the author of the Star Spangled Banner:

Just after the bridge, the Lazaretto Point Lighthouse is on the right. This lighthouse is interesting to me because it is a replica of the original light that was torn down in 1926 and the current lighthouse has never been an aid to navigation other than a landmark:

Across the river is Fort McHenry, the site that inspired the Star Spangled Banner:

Except for the one tower on the skyline, this could almost be how it looked in the late 1700's:

#518445 - 08/03/11 08:13 PM Re: Chesapeake Bay Trawler Charter [Re: Waywego]
Waywego Offline
Admiral

Here are a few interesting pictures in and around Baltimore Harbor. This guy either knows the area better than I do, or is a big risk taker:

Baltimore Harbor is a busy port with a variety of traffic, ranging from large ships like this RoRo, to sailboats and rowboats:

It is obviously an industrial area. I never cease to be amazed at how many containers can be loaded on a ship:

The Cape Romain is a large tug who's picture is on the Wikipedia page for tugboats. Check out that bow wave!

Edited by Waywego (08/03/11 08:36 PM)
Edit Reason: wordsmithing

#518446 - 08/03/11 08:15 PM Re: Chesapeake Bay Trawler Charter [Re: Waywego]
Waywego Offline
Admiral

We had a great time on this trip and won't forget that "Mother Goose" and Blue Goose Charters had a big part in making it so. Here is the motley crew with "Mother Goose" at the end of the last day:

#518448 - 08/03/11 08:25 PM Re: Chesapeake Bay Trawler Charter [Re: Waywego]
Waywego Offline
Admiral

For those of you who have been following along as I posted, I have gone back and added a few more pictures...

#518451 - 08/03/11 08:53 PM Re: Chesapeake Bay Trawler Charter [Re: Waywego]
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Loc: Pasco, WA
What a great looking vacation. I'm so jealous of you guys who have many destinations to pick from and so many historic areas.

So, what were your thoughts on the trawler? What did you really like about it, and what would you change if you were designing one to purchase?

Also, what did you think if the twin screws when it came to docking/maneuvering?

Anchor's down......Bottoms Up!

#518456 - 08/03/11 10:08 PM Re: Chesapeake Bay Trawler Charter [Re: GoFirstClass]
trooplewis Offline
Admiral

Loc: San Diego
That is very cool. Piloting a trawler with the family aboard is (IMO) the best part!

http://dreammustang.com/

#518465 - 08/04/11 07:21 AM Re: Chesapeake Bay Trawler Charter [Re: trooplewis]
Wet Doggg Offline
Admiral

Loc: Rockford, Michigan
Very nice...glad you had a good time. Fun experiencing new boating adventures and going out of our comfort zone.

Let me know next time you are heading to Canadian Lakes.

Sea Ray 320 Sundancer

#518466 - 08/04/11 08:25 AM Re: Chesapeake Bay Trawler Charter [Re: Wet Doggg]
BToran Offline
Admiral

Loc: Northport, New York
greats pics and story. i'm interested in your experieince with the trawler as i've often thought about a trawler but think the speeds are a tad slow for my liking.

my wife doesn't like being on plane, even though our cruise speed is a relatively slow 18 mph. i can't stand putting around at 8 mph, though. i've been looking into power catamarans for a while because they do the "in-between" speed (12-16 mph) and they do it quietly and efficiently with small engines and an obviously different hull design. people with 35-40 ft power cats are reporting burn rates of 8 gals per hour at these cruise speeds. while that isn't anywhere near the economy of a true trawler, it's a fair compromise for that speed. the cats could be run at trawler speed and would get the equivalent of trawler economy. if i tried running my boat at 12 mph, i'd be dragging though the water and burning probably 35 gals per hour.

i'm sure the twin screws made it easy to handle around the docks. what was the make/model of the boat and was it a true trawler (ie max speed = hull speed unless you applied an aircraft engine to the thing)? what speed were you usually traveling at and how did you like that compared to being up on plane? was there significant rolling of the boat?

sorry for the highjack. if you'd prefer to answer in a pm, that would be great too.
"Don't Eat Anything Bigger Than Your Head"

#518473 - 08/04/11 09:50 AM Re: Chesapeake Bay Trawler Charter [Re: BToran]
captkevin Offline
Admiral

Loc: Chicago, IL
Congrats on the awesome trip. Looks like a great trip. Beautiful pictures.

