Your On-Line Port'o'Call

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#467174 - 07/28/09 03:46 PM Should I have let them founder?  
deepv Offline
Safety Officer
deepv  Offline
Safety Officer
Admiral

SoCal
Sorry in advance for the long narrative with no pictures but there wasn't time for photography during this event.

Yesterday at Lake Silverwood we ran across three kids (late teens or early twenties) that were on two nice shiny newish SeaDoos that were not running and wouldn't start. The wind that blows across this small lake blows pretty much directly towards the dam and works that are surrounded by a cable bouy line. This wind had blown them into the cable bouy line.

We decided to stop and help them out. We put up the orange flag and my son dove in and swam over to them. He tried to start the water mosquito without success and then found out that these yo-yos needed to jump start them in order to launch and the batteries on both were most likely dead but they launched anyway.

So we decided to tow them back to the marina. I got out my nice yellow floating rope and tossed it to my son along with another short length of broken tow line. it is at this time that we discover that these people were pretty much worthless just bobbing in the water while my son ties off both of their units in tandom all the while I'm blowing into the bouy line and trying not to hit it or them and not pull the rope that is tied off to my ski hook away from my son. During this time my skier down flag blows out of the bimini and into the lake so another of my son's friends must jump in to retrieve that.

Then it comes time for them to get into the boat. My son and his friends that had also jumped in to help, SWAM FAST back to the boat and were in before it blew back into the bouy line after cutting the engine so they could climb in without making hamburger. The idiots were bearly even started swimming to me so I had to yell at them a couple of times to clear the stern so that I could start up and pull away from the bouy line.

While waiting for them to get out of the way of the boat I blow into the bouy line and have to deal with that as well as kissing a big mooring ball on the cable a few times with the bow and starboard side of my boat. So I get out aways again and then cut it to drift back and they bearly get in in time to pull away from the bouy line.

Now the rear PWC has blown over the bouy line so I just proceed to tug them both and fortunately I get the second one off the bouy line without having to have someone (my son, most likely) jump in to clear it and then re-board the boat.

Towing these beasts proved to be a very difficult task going headwind (my sail of a bimini surely didn't help) with these two pigs in tow and these three morons in the boat. I couldn't even get up on a plane (even with the lift of the bimini!) and towed them back about 2 miles to the marina at WOT (3,200rpm) and 7.5kts. It can often be windy with even small white caps in the marina at Silverwood so we get them about 50 yards out and one of my son's friends jumps in with a knife and cuts the first rope and I gather it in while he reboards.

We wish them good luck and good ridance as they jump off to push these beasts the last 50 yards to the ramp while we take off to go bbq some dogs on the hook in a cove because now it is too windy to wakeboard. Afterwards we blow up the tube and the kids had some fun getting rolled by me.

I didn't even get a "thank you"; nevermind some cash for the $15 or $20 of gas I probably burned and the hour plus of time spent rescuing them.

So, once finding that their battery was dead when they launched and after seeing that they couldn't do much of anything to help themselves out of a bad situation, should I have aborted the mission and left them for someone else to help out?

72% of fatal boat accidents are caused by
boaters that haven't taken a safe boating course.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
#467175 - 07/28/09 04:25 PM Re: Should I have let them founder? [Re: deepv]  
Philr Offline
Admiral
Philr  Offline
Admiral

Rock Island, IL
You could no more have done that than I, or anyone else here. Attaboys to ya, you did the "right thing" and you know it.

And yeah, I'd be miffed over no "thank you" either ... but ya do what ya gotta do.

You might have suggested that they not breed...

'08 Chaparral 246SSi VP5.7GXiDP

My wife says that I spend too much time talking to random people online. What do you guys think?
#467177 - 07/28/09 04:59 PM Re: Should I have let them founder? [Re: Philr]  
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
"Should I have let them founder?"

Nope. You did the right thing.

Some people are too stupid to realize they might be in a dangerous situation, then are too stupid to thank those who come to their rescue.

Ya done good deepv. Karma, whether it's good or bad, always comes back to you.

