Your On-Line Port'o'Call

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#117 - 12/23/02 05:50 PM Deckboat, what to look at?  
seabuddy Offline
Admiral
seabuddy  Offline
Admiral

Thinking of a deckboat for this coming summer; I like the Four Winns 23'model. Any thoughts on what and what else to look for?

A Word from Our Sponsors
#118 - 12/25/02 04:19 AM Re: Deckboat, what to look at?  
boattogo Offline
Lieutenant Commander
boattogo  Offline
Lieutenant Commander

Across america, Chaparral reinvented the deckboat with their full size windshield and other features. Heard they have updated these again for 2003.

#119 - 12/25/02 05:52 AM Re: Deckboat, what to look at?  
seabuddy Offline
Admiral
seabuddy  Offline
Admiral

If you want to spend a little less, take a look at the Regal 2120 deck boat.

#120 - 12/25/02 03:16 PM Re: Deckboat, what to look at?  
wantabeonthewater Offline
Lieutenant JG
wantabeonthewater  Offline
Lieutenant JG

I think that Cobalt is the only deckboat that offers the same hull on their deckboat as their runabouts. Most change the hull shape which adds weight carrying ability but makes for a harder ride in the waves.

#121 - 12/25/02 07:37 PM Re: Deckboat, what to look at?  
Finger Lakes Boater Offline
Admiral
Finger Lakes Boater  Offline
Admiral

Takilma, Oregon
Have heard lots of good things about the ride of that Cobalt deck boat, but it's a fairly controversial look. What does everybody think of the "pickle fork" front end? I'm not used to it yet...

I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of moneyed corporations which dare to challenge our government in a trial of strength, defy the laws of our country. Thomas Jefferson "Corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will seek to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until the wealth is aggregated in the hands of a few, and the Republic is destroyed." Abraham Lincoln
#122 - 12/25/02 10:31 PM Re: Deckboat, what to look at?  
helpful boater Offline
Lieutenant
helpful boater  Offline
Lieutenant

It seems that there will be a selection of deckboats and near deckboats in the 20'-21' size this year at the shows.

In checking a few of them out, I find that they can look good at first blush, but if you really look at the room for the gang and all their needs, many of these are tight.

Do not let your budget steer you towards a undersized craft. Shop carefully between the next size up and the one that draws you towards it via a sharp price tag.

#123 - 12/25/02 11:11 PM Re: Deckboat, what to look at?  
helpful boater Offline
Lieutenant
helpful boater  Offline
Lieutenant

A tip of the hat goes to Hurricane Sundeck 260 deckboat. A most different boat model.

We should all stop by their booth at the boat show to see this one.

Try two 225 Hp (450 Hp total) outboard motors for power. A Side mounted but double wide full height Windshield. And a 135 gal fuel tank is standard.

A Very different deckboat.

http://www.godfreymarine.com/sundeckmain.htm#

and go down to the 260 Hurricane model.

#124 - 12/30/02 04:08 PM Re: Deckboat, what to look at?  
KCook Offline
Admiral
KCook  Offline
Admiral

Phoenix
Oh yeah. Like WE should tell seabuddy what boat to buy! \:D Funny thing is, there is a LOT more turmult, churning, whatever you want to call it, in the deckboat market than the bowrider market. New deckboat models come and go a lot more quickly than new bowrider models. Tooling up for a new deckboat cannot be cheap. And deckboat sales are still only a fraction of bowrider sales. So I dunno why deckboats are so volatile. Just this year several of my favorites have been discontinued. Weird.

Four Winns always builds nice boats. Their new deckboat styling for '03 just hits the wrong note for me. Another nice one in this size is the Crownline 239. Of course, sea trials should really decide it.

Chaparral has long been one of the main players in the deckboat market. But by NO means have they ever "reinvented the deckboat with their full size windshield"! \:\( The first deckboat with full size windshield was Splendor, not Chaparral. About a year after that Splendor model Chris Craft came out with their Sportdeck with full windshield. Then roughly 6 months after Chris Craft both Chaparral and Four Winns had their first deckboats with full windshield. Sounds to me like some Chaparral salesman has been blowing hot air. A LOT of hot air.

I agree with seabuddy on the Regal 2120. Very clean design. Never thought I would like a Regal, but there it is.

The best riding deckboat is almost certainly the World Class catamaran. Both Bayliner and Rinker tried to sell multihull deckboats. But this is tough against the old cathedral hull sterotype. You can still get cat style deckboats from HarrisKayot and VIP. Though I would not expect either of these to ride as well as the Rinker Flotilla. It appears Rinker has given up on deckboats for '03. Styling is everthing I guess.

IMHO that hammerhead bow used by both Cobalt and Mastercraft works better on the low slung Mastercraft. Bet anything the Cobalt model does not last more than 2 years in their catalog.

helpful boater is right again. There is now a much broader selection of deckboats in the 21-22 foot range than 23' and up. Big deckboats have a tough time competing against big bowriders. IMHO it is the 21-22 size that is ideal for the deckboat theme.

All of helpful boater's shopping tips are on the mark. Also be SURE to check the seating for how it fits your backside. Frankly even the most expensive deckboats can have wretched seat designs. I truly believe seat design is a much bigger issue than ride (even in rough water) when it comes to the deckboat vs bowrider comparison.

