Rate This Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#315857 - 05/24/07 11:25 PM Hi Folks! Great website! Need help deciding on a  
niceguymr Offline
Warrant Officer
niceguymr  Offline
Warrant Officer

FL
Hi all. I've been lurking for about a week and I'm finally posting. My name is David and my fiance and I have been boat shopping recently. We originally were going to go with a small 24' cabin cruiser, but we decided what we'd enjoy more would be a bowrider style in the same length give or take a foot or two.

Here's the problem. She likes the whole sunbathing in the bow thing. We went to a dealer and she fell in love with the Sea Ray Sundeck's 240 bow seating, and I can't blame her much. They are super comfortable. But I wan't something with a better hull that can handle the rough chop and occasional off shore excursion. I realize that the Sea Ray Sundecks have a good design for that purpose, but I'd like to see other alternatives.

So basically, what I'd like to know is who else makes good deckboats with bowrider type hulls that can handle rougher water better? Sea Ray can't be the only one, right? Other criteria include 22-26' and priced at most where Sea Rays are priced (which is already over our limit)

Oh.. Oh.. would definitely like to have even a modest head and shower in head and transom.... and extended dive platform and transom entry.

Last edited by niceguymr; 05/25/07 08:08 AM.
A Word from Our Sponsors
#315870 - 05/25/07 01:41 AM Re: Hi Folks! Great website! Need help deciding on a [Re: niceguymr]  
prober Offline
Admiral
prober  Offline
Admiral

Eastern Washington
As far as going offshore,an open bow boat is only going to be comfortable in fair weather. Haveing said that, the SeaRay,Chapperall, fourwynns, Regal, Bryant are going to be fairly similar in the size of waves they can safely navigate. A 24' boat of that type will handle moderate weather fairly well, in fact it will probably handle quite a bit more than you will be comfortable with.

There will be differences in ride and generally a heavier boat will ride better than a real light boat.

You might consider finding a well kept older 22' or so and use it for a year. If it is in good shape when you buy it, it won't lose too much value and at the end of a season or two you will have a clearer idea of what type and size boat you really want. A five year old boat is not really going to lose much value in a year so it might be a good way for you to get out there and learn what you want/need without spending a ton of money. Boats depreciate fastest in the first three years and then it slows down quite a bit. Just a thought.

Regardless of what you buy you should find the power sqaudron in your area and take a safe boaters course now before you buy. Not only will you know how to safely operate and navigate your new boat but it might help with the type of boat you want to look at also.

Good luck and happy hunting.

#315874 - 05/25/07 02:04 AM Re: Hi Folks! Great website! Need help deciding on a [Re: niceguymr]  
KCook Offline
Admiral
KCook  Offline
Admiral

Phoenix
 Quote:
But I wan't something with a better hull that can handle the rough chop and occasional off shore excursion.

Better than the Sundancer cruiser?!?! That requirement pretty much rules out deckboats in general. Hull designs "better" than a cruiser for offshore would be fishing brands such as Grady-White and performance brands such as Formula. Either of which will be a whole lot more $$ than the typical deckboat.

So I'm really confused as to what your expectations are
Kelly

#315891 - 05/25/07 07:15 AM Re: Hi Folks! Great website! Need help deciding on a [Re: KCook]  
Boomer 880 Offline
Admiral
Boomer 880  Offline
Admiral

Lincolnshire, IL
We have a new Formula 260 bowrider and love it. Owned and rode in a lot of boats over the years. The Formula is a great riding boat, solid, and uses the best materials. Pricing is similar to Sea Ray (need to do a good job negotiating), but performs better IMO. I looked at everything in this class (yes, there are a lot to see) and this boat fit OUR needs the best.

Take your time and go on several demo rides. The ride of boats varies greatly, so only you can tell what meets your needs. Have fun shopping.

