Rate This Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#20247 - 02/10/04 08:21 PM Re: Negotiating tips for buying your new boat ****  
Diemsea Offline
Lieutenant Commander
Diemsea  Offline
Lieutenant Commander

Redmond, WA
I also worked out a deal prior to my winter boat show. I was deciding between 2 different boat makes and both dealers said that I would get any boat show specials and that if I felt there was a better deal at the boat show, they would rework my deal. The boat show incentives are typically available throughout the US winter boat show season. So yes, go ahead and ask for any additional boat show incentives. Especially since you haven't taken delivery yet.

2004 Cobalt 200 5.7Gi DP
2004 Toyota Sequoia
A Word from Our Sponsors
#20248 - 02/11/04 01:55 PM Re: Negotiating tips for buying your new boat  
Play Deep Offline
Admiral
Play Deep  Offline
Admiral

Northern Land of Lincoln
RodS - As a matter of reference for you, my new Four Winns just arrived last week. I had ordered it in October and told the dealer I wanted the 2+4. His price was "around $1,100". When he called to tell me the boat was in I asked him what he would charge me for the 2+4. He said since the boat show deals are going on that was what he would give me so I got a free 2+2 and paid $300 to extend it to 2+4. He just happens to be between boat shows so I think he was in a giving mood when it comes to extended warranty. If I was in your position I would play the boat show incentive deal heavily.

2004 Four Winns 194 Funship VP 5.0GXI DuoProp
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
2004 Toro 16-38HXL
#20249 - 02/23/04 10:38 AM Re: Negotiating tips for buying your new boat  
jjct1 Offline
Admiral
jjct1  Offline
Admiral

Lake Tapps
Another good place to find the value of you boat trade-in is through BoatUS's free value check. I have used it several times and it seems closer to the regional selling price than NADA.

http://www.boatus.com/buyer/valueform.htm

I think they get the values going against insurance claims/policies in your area.

2004 Mastercraft X-Star
2001 Kawasaki 900 STX
#20250 - 05/07/04 06:57 PM Re: Negotiating tips for buying your new boat  
MrMick Offline
Warrant Officer
MrMick  Offline
Warrant Officer

Sonoma, California
I was a total greenhorn when I bought my first--and so far, only--boat (a 1999 SeaRay BR210).

I *think* we got a good deal because we were:

A: Working with a good dealer (Marine Max in Santa Rosa, Calif.).
B. Working with an experience salesperson who was a boater himself.
B: Buying at the right time of year (March, 2000)
C: Buying a new '99 model that another customer had ordered, and then refused to take delivery of because it wound up being the wrong color.

I had intended to buy a smaller boat--was actually thinking of a 18-foot bowrider--but I fell in love with the BR-210. I think list price for boat, trailer and 5.7-liter Mercruiser was $32K, and we paid $27 (after a $1K factory rebate for buying a prior-year's model).

That price included a full tank of gas (48 gallons), all the safety gear (life jackets, fire extinguisher, etc.), and an orientation cruise on delivery. We also get a decent discount on anything we buy in the parts department.

Having said all that, we probably could have worked a better deal if we'd done more homework ahead of time and were better at negotiating. But I'm not unhappy.

I think the most important thing to remember about buying any big-ticket item is to build a relationship for after the sale. I don't mean to say that you should pay the dealer's asking price without negotiating, but it's not going to benefit you in the long run to pursue a scorched-earth policy, either.

1999 Sea Ray BR-210, 5.7L Alpha I
1999 GMC Sierra 1500, Z71
#20251 - 05/10/04 11:14 AM Re: Negotiating tips for buying your new boat  
GoFirstClass Online content
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Online Content
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
 Quote:
Originally posted by MrMick:
Having said all that, we probably could have worked a better deal if we'd done more homework ahead of time and were better at negotiating. But I'm not unhappy.... but it's not going to benefit you in the long run to pursue a scorched-earth policy, either.
Mr. Mick, you hit it right on the nose...If you are happy with the deal you got, then it was right for you. It doesn't matter if it was right for anyone else. And as my post said, if you haggle for the last possible nickle and leave a bad taste in the mouth of the dealer he's not going to reward you with good service as he might someone that he has warm fuzzy feelings for.

