Your On-Line Port'o'Call

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#464011 - 06/23/09 05:09 PM The kids need FOOD on the lake - sick of sandwiches! Ideas?
kkirt1 Offline
Lieutenant

Loc: Kansas City, Missouri
We had an extended weekend at the lake recently and for the most part really enjoyed it. There were some times that the kids wouldn't eat sandwiches and were starting to get cranky. Okay... truth be told it was bad. For whatever reason my kids seem to be effected more then most from lack of food. I hate to feed them junk food but at this point, anything to keep their energy levels up. We don't have a grill on the boat so it would have to be ready to eat.

Any ideas?

#464014 - 06/23/09 05:25 PM Re: The kids need FOOD on the lake - sick of sandwiches! Ideas? [Re: kkirt1]
Philr Offline
Admiral

Loc: Rock Island, IL
Leave them at Grandmas house?

My wife says that I spend too much time talking to random people online. What do you guys think?

#464015 - 06/23/09 05:38 PM Re: The kids need FOOD on the lake - sick of sandwiches! Ideas? [Re: Philr]
casualboater Offline
Admiral

Loc: Highland, Michigan
This may not work for all, but I do up a batch of ramen noodles and put it in tupperware or something before we leave. The kids just love it, and we usually just use forks in the container or even finger food it. To clarify, we drain the noodles, it's not soup. Sprinkle some of the seasoning packet on it for flavor.

I am a big fan of the grill on the boat. I've got a cheapo portable grass grill from the department store. I don't think it even has a brand name on it. I dissassemble it to store on the boat, and then either bungie it to the swim platform or take it ashore if we're at the beach or a park. If we're our for 3 days, we'll use it for two of them.

#464016 - 06/23/09 05:40 PM Re: The kids need FOOD on the lake - sick of sandwiches! Ideas? [Re: Philr]
deepv Offline
Safety Officer
Admiral

Loc: SoCal
Get a Magna BBQ and mount it on the stern. Then you can que up some dogs, burgers, stakes, chicken, whatever... Add some potato salad or green salad or carrots, maybe even some chips and you got a meal, not just a snack.

I always carry Kashi bars and usually have some fruit and/or cheese sticks in the ice chest to hold 'em over but a BBQ on the lake makes for a great time.

#464023 - 06/23/09 06:03 PM Re: The kids need FOOD on the lake - sick of sandwiches! Ideas? [Re: deepv]
Faster Daddy Offline
Vice Admiral

Loc: Plano, TX
We tend to pack healthy snacks. String cheese, "Gogurt" (Yogurt in a self contained tube, like a popsicle), grapes, crackers. This may not cut it for a long day on the lake, but definitely helps reduce the "I'm hungry" meltdown. For reference my kids are 4 and almost 6 and we often will bring along friends of similar ages.
I also have (but have never used) a little 12 volt oven/grill that came when I bought my boat. It could easily cook a hot dog or chicken nugget, and maybe even a small burger. I think this may be something more designed for truck drivers.

#464029 - 06/23/09 07:26 PM Re: The kids need FOOD on the lake - sick of sandwiches! Ideas? [Re: Faster Daddy]
On Holiday Offline
Captain
Admiral

Loc: Pennsylvania
I only eat sandwiches when I am on the boat and then I don't like to eat them. I will bring some pieces of pizza or something else to eat. I also eat a big breakfast that will hold me over until later.

#464030 - 06/23/09 07:36 PM Re: The kids need FOOD on the lake - sick of sandwiches! Ideas? [Re: On Holiday]
woosterken Offline
Admiral

Loc: Wooster ohio
when I was in my semi,I had a cooler/heater that pluged in the cig. lighter,put it on the heat side get a bucket of the col's. chicken it would stay hot for days.
or go to the army/navy surplus get ready to eat meals

woosterken

#464032 - 06/23/09 07:40 PM Re: The kids need FOOD on the lake - sick of sandwiches! Ideas? [Re: On Holiday]
kdl Offline
Admiral

Loc: Central Mass
I'm a big fan of the grill. We've done the usual hamburgs and hot dogs, along with steak tips, grilled chicken, chicken alfredo, pasta with baby clams and white sauce, stir fry etc. A lot of frozen dishes you would find in the supermarket cook well on the grill too. Sandwiches do get old after about week 5.

2001 Key Largo 190 CC
"After Five"

#464034 - 06/23/09 07:50 PM Re: The kids need FOOD on the lake - sick of sandwiches! Ideas? [Re: kdl]
On Holiday Offline
Captain
Admiral

Loc: Pennsylvania
we did the charcoal grill thing on the beach and it was a pain. I was in a raftup with some members on this board and they did the gas grill on the boat and we were down wind from burgers cooking and I was eating a sandwich that I don't particularly care for. You just need to be careful when transporting propane in the boat.