2006 Formula 260BR, BIII, Merc 496 MAG, Prestige Trailer
#315892 - 05/25/07 07:19 AM Re: Hi Folks! Great website! Need help deciding on a [Re: KCook]  
Sam's Dad Offline
Ensign
Sam's Dad  Offline
Ensign

SC
Have you looked at the Hurricane Sundecks?

Hurricane 217 O/B
150 Honda
#315896 - 05/25/07 07:32 AM Re: Hi Folks! Great website! Need help deciding on a [Re: Sam's Dad]  
Bowline Offline
Boatless in LV
Bowline  Offline
Boatless in LV
Admiral

Las Vegas, NV
Do yourself and your fiance a favor; look at the Cobalts. The bow seats in the Cobalts are the best designed (IMO) over all of the comeptitors. I shopped around and know of what I speak. Also, their hulls are really great for cutting chop.

Last edited by Bowline; 05/25/07 07:32 AM.

2001 Cobalt 206, 280hp V/P DP - SOLD
2003 Toyota 4-Runner Ltd
#315902 - 05/25/07 08:10 AM Re: Hi Folks! Great website! Need help deciding on a [Re: KCook]  
niceguymr Offline
Warrant Officer
niceguymr  Offline
Warrant Officer

FL
 Originally Posted By: KCook
 Quote:
But I wan't something with a better hull that can handle the rough chop and occasional off shore excursion.

Better than the Sundancer cruiser?!?!

No, I meant better than a Sundeck 240. Sorry, my bad. I just edited the original post.

#315904 - 05/25/07 08:13 AM Re: Hi Folks! Great website! Need help deciding on a [Re: KCook]  
Opus Offline
Admiral
Opus  Offline
Admiral

NW Arkansas
 Originally Posted By: KCook
 Quote:

Better than the Sundancer cruiser?!?! That requirement pretty much rules out deckboats in general. Hull designs "better" than a cruiser for offshore would be fishing brands such as Grady-White and performance brands such as Formula. Either of which will be a whole lot more $$ than the typical deckboat.

So I'm really confused as to what your expectations are
Kelly

I think he meant Sundeck, rather than Sundancer. \:\)

The Sea Ray Sundeck line is marketed as a deckboat. But, their hulls are more like a bowrider than a deckboat. If I recall correctly Kelly, you prefer a "real" deckboat.

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most".
#315905 - 05/25/07 08:14 AM Re: Hi Folks! Great website! Need help deciding on a [Re: Opus]  
Opus Offline
Admiral
Opus  Offline
Admiral

NW Arkansas
Ooops, niceguymr must have posted his clarification while I was composing my reply.....

Nevermind..... \:\)

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most".
#315936 - 05/25/07 10:41 AM Re: Hi Folks! Great website! Need help deciding on a [Re: niceguymr]  
KCook Offline
Admiral
KCook  Offline
Admiral

Phoenix
Well, most deckboats would be hard pressed to say their rough water ride is even equal to the Sundecks. For truly "better", I think you've just moved up out of the deckboat category. There are catamaran fishing boats by Glacier Bay and Worldcat that have a cockpit layout very similar to a deckboat. And they could be expected to ride better than a Sundeck. But these catamarans are not normally termed "deckboat". And they are plenty expensive to boot.

Kelly

#315954 - 05/25/07 11:57 AM Re: Hi Folks! Great website! Need help deciding on a [Re: KCook]  
athiker Offline
Admiral
athiker  Offline
Admiral

Lake Norman, NC
Its been a few years since we shopped but the Maxum line of deckboats struck us as having more of a bowrider hull. Same mfg as Sea Ray is probably why, but the price point is usually easier on the wallet.

It looks like they have a 21' and 24' now, we only looked at the 21'. Perhaps you can go for the bigger size for the same as the smaller Sea Ray?

