Your On-Line Port'o'Call

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#404147 - 05/10/08 08:11 AM GMC Acadia Towing
Knota_Kare Offline
Commander

Loc: Minnesota
Just picked up my boat from storage Thursday and towed it to the lake for the first time using my 07 GMC AWD Acadia. Previously I had a Chevy Suburban so I was a little concerned about how the Acadia would handle my boat.

The Acadia did a better than expected job - from a power stand point and braking and handling - all non-events. The tow unit handled the boat...not vica versa. This is a heavy load for the Acadia - my boat weighs 4300 lbs dry and I had a "loaner" steel trailer and a full tank of gas and some gear on board. Now I would not reccomend this for any long distance towing, but the Acadia did an admirable job of towing over the 30 miles or so I had to go. The country is relatively flat...just a few small hills. At highway speeds (55) (and short hauls to the dealer and occasionally to other nearby lakes) it does a fine job for my purposes. (N0, I am not recommending this as a vehicle for towing in the mountains or for long distances with a load such as mine).

As this is my daily driver, the nimble size and mileage the Acadia provides is just the ticket for my all-around driving purposes.

A Word from Our Sponsors
#404148 - 05/10/08 08:18 AM Re: GMC Acadia Towing [Re: Knota_Kare]
D-Rod Offline
Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Admiral

Loc: Back Stateside
Cool. Good to hear!

#404313 - 05/11/08 03:26 PM Re: GMC Acadia Towing [Re: D-Rod]
seabuddy Offline
Admiral

So the tow load was about 5,500 lbs? 6,500 lbs?

#404363 - 05/11/08 07:33 PM Re: GMC Acadia Towing [Re: seabuddy]
van Offline
Lieutenant Commander

Knota Kare, the Acadia appears to have a tow rating of 4500 pounds. If you go over that and have and accident with that load on public roads you may be setting yourself up for a law suit.

#404418 - 05/11/08 10:24 PM Re: GMC Acadia Towing [Re: van]
Indyboater Offline
Admiral

Loc: Indianapolis
Originally Posted By: van
Knota Kare, the Acadia appears to have a tow rating of 4500 pounds. If you go over that and have and accident with that load on public roads you may be setting yourself up for a law suit.

These days, if you have an accident, you normally will get a lawsuit no matter what. Why do you want to threaten folks with that?

#404436 - 05/12/08 05:42 AM Re: GMC Acadia Towing [Re: Indyboater]
CMJ Offline
Admiral

Loc: Oldsmar FL
You are right Indy, but if you are towing over the rating then more fault and negligence could be shifted your way increasing your exposure. Also gives your insurance company an out, again, increasing your exposure. I have been through several seminars on this type of thing for the company, if you are a little wrong even if the other guy is a lot wrong, it can get ugly for you in a hurry.

#404437 - 05/12/08 05:47 AM Re: GMC Acadia Towing [Re: CMJ]
D-Rod Offline
Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Admiral

I was under the impression the government did things by axle rating and GCVW, which was set by federal or state government and not by manufactures. Anyone know for sure what the "legal" limit is?

#404440 - 05/12/08 05:56 AM Re: GMC Acadia Towing [Re: D-Rod]
seabuddy Offline
Admiral

A Lincoln with the stronger driveshaft and other bits was rated at 5,000 lbs. The same car without was rated at 2,000 lbs.

#404442 - 05/12/08 05:57 AM Re: GMC Acadia Towing [Re: seabuddy]
seabuddy Offline
Admiral

Quote:
You are right Indy, but if you are towing over the rating then more fault and negligence could be shifted your way increasing your exposure. Also gives your insurance company an out, again, increasing your exposure. I have been through several seminars on this type of thing for the company, if you are a little wrong even if the other guy is a lot wrong, it can get ugly for you in a hurry.

I agree.

#404448 - 05/12/08 06:15 AM Re: GMC Acadia Towing [Re: D-Rod]
PhatboyC Offline
Always Need a Bigger Boat
Admiral

Loc: Ottawa/Ontario
Originally Posted By: D-Rod
I was under the impression the government did things by axle rating and GCVW, which was set by federal or state government and not by manufactures. Anyone know for sure what the "legal" limit is?

Not that I know of. It's up to manufacturers. For example, when the new Toyota Tundra came out Ford suddenly upped their tow rating on the F150. Since the F150 was already a new model from last year they did this without changing a thing on the truck. It's not just about security for the manufacturers. It more of where you want to position yourself with the competition without risking getting to much warranty claims in the long run.

