Rate This Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#434131 - 09/08/08 07:02 PM Re: Bud Light Lime? [Re: 230 Mike]  
2Suns Offline
Admiral
2Suns  Offline
Admiral

Peoria,IL
Samuel Adams was recently bought by Polish Breweries, Inc for 25 million US dollars.

ijustmadethatup.com
grin

By the time they had diminished from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect "Hungry.”-Gary Larson
A Word from Our Sponsors
#434132 - 09/08/08 07:02 PM Re: Bud Light Lime? [Re: 2Suns]  
etyppo Offline
Admiral
etyppo  Offline
Admiral

Northern California
Originally Posted By: 2Suns
Bud Light Lime- for beer drinkers that don't drink beer.

I thought that's what Blue Moon was for?

2006 Cobalt 263 Mercruiser 8.1
#434133 - 09/08/08 07:06 PM Re: Bud Light Lime? [Re: deepv]  
Memory Maker Offline
Admiral
Memory Maker  Offline
Admiral

Northeast PA
How about Yeungling Lager, is that "American"? Brewed right here in Pennsylvania, I believe they advertise that they are "North America's oldest brewery". It is my "goto" beer, definately my current favorite.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
#434134 - 09/08/08 07:16 PM Re: Bud Light Lime? [Re: Memory Maker]  
Dock Holiday Offline
Admiral
Dock Holiday  Offline
Admiral

Lake Geneva, WI
Yeungling sure is better than Iron City Beer!

#434137 - 09/08/08 07:27 PM Re: Bud Light Lime? [Re: Dock Holiday]  
230 Mike Offline
Admiral
230 Mike  Offline
Admiral
Admiral

KC, Table Rock, Lake Perry
Anyone else remember this?

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
'98 F150 XLT
Boat Pic
#434157 - 09/08/08 09:45 PM Re: Bud Light Lime? [Re: 230 Mike]  
Parrott_head Offline
Admiral of Vice
Parrott_head  Offline
Admiral of Vice
Admiral

I like to put crushed Jalapeno peppers in my beer. That way I can tell who is stealing it...

Former owner of a 2002 Four Winns 234 FunShip
'16 F250 4x4 Oil Burner
"Hey, if I'm a Vice Admiral, which vice do I get to claim?"
#434193 - 09/09/08 05:35 AM Re: Bud Light Lime? [Re: 230 Mike]  
Boatsrule Offline
Admiral
Boatsrule  Offline
Admiral

Paw Paw/Vicksburg Michigan, GO...
Originally Posted By: 230 Mike
Anyone else remember this?

I remember,
I believe I have couple in my collection in boxes in the basement or attic.

-----------------------------------

#434242 - 09/09/08 09:39 AM Re: Bud Light Lime? [Re: Boatsrule]  
athiker Offline
Admiral
athiker  Offline
Admiral

Lake Norman, NC
When InBev bought AB, Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) actually became the LARGEST American beer company! Their market share?...less than 1%.

Meet the New King of Beers

According to their website Yuengling is family owned. It looks like they brew in both Pottsville, PA and Tampa, FL.

RE: Bud Lime...I couldn't believe they knocked off the Corona bottle so blatantly. I was even more shocked when my 69 year old dad showed up w/ BL in his cooler telling me how much he liked it. Dad is definitely no fufu beer drinker or fufu anything else and I'm pretty confident he doesn't know what a Bistro is. wink But he likes what he likes, and on a hot day he now likes BL. Personally, a few sips are okay on a hot day, but I don't care for it too much.

2000 Cobalt 206 5.7L EFI Alpha 1
#434246 - 09/09/08 09:47 AM Re: Bud Light Lime? [Re: athiker]  
athiker Offline
Admiral
athiker  Offline
Admiral

Lake Norman, NC
Ha!...Fortune made an interactive game to show who owns what label now.

