Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#249496 - 07/04/06 07:27 PM Admiral 1st time at helm - EVER - lesson learned  
TonyD Offline
Ensign
TonyD  Offline
Ensign

Goffstown, NH
Well july 4th and we brought her Parents, her sister, sisters son and one of his friends. Total there were 8 on board. Leaving the slip was no problem 3 kids W/ lifejackets on and all passengers seated. Got to the sandbar on Winnisquam and dropped anchors. Finally time to leave...now the fun begins. Again 3 kids W/ lifejackets on all adults but me in boat. Since the water is very shallow there I just walk to the anchors and place them in the boat. The admiral wants to drive. I hop in and sit in the front. " go for it sweets" i say. She turns the key the engine cranks but doesnt start. I have her try it again. Same thing. And yet again. So I am thinking Hmmmmm the radio and fish finder/depth gage was on all day maybe the batt doesn't have enough juice. So I hop off and go around back select battery 2 and move way out of the way. I have her try it again. Same deal cranks but no start. She tells me the batt gage shows 13 to 14 volts. OK what the heck. I have never had any trouble before. Still not thinking straight I continued to tbl shoot. Checking the Batt connections the fuses popped the cover off the outboard checked it out. looked OK but then again I'm no boat mechanic. checked the "bulb" was stiff indicating fuel was OK. she tried it again nope no luck. HHmmmmm Now the boaters around us are starting to come over to assist. The gent next to us was looking for jumper cables while another brought over a jump pac. Tried the jump pack nothing different. OK what else could it be........ " sweets are you sure the throttle is in neutral?" After several explanations by me and much throttle moving and dirty looks by the admiral I was convinced it WAS in neutral. She tried to start it again and nothing cranked but would'nt turn over. now I'm thinking RATS maybe its the neutral switch. I do electrinics for a living so bypassing it for a day is no big deal but not something i want to do right now if I can help it. Then I think what could have happened from the time I shut it off to when The admiral tried to start it. DOH that s it its got to be something she is doing other than the throttle. I hop on board finally; plug in the safety clip turn the key and the boat starts right up!! She didn't know about the safety clip! My fault for assuming and not going through the "list". I thanked everyone for their efforts and left. Now the admiral wants to try to dock for the first time. She did pretty well actually no real story there. ( thank god no one was in the slip on our port side however) that would have been a nightmare.

So moral of the story is: Even though the admiral doesnt want to hear it go through the complete set of procedures before you start. Also dont assume double check yourself when in doubt.

-Tony D

Tony D
'04 Playbouy Pontoon
'05 Ram 1500 QC 4x4
(yeah it's got a Hemi)
#249497 - 07/04/06 08:17 PM Re: Admiral 1st time at helm - EVER - lesson learned  
Ladybugskater Offline
Admiral
Ladybugskater  Offline
Admiral

Ogden, Utah
And how many shades of red was your Admiral??

Proud Snowboard Mom of LLBS
Weber State University Snowboard club Mom of LLBS
Wasatch Project Team rider-LLBS
scrapbookingfun4u.myctmh.com
#249498 - 07/04/06 08:24 PM Re: Admiral 1st time at helm - EVER - lesson learned  
TonyD Offline
Ensign
TonyD  Offline
Ensign

Goffstown, NH
Several shades is an understatement! She kept saying how embarassing it was. I told her to cheer up she just made that particular 4th very memorable to all who were there. Now everyone else has another good story to tell their other boating friends! She didn't think it was too funny.

-tony d

Tony D
'04 Playbouy Pontoon
'05 Ram 1500 QC 4x4
(yeah it's got a Hemi)
#249499 - 07/04/06 08:48 PM Re: Admiral 1st time at helm - EVER - lesson learned  
Doray's Girl Offline
Vice Admiral
Doray's Girl  Offline
Vice Admiral

Steubenville, Oh
You go girl ! And keep asking to take the helm. You never know when you will be needed. As a female captain and usually solo, I could not imagine docking with a whole crew on board. Kudos to ya!

And, here's one for you.... on the boat I have (left to me as dad passed away and brother has his own boat).... Last summer, Dad still living but out on the town and the guys from the marina call because the river is rising and they want to take the boats from their slips and put them on land. I call brother and tell him to go move the boat. He is a mechanic and can fix anything and has had his own boats.

It's pouring and everyone is trying to get to the ramp and bro cannot start the boat, He tries everything, checks everything, starts getting into engine, etc. He just forgot one thing.. the Bayliner has a small red RUN switch on the throttle........

So, never be embarrassed!

"If you aren't living on the edge, then you're taking up too much space"
1997 2655 Bayliner (hers)
2007 Mercedes C280 (hers)
1999 Chevy Silverado (hers)
2003 Buick Rendezvous (his)
Kayak (his)
#249500 - 07/05/06 07:21 AM Re: Admiral 1st time at helm - EVER - lesson learned  
Boatsrule Offline
Admiral
Boatsrule  Offline
Admiral

Paw Paw/Vicksburg Michigan, GO...
Cool she wants to drive.