Last year the manufacturers finally came together to form a towing capacity standard. Should be implemented any time now if not already.
Blog article here.

06 Doral 245 Escape VP 5.7GXI DP
25'.6" Cuddy Cabin

#404451 - 05/12/08 06:34 AM Re: GMC Acadia Towing [Re: PhatboyC]
PhatboyC Offline
Always Need a Bigger Boat
Admiral

Loc: Ottawa/Ontario
For example. I'm planing putting my boat in the water with my 07 Santa Fee AWD which is rated only at 3500lbs. I will be moving it from my parents lot in the country to the local ramp twice a year. (Boat will be in a boat lift the rest of summer.) The hardest part will be going up the hill on the lot. Depending how the suv will react I will continue on the road. Before anyone object to this. This is in a very small village with hardly any car going by and will take me 5 minutes to get there at a slow paste.

My cousin will be doing the same every time he puts his boat (same size) in the water. He has a 4WD 2001 Blazer rated at 5000lbs. But if you ask me which one I think is safer my money is on the Santa Fe. The brakes are huge compared to the Blazer plus brake distribution. I have been in his suv with his boat and everything was shaking when he was braking hard. For a short ride I think that is more important factor than anything else. Funny video example.

Todays self tow standards are more conservative than before. I'm not surprise by the tow performance of Knota_Kare's GMC Acadia vs his older Chevy Suburban.

06 Doral 245 Escape VP 5.7GXI DP
25'.6" Cuddy Cabin

#404455 - 05/12/08 06:50 AM Re: GMC Acadia Towing [Re: PhatboyC]
seabuddy Offline
Admiral

Are you concerned about 1) liability or 2) damage to the tow car?

#404462 - 05/12/08 07:23 AM Re: GMC Acadia Towing [Re: seabuddy]
WaterWing Offline
Admiral

Loc: Chicago
The Acadia is on my short list for replacing the Explorer. I too will be pushing the towing limit if I got it. I only tow a few miles each way on flat land. The Acadia is bigger than the Explorer and yet has a lower tow rating. I'm thinking it's because of the frame... nothing else.

Enjoy your new rig.

#404490 - 05/12/08 08:39 AM Re: GMC Acadia Towing [Re: WaterWing]
Knota_Kare Offline
Commander

I was wondering how many folks would chastise me for the towing report.

Now....does that same rating system apply to all drivers, all loads and to all terrains??? In other words, the law is ok with a driver with limited or no towing experience pulling a 4500 lb load over the rocky mountains in this vehicle as opposed to me (who was teethed on a chain binder) towing 6000 lbs over a short distance on the flat lands around here. Yep...thats the USA we have come to know.

Common sense gets trumped by an arbitrary rating system when it comes to our laws these days....It's a sad situation.

The Unibody of the Acadia likely prevents a higher tow rating for this rig. It seems to have adequate power and braking... and enough weight to do the job for me - under good conditons.

With gas prices such as they are....the Acadia is about 30% more efficient to drive and rides a whole lot smoother than my old Suburban. I have had 6 4WD pick-ups or Suburbans prior to this unit....and I am not going back! The Acadia will get your boat in and out of the water.

#404494 - 05/12/08 08:42 AM Re: GMC Acadia Towing [Re: Knota_Kare]
WaterWing Offline
Admiral

Loc: Chicago
Knota Kare , I agree

I think the limits are geared based off that you have 5/7 passengers with the cargo full to itís max and you are driving on hilly areas with the air-conditioner on. If you drive alone, that just increases your towing capacity.

#404589 - 05/12/08 12:10 PM Re: GMC Acadia Towing [Re: CMJ]
BillyB Offline
Admiral

Loc: Peoria, Illinois
Originally Posted By: CMJ
... Also gives your insurance company an out, again, increasing your exposure...

I'll state this again for the class. Even if you knowingly overload your truck, your insurance company can not deny your claim for damage due to an accident. You didn't "mean to" have the accident. So while you may have meant to overload, you didn't mean to hurt anyone or damage their property. So you are going to have your full liability coverage in force.
I wish all you guys would stopping spreading myths that insurance carriers deny liability for any and every little thing. They don't. Almost every time an inusrance company denies a 1st party claim, it's because the cause is specifically excluded in the policy. And in a 3rd party claim, if they deny to pay the claimant, it's because they have sided with their policy holder who is telling them that "the other guy is at fault."

Now that said, if you had an accident in a grossly overloaded and obviously unsafe vehicle, and guys like you all were on the jury, you can bet your sweet bottom that the jury is going to award the injured party a HUGE sum of money, to punish you. And that's the natural extension of what Indys first comment was.

