Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#398719 - 04/20/08 07:58 PM '77 OMC Stringer Tilt Problems  
Phill Offline
Lieutenant JG
Phill  Offline
Lieutenant JG

Boise, ID
I have a '77 Marlin with a 190 Horse OMC Stringer Drive.

So now, I am having tilt problems....have to pray for the thing to go up or grab a 9/16 socket wrench and do it by hand...

So I grabbed the service manual, ordered a new tilt motor and tore the tilt unit appart...Gear case was full of brown gook and water...even the motor had water in it....

Good new is, everything is in great shape...no rust on the gears...hammer blow coupling is in good condition, yada yada...

Tearing appart the clutch would require a trip to harbor freight tools to buy a hydraulic press, which I really don't want to buy yet. (half tempted to just buy it anyways... as I could drum up some uses for it)

Could I get by with simply soaking the clutch pack in Brakleen, letting it dry, and then soaking in 30 weight oil???

All I really want to do is order a seal kit, reseal the thing, and install a new motor... From the looks of it, that should take care of things for the next five or so years (what I want to get out of this boat).

I will buy a rebuild kit for the old motor and rebuild it for a spare...

1977 18' Marlin OMC/Ford 302 Stringer Drive
2003 F-150 Supercab 4x4 5.4L

A Word from Our Sponsors
#398761 - 04/20/08 10:22 PM Re: '77 OMC Stringer Tilt Problems [Re: Phill]  
CJS Offline
Admiral
CJS  Offline
Admiral

Lake Geneva, WI
Phil,

Are you talking about the worm gear tilt system? I've rebuilt an '81-vintage stringer tilt twice and never needed to use a press to get the thing working again. Usually, what goes is the rubber bump-stops which crumble and let the drive under-trim to the point of misalignment, leading to a locked situation. Can you clarify or provide pics of what you think the problem is?

2017 Yamaha VX Cruiser HO
2017 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4X4
2016 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4X4
#398782 - 04/20/08 10:56 PM Re: '77 OMC Stringer Tilt Problems [Re: CJS]  
Phill Offline
Lieutenant JG
Phill  Offline
Lieutenant JG

Boise, ID
Yes, I am refering to the worm gear tilt system.
The select trim on my boat works great...and I usually keep it in the center so I don't have to mess with it...and cause it to break...

I started experiencing problems with the tilt unit, so I took it appart.
The gear case leaked clear water! The oil in the case was a milky sludge. I even found oil and water in the motor!

The parts seem to be in good shape....looks to me, like I just need to reseal it and replace the tilt motor with a new one.

I am asking about the clutch pack...I would like to clean it off in solvent, but really do not want to disassemble it...

Thinking about taking it and soaking/washing it in lantern fuel or Brakleen...letting it dry, then soaking it in 30 weight oil before reassmbling it. Wondering if this an OK way to go about it?...looks like a real pain in the keyster to take the clutch pack appart...

My other concern is the oil seal on the external clutch pack shaft... I have an automotive disk brake seal driver...would this work to re-install it?

Also, does the Sierra seal kit come with this oil seal?

I do not see a rubber bumper at the bottom of the drive...There are three bumpers on the thing...the one at the top of the upper unit, and the two steering bumpers...all are in fine shape.

Also, the seloc Manual refers to a nylon washer...I can't find one...

According to the Seloc manual, the hammer blow coupling is supposed to prevent a locked situation....of course, I want to go easy with it as a new hammer blow coupling is about $120 and very hard to find. The one one mine is in fine shape though.

#398829 - 04/21/08 08:06 AM Re: '77 OMC Stringer Tilt Problems [Re: Phill]  
CJS Offline
Admiral
CJS  Offline
Admiral

Lake Geneva, WI
It's been a long time since I've seen this drive, at least 10 years, and the repairs I did on it were done a couple years before that boat went the way of the dinosaur. I can't remember anything about a clutch, per se, but the nylon washers are thin clear plastic. They're hard to see when they're new and I recall them not being present during one of the repairs. Sorry I can't be more help.

2017 Yamaha VX Cruiser HO
2017 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4X4
2016 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4X4
#399241 - 04/22/08 04:14 PM Re: '77 OMC Stringer Tilt Problems [Re: CJS]  
lvikingm Offline
Vice Admiral
lvikingm  Offline
Vice Admiral

Gallatin,Mo.
If you can find a OLD OMC guy there was a kit available to help with the lock up&down issue !! The clutch pack had a screw that you adjusted to allow for a little slip when the operator rode the switch up or down too long, it helped a little, what people don't know is that when water leaks into the clutch pack area ,the pack swells and will get too rigid. GOOD LUCK

Larry
#400451 - 04/26/08 09:18 PM Re: '77 OMC Stringer Tilt Problems [Re: lvikingm]  
Phill Offline
Lieutenant JG
Phill  Offline
Lieutenant JG

Boise, ID
Tore apart the gearbox, and degreased the parts and housing. I did not tear the clutchpack appart. I just rinsed it off with Brakleen, dried it off and soaked it in 30 weight motor oil.