#464041 - 06/23/09 08:40 PM Re: The kids need FOOD on the lake - sick of sandwiches! Ideas? [Re: On Holiday]
Silverbullet Offline
Admiral

Loc: Boise, ID
We're not to that point yet, but you have heard some great ideas. Bringing gogurt is good. We also bring fruit such as presliced apples from costco, grapes, and other foods that don't make too big of a mess. Try making wraps instead of sandwiches for a different twist.

It's tough out there, but a cranky kid makes it super tough.
1988 Suburban 3/4 Ton
2000 Subaru Forester

#464052 - 06/23/09 09:24 PM Re: The kids need FOOD on the lake - sick of sandwiches! Ideas? [Re: On Holiday]
Frantically Relaxing Offline
Admiral

Ready to eat:

Trail mix is a good snack, so is dried fruit. I suppose yogurt covered raisins are good for you...

If they won't eat sandwiches, maybe they'll eat 'lunchables' (crackers, meat & cheese)?

Some raw carrots & celery and a little ranch dressing for veggies...

#464054 - 06/23/09 09:26 PM Re: The kids need FOOD on the lake - sick of sandwiches! Ideas? [Re: Silverbullet]
CJS Offline
Admiral

Loc: Powers Lake, WI
I've discovered kiwis for the kids. Bring a knife and some spoons and the kids are happy. Slice the fruit in half on the short side and let them dig the flesh of the fruit out like grapefruit. The relatively high sugar content of the fruit makes them happy, and the self-serve nature of the fruit keeps life simple. I second the idea of wraps for a fun change-up from the humdrum sandwich monotony.

Also, a Coleman grill opens up the possibility of kebabs with meat and veggies... Show me a kid who doesn't like a kebab and I'll show you a liar. They can be pre-assembled and cooked fairly fast when you're on the hook or on the hard.

#464077 - 06/24/09 05:44 AM Re: The kids need FOOD on the lake - sick of sandwiches! Ideas? [Re: CJS]
captkevin Offline
Admiral

Loc: Chicago, IL
What about double wrapping some hotdogs in tin foil & tossing them on the intake manifold while your cruising around then when you stop for lunch they would have a warm meal. There are actually some cook books that focus on cooking food on the manifolds of you car. Don't think boat engines get as warm so cooking times could vary. Also one thing I read was it is important to use heavy duty foil & double wrap. Just a thought.

#464081 - 06/24/09 06:43 AM Re: The kids need FOOD on the lake - sick of sandwiches! Ideas? [Re: captkevin]
BToran Offline
Admiral

Loc: Northport, New York
grilled sloth is our favorite. tastes a bit like owl when cooked properly.
"Don't Eat Anything Bigger Than Your Head"

#464085 - 06/24/09 06:57 AM Re: The kids need FOOD on the lake - sick of sandwiches! Ideas? [Re: kkirt1]
ToemanDoug Offline
Lieutenant JG

Loc: Albany,NY
If you have an I/O or full inboard, you could do engine top cooking if you are running enough. When I drove tour bus, we had some pretty hearty meals cooked atop the ole Detroit 8v71 "grill". (the 8v71 gives a clue to how long ago this was...LOL)

Specifically, canned meals: beef stew, Spaghetti, etc cook right in the can. The more elaborate included pot roast (cut up beef and veggies, add seasoning, and wrap in tin foil), re-heating leftovers.....the list is only limited by your imagination and the kids appetite.

Good luck!

#464089 - 06/24/09 07:46 AM Re: The kids need FOOD on the lake - sick of sandwiches! Ideas? [Re: ToemanDoug]
Razorhog Offline
Vice Admiral

Loc: Springfield, MO

Each year, I have my venison trimmings made into summer sausage, sticks, and jerky. Lucky for me, my family loves it, especially on the water with some cheeses and fruit. Doritos, Triscuits, or Cheezits (have you had the new White Cheddar or Pepper Jack..WOW) are key to a successful day. We, too, do trail mixes, and we buy the stuff from Sams by the ton. We stop by a local deli occassionally and pickup their chicken strips or potato logs, but you gotta have ranch, ketchup or bbq, which makes me a nervous wreck, but they sure taste good.

My kids (and me) don't do well without food either, so I feel your pain.
Go Hogs Go!

#464093 - 06/24/09 08:20 AM Re: The kids need FOOD on the lake - sick of sandwiches! Id [Re: ToemanDoug]
athiker Offline
Admiral

Loc: Lake Norman, NC
Try to eat something with protein either before you go or as a snack...it will hold off their hunger longer. Someone above mentioned a big breakfast, try to go with some eggs, bacon/sausage, cheese...something along that line incorporated into breakfast. A bowl of Cheerios is great but it doesn't seem to last long for a day on the lake. At a minimum try to get them to eat something a bit filling like maybe a banana.