"Beachcomber" 1995 Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge

Anchor's down......Bottoms Up!
#20252 - 05/14/04 07:19 PM Re: Negotiating tips for buying your new boat  
MrMick Offline
Warrant Officer
MrMick  Offline
Warrant Officer

Sonoma, California
Ironically enough, I got laid off less than a year after we'd bought the boat. After struggling for almost a year to find another job in my field (journalism), I took a shot at being a car salesman.

Man, what an experience *that* was. I'd never had a high opinion of car salesmen, but after having been one for 18 months, I now understand how tough their job really is.

Of course, that doesn't change the fact that many of them are still a**holes, but the next time I buy a car, I won't start off with that point of view.

Happily for me, I'm back in my chosen field, editing a new computer magazine.

I still have the boat, of course.

1999 Sea Ray BR-210, 5.7L Alpha I
1999 GMC Sierra 1500, Z71
#20253 - 05/14/04 07:48 PM Re: Negotiating tips for buying your new boat  
Finger Lakes Boater Offline
Admiral
Finger Lakes Boater  Offline
Admiral

Takilma, Oregon
This is always a nice topic to revisit from time to time. Negotiating styles are all over the board, and dealers' approaches have just as much variability. That said, a GOOD relationship with a GOOD dealer can really add to your boating ease and pleasure. I'll vote with GFC here, MrMick. Getting that last dollar doesn't always pay.

Our dealer surprised us by making his initial price offer a couple of percentage points lower than our "won't go higher" price. Kinda took the wind out of my sails. Of course we whined a bit and got a few more goodies, but basically gave him what he was looking for. Pricing circumstances were uniquely in our favor (9-11 had recently destroyed the boating business, and we were first customer, first day of boat show--and a familiar face). But by not taking advantage, preserved a wonderful working relationship with the guy.

I think you did well. (And nice job on keeping the boat through the employment scare!) Gotta keep them priorities straight! \:\)

“I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of moneyed corporations which dare to challenge our government in a trial of strength, defy the laws of our country.” Thomas Jefferson "Corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will seek to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until the wealth is aggregated in the hands of a few, and the Republic is destroyed." Abraham Lincoln
#20254 - 05/29/04 02:19 AM Re: Negotiating tips for buying your new boat  
rhino Offline
Warrant Officer
rhino  Offline
Warrant Officer

Wyoming
Hey all! I'm new to this site but I thought I might add a little. Please see my story "BRAND NEW Larson from dealer-not NEW!" on other forum sites.

Anyway, this was our first boat purchase. I grew up boating while my wife only stood on shore and dreamed of it. We researched boats and dealers in our area for 3-4 years (we also were trying to convience ourselves that this is something we needed!) and went to our third winter boat show in as many years.

I recognized a perticular dealer as soon as we walked in and they carried the brand we liked (Larson). We went to buy a 19' bowrider. We are a family of four with 8 and 9 year old boys. We also have a Jeep Wrangler and a Jeep Cherokee so size and weight was an issue.

We spent two days decideing on the 19 footer we had gone to buy, but left with a 21 footer. All I had to say to my price-concious wife was "Think about five years from now...we'll still have this boat, the boys will be teenagers, with friends or girlfriends, and this 19 footer will be filled to the brim! 2 feet in a boat is huge and the weight wasn't an issue. Retail price was over $35,000 (260 HP Merc and loaded) but we got the "boat show special" price of 27,000. This seemed fair (at this time you should read our story). If you are in a place with a winter climate...buy during the cold season. Test run all summer, with good intentions of buying, and return to the dealer that was most helpful and carries the brand(s) you like in the winter. They need the money and the deserve to make a fair profit, but you deserve a good price and good service as well.

Rhino

"Dont go into the water, you just ate!"
#20255 - 06/01/04 06:26 PM Re: Negotiating tips for buying your new boat  
F14bombcat Offline
Admiral
F14bombcat  Offline
Admiral

Buffalo, NY
Rhino, welcome aboard!