Click here

EDIT: On the left side you can click to see brews that are no longer made. Walk down memory lane...anyone remember Goebels?...or Joebells said w/ a french accent...never pronounced Gobils on a date? grin It was the cheap college beer version of Tarjay (Target). Others on the "canned" list so to speak: Red, White & Blue, Meister Brau (remember those fat little fist sized bottles?), Billy Beer and Generic Beer (white can!).

Last edited by athiker; 09/09/08 09:54 AM.

2000 Cobalt 206 5.7L EFI Alpha 1
#434256 - 09/09/08 10:17 AM Re: Bud Light Lime? [Re: Parrott_head]  
jjct1 Offline
Admiral
jjct1  Offline
Admiral

Lake Tapps
Originally Posted By: Parrott_head

I like Vodka in my watermelon.
I prefer Graves Grain and watermelon.

2004 Mastercraft X-Star
2001 Kawasaki 900 STX
#434326 - 09/09/08 01:55 PM Re: Bud Light Lime? [Re: jjct1]  
FatDog Offline
Admiral
FatDog  Offline
Admiral

Lakeside, CA
Originally Posted By: jjct1
I prefer Graves Grain and watermelon.

i thought you were just kidding about the grain, but i found that it is actually sold in liquor stores, !
(although i think only in a couple States?)

i think i would rather drink that crushed jalopenos in beer idea over grain

#434402 - 09/09/08 06:25 PM Re: Bud Light Lime? [Re: FatDog]  
BillyB Offline
Admiral
BillyB  Offline
Admiral

Peoria, Illinois
Brain Drain, 190 Grain... There's even a song about it! Great Jackyl tune, by the way.

Bud Light Lime, not a good beer.

I'm just happy to be here!

#434408 - 09/09/08 07:27 PM Re: Bud Light Lime? [Re: Boatsrule]  
jtheile Offline
Admiral
jtheile  Offline
Admiral

North Ridgeville, Ohio
Originally Posted By: Boatsrule
I have drank more Miller lately then I have since I divorced my first wife whose dad was a Miller distributor!!

This wasn't the distributer in Grand Rapids, was it?

Joe
Four Winns 225 Sundowner
#434410 - 09/09/08 07:39 PM Re: Bud Light Lime? [Re: BillyB]  
Cigar Man Offline
Admiral
Cigar Man  Offline
Admiral

The Dark Side....
Six pages about lime beer. Go figure. Limes in beer it is rumored started in Mehico. Corona ad folks just ran with a bit of history here. The tropical 'lime beer allure' followed the 1963 filming of "Night of the Iguana" in Puerto Vallarta and the nearby village of Mismaloya. The film’s cast was a who’s who of Hollywood adulterous partiers, including Richard Burton and Ava Gardner. They attracted a lot of publicity.

It seems Ms. Gardner really enjoyed her beer, often staying up all night and into the next day’s filming after drinking her cabana boys under the table. She was said to add a lime to each beer on the advice of the best hung cabana boy. Burton was said to have drunk a case of Mehican beer daily and required that his cooler be kept filled with the local brew at all times. He too started using limes, hoping to 'grow' into it.... blush

As the gossip columnists began reporting on this lovely and isolated location, travelers began seeking out that sort of Mehico– the one with the beautiful people, and lime beer. The decades that followed saw the development of Acapulco, Cancun, Cozumel, Guymas and Mazatlán. Though our impressions might be a bit skewed, the pristine beach is how we think of Mehico and the golden lager is the cerveza de México - with limes.

To understand the lime Mehican beer thing properly, you’ll need to know a bit more about the lime. More specifically, the tiny lime from Mehico called a limón agrios. The name suggests a lemon to English speakers, but since a lemon is sweeter than these limes, it’s usually called limón dulce. The bigger, common limes found in the local grocery can be used if you can’t find the limónes.

Here in the States, and at resorts in Mehico, Mehican beer is almost always served with a lime. We expect it. Then again, some locals say they won’t have it, that it’s a gimmick for gay los turistas. Seems to work here. Can’t you imagine that scene from "Treasure of the Sierra Madre"? "Limónes, we don’t need no stinking limónes!"