For on the boat I try to avoid the dreaded orange cheesy fish crackers at all cost, though they somehow make their way onto the boat. I can't stand the taste or what they do to the boat, but the wife and kids like them. For a carb snack we mostly bring pretzels now.

Better options are peanut butter/celery logs (kept in cooler...also can be made w/ soft cheese...crunchy & cold), if you must have crackers then Ritz or Saltines with peanut butter in between, cheese sticks are great, as mentioned...trail mix...just a simple peanuts, raisins and M&M are quite tasty...a bit salty and sweet but w/ some hunger fighting protein & "good" fat. My kids like granola bars pretty well also, usually the peanut butter flavor ones (see a theme?). 2 of my 3 kids really like the blueberry Pure bars...they are okay, but I prefer the cherry Larabar bars. They both have some almonds in them.

Finally, maybe experiment with can or zip lock bags of different nut mixes and styles. Almonds, peanuts, walnuts...etc...salted, honey roasted, etc. Even if the honey roasted have more sugar they are no doubt better than some other options.

Let us know if something works out.

Does anyone eat Vienna Sausages anymore? Bad fat for sure, but we used to always eat them camping and boating, warmed up or cold. I haven't had them for years now.

#464096 - 06/24/09 09:13 AM Re: The kids need FOOD on the lake - sick of sandwiches! Id [Re: athiker]
deepv Offline
Safety Officer
Admiral

Along with losing 60#'s comes limiting the food intake. Kashi Granola bars for snacks as we go and a "light" meal on the grill. Charcoal will be a real pain in the @$$ on the boat but it is the only thing I use at home. The Magna grill that I have also has what they call shore legs that come in quite handy while camping and allows for grilling on the beach too. I even used it in the condo that we stayed at on Catalina Island a couple years back as the condo did not have a bbq. The Magna comes highly recommeded by me.

Click image above for more information

"Shore Legs"

EDIT: the grill is "clamped" in place which is perfect on a boat. It also can be removed and then it becomes a stove. I've used this before too to heat beans for the bbq and also in the morning to make coffee.

#464101 - 06/24/09 09:27 AM Re: The kids need FOOD on the lake - sick of sandwiches! Id [Re: deepv]
Cobalt24sx Offline
"Rough Draft"
Admiral

Loc: Virginia
Originally Posted By: deepv
Get a Magna BBQ and mount it on the stern. Then you can que up some dogs, burgers, stakes, chicken, whatever... Add some potato salad or green salad or carrots, maybe even some chips and you got a meal, not just a snack.

Stakes do provide a lot of fiber but they tend to cook up too fast on the grill (sorry feeling a little bit like a smart A$$ today). I recommend good old fashioned red meat STEAK. You can transport it in the marinade bag. Don't forget to let the meat warm up a little bit before grilling and to let it rest 5-10 minutes when finished grilling.

If your boat is "grill challenged" and your having a hard time figuring out where to mount the grill, try using sea suckers grill mounts.

#464104 - 06/24/09 09:31 AM Re: The kids need FOOD on the lake - sick of sandwiches! Id [Re: Cobalt24sx]
deepv Offline
Safety Officer
Admiral

Steaks. Sorry. The holes for the screws for the grill mount were the first of many holes that I drilled in my hull. The flag in my signature picture is in the same mount for the bbq.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 
Sponsors
New Topics
Positive proof of global warming
by kjsAZ
06:22 PM
New from Monterey for 2015
by Capn Morgan
08/26/14 11:57 AM
Removed my omc sterndrive and this is what I found
by goneboatin
08/26/14 02:27 AM
2004 Cobalt 220 Bimini top help needed
by Senoj
08/25/14 07:52 PM
Approaching AARP Status
by Skibrain
08/24/14 09:54 PM
Think that green light means its safe to proceed?
by Admin
08/24/14 08:30 AM
The Skiing School of Hard Knocks
by Parrott_head
08/24/14 12:09 AM
A Lock for sailboaters
by GoFirstClass
08/23/14 11:49 PM
Installing a bayliner 87 OMC sterndrive outdrive
by goneboatin
08/23/14 11:36 PM
Friday Night Lights
by HotByte
08/23/14 02:39 PM

Who's Online
0 registered (), 19 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
1939br, WCOffshore, kyle828, Wooters_World, simonthepieman
5224 Registered Users
Forum Stats
5224 Members
23 Forums
36225 Topics
548692 Posts

Max Online: 188 @ 09/17/13 03:07 AM