Don't forget to check this out. ;\)
http://www.boatingabc.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/2234.html#000000

1995 Formula 303 SR-1, 454 MAGs
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
#20256 - 08/10/04 07:57 PM Re: Negotiating tips for buying your new boat  
fastboater Offline
Ensign
fastboater  Offline
Ensign

Can anybody put together a list of things to look for when buying a used boat?

#20257 - 08/10/04 08:19 PM Re: Negotiating tips for buying your new boat  
GoFirstClass Online content
Retired Boating Bum
GoFirstClass  Online Content
Retired Boating Bum
Grand Poobah

Pasco, WA
fastboater...this might be better posted as a new topic. I think you'd get more responses to it than you will here under this one.

GFC

"Beachcomber" 1995 Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge

Anchor's down......Bottoms Up!
#20258 - 10/03/04 11:38 PM Re: Negotiating tips for buying your new boat  
Alex D Offline
Ensign
Alex D  Offline
Ensign

Greensboro, NC
Since I have been shopping now for about a month, I can honestly say that all offers from dealers I have received (independent from each other and five different manufacturers dealers) are all magically about 20% under the sticker price for the craft.

Now until the end of Feb. is also of course the best time to buy ... after working through all this negotiating, I would suggest you should never pay more than retail minus 20%, unless it is a new model with high demand or you are buying in season.

Friends of mine just bought a brand new holdover 2003 model year 21 ft. deckboat for over 30% under list.

"Hau'Oli" - 2002 Sea Ray 340 Sundancer 8.1S
#20259 - 01/16/05 10:07 PM Re: Negotiating tips for buying your new boat  
captkevin Offline
Admiral
captkevin  Offline
Admiral

Chicago, IL
My suggestion is to shop around for best buy and give consideration to giving dealer has the most convienant location final shot. Bringing the boat to same dealer for service provides obvious advantages. If selling dealer is inconvient for service it might not be the great deal.

2004 Rinker 232
2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Laramie 4x4
#20260 - 07/11/05 02:47 PM Re: Negotiating tips for buying your new boat  
new2boating Offline
Warrant Officer
new2boating  Offline
Warrant Officer

southern California
This thread hasn't been active for a while but I just recently got the bug to purchase a boat for the first time. I'm not in a big hurry since I don't plan on taking delivery until next spring. The boat that I am interested is not available in the showroom. I was planning on ordering it outfitted just the way I want it. I am looking at the Tahoe 215cc.

My question is under these circumstances should I be paying near MSRP. The dealer that I have talked to so far said that there is very little profit on these boats and this is the going price. Obviously, I am free to order from a variety of dealers since any dealer can get the boat for me. Should I be looking at some discount off of the price.

Also, in all of the posts on this thread nobody indicated the price range of boats that they feel have are up for negotiation. Obviously there is more room to get a few thousand dollars of a $100,000+ boat then a $40,000 boat. Is there much room for negotiation on the price of boats that are less than $40,000.

Thanks in advance for the advice, Jeff

#20261 - 07/11/05 03:13 PM Re: Negotiating tips for buying your new boat  
Play Deep Offline
Admiral
Play Deep  Offline
Admiral

Northern Land of Lincoln
 Quote:
Originally posted by new2boating:
The dealer that I have talked to so far said that there is very little profit on these boats and this is the going price.
Run. Bye bye dealer.

2004 Four Winns 194 Funship VP 5.0GXI DuoProp
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
2004 Toro 16-38HXL
#20262 - 07/11/05 03:19 PM Re: Negotiating tips for buying your new boat  
Boatsrule Offline
Admiral
Boatsrule  Offline
Admiral

Paw Paw/Vicksburg Michigan, GO...
Like Play Deep Said! This guy is giving you a line!!

Try a dealer who would like to sell a boat! If this guy lies to a new buyer like he did you what will happen when you need dealer service?

Put them there running shoes on and run to another dealer!