"Beachcomber" 1995 Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge

Anchor's down......Bottoms Up!
#467180 - 07/28/09 05:06 PM Re: Should I have let them founder? [Re: GoFirstClass]  
2Suns Offline
Admiral
2Suns  Offline
Admiral

Peoria,IL
I think you did the right thing.

SO where in all that did they get your "take a safe boating class" lecture? wink

By the time they had diminished from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect "Hungry.-Gary Larson
#467181 - 07/28/09 05:09 PM Re: Should I have let them founder? [Re: 2Suns]  
deepv Offline
Safety Officer
deepv  Offline
Safety Officer
Admiral

SoCal
Originally Posted By: 2Suns
I think you did the right thing.

SO where in all that did they get your "take a safe boating class" lecture? wink

ROFLAMAO.

I was so p-o'd that I didn't even want to have anything to do with them any more, it wasn't until later that I realized that I should have done that!

#467182 - 07/28/09 05:22 PM Re: Should I have let them founder? [Re: deepv]  
Ladybugskater Offline
Admiral
Ladybugskater  Offline
Admiral

Ogden, Utah
DeepV-
You may have inconvienced yourself a bit timewise and gaswise...however I'm sure that there was a lesson learned by your son and his friends.
You did the right thing, I would have felt the same way I'm sure, however, I still would have helped them out.
Remember what goes "around comes around." They will get theirs and you will reap your reward. laugh

LBS

Proud Snowboard Mom of LLBS
scrapbookingfun4u.myctmh.com
#467187 - 07/28/09 06:30 PM Re: Should I have let them founder? [Re: Ladybugskater]  
captkevin Offline
Admiral
captkevin  Offline
Admiral

Chicago, IL
Got to love incompetant boaters.

Last year in Bull Shoals we were heading back to the marina. Just 1/2 mile outside the marina we encounter a pontoon boat having problems & stop to help out. Easy problem they ran out of gas - no biggie we will tow them in to the marina. Problem - they have no money & want us to tow them to where they launched - about 3 miles the other way. Being good samaritans we took them back to the launch - a long hot slow ride. At least they thanked us.

2004 Rinker 232
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Laramie 4x4
#467207 - 07/28/09 10:44 PM Re: Should I have let them founder? [Re: captkevin]  
SNUPY Offline
Admiral
SNUPY  Offline
Admiral

Northern Ca
deepv

I am a firm believer in what goes around comes around.

About 3 weeks ago my wife & i just sat down for a bite to eat at the LightHouse. When a guy came running up the dock, and asked if there was any place to get gas. The only place was B & W which is self serve after 1700 plus he needed a gas can!! He then explained that they had spent the day on a small island across from Korths & that his 2 teenagers & brother were waiting for him to come back.

With no place to get a gas can with out having to go into Rio Vista, a 30 to 45 min round trip. I left the wife & dogs on the patio. Went pulled the boat out of the slip @ Korths, over to the island, loaded the kids & all the gear they had for the day. Took them to B & W where they had launched. I brought the boat back to the LightHouse, docked and finished dinner. He thanked me over & over...order the biggest steak they have, but I had already ordered before the ride. I finished dinner & we were pulling away from the dock. This time he came running down the dock with a wad of money in his hand. I told him that's OK i might need a favor some day.

Guess What?? That day was this past Sunday when I got hung up on a sandbar going into Perrys. There were two couples in a ski boat & the 2 guys came over pushed us off & they too wouldn't take anything.

Pay it forward

George
2008 Reinell 220 LSE
Slow like a Pro... Not fast like an A$$

#467210 - 07/28/09 11:37 PM Re: Should I have let them founder? [Re: SNUPY]  
Titanium Offline
Admiral
Titanium  Offline
Admiral

Northern California
deepv - I know the people you rescued were asinine and inconsiderate, but you know you did good. d

SNUPY - Good job on the rescue!!