Installed new sleals, included a new oil seal (the original was worn almost beyond recognition. Reasembled the whole deal and was able to turn the wormgear shaft easily with a screwdriver (required a tiny bit of tourq...but their was no binding )

Cleaned the hammer blow coupler and oiled it....

Replaced the motor with a new one (the original was full of milky oil)

The drive tilt now works better than it ever did. No more praying for it to go up or down smile

Job took about 1 hour...not bad.

Instead of filling the gearcase with oil, I packed half of it with marine grease, oput the cover on, and filled the remainder with 30 weight oil. Saw this suggested on a few other forums while searching around. Supposedly, this helps to keep the water out, and the unit fucntioning longer.

#400478 - 04/26/08 11:51 PM Re: '77 OMC Stringer Tilt Problems [Re: Phill]  
Hermione Offline
Vice Admiral
Hermione  Offline
Vice Admiral

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Had the same problem with mine. Previous owner did too. He drilled a drain plug in the bottom of the housing cover so it could be drained or inspected without removing the cover. I had to replace the motor too - same sludge in the housing/motor. I found that it was binding at the 'shaft' that seats inside the inspection cover. When I put a slightly thicker seal on the cover, it fixed the problem. No problems since - 3 years now. I must check on it though.
Sorry, not to technical of a description.

1977 Century 200TR Bowrider "Hermione" (OMC Stringer, Ford 190 Hp)
2009 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie

http://www.engraver1.com/abc/62.jpg
#400479 - 04/27/08 12:30 AM Re: '77 OMC Stringer Tilt Problems [Re: Hermione]  
Phill Offline
Lieutenant JG
Phill  Offline
Lieutenant JG

Boise, ID
I read somewhere that the gearbox cover gasket acts as a shim.

Anyhow, I think I will just check the gearbox oil every few times I go out and see if it is milky or not...Will rebuild the old motor as a future spare.

Anyhow, nice to see that someone else runs a stringer. Have had this boat for two months now (the first boat that I have actually owned), and I am beginning to find that the stringer drive is not so bad, if you know how to use it properly and maintain it. I think that is part of the reason these drives have such a bad reputation....

The ball gear setup and the electric shift is actually a fairly simple design...and the turning radius is really nice. My boat will turn on a dime.

A newer boat with the same features and power would run me around $10-$30K and I would rather put that money into my IRA.
Maybe one day I will get a new boat...when I need to spend my kid's inheritance cool

#400601 - 04/27/08 08:22 PM Re: '77 OMC Stringer Tilt Problems [Re: Phill]  
Hermione Offline
Vice Admiral
Hermione  Offline
Vice Admiral

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
I was worried at first too. This is my first boat. I test drove and bought it the first day I was out looking for a boat. My friends said "Oh not an OMC stringer". I had no idea. Been really happy with it for 4 or 5 years now.
No problems yet finding parts or mechanics to work on it. Mine also turns almost within the length of the boat!
Best part is that since it is not a new boat, I can run it up on the beach with no worries about scratching pristine gelcoat.
I'm paying for my two girls' daycare instead of making boat payments and I'm still out on the same water with those more expensive boats.

1977 Century 200TR Bowrider "Hermione" (OMC Stringer, Ford 190 Hp)
2009 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie

http://www.engraver1.com/abc/62.jpg

Moderated by  Admin 

Sponsors
New Topics
VHF Radio
by Siuslaw57. 04/10/21 08:38 PM
Towing 30ft boats with a Lexus
by MarkHB. 04/10/21 03:18 PM
Boat Raft-up Product
by athiker. 04/08/21 12:08 PM
Ohhhhhhhhh boy (aka: fml) HELP Sheared off the drain plug f
by Jennifromthadock. 04/04/21 03:31 PM
Monterey vs Chaparral
by Siuslaw57. 04/03/21 01:42 PM
Scratching my head... Volvo Penta 4.3 sx Won’t crank
by Jennifromthadock. 04/03/21 08:23 AM
April 2 is a good day.
by Jack T. 04/03/21 02:03 AM
Something interesting to read this weekend--
by Frantically Relaxing. 04/02/21 08:26 PM
Rip Rap along shoreline
by MarkHB. 04/01/21 07:07 PM
You're gonna lose a TON of money when you sell it
by GoFirstClass. 03/31/21 07:57 PM
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 38 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AdamZampa, Tunachick, Siuslaw57, Jennifromthadock, Carolyn
5552 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23
Topics37,461
Posts566,352
Members5,552
Most Online252
Aug 5th, 2017