Enough for now?
Kelly Cook

#125 - 12/30/02 04:52 PM Re: Deckboat, what to look at?  
Admiral
Admiral

Takilma, Oregon
Thanks, Kelly. I agree with your estimation of Cobalt's deckboat design. I've looked it over and over, and it just doesn't look attractive. Maybe its just me, but I don't think it'll be a big seller.

I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of moneyed corporations which dare to challenge our government in a trial of strength, defy the laws of our country. Thomas Jefferson "Corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will seek to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until the wealth is aggregated in the hands of a few, and the Republic is destroyed." Abraham Lincoln
#126 - 12/30/02 09:44 PM Re: Deckboat, what to look at?  
hack job Offline
Warrant Officer
hack job  Offline
Warrant Officer

torrance , ca
you might look in to eliminators deck boat its pretty nice . or there is conquest. i think they are about the same mold. ;\) just my .02

#127 - 12/31/02 03:57 PM Re: Deckboat, what to look at?  
Admiral
Admiral

Takilma, Oregon
I haven't seen one "in the flesh", but those eliminator bow riders look terrific on their website. Any experience with them on ride and handling? I'm guessing you can power 'em up pretty good... \:D

#128 - 12/31/02 04:53 PM Re: Deckboat, what to look at?  
KCook Offline
Admiral
KCook  Offline
Admiral

Phoenix
Many of the west coast custom builders have offered a deckboat model at one time or another. In the '80s there were the "Whaler" style boats. An interesting hybrid between ye olde bowrider and a deckboat. Hull is the same as a bowrider, so technically you can't call this a deckboat. But the seating is very similar to a deckboat. Howard claims their's will flirt with 80mph with a 502. Can you imagine sitting in the bow of this thing at 80? > HOWARD 21 CUSTOM WHALER

Almost all custom deckboats are cats, not V-hulls. The latest design that I know of is from Magic > Magic 28\' DB

Fun toys!
Kelly

#129 - 12/31/02 05:49 PM Re: Deckboat, what to look at?  
Sir Mike L Offline
Vice Admiral
Sir Mike L  Offline
Vice Admiral

Southern MD
I haven't had much of a chance to take a hard look at this year's crop of deck boats yet, but did have a look recently at 4W 23-footer. I like the 4W brand overall and having owned one in the past, they still hold a place in my heart. ;\)

Deck boats in general do not blow my hair back very much. Just not my style. That said, the 4W 23' represents itself well in this class. When I get to the Baltimore show in a couple weeks, I'll have an opportunity to get up close and personal with the other offerings.

I am in agreement with others here in that the Cobalt style does not tickle my fancy.

That Magic 28 looks like it will not only blow your hair back but right off your head with the right power. Im thinking twin 8.1s.

Sir Mike L
Marineophile of the Water Table
2002 Chap 265 SSi, 8.1L VP 375 HP
2000 Ford F-250 SD 4WD, 6.8L V10
#130 - 12/31/02 09:14 PM Re: Deckboat, what to look at?  
KCook Offline
Admiral
KCook  Offline
Admiral

Phoenix
I have never seen twin I/O in a go-fast this small. These guys always opt for a single big block with supercharger instead. At 30' and above the twin applications do kick in. If you ever get a chance to ride in a boat with supercharger, go for it. The whine of the blower at high rpm can seem like science fiction.

Kelly

#131 - 12/31/02 10:24 PM Re: Deckboat, what to look at?  
Sir Mike L Offline
Vice Admiral
Sir Mike L  Offline
Vice Admiral

Southern MD
I was wondering if that were the case. I imagine a blown big block can put out the umpf to do the job nicely. ;\)

I have never been on such a boat and would leap at the chance to have such a thrill.

Sir Mike L
Marineophile of the Water Table
2002 Chap 265 SSi, 8.1L VP 375 HP
2000 Ford F-250 SD 4WD, 6.8L V10
#132 - 08/27/04 09:21 PM Re: Deckboat, what to look at?  
KCook Offline
Admiral
KCook  Offline
Admiral

Phoenix

Moderated by  Admin 

Sponsors
New Topics
VHF Radio
by Siuslaw57. 04/10/21 08:38 PM
Towing 30ft boats with a Lexus
by MarkHB. 04/10/21 03:18 PM
Boat Raft-up Product
by athiker. 04/08/21 12:08 PM
Ohhhhhhhhh boy (aka: fml) HELP Sheared off the drain plug f
by Jennifromthadock. 04/04/21 03:31 PM
Monterey vs Chaparral
by Siuslaw57. 04/03/21 01:42 PM
Scratching my head... Volvo Penta 4.3 sx Won’t crank
by Jennifromthadock. 04/03/21 08:23 AM
April 2 is a good day.
by Jack T. 04/03/21 02:03 AM
Something interesting to read this weekend--
by Frantically Relaxing. 04/02/21 08:26 PM
Rip Rap along shoreline
by MarkHB. 04/01/21 07:07 PM
You're gonna lose a TON of money when you sell it
by GoFirstClass. 03/31/21 07:57 PM
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 38 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AdamZampa, Tunachick, Siuslaw57, Jennifromthadock, Carolyn
5552 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23
Topics37,461
Posts566,352
Members5,552
Most Online252
Aug 5th, 2017