One story has it that in the not-so-distant past, a beer marketer came up with the idea for the lime. So far, due to myth or gay shame, that individual has never come forward. Another says the lime’s acidity helps cut the slightly sweet corn flavor of Mehican beers.

Another says that the cans of beer would be stored in dusty conditions. People naturally wanted to clean up the mouth of the can and they found a wedge of lime to be the perfect solution. This explanation makes some sense to me living in the desert Southwest, where EVERYTHING is covered in dust, as limes may have already been on the table for serving with shots of tequila. Go figure.

Still another account says the wedge of lime could be laid on top of the opening to keep flies from getting into the beer. Then again, the most plausible story might be that early bottles of Mehican beer were reportedly sealed with linerless caps, resulting in a ring of rust on the bottle rim. A swipe of the lime and the bottle came clean.

Lately, beer purists have been seen wearing shirts with the slogan "NFL," which apparently means "No Farkin’ Lime" or something close to that. Perhaps the best evidence that the lime tradition is a hoax is that in Mehico over 80 percent of beer bottles are returned for cleaning and refilling. Getting the limes out of the bottle must be about as easy as putting spaghetti through a straw.

When serving Mehican beer to your friends, it’s probably best not to presume one way or the other. Ask if they want a lime, or place some wedges in a small dish on the table. If you want to look most authentic, seek out the tiny limónes in a Hispanic grocery, and simply quarter them.

For pale lagers like Sol, Corona, or Tecate, pack the bottles in a bucket of ice. These beers are best served muy frío. Good traditional accompaniments include chips with salsa or guacamole, saliditos (salty dried plums), or chicharrones (fried pork rinds). If you want the ultimate in macho side dishes, you might consider the way the little old men in a dimly lit lonchería drink their beer–while nibbling on a roasted habanero chili.

Or you can just buy the lime stuff. Nuff said. ho

Last edited by Cigar Man; 09/09/08 07:54 PM.

"Meet me in Cognito, Baby
In Cognito we'll have nothing to hide.
The best thing about life in Cognito Baby
Is that everybody's nobody there."
Tom Robbins

#434413 - 09/09/08 07:56 PM Re: Bud Light Lime? [Re: Cigar Man]  
Justification Offline
Admiral
Justification  Offline
Admiral

Fruit Heights, Utah
bow
Great history lesson. I was hoping we'd be able to count on you.
Any theories about using the lime to avoid scurvy? Any truth to the story of Gin and tonics with lime used to prevent scurvy?

As to the bud lime For a free lawnmower beer I'd try one, but I'm not going out of my way to get one.

Beer makes you feel the way
You should feel without beer.
#434414 - 09/09/08 08:03 PM Re: Bud Light Lime? [Re: Justification]  
camp180 Offline
Admiral
camp180  Offline
Admiral

Mass.
Okay, my entire life I have been in the minority.
I like Bud Light Lime. I do agree it is a fad beer and will not be around long.

Last edited by camp180; 09/09/08 08:03 PM.

2005 Ebbtide 2100 Sport Cuddy
5.0 Volvo SX
#434416 - 09/09/08 08:18 PM Re: Bud Light Lime? [Re: camp180]  
Cigar Man Offline
Admiral
Cigar Man  Offline
Admiral

The Dark Side....
Scurvy was a sailors disease methinks. Imagine you're a deckhand on an 18th century British 240 Sundancer frigate. You've been at sea for months, and it's been at least that long since you've seen, let alone eaten, a nice piece of fruit (or a woman for that matter - get you C where you can I always say). It's been stale biscuits and lots of rum for some time now. And one day you notice dark spots on your skin. And then your teeth start falling out and you start to bleed internally. And before long, you're headed straight for Davy Jones' locker.