Maxum Sport Decks

2000 Cobalt 206 5.7L EFI Alpha 1
#315974 - 05/25/07 01:08 PM Re: Hi Folks! Great website! Need help deciding on a [Re: athiker]  
GoFirstClass Offline
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Offline
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
ng,

There are a few factors that will affect how a boat rides in choppy waters. As Kelly mentioned, weight is one factor--the heavier a boat is the less it bounces and the more comfortable it will be.

Another is bow angle. Boats with a sharp bow angle will slice through a wave better than boats with a less-sharp entry angle. Compare this photo with a bass boat bow and you'll see two extremes of bow angle.

Another is a term called "deadrise". Simply stated, deadrise (measured in angles) is the angle that the hull "rises" as it moves away from the centerline. In the photo below, the angle formed by where line "B" meets the side of the hull. The bigger that angle, the higher the degrees of deadrise.

The higher the degree of deadrise, the less the boat will pound on a choppy sea. The greater angle allows the boat to ease it's way into a wave rather than slap down against it.

I haven't look at the Sea Ray deckboats, but most SR's are built with 20-21 degree of deadrise. That's about as much as you will find on any manufacturer's similar style boat. Other manufacturers' deadrise numbers vary from about 16 degrees to about 22 degrees.

None of these factors, by itself, would make a boat ride better than another. It's the combination of factors, plus the design of the hull itself, that will determine how a boat rides.

I agree with Prober's comments about finding a good, used 22' boat for your first boat purchase. At this point you don't really know what you want or how the boat will be used. If you buy a boat that doesn't suit your needs well, and you bought a new boat, it could cost you dearly to get out of it within the first couple of years. A boat that's 4-5 years old has passed the years when it takes the biggest depreciation hits so it won't cost you as much to get out of it.

Another important rule to keep in mind....the "wrong" boat at the best price in the world is still the "wrong" boat. Attractive pricing does not make the wrong boat suit your needs better.

"Beachcomber" 1995 Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge

Anchor's down......Bottoms Up!
#315977 - 05/25/07 01:16 PM Re: Hi Folks! Great website! Need help deciding on a [Re: GoFirstClass]  
nyminute Offline
CEO Migraine Distributors
nyminute  Offline
CEO Migraine Distributors
Admiral

Lake Wawasee, Indiana
http://www.harriskayot.com

Don't know if they have a franchise in your area, they are well built deck boats, Closely resemble a Crownline BR.

Its a matter of degrees from being up on your luck to down on your knees
#315978 - 05/25/07 01:17 PM Re: Hi Folks! Great website! Need help deciding on a [Re: GoFirstClass]  
trout Offline
Admiral
trout  Offline
Admiral

Coastal SC
are you using it in coastal waters?

have you looked at any crownlines?

your original posts reads about like mine have. we somehow went from deckboat shopping to a CC fishing boat.

If you are coastal and think you might want to venture offshore in the future, I'd look at some dual consoles as well. most or going to be more fishing oriented, but many are very family friendly setups. keywest 225 DC has plenty of room in the bow.

07 Pioneer sportfish
http://www.pioneerownersclub.com
#364703 - 12/14/07 12:43 PM Re: Hi Folks! Great website! Need help deciding on a [Re: trout]  
Capn Morgan Offline
Scallywag
Capn Morgan  Offline
Scallywag
Admiral

West Michigan
Well ????? What did you decide ??

Yes, this is a great website, but it's even better when a post is started, and it gets updated by the original poster. You got plenty of good responses to your question, at least give us an update.

Inquiring minds want to know.

2004 Chaparral 235 SSi
[Linked Image]
#364716 - 12/14/07 01:25 PM Re: Hi Folks! Great website! Need help deciding on a [Re: Capn Morgan]  
patrick232 Offline
Admiral
patrick232  Offline
Admiral

Hilliard, OH
Capn, got a little time one your hands today?