It's funny. If I help someone in this way, I'm offended if they don't offer money, but if they do offer money I will just tell them - like you guys - to pay it forward. I'm not sure I believe in karma, but at least my boys will see me doing the right thing, and maybe - just maybe - they'll also do the right thing someday when they grow up.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

07 Cobalt 240 w/ Merc 496 Mag MPI V8 Bravo 3
05 Dodge Ram 1500 QuadCab 5.7L V8 Hemi
07 SeaDoo Wake 215, 1996 SeaDoo GTX, 05 HD Dyna SuperGlide
#467214 - 07/29/09 12:43 AM Re: Should I have let them founder? [Re: Titanium]  
deepv Offline
Safety Officer
deepv  Offline
Safety Officer
Admiral

SoCal
Yeah I wouldn't have taken the cash either, but I would have appreciated the opportunity to refuse it or at least a thank you.

#467216 - 07/29/09 12:54 AM Re: Should I have let them founder? [Re: deepv]  
Al Offline
Nautical Alchemist
Al  Offline
Nautical Alchemist
Grand Poobah

Vagabond Wanderer from Mich.
I believe the law - either customary or actually legal - is that you are supposed to come to the assistance of another boater that is in peril - up to the extent that it doesn't put your boat into peril.

Regardless of what the legal issues are, you did the right thing.

It is hard to tell from your account, but you could have probably made the case about putting your boat into peril by rescuing them. In this instance, simply calling for assistance might have been sufficient.

I also believe that we should to look out for fellow "boaters" (and I use that term loosely), then especially since you put your own boat and passengers at potential risk; I would have no problem in tongue-lashing; er, explaining to them the stupidity of their actions on the way back.

I heard of an account of something similar that happened out on Lake Michigan a few years ago. A boater found two jet-skiiers about 4 miles out that had run out of gas. But the difference is the occupants stayed on their jet skis while he towed them in.

He proceeded to admonish them on how stupid they were, when they got a case of arrogance and started yelling and cursing back at him. So he simply let go of the tow rope and left them.

He finally went back and picked them up, and they kept their mouths shut after that.

President and CEO - Napmoor and Doolittle.

2004 Mercury 270 Dinghy.
2016 Grand Design Reflection 29RS 5th Wheel
2016 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT 6.6L Diesel

previous boats:
1995 Carver 325
1999 Four Winns 268
1999 Four Winns 225
1996 Rinker 180
#467219 - 07/29/09 07:13 AM Re: Should I have let them founder? [Re: Al]  
On Holiday Offline
Daddy
On Holiday  Offline
Daddy
Admiral

PA and Smith Mountain Lake
I don't know exactly how bad the conditions were but if the orange flaggy thing flys into the water, let it float away. Any time people are jumping in (I don't recommend diving unless you know the waters) put more people at risk. In these conditions I hope your son or anyone that jumped into the water were PFD.

I am sure you slept better knowing you helped them out and not wondering if they would have made it.

2008 Honda Goldwing Trike
2006 Regal 2400
2004 Dodge Ram 2500
2003 Ford F-150
2002 Harley Davidson Roadking Classic
1998 Honda Civic

#467230 - 07/29/09 10:24 AM Re: Should I have let them founder? [Re: On Holiday]  
PDQCobalt Offline
Still Winterized.
PDQCobalt  Offline
Still Winterized.
Admiral

Albany, New York
You definitely did the right thing. And Al does make a good point about it being a legal responsibility. Admiralty Law is very different and complex.

On the other side, you could have filed a salvage claim!

smile

P.D.Q. Cobalt "Levity II"
Cobalt 252 - 560HP Supercharged
GMC Yukon XL 2500 - Just Zainoed

"Frozen Snot" ... L. Francis Herreshoff, in reference to fiberglass, 1959.
#467233 - 07/29/09 10:46 AM Re: Should I have let them founder? [Re: PDQCobalt]  
bperg Offline
Admiral
bperg  Offline
Admiral

huntingdon, pa
I was a lifeguard on the beach in Atlantic City for 16 years, saved the lives of 100's of tourists, and was thanked ONE TIME, by a 90 year old man who told his "time was soon, just glad it wasn't today"

#467239 - 07/29/09 11:20 AM Re: Should I have let them founder? [Re: bperg]  
USMCBoater Offline
Vice Admiral
USMCBoater  Offline
Vice Admiral

Schaumburg, IL
Idiocy cant be helped. Leaving people behind is unacceptable in my book and you did the right thing.