#518492 - 08/04/11 07:37 PM Re: Chesapeake Bay Trawler Charter [Re: GoFirstClass]
Waywego Offline
Admiral

Originally Posted By: GoFirstClass
So, what were your thoughts on the trawler? What did you really like about it, and what would you change if you were designing one to purchase?

This was the first time that we have spent any significant time on a trawler, either as passangers or crew. We were lucky and did not encounter any rough water to speak of, so I cannot really comment on the sea keeping ability of the trawler. The only time she was a handful was in following seas, something we do not often encounter with Waywego.

As for accomodations, I was greatly impressed with how much living room there was in a 36' boat. Not only were there two double berths, but also the salon, fully covered cockpit and flybridge with bimini. With only four of us on board, there was no problem finding a quiet place to read or relax. Even during storms we found plenty of room to hang out in.

About the only thing I did not like was that I kept hitting my head on the stairs going up from the salon to the sundeck (cockpit). You would think that a few painful reminders would cure me of this, but I was still doing it after a few days. I am sure I would have finally gotten the idea, but it was getting a bit much!

Originally Posted By: GoFirstClass
Also, what did you think if the twin screws when it came to docking/maneuvering?

What a difference from a single prop sterndrive! I found that I had just about absolute control of both the position and orientation of the boat. My biggest challange was remembering that I also had to take into account current and wind. With our boat, I have that pretty much in the bag, but with the precise control that twin screws afforded me, I seemed to forget taking into account mother nature. I am sure that "Mother Goose" would remind me that I forgot to cut the throttles back to idle a few times when shifting, but he cured me of that mistake before we left on our own. thumb

#518493 - 08/04/11 07:40 PM Re: Chesapeake Bay Trawler Charter [Re: Wet Doggg]
Waywego Offline
Admiral

Originally Posted By: Wet Doggg
Let me know next time you are heading to Canadian Lakes.

WD, that will have to be next year. My family went to Michigan without me this year, because I could not take two week-long vacations in one month. They did get down to Rockford to visit the family gravesites, the Wolverine outlet and have lunch at Arnies.

Next year, I will be sure to go with them and will try to remember to PM you beforehand.

#518494 - 08/04/11 07:47 PM Re: Chesapeake Bay Trawler Charter [Re: Waywego]
Waywego Offline
Admiral

Bruce, it was quite different being on a displacement hull boat compared to a planing hull. The biggest thing I got from it was that we are not at a point in our lives when I think owning a trawler is a good idea. Our boating opportunities come in small time slices, which would limit us to a very small cruising area if we had a trawler that had to be slipped.

For now, I think we will be sticking with our current boat for at least another 5 years, and chartering when we have the opportunity to cruise for a longer period.

Once the girls are off on their own and we are retired, a trawler will most likely be my first choice.

The trawler we were on was a 1980's Nova Sundeck, and the only downside that I saw was the increased fuel consumption from having twin engines.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 
Sponsors
New Topics
Waverunner?
by No Agenda
Probably a Once In A Lifetime Sighting
by Jack T
07/22/14 10:55 PM
Bike Time 2014
by Capn Morgan
07/22/14 02:23 PM
tune up 1989 3.0
by bohen
07/21/14 12:57 PM
A fun day on the water.....
by GoFirstClass
07/20/14 03:21 PM
Parrott_head Family Reunion
by Parrott_head
07/20/14 11:11 AM
Book review: "Inferno, The Fiery Destruction of Hamburg '43"
by Parrott_head
07/20/14 10:50 AM
Sea Doo Recall- Spark
by Capn Morgan
07/17/14 03:53 PM
Small Jet Boat
by Wet Doggg
07/17/14 01:26 PM
Volkswagen interested in buying Fiat
by Dock Holiday
07/17/14 09:10 AM

Who's Online
0 registered (), 31 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Purpony, cobalt262, schenckopotamus, Ericgburns, Bobo87
5205 Registered Users
Forum Stats
5205 Members
23 Forums
36176 Topics
548106 Posts

Max Online: 188 @ 09/17/13 03:07 AM