Check our our Condo on Norris Lake for your next vacation
http://www.norrislakecondo.com/
2014 Moomba Mondo
2013 Suburban
2015 Duramax
#364720 - 12/14/07 01:34 PM Re: Hi Folks! Great website! Need help deciding on a [Re: patrick232]  
Capn Morgan Offline
Scallywag
Capn Morgan  Offline
Scallywag
Admiral

West Michigan
 Originally Posted By: patrick232
Capn, got a little time one your hands today?

A little, I had started a post about how many members were listed with zero posts, 1 post, and 2 posts. I was amazed.
But I thought better of it and deleted it before hitting submit.

It is a pet peave of mine (obviously) when people ask for help, get good sincere advise, and then just bolt. Nothing we can do about it, but it is a shame. Like that Navy guy from SoCal that posted a few weeks ago. Lots of helpful advise given, no updates from him/her yet.

I found this place a few years ago when I had a problem and some questions with our boat. The responce and help were awesome. And because of that, I have stayed. BABC may not be everyones' cup of tea, but I sure like it here.

2004 Chaparral 235 SSi
[Linked Image]
#364725 - 12/14/07 01:42 PM Re: Hi Folks! Great website! Need help deciding on a [Re: Capn Morgan]  
KCook Offline
Admiral
KCook  Offline
Admiral

Phoenix
The driveby posts are always disappointing. But very, very common. Sez sumthin about human nature I suppose

yer rambler

#364731 - 12/14/07 01:57 PM Re: Hi Folks! Great website! Need help deciding on a [Re: KCook]  
WaterMutt Offline
Bilge Rat
WaterMutt  Offline
Bilge Rat
Admiral

Massachusetts
I've quit responding to the "Which boat should I buy" posts. If you are going to rely on others to pick the right boat for you, you should do a little more research yourself. I typically pay attention to the posts that are more general in nature asking about certain features, or overalls. I can't stand the "Should I buy brand X Model Y or Brand A Model B?"

Malibu Wakesetter 23XTI
Bryant 214 Limited (gone, but not forgotten)

"That's my boat..."
-Forest Gump

#364834 - 12/15/07 07:03 AM Re: Hi Folks! Great website! Need help deciding on a [Re: WaterMutt]  
tpenfield Offline
Admiral
tpenfield  Offline
Admiral

Cape Cod, MA
I second WaterMutt's opinion on boat recommendations. With SO MANY boat manufacturers to choose from it is hardly a field that can be narrowed down to anything meaningful, particularly to say what would work out for someone else.

For the kinds of questions that usually get asked - i.e. ride & quality - you can figure these things out for yourself by doing the following tabulations:

1) List similar sized boats by their MSRP - that is a good lead into quality and brand reputation.

2) List boats by their deadrise and weight - this will give you a good idea of which boats handle rougher water better.

The rest is personal preference (features & amenities), which you can figure out for yourself by going to a couple of boat shows.

Regards, Ted

Formula 330SS

My Boat Web Sites
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Admin 

Sponsors
New Topics
New Fishy Boat From Regal - 33 SAV
by Dock Holiday. 02/22/18 11:03 PM
"What is wrong" was asked........
by GoFirstClass. 02/19/18 11:00 PM
Volvo Round the World Yacht Race
by MarkHB. 02/17/18 08:42 PM
iPad Navagation Apps
by MarkHB. 02/17/18 08:29 PM
Ahoy! Long time no see. Boat shopping.
by Cycleboater. 02/15/18 01:40 PM
JD Powers most dependable cars
by Frantically Relaxing. 02/14/18 06:32 PM
Cruise Help?
by casualboater. 02/12/18 10:48 PM
Yamaha 200 vs Evinrude 150 Comparison
by Jack T. 02/11/18 09:13 PM
Millennials... were WE that scary?
by Frantically Relaxing. 02/11/18 07:58 PM
USS Arizona
by GoFirstClass. 02/10/18 07:17 PM
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 71 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Lofty, Csaba, Bflotim1, RogerKlotz, Lumpkins
5432 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23
Topics37,106
Posts561,721
Members5,432
Most Online252
Aug 5th, 2017