Good luck

-----------------------------------

#20263 - 07/11/05 04:57 PM Re: Negotiating tips for buying your new boat  
Eric F Offline
Vice Admiral
Eric F  Offline
Vice Admiral

Kansas City / Stockton Lake, M...
I'm not so sure the dealer is lying in this case. I believe that Tahoe is one of the few brands that advertises (nationally) what their "real" price is, or at least pretty close to it. I'm sure the dealer has some leeway, but I've talked to a couple of different Tahoe dealers, and both were using the advertised price as their actual price.

And, the price generally seems to be in line with what you would expect to pay for the boat.

1994 Starcraft 2010SS
"MaƱana"
2004 Nissan Pathfinder
#20264 - 07/12/05 01:24 PM Re: Negotiating tips for buying your new boat  
Boatsrule Offline
Admiral
Boatsrule  Offline
Admiral

Paw Paw/Vicksburg Michigan, GO...
Eric,
I would still think some negotiating would be in order. Like a Coast Guard pkg. or extended warranty, free slip for the first season.

-----------------------------------

#20265 - 07/12/05 04:59 PM Re: Negotiating tips for buying your new boat  
Eric F Offline
Vice Admiral
Eric F  Offline
Vice Admiral

Kansas City / Stockton Lake, M...
Boatsrule -

Oh, absolutely...he should be able to negotiate a little something. Its just that in the case of Tahoe boats, I don't think its reasonable to expect the sizable percentage "discount off MSRP" like you expect to with most builders.

1994 Starcraft 2010SS
"MaƱana"
2004 Nissan Pathfinder
#20266 - 07/18/05 03:18 PM Re: Negotiating tips for buying your new boat  
Wachuko Offline
Lieutenant Commander
Wachuko  Offline
Lieutenant Commander

Orlando, FL
From the comments here and in the other post I made... here is what I have gather so far... included in the price you should have (depends on the size of the boat and what is standard for the boat you are buying... but this list gave me a good idea of what to ask for... thanks for the forum members that provided their comments):

1. Extended warranty - seems like 2 (standard)+ 4 (extended) for a total of 6 years is now the norm in terms of total years of warranty...
2. Trailer with brakes and a spare tire(if you need the trailer)
3. Safety equipment required by law... flare gun kit, PFDs, a throwable type IV PFD, fire extinguisher (B-I), whistle or air horn, firs aid kit, dewatering device (manual pump or a bucket)
4. Basic items needed... anchor and rode, fenders (at least two and make those a good size, not the small *** ones...) with their lines, dock lines
5. VHF radio (but check what they charge you for this... street prices and what the dealer charges can be quite different... in my case a 250.00 difference for the same radio). Antenna, Stainless steel antenna mount
6. Depending on the boat some electronics... GPS, depth finder
7. Flush kit
8. First service visit after break in period
9. Canvas and a mouring cover
10. Tie down boat strap... one for the back and one for the front... you should not rely on your trailer winch to do the holding...

others will surely continue to contribute to this thread...

Be Safe!
Jaime Diaz (a.k.a. Wachuko)

2006 Regal 2200 5.0 GXi
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Admin 

Sponsors
New Topics
Volvo brought back 30wt
by Silverbullet. 05/22/18 11:21 PM
Bilge Pump Question
by Tahoe220. 05/21/18 09:42 AM
I'm calling it now, outboards are equals!
by PhatboyC. 05/21/18 08:57 AM
Bunk Failure
by Dock Holiday. 05/20/18 09:54 AM
ridiculously good deal
by Dave R. 05/20/18 08:09 AM
Where are all the forums?
by deepv. 05/16/18 08:42 PM
HELP: Need help getting an owner's manual
by marcusky. 05/15/18 12:18 PM
First Mate Bought His First Car. Now Dilemma
by Justification. 05/12/18 11:12 AM
Cobalt 246 for sale.
by Silverbullet. 05/11/18 09:02 PM
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (GoFirstClass), 61 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
marcusky, Russellb, Shannon, canuckchick71, Captjim
5442 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23
Topics37,141
Posts562,319
Members5,443
Most Online252
Aug 5th, 2017