Without citrus fruit, sailors ingested practically no vitamin C, which is important for the body's production of collagen I'm told. Collagen is that fibrous substance that helps keep cells together. Without it, bones, teeth, and the body's connective tissues begin to break down. But all it takes to cure and prevent scurvy is regular doses of vitamin C. Although they weren't aware yet of the vitamin C and collagen components due to creationism, not science, still being the rage of the day in the schools, by the mid 18th century British doctors figured out that sucking on limes, tart women and other citrus fruits would keep their sailors healthy, or at least scurvy-free.

The acidity of lime juice must have wreaked havoc on sailors' teeth, but it was evidently a small price to pay for stopping scurvy in its tracks. But I digress - we were talking about lime beer.

Mehico produces one great dark beer rarely seen north of the border. It is called Noche Buena ("Good Night") and could be described as a traditional German bockbier. Available only from September to December each year, Noche Buena is reason number (beyond tart women) one why you should embark to Mexico on a beer holiday.

But above all, remember it’s Mehico, it’s your vacation, and you are there to enjoy the moment. Find your new favorite cerveza, sink your feet into the sand, and throw away your sell phone - it doesn't work here anyway. Let the surf gently crash onto your feet as the sun sets over the horizon. Only then will you know the truth about the lime, and that dark-skinned large-breasted chiquita walking toward you. Hasta luego. ¡Salúd! d

"Meet me in Cognito, Baby
In Cognito we'll have nothing to hide.
The best thing about life in Cognito Baby
Is that everybody's nobody there."
Tom Robbins

#434418 - 09/09/08 08:37 PM Re: Bud Light Lime? [Re: jtheile]  
Boatsrule Offline
Admiral
Boatsrule  Offline
Admiral

Paw Paw/Vicksburg Michigan, GO...
Originally Posted By: jtheile
Originally Posted By: Boatsrule
I have drank more Miller lately then I have since I divorced my first wife whose dad was a Miller distributor!!

This wasn't the distributer in Grand Rapids, was it?

Nope it was out west.

-----------------------------------

#434430 - 09/09/08 09:27 PM Re: Bud Light Lime? [Re: Boatsrule]  
Parrott_head Offline
Admiral of Vice
Parrott_head  Offline
Admiral of Vice
Admiral

...as I told Ms. Taylor...."Ms. Taylor, you should really try a slice of this nice lime in your beer...it may start something..."

I did not know how right I was.....

Former owner of a 2002 Four Winns 234 FunShip
'16 F250 4x4 Oil Burner
"Hey, if I'm a Vice Admiral, which vice do I get to claim?"
#434469 - 09/10/08 12:47 AM Re: Bud Light Lime? [Re: Parrott_head]  
rollofire Offline
Admiral
rollofire  Offline
Admiral

arcadia, calif
Corona an lime here.......................

2001 23' wellcraft excalibur
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Admin 

Sponsors
New Topics
New Fishy Boat From Regal - 33 SAV
by Dock Holiday. 02/22/18 11:03 PM
"What is wrong" was asked........
by GoFirstClass. 02/19/18 11:00 PM
Volvo Round the World Yacht Race
by MarkHB. 02/17/18 08:42 PM
iPad Navagation Apps
by MarkHB. 02/17/18 08:29 PM
Ahoy! Long time no see. Boat shopping.
by Cycleboater. 02/15/18 01:40 PM
JD Powers most dependable cars
by Frantically Relaxing. 02/14/18 06:32 PM
Cruise Help?
by casualboater. 02/12/18 10:48 PM
Yamaha 200 vs Evinrude 150 Comparison
by Jack T. 02/11/18 09:13 PM
Millennials... were WE that scary?
by Frantically Relaxing. 02/11/18 07:58 PM
USS Arizona
by GoFirstClass. 02/10/18 07:17 PM
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Maclin), 61 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Lofty, Csaba, Bflotim1, RogerKlotz, Lumpkins
5432 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23
Topics37,106
Posts561,716
Members5,432
Most Online252
Aug 5th, 2017