If, as the captain, you feel the conditions are too dangerous to attempt a rescue, then you should stay in the area and radio/ call for help.

It is unfortunate that you were not thanked, but accept a thank you from me for not leaving people behind or in danger.

2004 3/4 Suburban LT 8.1 w/ 3.73
2005 Yamaha SX230.
http://www.mariscalcrew.com/boat

Freedom is never free! Thank a Vet- then thank him again!
#467242 - 07/29/09 11:28 AM Re: Should I have let them founder? [Re: USMCBoater]  
deepv Offline
Safety Officer
deepv  Offline
Safety Officer
Admiral

SoCal
I tried the radio but at this lake in the mountains there are many ridges blocking the signal to the marina, so we rescued them. My kids were not wearing life vests but they are in great shape and are capable of swimming for 15 or 20 minutes to complete this task.

#467243 - 07/29/09 11:38 AM Re: Should I have let them founder? [Re: USMCBoater]  
bryan459 Offline
Admiral
bryan459  Offline
Admiral

Sonoma County
You know there's no question that you did the right thing. What would have bothered me the most would have been finding myself having to help people on SeaDoos/Jetskis; I hate those gnats. No disrespect to fellow abc'ers who are unlikely to be part of the problem.

It's too bad they were ill mannered on top of being inexperienced or incompetent or just plain stupid.

Well done.

bryan459
2005 Sea Ray 185 Sport
2001 Ford F-150 SuperCrew (with tow upgrade)
#467244 - 07/29/09 11:50 AM Re: Should I have let them founder? [Re: bryan459]  
deepv Offline
Safety Officer
deepv  Offline
Safety Officer
Admiral

SoCal
At this point I am wondering if the batteries were fine and they just had the fuel switch on reserve or even off and they just ran out of the limitted amount available. I suppose that I should have checked that because it might have saved me a bit of time and frustration, but I needed to stay on my boat being responsible for it and being the only adult there.

#467269 - 07/29/09 05:05 PM Re: Should I have let them founder? [Re: deepv]  
CJS Offline
Admiral
CJS  Offline
Admiral

Lake Geneva, WI
You definitely did the right thing, Deepv. Too bad the kids on the jet skis weren't more aware of what was happening, but I guess considering they launched after having to jump them in the first place, it really isn't surprising. I think there's a lack of intimidation for most folks when it comes to jet skis, because they are small and they look - and are - really fun. Inexperienced riders don't put 2 and 2 together and know that they are boats and you have to know something about them in order to operate them safely.

2017 Yamaha VX Cruiser HO
2017 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4X4
2016 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4X4
#467272 - 07/29/09 05:56 PM Re: Should I have let them founder? [Re: CJS]  
D-Rod Offline
Rock Chalk Jayhawk
D-Rod  Offline
Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Admiral

Back Stateside
I agree you did the right thing! Hopefully it was a lesson well learned by the kiddo's.

Right up until.......

Did you really have the throttle hammered towing those skis? Poor engine! WOT and only 3500 rpms could do damage. frown

-YOLO
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Admin 

Sponsors
New Topics
Must be that time again.....
by GoFirstClass. 12/04/18 06:18 PM
So Glad Harvard Graduates can afford Expensive Watches
by Justification. 12/04/18 05:27 PM
Trailer Weight Distribution
by MarkHB. 12/01/18 10:56 AM
Holiday DEALS
by KCook. 11/23/18 03:51 PM
Persistence Pays Off
by GoFirstClass. 11/17/18 07:50 PM
Quick question
by Bones. 11/15/18 01:10 AM
Wow! Great to see familiar login names!!!!
by Bones. 11/14/18 11:51 PM
Shopping for another boat...
by Dave R. 11/06/18 05:46 PM
'This site is not secure'-- I'm afraid is true...
by Frantically Relaxing. 10/28/18 10:26 PM
Boating On The Columbia
by GoFirstClass. 10/24/18 11:19 PM
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Dave R), 76 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
okielaker, Rbt18, oldnamwaterskier, farmermike, FrankC
5463 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23
Topics37,219
Posts563,286
Members5,464
Most Online252
Aug 5th, 2017