Edited by BillyB (05/12/08 12:12 PM)

#404591 - 05/12/08 12:14 PM Re: GMC Acadia Towing [Re: Knota_Kare]
BillyB Offline
Admiral

Loc: Peoria, Illinois
Knota, any easy way for you to weight the boat on that trailer? I'd love to know the actual numbers to see how far over you were. It would be interesting to see how overloaded your were, especially since you stated that it handled the load.

#404602 - 05/12/08 12:28 PM Re: GMC Acadia Towing [Re: BillyB]
D-Rod Offline
Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Admiral

Just a side note: Unibody does not necessarily mean "weak" tow rating. Look at the MB GL class. It's a Unibody vehicle with a tow-rating greater than that of a 400hp Caddy Escalade.

As for the Acadia...I think the real weak link in that setup for towing might be the transmission.

#404673 - 05/12/08 03:30 PM Re: GMC Acadia Towing [Re: D-Rod]
Knota_Kare Offline
Commander

Billy...I'm not certain of actual weights, I'm just using the manufacturers figures and an estimate of the trailer. My guess is around 6000 lbs. The tounge weight was not excessive and the rig didn't squat much when loaded. I don't know of any scales in the area or I would check it out. I did take a picture...but now I am afraid to incriminate myself. nono

Keep in mind that I plan to tow this rig a few times each season from nearby storage to my lake cabin (where it will sit on my lift for much of the season) and possibly if I need maintenance during the season, etc. I agree with D Rod that the weak link in the chain may be the tranny, but I sorta baby the load so as to go easy starting out and on the shift points, and know enough to take it easy at the boat ramps, etc. Also, I chose a boat ramp that has a nice approach angle. Having said the above, I think the Acadia did a real nice job on the tow.

When I bought the Acadia I didn't plan to buy this heavy of a boat in the future, and it was equipped about right for my prior boat. That rig likely was at about the max weight rating and I towed my old boat about 100 miles. I know there are several others on here that need an occasional tow unit, but also want the economy for a daily driver / SUV....therefore the post. The Acadia is not the answer for long distance / heavy towing needs, but it can bridge the gap for a few like me that need to get their boat in and out of the nearby lake. Just take it easy. I certainly don't feel the load was at any time unsafe. Most of my other towing needs are with a 16 foot aluminum fishing boat / 60 HP, and with a utility trailer.

I was thinking about this topic on my drive back home from the lake today.....Remember when the U-Haul company used to bolt on a bumper hitch to the family sedan's rear bumper and you could tow just about any load your wanted? You would see some real beauties going down the road at times. LOL...how times have changed. funny

#404690 - 05/12/08 04:38 PM Re: GMC Acadia Towing [Re: WaterWing]
CMJ Offline
Admiral

Loc: Oldsmar FL
Billy,

Fortunately my personal vehicle insurance dealings have been pretty limited, I may be jaded by my business dealings. That being said, I have a hard time believing that if you are towing way over your vehicles capabilities and have an accident that your insurance company isn't going to come back on you for some reinbursement of claims paid, best case I would think they would drop you like a hot potato. I do believe you are right, they will not deny payments, I don't think they can.

I can tell you for a fact that our company vehicle insurance carrier is very interested in what we are doing with our vehicles, including what we are pulling behind them, how often, and how many miles we do it.

And lastly, you are dead wrong about my views if I were sitting on a jury.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 
Sponsors
New Topics
Replacement Batteries?
by RX 4 Fun
04/20/14 08:58 PM
We dodged a BIG bullet....
by GoFirstClass
04/20/14 12:09 PM
New Furnace
by Lowrider78
04/19/14 08:20 AM
Electrical problem 1990 fourwinns
by baseballdad
04/17/14 05:47 PM
Boat Insurance
by J&J
04/17/14 01:25 PM
Cuddy/Express w/Outboard power
by Capn Morgan
04/17/14 07:35 AM
For the man who has everything.
by MarkHB
04/16/14 09:11 PM
Craftsman 6500 Tool Box
by Lambert Laker
04/15/14 10:06 PM
Garage Dimesnions For 23' to 25' Runabout?
by Dock Holiday
04/14/14 04:32 PM
Raystown 2015
by On Holiday
04/14/14 09:49 AM

Who's Online
0 registered (), 30 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
tim53944, jimmytheboater, baseballdad, Dwntwn_KY, What_Now
5168 Registered Users
Forum Stats
5168 Members
22 Forums
36064 Topics
546609 Posts

Max Online: 188 @ 09/17/13 03:07 AM