When we get a new boat it will be hard to remember that safety clip, as ours does not have one.

-----------------------------------

#249501 - 07/05/06 08:00 AM Re: Admiral 1st time at helm - EVER - lesson learned  
Philr Offline
Admiral
Philr  Offline
Admiral

Rock Island, IL
Tony - Tell the Adm not to be embarrassed. I once towed my friend one lock and some distance, only to have the mechanic discover the same thing in about 2 minutes. Neither he nor I thought to check that. Doh!

It's good she wants to learn to operate the boat - can she back a trailer?

'08 Chaparral 246SSi VP5.7GXiDP

My wife says that I spend too much time talking to random people online. What do you guys think?
#249502 - 07/05/06 09:01 AM Re: Admiral 1st time at helm - EVER - lesson learned  
BrianFD Offline
Vice Admiral
BrianFD  Offline
Vice Admiral

Buckeye Lake
Tell her not to be so hard on herself... that's YOUR job, LOL!

Glad it wasn't anything more serious!

THIS is what boatin's all about!
#249503 - 07/05/06 09:08 AM Re: Admiral 1st time at helm - EVER - lesson learned  
bratts Offline
Vice Admiral
bratts  Offline
Vice Admiral

Schaumburg,Il
Tony, that is awesome that you let her drive and encouarge her. In an emergency it is good to have a secondary driver, plus as USMC can attest, it is nice to sit back and relax sometimes and just enjoy the view...o.k. he likes looking outside the boat too! ;\)

And tell her NEVER be embarrassed, EVERYONE has a "funny" story!

Quitters never win.
#249504 - 07/05/06 09:25 AM Re: Admiral 1st time at helm - EVER - lesson learned  
Jeffski Offline
Wingman
Jeffski  Offline
Wingman
Admiral

Michigan
Well I just bought a new battery because I forgot about the stupid safety clip so she shouldn't feel too bad about it. At least her mistake was free.

2009 Four Winns SL 242
Searching for that "One Particular Harbor."
#249505 - 07/05/06 11:44 AM Re: Admiral 1st time at helm - EVER - lesson learned  
TonyD Offline
Ensign
TonyD  Offline
Ensign

Goffstown, NH
Jeffski, I spit the coke I was drinking through my nose when I read that. I dont think it was THAT funny but struck me as super funny at first.

As far as backing a trailer...AAAHHHhhhh well lets just say I am glad we finally got a slip this year. Its a lot of work to load the boat, hook it up to the truck drive the 45 mins, pay the launch fee, wait in line, prep for launch, back down, launch the boat, tie off the boat, park the truck/trailer, and cast off. Now its drive up park next to the boat, load, start and cast off. Mind you all the time I spend with the boat the Admiral has our 2 year old and usually some friends that dont have a clue about what I am doing. So the slip is the way to go!! We will be out Friday, Sat, and Sunday. 3 more days of practice!

-Tony

Tony D
'04 Playbouy Pontoon
'05 Ram 1500 QC 4x4
(yeah it's got a Hemi)
#249506 - 07/05/06 02:57 PM Re: Admiral 1st time at helm - EVER - lesson learned  
woosterken Offline
Admiral
woosterken  Offline
Admiral

Wooster ohio
WOHA!! What is thte old saying "let he with no sins cast the first stone"
remember there are two types of boaters those that have made a mistake and those that have not YET :p
Ken

1974 MFG gypsy
1995 F150 4X4

Moderated by  Admin 

Sponsors
New Topics
New Fishy Boat From Regal - 33 SAV
by Dock Holiday. 02/22/18 11:03 PM
"What is wrong" was asked........
by GoFirstClass. 02/19/18 11:00 PM
Volvo Round the World Yacht Race
by MarkHB. 02/17/18 08:42 PM
iPad Navagation Apps
by MarkHB. 02/17/18 08:29 PM
Ahoy! Long time no see. Boat shopping.
by Cycleboater. 02/15/18 01:40 PM
JD Powers most dependable cars
by Frantically Relaxing. 02/14/18 06:32 PM
Cruise Help?
by casualboater. 02/12/18 10:48 PM
Yamaha 200 vs Evinrude 150 Comparison
by Jack T. 02/11/18 09:13 PM
Millennials... were WE that scary?
by Frantically Relaxing. 02/11/18 07:58 PM
USS Arizona
by GoFirstClass. 02/10/18 07:17 PM
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 67 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Lofty, Csaba, Bflotim1, RogerKlotz, Lumpkins
5432 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23
Topics37,106
Posts561,716
Members5,432
Most Online252
Aug 5th, 2017